Retin A Blog - Irvine, CA

It's been 1 week so far and I'm planning...

It's been 1 week so far and I'm planning to track my progress on here. I want to write down what I'm doing and I hope you guys can help me regulate what I do so that I can achieve the same successful results. what I'm using: Cetaphil Facial Wash (gentle) --> Should I switch to a bar? Aveeno SPF 15 for daytime. Anti-Itch Cream Night: A small amount of Retin-A-Micro every other night after washing my face and waiting 30 minutes to apply. So far this is what I look like: Is this normal? I broke out like crazy with a million tiny pimples all over my forehead. Like everyone else I'm going to stick with it until the 6th week but what should I do? Should I minimize the number of times I use it to once a week?

I just got Clindamycin Lotion! It's an antibacterial, no? I'm going to start doing that every morning as well.

Thanks for the washcloth advice, I'll try this all for 1 week and update next week. Many people recommend not scrubbing your face, though. Maybe the washcloth might be too rough on me. I'm using a damp flat rounded cotton so far.

I'm happy for the support! Work will be quite excruciating with this all over my face but I'm going to try and tame my breakouts.

I soooo understand how hard it is with the breakouts/flaky skin - just plain embarrassing. It won't be like that forever, promise!!

As for if the Clindamycin is an antibacterial...I don't honestly know. I thought it was a topical antibiotic. Since neither of us know we'll just refer to it as a special magic potion. ;)

So I posted a question in our Q&A section for us asking "I'm Using Clindamycin with Retin-A. What Exactly is Clindamycin?" You can click here to see what the doctors said.

1/10/2012 - 1/15/2012 It's been 5 days since I...

1/10/2012 - 1/15/2012

It's been 5 days since I last updated and I consider this... week 2. Now have a historical feel to how I'll react to the medication the very next day.

Completely inflamed! So therefore, I'm reducing the number of times I'm using it to once every 3 days now...

Since getting retin A micro I've purchased a very strong moisturizer to wear at night and during the daytime (along with sunblock).
I am also drinking a lot more water.
I exfoliate during my morning showers by scrubbing my face.

What my skin looks like now:

The millions of pimples which came out on the initial purge are now all gone except for 1 or 2 small bumps.

I have a large pimple near my chin that just came out as of yesterday.

The redness is around the frontal part of my face and not near my scalp or at the back of my cheeks. Also, it is more evenly red instead of random blotches all over my face.

I don't know if I'm extremely allergic to it or if it's working but the small bumps are no longer there and I see my skin clearing up (except for the huge pimple near my lip).

Should I drastically reducing the number of times I'm using RAM until the redness goes away? Should I discontinue use and retry it again but only at the pace of once a week? What should I do?

My skin feels scaly, like an alligator's skin.

i dont know why people are not putting their comments on such a informative blog? this is really a good blog i like it and appreciate that you are telling something about retin a cream which is really a good product. thanks,
I agree about the sunscreen, especially as Retin A will make you more sunsensitive. As for the breakouts, perhaps the base - cream or ointment - of the RAM has something to do with it. . .

Hey Redredred,

I'm not a doctor, so definitely would encourage you to see your doctor about how your skin is reacting if you think it could possibly be an allergy. You can also post your question about it in our Q&A section (the doctors volunteer on here so its free to use).

As for layman's advice from me - I'd cut back the use to a point where your skin can tolerate it, then build up from there as needed. As I said before, I can't use it every night, but now after months of lighter use I'm seeing good change.

Dr. Do