IPL Worked Great for Me

I had four IPL treatments over the course of 8...

I had four IPL treatments over the course of 8 months and my skin looks great.

I am 41, very fair with red undertones, had some sundamage and broken capilaries, and fine wrinkles under my eyes. IPL improved everything dramatically except for the fine wrinkles. I look 10 years younger.

I have a very experienced, dedicated laser nurse who is up on all the technology and works in a well-known cosmetic surgeon's office.

The worst thing I can say about it is it hurts (I didn't ever use numbing cream) and my face was swolen for 24 hours afterwards. It seems like purpura and burns can happen if the energy level is too high or you have darkish skin- I'd really check around for someone who knows what their doing before trying IPL.

I haven't had IPL in a few years, and just...

I haven't had IPL in a few years, and just went to get my back and neck done. They have a new Palomar system at the cosmetic surgeon's office where I go to have my treatments, and it hurts a lot less (actually not at all) than the older Quantum system (which was pretty painful, but effective). But, the Palomar Starlux IPL handpiece also didn't seem to do much of anything at the same energy level (23 Joules, I'm very fair). Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Diane Fownes-Miller, RN, at Roseville Facial Plastic Surgery

See above explanation.

Hi Claire i would really appreciate if you'll give me the whole information of your RN, at Roseville Facial Plastic Surgery
it will be really nice to know where you have your treatment done? Thanks
Hi Queengodiva, Provider info appears above the review. You must be signed into RealSelf to view. This requires free registration for an account.
Sharon, I am not seeing Clair's pictures and can you tell me how or where one can share photos? I assume that I must be signed in as at the top of computer it says: "sign out" so even though I don't seem to have to officially sign in to comment, I must always be signed in so why don't I see her pictures. I have also made several comments but I'm not getting any e-mails telling me that I received any replies. BTW, I've noticed there appears to be hundreds of manufacturers of IPL machines and scrolling through the results, doesn't seem to be a clear correlation between cost and results. Have you noticed that as well? (ie paying more doesn't guarantee results, etc.)

Hi chellamia,

Claire has removed her photos from the review, so that's why you're not seeing them any more. You can share photos yourself by writing a review. There's a Photo Upload box on the review form to share before & after pictures.

I've checked your account and you are supposed to receive new replies to certain threads (I can email you a list if that would help). These emails are sent out once a day. Have you ever received any? If you use spam filters on your email it's possible they're getting routed there by accident. If not, let me know and I'll ask our web team to look into it.

I hadn't noticed the IPL issue but now I have to go look. :) If it's something we can find a way to address in our review pages, we'll certainly do so.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
--Sharon

Hi Claire, Congrats on your success with IPL! That's great! Would you mind telling me where you went to get your treatment? I am in the Sacramento area and am looking for someone to do this. Thank you!
Hi Clair I live in your area, 42, with fair skin. Lots of broken capillaries/blotchieness, also brown spots. Would love to see your before/after pics.I want my face to be "one color" instead of red/white and spots!! Thanks for posting here.
My first series of IPL (four total) were finished in October 08, and I will go for one more this year for maintenance. I think it worked great and am posting a picture in case you are curious about what my skin looks like. I can't say enough good things about it.
Hi Everyone, I read all the reviews on this site yesterday and had my procedure done this morning. I wanted to post my results to your review. I have to say I was somewhat anxious about what my personal experience would be after reading that a lot of posters had bad experiences. The dematologist that I use is nationally known for being a leader in his field and I have been going to him for 12 years. That gave me confidence that they would treat me gently and responsibly. My skin is very fair, pink undertones and some minor freckling that I've had since my teen years. I have a good complexion and wanted to see if this treatment would erase or minimize my freckles. My technician this morning was very educational and explained everything to me as she was doing it. She first removed my moisturizer and sunscreen and then applied very cold sonogram gel onto my face. She "zapped" the light many times over my cheek and nose area, both sides. Each zap was very sharp and uncomfortable but the sensation is not lingering. It felt like being stunk by a horsefly. The most uncomfortable area to have done is your nose as it has more nerve endings. I was tender there for about 1 hour after the procedure. I suffered NO redness, no long-term pain and no sensitivity. She did tell me that we would see immediate results and that any darker areas showing up on my face was a sign that the pigmentation would "lift off" and within a week these freckles would wash off. She said it would look like little flecks of black pepper. I will say the procedure was uncomfortable but I had been wanting this done for 3 years. Just try to chill and get through it the best you can. With a good technician, the procedure does not take that long. The very quick stinging sensation is the worst part. To aid in recovery, they wrap your face in very cold compresses that feel so good and refreshing. I hope others have as good an experience as I did and I can't wait to see how I look after my 3rd treatment.
Hi, Would you please consider posting a review so more of our visitors can read about your experience? Thanks! --Sharon
It's been almost 2 months since your first treatment, please can u tell us how u did so far, how's it going with your other treatments? Thanks op
Hi, I posted a picture of my face so you can see the results. I will try to get the "before" polaroid from my laser nurse- I was very red, splotchy, and had numerous sun freckles. In the photo I am only wearing primer and Philosophy's Supernatural Airbrush Canvas, which provides light coverage since I don't like heavy makeup. I hope this helps. My laser hair removal and botox have been great, but I need a botox touchup since I haven't had one since August.