Just Started!

I began my Invisalign treatment on my top and...

I began my Invisalign treatment on my top and bottom teeth yesterday. All in all my orthodontist says I will need 10 months' worth of treatment. I'm not in pain, it just feels like there is pressure on my teeth, which I can cope with. What I do struggle with is taking them out - they are so tight and I have to yank at them for ages before they eventually pop out!

Does anyone have any advice on techniques for taking them out?

My thumbs are killing me from when I've had to use my thumbnails to go underneath the plastic to get a proper grip. The other thing I'd like advice on is how to deal with socialising when wearing Invisalign!

Sure you can take them out when you eat, but what do you do when you go out for drinks one evening? I don't want it to fail so I'm considering just abandoning drinking completely! Surely it isn't effective if you take them out and put them in 5 times in two hours???

Can anyone help me please?

I just got InvisiAlign yesterday. I agree with all the comments. I am most fascinated with the amount of eating I do. No with InvisiAlign, I am having to find other alternatives for social / networking gatherings I think the biggest disappointment is not having Coffee or Tea. I am assuming I have to remove trays to drink hot beverages. right?
Ive had my invisalign for about 8 weeks and i can notice the difference already. I go out every friday and sat night and take the aligner out for up to 8 hours on both evenings. im just wondering if anyone has wore them on holiday before and if the aligner will still work if i wear it less whilst on holiday but put it back on full time as i will be eating/ drinking more often!! does anyone know if it would make a difference if when i'm back to wear the same aligner for an extra week?????
Had mine in two days, love them. I'm 52 and wish these were around when I said no to braces back in high school. Really people, this is ridiculously easy. Problems, sure. You have foreign objects in your mouth, and some lifestyle accommodating to do. But buck up, it's a breeze, really. Thank God for Invisalign. And using straws for one's adult beverages or room temperature coffee, however inconvenient, will keep your addictions at bay.
It's me againnn. I'm on my 4th tray. That's 7 weeks! I feel great and love my invisalign. I am actually starting to see results. Guys, be at ease. You can drink basically whatever you want(not hot) One way i know im getting results is I tried on my very first set and it doesnt even go in anymore!I'm pretty confident Invisalign will provide me with the results I need. For those suffering with rough edges, ask ur dentist to fix it before you take off from the office. Sometimes i get so impatient but hey, so much better then 2-3 years right?
I'm 40ish and on my 4th day. First day or two was annoying (just the feel of it) but it's better now. I had no lisp or really any problems. I also suck on them sometimes like someone else mentioned and you do feel them tightening up. I wondered too if maybe they were supposed to be tighter. Sometimes I can't imagine having to wear these for a year but I keep thinking of the outcome. Hopefully I'll be happy with it. Also, I don't snack as much either. Not worth the trouble. When I have a meal I decide beforehand what I want and don't take the aligners out until I'm ready to eat. Then I have my cig, brush/floss my teeth, brush the aligners and pop them right back in. The more they're in the faster I'll be finished!I smoke too and since they'll just be in for 2 weeks at a time I'm hoping they won't get discolored that fast. Anyone else smoke with them in? I also recommend going to an ortho, NOT a dentist. (unless he/she is certified in Invisalign). I'd also like to hear from someone who is in their first few months or so. When do you start to see results?? Good luck everyone!
My friend says she is starting to see results with hers and she is in her third month. I will be starting mine this Wednesday. Hope things are going well for you.
Hi! This is my 1st posting ever to any website. All the postings I have read have made me feel not alone in this process. I'm on day 3 of invisaligns. I do regret it some but have always wanted to correct my overbite without a metal mouth. My gums and tongue have many sores so I'm not happy, The bottom aligners bother me much more than the top. My treatment should last 15 months - 2 summers to go through. It's 4am and it's hard to sleep through the night. My 8 attachments do bother me when my invisaligns are off. It's such a relif though to pop them off. Can anyone tell me about the filing of teeth? My ortho says I will need this. Thanks!
At first I hated my invisalign I got a huge sore on the side of my tongue from the back edge of it but now I'm on day 4 when I'm really getting used to it. And I think its def worth it because they are more invisible than I thought. Btw I've only been drinking water with them on do you guys think its okay to drink like sprite zero (w/o sugar) while wearing them since its light not dark soda? And does anybody know any sugar free hard candyies just to suck on to help from not snacking? I have lost like a pound in the last week just from not snacking as much.
Just had my final consult today and should have my first set of trays in 3-4 weeks. I am very excited! Reading all of these comments has put me more at ease. I will continue to post of my progress.
Just got started 3 weeks ago and began my second of 21 trays. Here's what I'd like to see: Why can't Invisalign provide a secure web site for patients to be able to visually track their progress? I was able to sit down at a desk in my dentist's office to look at and approve my specific treatment. It made me think that this would be a great selling point for Invisalign and really encouraging for me if I could actually see how far I've come and how much improvement I should expect over the next x amount of weeks and months. I can't think of any real downside for the company but there's a lot of upside from a marketing perspective. Coming from a software sales background, I don't think the technical hurdles would be too great either.
I'm a older teen thinking about getting invisalign. I don't want metal braces for obvious reasons, but I am worried about lisping with invisalign, because I like acting and don't want to lisp. How bad of a lisp do people have? And does it go away completly after a few days, or just get a little better? I currently have some orthodontic appliances in that made me lisp- it's improved a lot, but I have to try pretty hard to talk normally. Another question: does everyone have to wear some kind of retainer 'forever after'? How does this differ from retainers after metal braces? If someone has answers I'd love that!
I think its a reg retainer just like you'd have to wear after braces. I have to wear one at night for a year after I get done with my invisalign and my ortho and dentist said if you wear your retainer for less than a year after your teeth won't stay as straight.
i'm thinking of getting invisalign but haven't contacted a dentist yet. i do however, have problems with my teeth. i always have- i have hardly any enamel on my teeth which has caused me to have a lot of cavities and dental work throughout the years. i do, currently have some cavities...however, i haven't gotten them fixed and don't really intend on it since they don't bother me and when i get fillings they just fall out anyway. i was wondering if all of my cavities will HAVE to be fixed before i do invisalign or if its your choice? will they refuse to do it until they take care of all of my cavities? if someone could let me know that would be great. thanks.
Hello everyone. I am on my 3rd day with my first retainer. I thought I would die the first day but now it's not so bad. Weird not snacking but that is actually a good thing. I have been reading your comments and the only thing I wanted to note is that I still have my nightly glass of wine with my retainer in. It's white wine so it won't stain and I figure I'm going to bed within the hour anyway so I will be cleaning my retainer and brushing my teeth anyway. I have two questions.... First, when you take your retainers out to eat, how long at a clip do you leave them out? I usually take my out for about 30 mintues per meal. Is that too much? Second, today I notice that my retainer does not seem as tight. For example, imagine you are sucking out of a straw. I feel liek when I pretend to do that, I can feel my retainer tightening up...meaning it might be a bit looser. Does that make sense? Just seems odd since I'll have it for 11 more days yet. Hope it's doing it's job. Feedback appreciated! mj
Heyy. To tell you the truth, I have experienced the same thing. My aligners have gotten so loose. I can take one side of the top aligners out with my tounge. I'm only on day 10. I'll ask my dentist next time I see him. I'm also happy to report that ever since my dentist has filed the rough edges on the aligners the pain has stopped. One more question though. Does anyone else feel the strong urge to bite on the aligners? I've had this urge since the first day but it's gotten worse because now bite and grind on it all the time and while I'm eating food my teeth hurt real bad.
Hi everybody, I'm 43 and on day 10 of my first aligners. I will have 21 on top and 14 on bottom. Everything is going fine, and I recommend to everybody, BUT I am having the same problem with rough edges...also different rough spots seem to crop up randomly. So basically the tooth discomfort has been easy, very manageable, but my mouth and tongue are hurting all the time. I have filed down three different spots, and that helps. But now I also notice this liner is fitting differently and causing new sores. I suppose it makes sense that the teeth have moved so now it doesn't fit the same? Anyway I need to get some of that mouth rinse that someone mentioned and hope that the next aligners don't scrape like these. Best of luck to everyone, I CAN'T WAIT to have straight teeth!
My Ortho said to bite down 2-3 times a day, its normal, to make sure the aligners are snug, but i thing i've done it way more than I should , my teeth hurt too. biting into food is painful!
My first tray had some rough edges that caused the tongue pain/sore area that everyone speaks of. I just took the softer side of a nail file (from my manicure kit), and filed it gently down and rubbed my finger over it to make sure it was smooth. I got some mouth rinse at the drugstore that mentioned on the bottle it was for dental appliance or orthodontic pain, and rinsed with that. The combination of smoothing that rough edge down, and using the rinse? All better by the next day. I've not experienced any issue with subsequent trays.
Hey guys. I'm on my fourth day now. Everything is going pretty well. NO ONE notices it. I'm getting quite used to it. For those asking about soft drinks, my dentist told me that if it's colored, it'll make the aligners colored too so don't try it. Just go for water when out with friends or something. I do have a question though. Does anyone else feel pain in their mouth due to the sharp edges? The part where the aligners end have caused my tounge and cheeck bruises. It's hard to even swallow my spit now because my taung hurt. I took it to the doctor, he filed it, but doesnt seem to help. Does anyone else experience this and what advice can you give me?
I am having the exact same thing happening. I am on my 4th tray (of 13 for the bottom) and it is just this one that has given me problems. I tried filing it myself, but that hasn't helped. It hurts to talk because of the jagged edges against my tongue and the sublingual area. I am hoping this is a fluke and the next one will be like normal. If not, I will be seeing my dentist more often so he can fix this!
I'm on my first week of Invisalign and it is definately not as bad as I imagined. As for cleaning, I tried to start out right..with flossing and brushing after eating, which has cut down my snacking. I can't say that I have a solution for someone who wants to go out for drinks, but tooth decay is definately worth considering. Perhaps taking the aligners out until drinks are over would be a better choice..you can always wear that week's aligner longer but you can't undo a cavity (fix, yes; go back in time to prevent, no). MelodyD--sleeping with them on is probably the easiest part, considering you won't have to think about taking them out for food, being able to take them out at all, how your teeth are biting weird, etc.
I started mine on Wednesday, I'm having terrible pain when taking the top one out and also putting it back in, I've been told that it will ease up after a few days. I am looking forword to the end results but I'm struggling with the thought of pain for the next 14 months. Has anybody else experienced this sort of pain?
melodyD...Yes, wear them at night. I just finished my first month. I am averaging 21 - 22 hours a day with them in. And, doing quite well, according to my provider.
IM GETTING READY TO START MINE IN ABOUT A MONTH.WHAT ABOUT SLEEPING WITH THEM?DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE THEM OUT AT NIGHT?
This is my first day on InvisiAlign. So far not too bad. Like everybody else, I've also got lisping, and I hope it will go away in a couple of days. Snappin it back is so much easier than taking them out. When I was doing it in the bathroom before lunch, I gathered some curious looks. My plan is to have breakfast and lunch only, but I can see it will be difficult for some social occasions. If nothing else, this treatment should form a very healthy habit.