Spironolactone Has Been a Miracle Drug for my Skin! Oakland

I have been battling mild, but persistent adult...

I have been battling mild, but persistent adult acne for years. I had most of the problem under control with topical medications - I use Finacea in the morning and a prescription retinoid every other night. That combo really helped reduce clogged pores and regular pimples. But, it didn't completely get cysts under control. I was still prone to getting periodic cysts on my chin and jawline. This problem would flare up at certain points in my menstrual cycle, or if I was stressed. I also noticed a connection between some dietary factors (dairy and soy) and cystic flares. I tried dietary changes, which helped somewhat, but didn't completely control the problem.

I was recommended spironolactone by an NP at Kaiser, so I decided to give it a try. I have been on the medication for almost 7 months now, and I have had no cysts at all. I am very, very happy with my results. I am 100% clear most of the time - just the occasional clogged pore or small zit that goes away with a couple of days. My skin responded almost immediately, and I have been able to get good results on a fairly low dose - 25 mg, 2x a day. Side effects have been minimal - just a slight increase in thirst and urination. I also noticed that the hair on my head grows faster! I don't have thinning hair at all (and I know spiro is sometimes prescribed for this), but I've definitely noticed that my hair is growing much more rapidly now. My hairstylist even asked if I was taking any hair vitamins. The only downside to that, is that my roots grow in faster between colorings, but I think I can live with that!!

My skin is also less oily since I started the medication, which is another plus. I'd definitely recommend trying this medication if you are a woman who is battling stubborn, hormonal acne.

Hi, I am happy for you!! But did you have any thick facial hair on the chin and neck?
I am so happy to hear that you found something that worked for you, cystic acne really sucks! I struggled for years with it (18-30's) and cutting out dairy, in fact all animal products, worked to clear mine up and I rather enjoy my vegan lifestyle. Do you have any scars from your acne? Are you taking progress photos, if so, are you willing to share some with us?