8 IPL treatments over 3 years, an excellent procedure for sun damaged fair skin

Pros: good for clearing sun pigmentation on light...

Pros: good for clearing sun pigmentation on light skin people. Can be performed by well trained non-medical staff (so no extra fees). No down time (skin looks a bit dirty for a week but not really noticeable). Tends to even out skin texture as a side benefit. Safe and relatively painless. Cons: A bit painful around sensitive parts the first session. You need to wear sunscreen every day after or you lose the benefits. Tends to target the pigment a bit unevenly, unlike lasers, so you really need at least 3 treatments. Takes a week (2 weeks on the body) for skin to renew. I got it because I wanted to even out my skin tone with no down time. I'm happy with the results. I will do another session, and then maybe one per year to maintain the results. I'm also undertaking to do chest and arms with good results.

I've now undertaken 5 IPL treatments face,...

I've now undertaken 5 IPL treatments face, neck, upper torse, back and arms. At a cost of around US$5,000 and 1 hour each treatment.

I correct what I said about pain. As my clinician gradually upped the dosage, it got so painful at times I wanted to jump off the table. But I knew it would be worth it.

IPL didn't achieve fully clear skin with me, the final result was subdued, gentle beige freckling which is actually a more pleasant, natural colour for my complexion. I saw some party photos recently and my skin looks healthy and glowing.

I give IPL full thumbs up if you're of Irish complexion, and living in a country where sun damage is really hard to avoid. At the very least I'm now wearing daily SPF 30 sunblock on all exposed skin, and that has to be a plus.

I added another photo 6 months after finishing the...

I added another photo 6 months after finishing the five treatments, as I'd heard the results may not last. I found however that they lasted as long as I was diligent with sunscreen.

There's also been a lot of scare postings on Realself claiming that invisible damage will present itself long after treatment. I find no evidence of this.

Had another maintenance IPL treatment of full face...

Had another maintenance IPL treatment of full face and neck (called photo rejuvenation). Picked up some darker pigments, especially around my lower neck where I sometimes forget to put sunblock and a hat doesn't help.

The proc was $200 though it's a special ongoing rate, so it would normally be $250. I have it pretty much on max setting.

As always I haven't discovered any negative effects of IPL, and my face looks much fresher and clearer.

I mentioned to my clinician about some reports of burning and damage on Realself. She admitted that the problem is the practice is currently unregulated in my country, and there are incompetent practitioners doing it and burning people. She noted that she personally had to train for 3 years to do IPL.

3.5 years later

It's been over 3 years now since I had IPL. They said that if I went out in the sun the pigmentation would come back, but it never did, not in that permanent way it used to hang around. I might freckle a bit when I'm on holidays but it just fades away after a few weeks.

I know some people worry that it ages the skin, but ironically the place my skin aged the most was where I didn't get the IPL, like under my chin and neck. The rest of the skin is in really good shape. I think the IPL actually regenerates the collagen there.
Results Laser