33 Years of Being Overweight Done with - Jacksonville, FL

I am going through the stages of testing to get...

I am going through the stages of testing to get approved for sleeve surgery. I am at 327 lbs, and have been overweight most my life. I need to do this do to chronic joint pain, I know it will just get worst, my mom had her hips replaced at 49. Just nervous and embarrassed I have to do this way. Looking for some support.

waiting game

I have my last appt. and that is with the nutritionist. Then they send it for review to insurance. I have aready started telling some people and I have been looking at smaller clothes, I can't wait to wear some thing that does not have an X in front of it, I really liked New York and Co. clothes

Date scheduled, The end of a new beginning

The other day I met with my surgeon and we scheduled surgery for August 8th. A lot of emotions are going thru my head, but I know it's for the best.

Surgery

I had my surgery August 8th. I am home, a little sore. But the hardest part is drinking or eating anything and taking my meds crushed are awful. The morning of surgery I weighed in as 310. When I started this whole thing I was 328 lb.

One week post surgery

I am under 300!!! 298 lbs. So I have lost 14 lbs. since surgery. I have been doing ok. Its been hard finding things to eat blended while watching others around eat. I am getting bored with all the dairy food, and want more flavor. It has been tough, it definitely is not an easy way out.

That is great! I had to get artistic with my food lol. I always wondered about why they dont say baby food?I asked my surgeon he said he thought it would be a good thing .I was slowly on soft foods in a month .I had Mini Gastric Bypass.It is not an easy way out just a tool. We work hard as well. Keep busy before you know the hard part will pass!!! Good luck!
I am finally finished with all my test just need see my family dr on wed. Now I have to play the waiting game with insurance. I am nervous and scared all at the same time. I weigh 295 I have always been small even after my daughter I went down to my size 21 years ago. I got married 10 years ago and yep. You can tell I was happy alright. Good luck to all
Yes it sucks to watch everyone eat normal portions or what we used to eat.... Every day battle...
Congrats on your new journey!You are doing great!! It gets easier as you go along.Cottage cheese was my thing and yogurt. I always wondered about baby food when I was first out . I am 9 months post op and at 174 .I started at 262.Good luck it does get easier!!
Congrats on your surgery. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress along the way. I have been to my 1st seminar and have internalist, psych & Dr. appointments for in 2 weeks. I hope to be joining you on the losing side by mid-September. Keep up the good work, you have a couple of cute kids to get healthy for.
Just a day passed - crushed tablets ugh! Still, that's a short term problem only and health and happiness the long term solution, I'll take it thanks! I'll watch for your progress with interest!
Under a month! I'll be looking forward to reading your slim-me-journey! All the best!
You'll be so happy you did it, trust me. When I got my date it all seemed real and I just wanted to forget the whole thing, after all I'd been fat for years so why bother now? I was sleeved two weeks ago and it is the best thing I ever did, I'm so glad I didn't change my mind. Food doesn't rule my life, I'm not hungry, I'm losing weight and I feel fantastic. The op was a breeze. Mid August you'll be saying the same thing. I have terrible rheumatoid arthritis and I know it would have been worse without this surgery.
Awwww welcome!!! Don't be ashamed this is a commitment to u! U won't regret it it's the best decision I've ever made!!! Congrats on taking the first steps!
I hope you get a good decision soon! My op for 5/10 was cancelled so now I'm 6/14, the nerves haven't kicked in this time, but they didn't last time until I was actually in hospital. I started the liquid diet again four days ago. Keep us posted!
I am 37 years old mom of two I had gastric sleeve on November 22nd 2014 Start weight 278 weight now 230 any questions email me momkernop@gmail.com
I had band and now Am having it taken out I only lost 45 pounds with it and threw all the time... Food gets stuck all the time.. I am having it removed and getting the sleeve on July 2nd. I would opt for the sleeve! Just my opinion ? Ll h The time
I go to Mayo clinic, I actually went to get the band, and they said they stopped doing it because of all the failures and problems, that's when they wanted me to do one of the surgerys.
Did you get the sleeve?
no not yet, finishing all the appts. to get approved. So probably in the next month.
I had the band removed and then had the sleeve it works so much better
Christiekernop.. When did u have the sleeve? How much have u lost so far?
Nov22 2014 lost 50 lbs
Butting in here, my surgeon said his honest belief is that if a surgeon tells a patient with more than 40/50 pounds to lose that a band will solve all their problems, he's only in it for the money. The sleeve isn't reversible, that's true, but it also has way fewer downsides than a by pass. I'm having one because I am over three hundred pounds and just 5 4, I've dieted many times, lost and regained more. I'm hoping the sleeve will give me that extra foothold so I can beat my weight problem once and for all.
Oops, that was for rklandis 76 at the bottom. :s
Right, same here, both my parents had the bypass 15 years ago, and last year my dad died to due to misdiagnosis because they said he was just not absorbing protein and they did not know why he kept having clotting issues, when he pasted he had really bad liver disease at 61.
You're in the right place! Well done you for taking control and doing this, from what others have said it's the best decision they have ever made. I'm being sleeved just before you on May 10th, I'll be sure to update whenever I can so you can read it. There are three of us being done within a month of each other so you have two surgery buddies :) Don't be embarrassed, I am too, but it makes no sense to be. We are taking positive steps to change our lives and improve our health, what's to be ashamed about? I am about your weight too, it would take years to lose what I need to on a 'diet' and I can't stick to it for that long, we need a tool to help. It's been proven that diets don't work in the long term unless one changes for life, we will be doing just that. Don't be a stranger, we're always here if you need us.
Welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Don't ever be embarrassed. We've all either been, or currently are, in your position. This is a tough journey, which takes a lot of hard work and effort, for which you should never feel ashamed. You can do this! :-)
We were all nervous - embarrassed - don't be! Look, people have all kinds of problems - eating and weight is minor compared to some. People can stop drinking, smoking, gambling and doing drugs - we HAVE to eat - forever so it's even harder for us - we just can't stop! I had the sleeve on 3/20 - I'm down 41 lbs from my highest weight in January - it's not "easy" but it's worth it - there are still moments I regret it but 99.9% of the time - I'm so thankful I will finally have this under control. Right now I'm seriously struggling with getting the shakes in and the constipation that comes from them and not having the energy I want to exercise but I know every day is a new day and I'm only a month+ out from surgery - baby steps! You can do this!!
Thanks for writing. Wow you have lost that much already, good job. What did you start at? So have you started eating any food yet? What are you doing for your exercise?