Invisalign: What They Don't Tell You

My first set of retainers where 36 trays for the...

My first set of retainers where 36 trays for the upper and 19 for the lower. When I got to tray 22 in the upper new trays had to be made because the trays were 'off track' just a little in the beginning and got to point of being worthless. The new set of trays was 34 for the upper and 17 for the lower. After tray 19 on the upper my canines were not line-up properly. I had the option of going for fine adjustments with invisalign (part of the package) or going full traditional fix appliance (no further cost to me). I decided to go for full fixed appliance and here is why.

Reason number one NOT to use invisalign. Check with your dentist on this if you don't believe me.....

2) Invisalign cannot raise or lower teeth. Trust me on this. Even with the litte "bumps" of the glue; it just doesn't work well.

4) If you need eslatic work (mid shift alignment) forget it. What a royal pain.

5) You WILL lose a tray or two! and lose momentum in your treatment!

6) Snacking is a pain. Removing the trays, brushing all the time, etc....

In short I wouldn't reccomend this product to anyone. I was so worried about the look, what people would think, yada, yada, which is wy I choose invisalign. One thing I learned is no matter how bad you think your teeth are aligned other people think the extact same thinkg about their own teeth! Believe me on this one: People WILL be jealous you have braces! Not everyone has the money for brace....they WILL be jealous!

Average braces is 1 to 1.5 years and its a short time in your life. Do not worry what people will think or say or whatever. Your oral health is worth it!

Do your homework; a lot of homework if you are considering invisalign.

Go for traditional braces - they are cheaper and do a MUCH better job and most importantly give treatment control to your orthodonist who sees your teeth in real life as opposed to someone at invisalign looking at your teeth in 3D on a computer - Its just not the same thing....

I also have just had 3 cavities filled since starting invisalign and have not had any for several years leading up to the start of treatment. My dentist had to "file" a bigger space between two of my teeth to allow them to move into place. A few weeks later my tooth that had been filed cracked off and it was discovered that there was extensive decay in the tooth. Coincidence? I don't believe it is. I was not aware that I would be needing to periodically have filing done between my teeth and would have reconsidered having invisalign done had I known that this would be part of my treatment.

I have to agree. I've had 28 weeks of treatment and the change while evident isn't achieving the result that I need and I will have to finish with traditional braces. I wish I had chosen that option in the first place. Taking them in and out for eating is a real disadvantage. My work was minor so anything more and I'd got the extra and get traditional braces.

If you've been in them for four years then your teeth were probably pretty bad off and your dentist should've told you that youd be better off in traditional orthodontics. Im not sure about an additional fee for refinements, I do know that most refinements are typically covered but maybe your dentist wanted to charge you because it was such a process. Ive NEVER heard of eating with them in! They teach you in the invisaline courses to NEVER eat them or have patients eat with them in. I think maybe your dentist was thinking you were leaving them out too much or something and that's why he said that but If hes recommending eating with them in Id have to recommend finding a new dentist!
Well, I have has Invisalign for about four years and there are many things I like and dislike about it. First, I have never had any issues with cavities! I am someone who often brished my teeth and retainers just because it was gross to put on the retainers without washing them so I would brush my teeth alot as well. However, I don't really like the whole routine of taking it off putting it back on and brushing every time I eat! It just gets annoying. Also, I ALWAYS wore my retainers all day everyday and through out my 27 sets, when I finished I felt my teeth were not completely straight and that my trays were off track. So it is annoying knowin exactly when is the right time to switch to your new trays because it can effect your end result. I ended up getting a refinement! Which cost about 500$ additionally to the $4600 I had paid for the aligned because it took to long for me to finish them and so they wouldn't cover the charges. Also, my doctor recommended that I ate with them so that they could fit on better which was annoying because food easily enters the aligners. Of course, there are positives such as it invisibleness, being able to take them off, eat whatever and floss. Overall, I am most upset with how long it has taken to staighten my teeth with the refinement and all. In comparison to braces, braces are better in terms of time but in terms of other factors they don't compare.
G
My experience with invisaligns (btw I'm 50): my initial invisalign treatment consisted of 28 uppers and 21 lowers. They corrected some nasty cross bites (upper lateral incisors, and a huge mismatch with my left upper/lower premolars). They also fixed some lower incisor crowding and twisting, as well as moving an upper canine. We decided to go for refinements (13 upper and lower) to finish up some minor details. I have NO complaints about invisaligns. I'm on refinement #12, so the end is in sight. NO cavities or any other problems. I floss twice a day, and I carry a toothbrush and travel-sized toothpaste to use when I'm at work after lunch or when I'm out for dinner. If you use some common sense, you won't have any issues!
I'm 18 and I have Invisalign.... I brush my teeth regularly and take good care of my trays but recently my teeth have started rapidly deteriorating and I believe it is due to the trays. :(
Im a 29year old who is in invisalign AND I work in, the dental field and took courses on invisalign. If you're getting cavities while wearing them its because of xerostmia or dry mouth which is from the trays so you should just be drinking alot of water. Also I'm not sure where all you ppl are living by but in upstate NY it costs the same or less than traditional braces. Yes traditional braces can be better in certain situations because invisalign can't fix certain things..its ideal for adults who's jaws aren't going to be growing anymor..not very good for crossbites or rotating teeth..better for cloosing spaces and fixing crowding..if you have a teen I would go with traditional braces for sure. The original post on here was made in 2008. There have been significant changes in invisalign since then.
Thank you for clearing this up. I had a cavity scare but my dentist said it's discoloring from me not being able to brush it. Since my teeth are crowded I couldn't get behind the tooth to brush that spot. So drinking water should prevent the cavity situation?
I don't lose my trays, maybe it's just you. It's more expensive so i believe people out there will be taking good care of the aligner trays and make sure the investment is worth it. I'm on my 31th and last tray, and i can say it works pretty good on me. I don't get all the problems you have up there, since i had invisalign for slightly more than year, i have fairly whiter teeth than before.
I'm a teen and I just started my Invisalign a day ago, maybe it's not working as well for you because you are older and your teeth are already set in place and you are no longer growing

Hi, I'm 21 years old and am currently being treated for my cross bite with Invisalign. I have 36 aligners too and am about half way through. In my opinion invisalign is the best investment I have ever made, being this far into treatment I can fairly say it is working exactly up to standards. In terms of price, I negotiated down to paying the same price as traditional braces. So that wasn't an issue! Also, I have gone a day without wearing my aligner and still the next aligner fit perfectly on schedule. I can't say much about tooth decay... But I want to make a point about the other benefits of Invisalign that were not mentioned in this review. First off the aligners are much more comfortable for the mouth, being smooth. They do not cut the inside of the mouth like traditional braces. They're also easy-on, easy-off and easy to clean. I love that I can eat whatever I want by taking them off. And of course the very obvious already mentioned, they're invisible!

Hi thanks for the post, I too tried them, £2,000 and over two years, did the tiniest bit of movement, but poor practitioner who wanted to 'shave' my teeth into place when the I's didn't do the promised thing, also he would not accept when I kept saying how worried I was about a remaining crossed teeth, even though the evidence was in front of him, in my mouth! Also had same prob with cavity, ended up having a tooth pulled, now having to spend out for proper braces and dental implant....do not go there people, save money, time and teeth go for the traditional braces.

I am a parent researching invisalign for my 14 year old daughter. Thank you very much for posting this!!!! My big worry was that she would not wear the trays regularly. With all these other issues, I will definitely go with traditional braces. You have really helped me! Also, don't waste time on the negative comments below. You shared your experience and some really useful information. Take care. :)
I don't really have an opinion either way, braces or invisalign seem like better options than nothing. I didn't have a choice because my orthodontist didn't offer invisalign to me when I was in high school, but I'm not sure I would like having a constant barrier on my teeth. I hate cavities and by the looks of it, invisalign seems to create cavity problems. I'm sorry your experience was such a bummer. Good luck!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Ok first off, right off the bat.. #5. Really? How are you going to GUARANTEE that we WILL definitely UNDOUBTEDLY for sure lose a tray or two? Really now? You are guaranteeing that. That right there made me lose all credibility in all your statements, sorry. Not buying your reasoning.

Yeah you have to brush your teeth a lot, and snacking is a pain. But that's life. If you really want it, put the work in. Simple.
I kind of agree with this. It's a pain to get invisalign. I had them for a year and my teeth aren't perfect...they are better but not what I wanted. Also, they have shifted, even though I wear the retainer at night. My wisdom teeth are coming in though so it could be due to that. I wish that I had just gotten regular braces as a kid..or even later in college, I didn't care if people saw that I had braces. My parents didn't want to get it for me though so I went with invisalign in college. My advice is to go with the traditional braces, or if you DO get invisalign be really careful about brushing a lot and get a permanent retainer put in so they don't shift when you are done with treatment.
I agree with your post and if I had known would have gotten traditional braces instead of Invisalign. Yes you should realize ahead of time that snacking will be a struggle but for me I was able to deal b/c of the hope that my teeth would look great in the end. I just finished refinement #1 with no improvement. I wish my ortho would offer regular braces to me b/c I would do that in a heartbeat to get this over!
my dentist said i only need to wear them at night - did she mislead me? also, are there "substitute invisalign" companies out there? I am worried that my dentist substituted another brand - my trays came with no documentation or branding or anything - and i've heard rumors that dentists can have other companies make molds like invisalign but that aren't the same brand...?
Invisalign trays have codes printed on the upper and lower trays, by the molars. I have seen inexpensive retainers made from molds on ebay...would look very similar to invisalign, but would not help align your teeth...
I'd just like to comment on your reasons why Invisalign isn't any good... 1) I was 37 when I started invisalign and had one teenee weene cavity. One cavity in my entire life. While wearing invisalign I received five cavities! With invisalign the teeth are covered with plastic. Big deal right? YES! Your salivia acts as a cleansing agent for your teeth and helps prevent decay. When the teeth are covered guess what? They are not "washed" by your saliva and are more prone to decay. Yes, you are correct. But you are NOT meant to eat with the aligners in, or drink any sugary liquids with them in. You are meant to remove them for every pice of food that enters your mouth, BRUSH thorougly afterwards to avoid food getting trapped between your teeth and aligners!!! So, if one was to follow the 'Invisalign rules' properly (alot of people don't, I have no idea why when they are paying out all that money) you shouldn't need to worry about decay. 3) For every hour you don't wear the aligners it take 24 hours of wearing to make up for that hour. You're meant to wear the aligners for at least 22 hours a day. If you cannot stick to this then why bother going ahead with treatment? 6) Snacking is a pain. Removing the trays, brushing all the time, etc.... Yes, but people should know this before starting the treatment. If you aren't happy with this or it isn't going to fit in with your lifestyle then why on earth go ahead with it! to then complain?
Ok actually you are wrong. I have invisalign and I follow EVERYTHING! I have always brushed and flossed after every meal, yes even stupid little snacks! I have been very careful about invisalign. I follow every instructions and rules!!
And I have had to get a root canal wearing invisilign, including another cavity, oh and guess what my regular dentist told me? Not my gold digging orthodontist, but my regular dentist. He says I have a lot of stains. You know what? I've never brushed my teeth and flossed as great as I do while wearing invisilign, yet I've never had my teeth with so much problems and as stained as heck while wearing invisalign. Don't ignore the facts, do your research. Yes I brush in an angle softly and do the flossing correctly and all. So don't assume. You know why? It can take saliva up to 2 or more hours to help penetrate the plaque and begin healing process. But wearing the plastics cover your teeth, for hours, not allowing the natural saliva your teeth needs long enough to help your teeth. THerefore, decay and cavities are more likely to happen. By the way, the root canal had to be an extra a thousand and something dollars by a professional root canal dentist. Gee more money... Also brushing too much and using too much flouride is actually harmful to teeth. (I'll let you research this one.) So as you can see, even following everything possible to have healthy teeth, while wearing invisalign is ...impossible. My advice? DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO CHOOSE A PROBLEM. My dentist was afraid to get into a confrontation with my orthodontist. So he said "I don't want to blame any orthodontist, so I can't really give you advice." He did admit he's not a fan of invisalign though. Now I am comtemplating whether I should continue invisalign or not. I have moved so far and am almost done. But I don't want any more bad things to happen to my teeth. I'm afraid of a tooth extraction in the near future and afraid of another root canal.... Yet it was a heck of a lot of money. Yet the cost of the negative effects will cost me more later. You know...perfect teeth, I guess isn't everything. I realized how many of my friends are beautiful even with their imperfect teeth. But if you can't help it, GET BRACES, NOT PLASTICS.