Invisalign: What They Don't Tell You
My first set of retainers where 36 trays for the...
- 5 Jun 2008
My first set of retainers where 36 trays for the upper and 19 for the lower. When I got to tray 22 in the upper new trays had to be made because the trays were 'off track' just a little in the beginning and got to point of being worthless. The new set of trays was 34 for the upper and 17 for the lower. After tray 19 on the upper my canines were not line-up properly. I had the option of going for fine adjustments with invisalign (part of the package) or going full traditional fix appliance (no further cost to me). I decided to go for full fixed appliance and here is why.
Reason number one NOT to use invisalign. Check with your dentist on this if you don't believe me.....
1) I was 37 when I started invisalign and had one teenee weene cavity. One cavity in my entire life. While wearing invisalign I received five cavities! With invisalign the teeth are covered with plastic. Big deal right? YES! Your salivia acts as a cleansing agent for your teeth and helps prevent decay. When the teeth are covered guess what? They are not "washed" by your saliva and are more prone to decay.
2) Invisalign cannot raise or lower teeth. Trust me on this. Even with the litte "bumps" of the glue; it just doesn't work well.
3) For every hour you don't wear the aligners it take 24 hours of wearing to make up for that hour.
4) If you need eslatic work (mid shift alignment) forget it. What a royal pain.
5) You WILL lose a tray or two! and lose momentum in your treatment!
6) Snacking is a pain. Removing the trays, brushing all the time, etc....
In short I wouldn't reccomend this product to anyone. I was so worried about the look, what people would think, yada, yada, which is wy I choose invisalign. One thing I learned is no matter how bad you think your teeth are aligned other people think the extact same thinkg about their own teeth! Believe me on this one: People WILL be jealous you have braces! Not everyone has the money for brace....they WILL be jealous!
Average braces is 1 to 1.5 years and its a short time in your life. Do not worry what people will think or say or whatever. Your oral health is worth it!
Do your homework; a lot of homework if you are considering invisalign.
Go for traditional braces - they are cheaper and do a MUCH better job and most importantly give treatment control to your orthodonist who sees your teeth in real life as opposed to someone at invisalign looking at your teeth in 3D on a computer - Its just not the same thing....