Botox Experience - Kansas City, MO

First time 4/2011. Manager of clinic is injector...

First time 4/2011. Manager of clinic is injector instructor. Mis-communication to injector RN. Was only supposed to have elevens fixed. Received 36 units in forehead. Immediate hooding, Spock, bleeding at injection sight, anxiety, racing heart, nausea, headache, severe pressure on forehead and temples, diarrhea, depression, debilitating fatigue, body aches, trouble urinating, weakness in hands.

Symptoms come and go, but 5 weeks later still manifesting 80% of time. Cancelled vacation, make "have-to" appointments but crash when I get home.

Pretty tough cookie with stiff upper lip and good sense of humor, all which have carried me through what I consider to be one of the most difficult situations I've encountered. And I've had my share of hard knocks!

Side effects were not even mentioned. I take responsibility for making a decision based on very little research, but with every other procedure I've had the potential risks have been disussed in depth. I have since read extensively on Botox side effects and realize that there are many people who have suffered tremendously after receiving injections. Bottom line, it's negligence in the medical community all for, what we can only assume, greed. Capitalizing on the vanity of those who are grasping at what we can never truly regain, our youth.

Liz, Keep that stiff upper lip. I've been through what you're dealing with. It is one of the most horrible things that has ever happened to me, but just know that the effects WILL go away. This is not a permanent condition. Be grateful you atleast know what is wrong. I had no idea it was the Botox until after it was all done and I found this forum and started putting my timeline together. I just thought I was losing my mind. Anyway, it WILL get better!
Thank you gxcgirl. I really appreciate your encouragement. It's tough! So many things I would love to be doing right now and can't.
I am praying patience for the healing process and to learn all that I am meant to learn.

Hi Liz,

Great to see a review from you. Wow, I'm sorry that happened. Did you go back and ask your doctor about it? I'm glad you are finding a way to deal with this and hope it makes it way out of  your system sooner than later. Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Thank you Britt. Yes I went back and let them know what happened. I am currently consulting with two other doctors who are aware of side effects and helping me detox. This is not as unusual as we're led to believe. Others are embarrassed and don't share. They just isolate and get through. I learned recently a friend of mine went through it over a year ago. And she knows of more. That's why these forums are so important. So, with that, thank you again.
Liz, would you please share the doctors names and contact info (website?) that are helping you?

Of course Liz! I'm really glad to hear you seeked out help and they will hopefully able to figure out how to detox you and make you feel better. Please keep us updated!

Thanks,

-Britt

Dr. Kristine Baker, Baker Chiropractic (She's been a tremendous help)

She does acupuncture and Detox among many things. Very knowledgeable in alternative health care. Moved here recently from St. Louis and just getting her new practice set up.
The other one is a Dermatologist and I need to ask his permission. Medical professionals are a tight knit group and kind of funny about publicly denouncing or even raising concerns over a big money maker like Botox. He does inject Botox but is extremely conservative and informs his patients eye to eye about potential risks. He's not one of those gushy "oh Botox is SO safe - you don't need to worry about a
thing" kind of guy. He's been a valuable resource/support as well. I would never recommend Botox to anyone, but if someone is dead set on getting it, he's the type of Doctor you would want doing it. From what I have read it appears that 99% of the help Botox sufferers receive comes from the alternative medical professionals. There are sympathetic MDs but they seem to be at a loss as to what to do to help. I am not slamming MDs. I have both in my family and there is a place for both.

Thanks for the review, I've been toying with the idea of botox for a few months and keep coming back to read updated reviews, and its ones like yours that have kept me away from the needle thus far. Just wondering, do you think it is the Botox product itself that is not good or was it injector error? Was too much injected? I'm most frightened of the anxiety and racing heart type of side effects, I know they will make anyone miserable and I don't have months of my life to wait for it to pass. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
Well if you listen to most doctors they blame it on the injector, but now after having read hundreds of posts from suffering patients I do not believe that's the case the majority of the time. Botox side effects are very real, can be debilitating, and can last up to a year. I just learned today that a friend of mine went through the same thing a year ago. Like many of us she was too embarrassed to talk about it. Very similar symptoms - panic attacks, feelings of hopelessness, depression, extreme fatigue, headaches, and pressure on forehead. She even ran a fever off and on for about six months. The last three days have been very difficult for me. Zero energy and horrible anxiety/depression. Aches. The symptoms ease for awhile and then come back in full force. This is not like me. There is no doubt in my mind that it's the Botox. I would never do it again and would have never done it if I'd read even one-fourth of the personal experiences before I got Botox.
Thank you for the well wishes. The symptoms pass 6 months to a year, so I am told. Kind of ironic that the treatment that should have made me feel a little better about myself has made me feel and look 10 years older.

comments/experiences.
I've been having Botox for 6 years, 3 times per year for first 3 and now twice a year and have never had a problem other than the first dose which was given by a Nurse and not a Doctor; I subsequently found out she was a Mid-Wife who had done a 2-day course and she injected at least 20 times into my forehead which drooped a lot over the following 2 days - it took 3 months to wear off and I went to a Plastic Surgeon who's charges were less than hers and who has done a fantastic job ever since. I've never had so much as a headache or other symptom. I have just left the UK and now have found a replacement DOCTOR who's more expensive but had another treatment one week ago and it's just as good so I'm happy. I'm 53, post menopausal and lack sleep but I put that down to hormones as I was ok before. So I say go ahead and try it if it's something you have been thinking about - just know what's possible but also remember it's not permanent. Good luck