I Wish I Did Invisalign Instead of Lingual Braces

I went for three consults for braces, one for...

I went for three consults for braces, one for invisalign, one for regular ceramic braces and one for lingual braces. I picked the wrong one - the lingual braces. My life is ruined, I had 3 teeth removed which has complelety changed the shape and width of my face and has moved my bone structure causing facial collaspe. It has aged me by 10 years, and taken all the balance out of my beautiful features.

These orthodontists need to tell you the real truth about what happens when teeth are extracted. I am now looking into very invasive plastic surgery and dental implants to try to get my face back. The ironic thing is plastic surgery can only make subtle changes to the face and can't truely get it back... I never would have thought dental work would make such drastic changes to the face..but why would I? None of these "professionals" ever told me, it should be their duty to inform patients of what is going to happen to their face, not just their teeth!

I can't stand linguals any more..five days now i am like zombie..it' s horrible torture..not speak not eat and constant pain..they must go to jail
Hey everyone. I am an orthodontic resident and I feel compelled to give my 2 cents here... Orthodontists treat a very wide spectrum of problems. An easy way I like to explain to my patients about what we do is that we examine a patient's skeletal issues, dental issues, and soft tissue (lips, musculature, etc.) and determine which components are out of balance and what our options can be to give the patient the most well-balanced result possible that takes into account all of these factors. Now with each one of those components there are 3 dimensions... 1. The transverse (width, for example, a narrow palate would be a skeletal deficiency in the transverse dimension, while perhaps one tooth in crossbite would be a dental deficiency in the transverse dimension.) 2. The sagittal (front-to-back, for example a large and protrusive lower jaw is a skeletal discrepancy in the sagittal dimension.) This can lead to front teeth that are edge-to-edge and without proper overbite. These front teeth can wear down over time. This also produces an unaesthetic concave appearance to the profile. So you can see here how a skeletal problem can produce dental and soft-tissue consequences. 3. The vertical dimension (long-face or short face skeletal structures, deep-bite or open bite dental problems.) Now, like I mentioned in the beginning, orthodontists deal with a wide variety of problems. You can imagine that a large combination of issues can be occurring in any one person at any one time, all of which are inter-related. Let me give you just a couple of examples: 1. Imagine a patient with a lower jaw that is deficient relative to his upper jaw. This patient would present with a profile that is convex (weakly defined chin since the lower jaw is too far back and an ill-defined mentolabial sulcus--the little groove between your lower-lip and chin), and also a deep bite (lower front teeth hitting the palate since the lower teeth sit on the lower jaw--which is too far back). In this case (keep in mind, I'm keeping this very simple, there usually is a HOST of other issues going on at the same time) correcting the skeletal deficiency will have positive effects on both the dental and soft tissue imbalances. Bringing the lower jaw forward will bring the lower teeth with it (allowing us to correct the deep-bite) and it will bring the chin forward producing an esthetically pleasing, straight soft-tissue profile. 2. Now consider someone that presents with severe-crowding (the jaws are not big enough to accommodate the amount and size of teeth present) as well as very thin lips (that react very quickly to the tooth support behind them). Orthodontists have several ways to create space for teeth. We can skeletally expand a narrow palate, we can flare teeth, we can reduce the width of the teeth by stripping, or we can extract teeth. A very important key here is that with an adult patient (anyone past their growth-spurt) an orthodontist is strictly an orthodontist (meaning he can only move teeth, not bones). He becomes an orthodontist and dentofacial orthopedist once more (like he is with children) only if the case involves invasive orthognathic surgery and an oral and maxillofacial surgeon is collaborating. In this scheme, the orthodontist can once again plan both dental and skeletal movements, except now the oral surgeon provides the skeletal correction, rather than the orthodontist--who can provide skeletal improvement with children by maximizing their growth potential (as is the case with the appliances we use in children, for example palatal expanders to correct narrow upper jaws, facemasks to correct protrusive lower jaws and deficient upper jaws, functional appliances to advance deficient lower jaws like a Herbst appliance, and etc.) Back to case 2... You can see now that with an adult, the orthodontist has lost some of the tools in his arsenal. I described this specific case because unlike case 1, the correction of the dental imbalance (too many teeth) may work against the soft-tissue (thin lips that may dish in when teeth are removed to correct the dental issue of crowding.) Some people are equipped with better soft-tissue to accommodate extractions than others (people with thicker and full lips.) It is, like everything else in orthodontics, a case-to-case basis. Furthermore, we must assure dental health by maintaining teeth in the center of bone (so we cannot flare them to kingdom come to accommodate moderate-to-severe crowding.) These are the cases that orthodontists work extremely hard to manage. I myself, love my patients and feel extremely blessed and honored to be in a position to help. People come to see me with situations that I did not create. We can only do our best together (patient+doctor) to manage whatever situations we are working with. There are limits to the jaws, there are limits to the dentition, and there are limits to all of our growth potential. We must work together towards the most healthy and well-balanced result within those limits. One final note regarding lingual braces vs traditional braces vs invisalign vs etc. Any appliance an orthodontist uses is merely an instrument to get to the patient and doctor's mutual result. All appliances have pros and cons, this will continue to be true until the end of time. Some cons involve limitations on what the appliance can do (invisalign being weak at extruding teeth for example), some cons involve esthetics (lingual braces that cannot be seen vs traditional braces that everyone can see,) and some cons involve mechanics (ceramic braces which are bulkier, more brittle, and have higher frictional forces--so you can imagine the hooks and posts on the brackets tending to break off if lots of sliding mechanics are involved to close extraction spaces). By reading the initial post, I doubt that invisalign would have been the optimal choice if extractions were needed to resolve crowding, since invisalign is very poor at closing extraction spaces. If your orthodontist was not as clear or thorough with explaining your unique skeletal, dental, and soft-tissue circumstances to you, I am sorry for that. I hope at least you can find peace of mind knowing that it was probably not your choice of lingual braces that provided you with a result you are unhappy with, but more likely limits to what could be done to solve your concerns based on your unique skeletal, dental, and soft-tissue dimensions. I hope my post elucidated some of the mystery of what an orthodontist takes into consideration when treating a patient. I would like to say on my behalf (and I believe this rings true among the entire orthodontic community) that it really is a pleasure getting to work with and know all of you. All the best, David Dayan, DMD
Sorry for the wordy post. I initially separated it into paragraphs but for some reason it did not post that way :)
I am so sorry about your experience!! I have lingual braces and had them put on a year ago. I have had not one problem with them. I am 24 and have had a few teeth pulled through out my years so when I went in for my consult i was told I needed to get one tooth removed. I already knew that thought because i had 1 top gone on the left, and two molars on the bottom gone, so I knew one top molar was going to be removed. I had really bad over crowding and overbite (I have a youtube channel on my lingual braces currently) My teeth are unbelievably straighter now the they were before, and Im about to start the suresmile process of my braces. But I just wanted to say before I started blabbing that I think its more the choices your ortho made with your teeth and braces then the braces itself. I am sure your experience would have been much smoother and better if you had a better ortho to recommend more options. I had four teeth removed and a small little face, but my ortho still managed to widen my smile (like I wanted) and my mouth looks fuller and my teeth look little bigger to me. When I went in, after I did some research on the web on many orthos, I asked him what the best decisions he think would be, which braces, and then I told him what I would like to do. He explained EVERYTHING! How my teeth would move, what to expect, and I told him I wanted a WIDE pretty in your face smile. They are your teeth, your smile, your MONEY. They are professionals and are expected to explain and tell you everything. It doesn't matter if its good/bad or what the patient wants to hear, but they need to know. It should go your way. I honestly wish you the best and more. I waited til now to be able to get braces and its one of the best decision Iv ever made. I am sorry for this looooong letter, Iv never wrote this much to someone before on the web lol. I hope you have a wonderful day!
I'm getting my extraction gaps reopened without surgery, you can follow my case on youtube, ccarrieb I wish you the best, so many tried to sell me on surgery, really going to a functional ortho is the best option.

Is sounds like your problem is with the extractions... not the lingual braces. It's not really fair to blame the lingual braces for the effect extractions had on your face.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Wow! What horror stories! To correct an overbite, I had lingual braces (metal only) on my upper teeth and conventional, metal braces on my lower teeth. The lingual braces gave me a speech impediment, so I worked with my orthodontist to time the switch to buccal (front of my teeth), ceramic braces as soon as the overbite correction advantage of lingual appliances was gone. My problem is gum recession -- something not mentioned at all in the contract. Adult orthodontic patients have their teeth forced out of their permanent position. Juvenile (typical age) patients have their teeth guided to what will be their permanent position. Adult patients must use retainers for life.
I have had braces as a teenager and again after the lingual braces were removed. You can not even compare the pain with the traditional braces. I agree it is barbaric.
When I took it to the board my intention was only to show the doctor how serious I was. Never crossed my mind that they would do anything to punish the doctor. I din't have that ilusion that they would. However to my surprise they felt there were enough evidence to start an investigation. And they open a full investigation. It took 10 months with them asking the doctor and I for more evidences and explanations. Things got so serious that I got in the ilusion that somethng would happen afterall and he must had been losing sleep over as he asked me. How much I wanted to remove my complaint. I declined the offer. He then made an offer to give of $2.000 just for me to write a letter to the board saying that we have resolved the issues. I declined.
I then wrote a letter to the board letting them know that an offer was made to withdraw. I thougth that alone would put him in trouble. But int he end, he got no punishment. He still advertizes that he can fix your teeth in 3 to 10 months. One of the reasons I chose lingual braces is that he told me he could fix my teeth in 7 months.
Sonia, what did the Dental Board do? Slap him on the wrist?
To the person who had it removed after 3 days. I so wish my orthodontist had listend to me. After 15 days I said I couln't take anymore, I had regular braces on when I was a teenager and I know what the pain is like. But the pain of lingual braces were not normal. He conviced me to keep them, made it difficult to get out of the contract e.t.c. To make a long story short after about 10 months I had to have them removed and start a new treatment with the traditional braces. He had messed up with my bite and my smile. I took him to the Dental Board.
Yes, lingual braces are barbaric. I got them initially because I didn't want to walk around with visible braces in my 40's. When I asked for them to be removed after three days, the ortho said, "are you sure?" and I said absolutely. He came in on a Saturday to remove them. I then just used the same ortho to have traditional ceramic braces, which were fine. The lingual braces, for which I paid, were more expensive than ceramic braces and I guess I should have asked him to refund the difference, but I never did. In any event, I'm glad that I had those damn lingual braces removed and that I got a good result with more traditional braces. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought walking around with visible braces for 18 months and now, it is only a distant memory.
Horrible. Lingual braces should be illegal. I see an oral surgeon in a month to ascertain damages done.
well I have been in invisalign and the lingual Braces and i feel the lingual braces are the way to go! All braces are going to hurt a little, beasue your teeth are moving! and i think that the "plastic surgery" thing is a little extream!!
I don't care if you think the plastic surgery is a little extreme, This is my experience, the changes from removing those biscupis teeth has changed the way I was put on this earth forever! There ought to be more information about this available so people can make informed decisions when choosing orthodontic treatment options.
Lingual braces are barbaric and should be outlawed -- they would have served as effective torture at Gitmo. Something is very wrong with orthodontists who practice this sadism.
I feel for you.
I went to an ortho for Invisilign and he conviced me to use lingual braces. In 15 days I went there to have the braces removed. But he again convinced me to keep the braces. It was a nightmare....the disconfort is unbelivable. The pain and eve the result wasn't worth it.
I wouldn't wish lingual braces on my worst enemy.
I got teeth removed when I had braces and it definately make a difference. I hate it. And not i have to get braces again, but I will mostlikely do invisalign. Much cheaper.
Sorry to hear about your horrible experience with lingual braces. I had them put in a few years back and they were so painful that I had the orthodontist remove them after 3 days. I then had the old-fashioned braces, and everything was fine, though I did have a mouthful of ceramic braces for 18 months.