IPL Can Seriously Burn You.

I started developing two tiny light brown freckle...

I started developing two tiny light brown freckle type spots on my cheeks and doctor recommended Fotofacial.

I received IPL treatment on my face, during which I was in agonizing pain. It felt like I was being burned by a hot Iron. The technician kept saying it is painful but that is how it should be. I was hot red in my face when I left and by tomorrow i had dark burned spots in lines and in rows on my face, and neck like a zebra. I looked horrifying and after four days I went back to the clinic and this time the doctor saw me and was very sorry that the girl did n't test a small patch first to see my reaction before she does the treatment on my complete face.

it has been 3 weeks now,the burn spots fell off and now I have some pink and some dark spots mostly on my forehead, neck and sideburns.

what is now the right treatment for them? Are they ever gonna completely go away? this treatment was meant to treat two tiny sun spots and it lead to this. what should I do? where should I go?

This type of procedures are very high risked and especially when you leave your fate in the hands of an incompetent technician and not an M.D. is just not worth the outcome.

When doing IPL....do research people go to a place where they are boaed certified. I went to a plastic surgeons office and did my research on the staff and im olived skined and my result as are awsome.....I felt sunburned for the first couple of hours and tjen ut went away no discomfort what so ever then i had the "coffee ground effect "the next day been peeling off like they said I would on my fourth day after treatment my results so far have been rite on awsome. ...I also had no pain during my treatment except for the rubberband snap feeling during the treatment....so far loving the results..will post before and after pics soon....
Yes I loved my first treatment too but on the second time damage happened. One lady had treatments for five years with no problem and than one time poof your great skin is gone. She went to a doctor and so did I that had years of experience but ended with damage. I think there are too many variables and the damage is so permenant. This not like a bad hair cut that will grow out. Very powerful machines that go deep in the dermis.
my IPL was no spots n no pain?? weird, must be an old machine type?
I'd guess yours was done on a light setting. The first one should be a light setting to see how your skin responds. Do you have very dark spots that you wanted to fade before the treatment? Those should become darker before they peel off. If you didn't have dark spots before, then you should not have any marks after. You don't want burn marks like some people have gotten. Also those with lighter skin pigment report less pain. Only a rubber band snap.
I had no after effects on my skin it does look smoother, I think the laser he used is the latest technology.
If you type in to any search engine "IPL damage and repair" there is at least 1 support website available. At this point, you just want your skin back to the way it was, I know, and they may have good advice. The worst part is the denial!
I am on the support group and learning all I can. It is a good group for support and advice.
I have all my records. I just wish I had professionally done before pictures as well. I have some good digital ones.
My doctor would only show the picture that shows the sub dermis sun damage. Somehow she said she could not do the comparison on the texture 3-D that I was shown the first day when the photo was taken. Also tried to get my records and she has put me off for a week now. I am sure she is trying to cover or change the information. It is so slimey and under-handed. I do have my own home pics before, durning, and every two weeks since. They are just digital not professional.
I signed the release for pictures to be taken but they didn't take one. I have plenty of before pics of my own but wish I had taken one that morning. I never dreamed I would need to compare.
These offices do take "before" pictures. Seems like it should be easy to prove. Also, I noticed an IPL support website with many stories that include before and after pix. The website was created after a girl died from treatment indirectly. To check it out and perhaps you will find others with your specific problem!
I went to a PA. I have an appointment in 2 days with a derm but I'm not very hopeful based on others experiences. I had my IPL done in Palm Harbor.
Did you have a medical person do your IPL? Have you gone to any professional to see what can be done to help repair your skin? I have been to three different medical professionals and none will admit that IPL could possibly do this damage. One did tell me to use Retin A do help build up the collagen. I can only hope with time it will get better. Keep on trying to find someone to help you. I am in Tampa which is a pretty large city not to find anyone who will admit to ever seeing or hearing of this happening. Good Luck
I had IPL done 8 weeks ago. I had horrible swelling which has now been replaced by little wrinkles all over my cheeks and under my eyes. It is like what holds my skin structure up is shrinking. My skin is now bumpy and I have an orange-peel texture. I also have splotches of red and brown areas. I wouldn't recommend this procedure. It's too risky as you don't know how you will end up looking. It damages your dermis.
get discount designer wallets and check coupon code available suprisely
Believe me I am not even dark skin light olive with being blue-eyed. Had IPL from a doctor in Tampa first three great last one turned up slightly by two degree. Not only was I left with red welts but with lines, creases, indents, and wrinkles I did not have before.Several months later no improvement. It is a crap shoot. Not worth it all. Damage can show up months later. My skin looks at 10 years older
Exactly. The lasers have unintended consequences and the worst is how the skin loses it's fullness and elasticity. Plus some dark spots get better while others show up new.
I read these posts for weeks before I decided to go for it. The reason I did is that it appeared as thought most of the people who had problems did not have light skin, which I do have. I have just finished my 4th treatment. Yes I did get brown marks and my face that evening would always feel like it was burned. But the burning went away within a couple of hours and the brown marks would dissappear within the week and weren't bad enough I couldn't suck it up and go to work. I did use a spa, but made sure they had an RN on site and the person doing it had worked for plastic surgeons before and had been using laser for a while. She also "worked into" the treatments. Didn't hit me hard right off the bat. Skin type and experience...I believe that's the key. And yes, I love the results! Had someone ask me the other day if I'd had a mini face lift!
I liked it at first, too, and have blond hair with blue eyes. Please post again in 12 months.
seems like people tend to either love ipl or hate it... and in the cases of people who have a good reason to hate it, it's soo scary. burns are serious issues and i can't imagine having to go out with burn marks on your face. in my case, i had ipl done on my chest for brown spots. for the first hour or so, the area would be really red, but it went away pretty quickly, i think. they told me that the spots would at first become darker only to fade away later, so i was prepared for that. i had 5 treatments and i'm VERY happy with the results. i'm just glad i was able to find a good nurse to do it for me. after seeing other people's bad experiences with ipl, i'm so grateful that i didn't have any burns.
I am so sorry this happened to you. I had IPL Photofacial Nov 18, 2011 and my results were exactly like yours, but mine were all over may face and all over my neck. It is now Dec 17 and the 1 inch burn marks on my face are 95% gone, but the 2 age spots I was trying to get rid of are now larger and darker. The 1 inch zebra burn marks on my face are still there and don't seem like they will go away. Make-up doesn't cover them completely. I am not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This is just terrible. :( My mother was having IPL with tightening on her arms to get rid of all her sunspots and she had tracks all over as well; they did last a little while but they did disappear and the spots are gone as well. Despite the issues she had, she is happy with the results. As for any new age spots you have, they will hopefully go away as well, might just take more time. I think they might have come up because they were under the surface. Lots of new dark spots come up and even some melasma can show up. I had IPL Photofacials as well a while ago and mine eventually disappeared with time. I am sure if yours have faded that quickly, your skin will be just fine. Best of luck to you.
See A DERM immediately. Do NOT go cheap. Find the best one who will show interest in the condition and is aggressive in treating it. DO NOT find someone who isnt going to make it their #1 priority.

There are a few great derms out there and a lot of very medicore ones. Choose wisely.
I have olive skin, dark latin. I have my second IPL on my face and I got blisters and burned, the spa just say sorry and told me to use polisporin for few days and will be fine. It is a week and looks awful brown strips in my face, some of them started pelling off by itself, but i notice the skin is ligther tone, I am so worry is the skin going to stay like that? do I going to have pink spots?, what should i do? I hate my face, I am desesperate, don't know what to do, pls, someone can advise me?
See a Derm right away. Very important.