Just Had Fraxel and IPL

I have decided to prevent the process of aging...

I have decided to prevent the process of aging with the tools available. Also, I wish to reduce pores sizes and light wrinkles. Firstly, I am mixing IPL, as suggested by my dermatologist and Fraxel and secondly, I am taking care of my skin on a daily basis. I have used Retin A, Kinetase and vitamin C creams alternatively. I am using Botox every so often. I guessed that a little prevention will go a long way. I have been avoiding the sun as much as I can. Fraxel has been a little invasive but it is too early for me to tell.

My second treatment, 7 weeks apart from the first, is coming up in January. I am getting two IPL and two Fraxel. In reading the reviews, I guess I will have a third one. I am using Fraxel II. The nurses have been wonderful. I have been getting the Vbeam perfecta as well as a treat after the IPL. I hope to be happy with the results as anyone of you wishes. Women have always wanted to look younger... I guess I am no different. I just hope I get my money 's worth.

I had the CO2 about 10 years ago. I was a bit young for it but I was doing this to prevent the aging process. I hope to have a good experience with Fraxel II. I had 3 passes and I pay 1,000 per treatment for Fraxel II and 400 per IPL/vbeam. Hope this is helpful!

oh charmainelian I think you should check out Fraxel REPAIR vs Fraxel Restore, because there is a huge difference, I mean for yr mom. Look at Dr. Persky's explanations, they helped me, you can find him on here. If you have any questions I asked one and he responded so fast I was impressed! He explains stuff well for dummies like me, too.:)

I've just completed my second fraxel treatment and I'm 65. The results are stunning and it's not all that painful. The treatments I receive are from Infini here in Scottsdale and the price has been reduced from $700 to $500 so I took advantage!Infini is located on Osborn Drive between Miller and Scottsdale Road. This is Dr. Hall's practice and they are very professional and the office setting is very peaceful and pleasing.

You're given numbing cream to put on 45 minutes before the proceedure and then a couple of pills to reduce swelling and pain, if you want. You can't drive yourself home! There is also a prescription for a drug to reduce your chance of herpes simplex (cold sores), if you need.

The proceedure itself only lasts about 20 minutes and the laser is guided over your face a total of 4 times. You're given a cold air wand so that you can target your "hot" spots yourself. I'll be honest in that by the 4th pass things get a little sensitive. You're given a cold compress to use on your ride home and away you go!

For the first day your face will be red, just like a sunburn and you should have a moisturizing gell like CU3 to keep your skin supple for the first 4 days. You don't want to peel early.

A frozen bag of peas will help if you have discomfort and you should sleep with your head elevated to diminish swelling.

You should be advised to use a mild cleanser for the first four days and you can shower as you normally would.

In 4 to 5 days you should have a glowing complexion.

I have adult acne and there was one suprise to all this. After my first treatment I had about 30 pimples come to the surface and that was a whole new set of problems. They gave me an antibiotic. The second treatment I've had no erruptions. I understand the reason for the pimples coming to the surface the first time was that the fraxel targets that lower level of skin and the impurities were simply brought to the surface. I have absolutely no little bumps of any kind now and my skin looks wonderful.

Congrats on the wonderful result! Would you be able to share some photos? My mom is considering to try fractional laser but she thought since she's in her late 50s her recovery ability should be slow therefore might lead to poor result.
I am sure it looks good, but it sounds like a strong peel, not with the type change I am looking for -- I could just get a peel and have the same results and the doc's office wouldn't have to spend money on a huge, expensive machine.
I was 65!! Your mom should have no problems.
Hello, I have been reading these comments with interest. I am also 61 and on the verge of considering having Fraxel Erbium YAG laser treatment but very apprehensive about possible side-effects such as hyperpigmentation, pain during procedure etc etc. So, if there are 60 somethings out there who have had it done, please comment.
Hi Roshindu -- so curious, did you have it done? CBanda was wonderful re his advice, because he summed up in a nutshell what I was thinking as I read some of those other comments. One woman above was seeking maximum improvement for minimum money, like me -- and I really hope she didn't go the nonablative, time-consuming Fraxel route....Cbanda is correct in saying ablative of course does the most good, although downtime is pretty horrific, I have read. I have NOT had it done, but am considering it -- and yours is another I am considering, so did you do the Profractional Erbium? I think CBanda explained that it is ablative, like CO2 or Fraxel Repair.
Hi, If we had a magic wand...
The best laser... is the CO2... it is rarely used... but really... it improves thickness, texture, imperfections... it is a controlled burn... hence the healing time... the industry has come up with all kinds of new alternatives, but let's face it... if you are serious about improvements, wrinkle or acne free skin, improved texture in time... well... the CO2 for me was the only intelligent choice... even today, I have concluded that it is the best laser... and the frills and ornate alternatives do not seem to bring results like it did... you will need serious healing time compared to the alternatives... if you want results... nothing comes easily... I am thinking of doing my neck and around the eyes... but I am worried about healing time... I wish I would have done those area 14 years ago all at once... and not to have to worry about it now...
I have not done the Erbium, it was CO2... I wish I could help more...
Josephine, when and where did you have the CO2 done? You mean the nonfraxel version, fully ablative one? And no hyperpigmentation? I read from a doc on here that they never go all the way up on the CO2 machine, and that it yields great results and that many with Fraxel Repair had the untouched skin still looking bad, since it doesn't treat everything, if that makes any sense -- I hope so! I know the downtime for CO2 is DREADUL, but seems worth it. Maybe I should wait till it all falls or I can be put to sleep, in about ten years -- and sleep for six months!!!!
Hi,
It was 14 years ago... and yes wait until the end of September, you do not want to miss the summer... and yes, if you have an experienced reputable doctor, I suggest the CO2... you do not have time to waist with partial treatments... and yes, you should get the whole picture... hypo or hyper pigmentation can result from these procedures... but at 65, your skin texture will be revived... and thicker... the glow... you will be happy... but consult your doctor... do you have extensive sun damage? Let me know what you decide... the best after the procedure... is to stay home for 4 to 6 weeks... avoid the sun completely... rest... take pain killers if you need to... in the first 2 to 3 weeks... it will be very itchy... so be prepared to take benadryl or any other medication which will help... after 4 weeks, you will be very red...
I would use cicaplast after the 3 to 4 weeks (under your doctor advise)...
The redness will completely vanish after 5 to 6 months.. but you will not like to go out until the first 6 weeks have passed... it is better you prepare... for this... and after 6 weeks, with some make-up... you will be okay... little outings... after 10 to 12 weeks you will be used to it... and X-mas... will be the mark of your 3 months benchmark... January/February will pass quickly... and by next March... you will be done... but keep in mind... no sun after this treatment... no sun exposure... at least for the first couple years... sunscreen and you are okay... but no lying down under the sun... I was 35 when I did this... and believe me... it was difficult... the procedure is a breeze because you are under anestisia... but the downtime is real...
Josephine
Fraxel Repair is the latest in the Fraxel family of fractional resurfacing lasers. The other two are Fraxel Refine and Fraxel Restore. The Repair is an ablative CO2 laser which only came out in January 2008. The Active FX (CO2) and ProFractional (Erbium) are two other ablative lasers. There are a few others on the market. Depending on what settings are used you should be able to get excellent corrective results for wrinkles, sun damage spots and acne scars in a single treatment with the ablative fractional lasers. As pointed out here, there will be some down time. My reading of the testimonials here suggests people are comparing several different technologies. The results from ablative resurfacing should be quite dramatic. The buzz these days is about ablative fractional resurfacing (both CO2 and Erbium). Maybe some who have had this procedure could comment here. Any Fraxel done prior to January 2008 was most likely non ablative and yes that does require several treatments.
I hear all these wonderful comments from relatively young people, I am 61 and would love to hear comments from people in this age group. At least 50 and up. Thank You Paula
I've had five fractional laser treatments and about to have a sixth. Not sure about the benefits which seem to be minimal. Making the choice to go for this treatment because I was informed that it would treat fine lines, open pores and pigmentation as well as neck and chest area. The results, reduced fine lines and slight firming of skin but little difference to open pores and I think the pigmentation is either unchanged of worse. As the cumulative cost of 6 individual treatments I'm not sure it is worth it compared to one treatment with CO2. Each time I have fractional laser I have 36 hour downtime so this is adding up to quite a few days which would have been = to the downtime for erbium or co2. The big difference was that I was told that other lasers are not used on the neck area and I feel that is looks a bit odd to have non matching face and neck so the improvement has to cover the total area.
I just read about the ActiveFx. It is a CO2. One treatment and 5 to 7 days only of downtime... I actually see some tightening of my tow fraxel treatment only 4 weeks after. It is a soft laser and total effect are seen after 4 months or so after the first treatment. I am also a bit disappointed but I like the results. If one is rich that is great... J
I also had the CO2 laser a few years back. It was PAINFUL after waking up from the procedure! I only had it around my eyes since that was the only place I had light wrinkling. It took all the wrinkles away...the results were wonderful, but the pain & redness was practically unbareable!!! It burned if water touched my face for at least two weeks after the laser (CO2), and the area was a bright, deep red for MONTHS after the procedure. I had to keep makeup on the treated area any time I went out so no one could see the redness. After about three months, the redness started to fade. I would say it was gone completely in about six months. However, the wrinkles are gone...I love the results. I am now considering the Fraxel laser for the rest of my face & neck. I am only 33 (was 28 when I had the CO2) so there is just minimal lose skin & some fine lines between the brows. The skin on my neck seems to be the most lose area (genetics I guess). First, the doctor recommended me to try prescription skin care, then try Fraxel.
Hello, You are well versed at your age in the treatments available. I have kept on researching on the internet about the different lasers available. Did you ever inquire about the ActiveFx. This might be more appealing to you regarding wrinkles as it offers 50% more collagen stimulation than Fraxel (5 sessions). Both lasers seems to be excellent for pores and acne scares but in my readings it seems evident that this newer laser ActiveFx offers a little more... less money overall and less downtime... it is done in only one session et voilà... versus Fraxel over months of downtime(if you had all the treatments 4 to 6... ) There is no such laser in Toronto or Montreal so I will wait. I had two IPL and two Fraxel in two months... the results are not that great... compared to the CO2. Please read on the fractional CO2 treatments out there... you will be pleased with what is offered... All the best, Josephine X
Dear Debbie, First of all thank you for choosing me, I am touched. I have done great research on the topic of lasers. I can tell you that the best one for acne, by the comments and researchers I read, is the Fraxel. Also the CO2 or Erbium. It must be an ablative laser. The advantage with the Fraxel is that you will be affected for 3 to 7 days... where you will need to apply make-up and the recovery is about two weeks. Each treatment will increase in intensity. I pay 1000$ per treament. Just had my second yesterday... and I am a nice little pumkin... I received 8 passes with various intensity on the chin, cheeks, nose and eyes, forhead, neck etc... I am getting 2 frazel and 3 IPL. I do not have acne scares but do have a bit of open pores and slight wrinkles. I read in the numerous research that you will need at least 4 to 6 treatments and if I were you I would ask for a 5th one as a bonus.. negociate a bit... If you have deep acne scars, you will need at least 5. You might be lucky in negociating who knows? The IPL only treats superficially and unifies the skin tone.It is also recommended for the pores, but not as good as Fraxel. The C02 is very intrusive, at least two to three weeks out of the office and terribly red for 2 to 3 months.. and you must hide from the sun for 6 months at least. What happens with Fraxel is that you need recovery time (few days) and you must wait about 4 months before you see the results. Your collagene will be stimulated as well to fade light wrinkles but not deep ones and neither for very very deep acne scars, it will help but not totally. Your skin will tighten a bit as well. It is preferable to do the treatment 7 to 8 weeks apart and pay as you go. Given your financial situation, it is crucial you pay as you go. For the pain, I take a serax or clonazanpen or xanax before I step in the office (45 minutes before). So you are relaxed, than I receive a 5mg or 10 mg activan and a percocet, plus they apply Lidocaine one whole hour before the procedure. If they do your eyes they will put a metal shell in your eye and freeze your eye with a drop (it is instantenious). The procedure with all those little pills makes it tolerable and not so bad at all. Please you owe it to yourself to prepare. It is a laser after all so prepare with proper medication, you will do just fine. Ask your doctor for fucidine, it is a antibiotic creme. I use it the day of and the following week to prevent little breakouts... I also use cicaplast from LaRochePosay, excellent hydratation so desperately needed my your skin after. Do not use vaseline or too tight hydratants. What you are doing also is preventing the aging process a little. I can also suggest one or two IPL laser treatment at the end of your Frazel or in between to even out your skin tone about 3 weeks apart. I know it is much cheaper and can be done after you last treatment or in between. IPL is very good for pores as well and you can do this treatment after your initial big treatments as a maintenance. Once a year is good as well but twice is better... it is much better than any cremes or facials out there. Also you can start drinking a bit more water and your daily care is crucial as well twice daily and in your case three times daily: cleaning your face with a delicate milk or what your dermatologist refers you, lotion or astringent, hydration and sunscreen. If you have oily skin just go for the eye hydration, lip hydration and for the rest of your face try to find a sunscreen that is good for your skin condition not to block the pores. Is it a Frazel II laser??? Are they doing your eyes too? I know this is a hard decision. But being informed is key and trusting your dermatologist. I hope he is or she is the one performing the procedure. Let me know if you need any further info... I also heard about the Erbium Yag.. but have not had time to further my research. Rest assured that you are a woman that cares about her looks and that is normal. Trying to feel better by giving yourself the best treatment out there is an excellent approach. It is the rollroyce of lasers. You will get the results you seek I am sure. Let me know about your decision. I hope you can also get the Retinol .05% after you have completed all of your treatments and your skin is not sensitive anylonger, it will help reduce the pores as well... And alternate it with a very light night creme, one night retinol the other your light night creme.... and vitamine C creme as well, stay away from rich cremes and all the commercial fluff of creme commercials... Looks is not all but as women, let's be honest... a little help can make us feel better. I hope you will be able to find the money without stressing yourself too too much... I am wishing you a new year 2008 of health, love and PEACE... All the best, Kindly, Josephine
I would love to know your age and how this is working for you. I am 42 and am on the verge of scheduling appts for Fraxel. I have had a consultation and just talked with the nurse today. Some of these comments make me very worried because I live on a tight budget and do not have $3400 for the 4 treatments. It's going to really set me back to finance it. I've lived with acne/acne scarring, large pores and oily skin for almost 30 yrs now. and now wrinkles and crow feet.I just for once in my life would like to feel good about my self and can smile in the sunshine w/o worrying how i look.