IPL Ruined my Face

I had an IPL treatment 2 years ago and still...

I had an IPL treatment 2 years ago and still seeing the damage coming out on my face!

I had started out with some minor fine lines, some sun spots and large pores. Was told that IPL would "clean everything" up and my skin texture would improve.

After the procedure, my face swelled and my eyes swelled so much I could barely see. That went down after several days and for about 3 weeks, my face looked really good. Then the horror began. I noticed major hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and a big dent on my right cheekbone. Also my lower left cheek had started to droop.

I was given prednisone for this "swelling" which did nothing. After that I began to develop crescent-shaped welts over my cheeks. These have gradually contracted down so I now have crescent-shaped depression scars on my cheeks and chin. I thought all the damage would have surfaced by now, but continue to notice increasing scarring.

I am now on Tazorac to try to increase collagen production. We'll see ( I have a new doctor). I will probably end up having some sort of dermal filler to try to even out the scarring and holes that have come out on my face. I am devastated and rarely go out of the house except to go to work.

They are too aggressive in the treatment and burned my face.

Dont believe DDCNGA .She is just pushing a product on her site.PSGOLD. I was on her forum and that's all she tells people to try. My doctor said it's a overpriced product that doesnt work for laser damage.
Your comment is unfair and untrue. The forum has existed for over THREE years. I've been working with people harmed for over SEVEN years. I did not even know of the existence of PG until January of this year. I have and do recommend certain products to people because others have been helped by them. What you are saying is slanderous and not true. I'm not sure why you felt the need to come make such a post and such a hurtful one. I've worked with thousands who've been harmed by cosmetic devices from Awalk to Christine Hoene. I've poured my heart and soul into researching and helping people and doing what I can to bring about awareness to this issue for many, many years, including using my own money and years of my personal time devoted to this cause. I'm truly sorry if you've been harmed. But, I did not harm you. If you wrote to me, I probably took the time to reply to you. I just don't understand why you would come here to write such a thing. I hope you find peace. I will pray for your healing.
Don't listen to DDCNGA .Her website is all about pushing PSGOLD.
Your comment is unfair and untrue. The forum has existed for over THREE years. I've been working with people harmed for over SEVEN years. I did not even know the existence of PG until January of this year. I have and do recommend certain products to people because others have been helped by them. What you are saying is slanderous and not true. I'm not sure why you felt the need to come make such a post and such a hurtful one. I've worked with thousands who've been harmed by cosmetic devices from Awalk to Christine Hoene. I've poured my heart and soul into researching and helping people and doing what I can to bring about awareness to this issue for many, many years, including using my own money and years of my personal time devoted to this cause. I'm truly sorry if you've been harmed. But, I did not harm you. If you wrote to me, I probably took the time to reply to you. I just don't understand why you would come here to write such a thing. I hope you find peace. I will pray for your healing.
I had an IPL 5 days ago - full face treatment. Right after the procedure my face was flushed and a little bit swollen. I am 36, fair complexion and I had it hoping that it will help my skin texture as I have oily skin, some enlarged pores and some fine superficial lines. My skin looks good otherwise. Swelling was gone the next day but I still have a burning sensation and my skin feels tight. It is unpleasant. I am hoping so much it will recover. I am very sorry I did it and now I am worried it could have some more negative effects in the future. I wish I did more research prior this procedure. If I would read posts on this website I would not do it. I took today pictures of my face how it looks now and I will be the happiest person if it will stay how it is including all those imperfections I wanted originally to improve. I certainly will never do this and any kind of laser ever again.
I had an IPL done several months ago. I had mild acne before. Well, ever since the IPL my skin is ridiculously dry, i mean horrible. I wash my face with skin medica cleanser that is "soap-free" and it feels like i just had a chemical peel. I am so distressed over this. Also, i never had any other issues but ater the IPL i got this large extra dry and crusty pinkish spot on my right temple that had never gone away. It is like a large dry scale. I dont know for a fact that its the IPL but i never had that spot before. Also, my lips are always chapped. My skin constantly feels overly tight and uncomfterble to the point that i can't even smile without feeling everything cracking. Somebody please give me some advice i am dying. I am only 24 and did this treatment for those pinkish marks left behind after acne and also for some light age spots and spider veins. Will this dryness ever go away?! I wear sunscreen all the time by the way. Thanks again guys.
Some have noticed the problems beginning within days, some months, a few year after IPL.
also - would still like to hear some timelines of damage - that begins with treatment.
so far my experience is not what I read about . . . I more worried about having had an ipl when using differin (a gentler form of retin a) prior to the treatment, but not the night before. the tech did not mention a worry about it, however my face was "deeply" swollen for three days. now, after reading these stories, i am fricken scared that any photosensitivity may ahve caused the treatment to go deeper and perhaps caused dna damge, fat loss, old skin, etc, etc !!!!!!! help!
I am not allowed to post a link to a support board where others are experiencing similar problems. You need to google: "IPL and Laser Damage" The board is slow to open, but there is good information there that may help you.
i feel like my cheeks are more hollow after 10 days. straight after the treatment - my cheeks were very swollen for three days. could this be deeper damage that will age my skin. do most get swelling with ipl? the swelling IS down, but my skin IS changing in a nonpositive way (hollows, skin texture). Am I jsut looking to slosely in the mirror? I am feeling rather scared. What are others experience? What was it like right after the treatment? I would like to see/view some timelines of damage that begin iwth the treatment itself . . .anyone???
Hello Blumenauer, I had a full face IPL treatment 5 days ago for improving the skin texture (I have enlarged pores and some fine superficial lines, I am 36). I had mild swelling right after the procedure and my face looked flushed and now I still have a burning sensation in my face, especially cheeks. Also when I smile I feel my skin stretching. I certainly will never do this again. I am just sorry I did it before first reading about negative experiences. I am very worried it could have some consequences later.
Does it look like "stretched" pores? I am not allowed to post a link to the support board for those injured/damaged by IPL and lasers, so do a google search as I suggested earlier to read about others experiences and see if yours is similar. I certainly hope not. Good luck.

Yes, exactly...I had only one treatment and at first my skin looked great...redness was gone and very smooth skin and only weeks later, redness is back and I have a few litlle holes on my cheek and on my nose, the pores seem stretched..I am very upset...was told by the person that did it, that she trained doctors to do this and don't worry...so far its not the worst outcome but I worry if anything else will show up...I will never NEVER put any laser to my face again and this has taught me a lesson ... be happy with eho you are!

it has been nine days and i now have old scars that are deepening on my cheeks??? fat loss? already?
My research and association with many who've been damaged by IPL, non-ablative and ablative lasers leads me to think none of them are safe, even if sometimes there are initial good results. FDA has allowed hundreds of cosmetic devices on the market that are not proven safe, due to their corruption. Be careful what you let anyone do to your skin when it comes to cosmetic devices.
READ ON!!!!! Results of a recent study: "However, the level of lipid peroxides in IPL-exposed skin was six times as high as in nonirradiated skin and twice as high as in skin exposed to UVA light. Comment: The implication of this study is that IPL treatment may not be without consequences. Although IPL irradiation did not affect thymine dimer production because the light source does not emit in the UV range, it did produce considerable amounts of lipid peroxides, an indicator of oxidative stress. Oxidative stress has been associated with a number of deleterious effects; beyond premature aging of the skin, it has been shown to promote skin cancer in experimental animal models. Although these molecular studies do not necessarily mean that long-term adverse effects will ensue, the results point to our ignorance of IPL’s lasting effects. Many highly effective therapies have had adverse effects that were not fully identified until years after regulatory approval. Until IPL has been in active use for a while longer, continuing follow-up of patients remains important." I'm scared! I had one 5 days ago . . . comments? anybody?
I have had wonderful results with IPL. Just fished my 2nd treatment. My first had amazing results on the brown spots (sun damage) on my face. I'm hoping this treatment takes off the rest. I think it's very important to make sure you have a Dr. that knows what he is doing. Look for someone very experienced with this procedure.
Even the most experienced doctors make mistakes. The doctor who was treating my rosacea did....and my skin I cannot describe....You were lucky so far. The Intense Pulsed Light has not been around long enough for anyone to know what the long-term effects are. Read the article "Oxidative Stress and Intense Pulsed Light Therapy" - this molecular study suggests that we keep an open mind about the longterm safety of IPL therapy.
yes I am another person who has been damaged by ipl, and it is so infuriating when people dismiss it as not possible. IT IS POSSIBLE!!! two years later and the damage is still comming.
has the swelling not gone down then? how long has it been at this point?
Blumenauer, perhaps you are just not familiar with IPL having these effects, BUT IT DOES. Google this: IPL and Laser Damage. It will be an interesting "read" for you and eye opening.
I have to wonder about any other procedures that you have done. Botox perhaps??? - drooping, sagging - these are not caused by IPL, but can be caused by other, more intense procedures.
I'm very sorry this happened to you. You are not the only person who's had this type of reaction to IPL. Do a google search of IPL and laser damage. I'm sorry for your problems.