No Change to Spider Veins After Treatments - Indianapolis, IN

With summer coming, I decided to try spider vein...

With summer coming, I decided to try spider vein treatment to remove small veins on the front of my right leg. I had some very small veins on my upper thights, but they did not concern me as you can't see them when wearing shorts or skirts.

I made an appointment at Decatur Vein Center in Indianapolis and spent $400 for treatment and hose After 4 week, there was absolute no change. I signed a paper that said it could take up to 3 treatments and that I should have a mapping done, but that for spider veins it probably isn't needed. So now I'm being told I have to spend more money on something that may or may not work.

They are so encouraging in person that it the treatment should work, but it doesn't and now to MAYBE get any results, I will have to throw good money after bad. I also found out that the BBB does not take complains on medical procedures, so I'm stuck with no way to get resolution to my dilemna.

My argument with

Decatur Vein Clinic

I never saw a doctor. Just a nurse or medical assistant.

Also had a procedure done at Indianapolis vein clinic. Make sure you understand how much out-of-pocket these procedures cost. The first time I called they said it was my resonsibility to find out what insurance paid. Seeing as I had no clue, I said forget it. Shortly thereafter, a very personable person called to say they would be glad to help us out. They forgot to mention a few costs that insurance didn't pay. I just got a bill for $400. I called them up, they apologzed for any confusion and told me I would still have to pay.

Sorry my point about my previous comment was this. Spider veins are an underlying indication that your legs may not be getting the oxygen they need to feel and look their best.

I know this is an older thread, but I noticed a lot of comments were made by people who have just started vein therapy. I have been going through treatments for over ten years, and just to give everyone some hope, they do work well if you find good doctors and clinics. It is necessary to have an ultrasound and venous mapping of your legs, because sclerotherapy is useless if your veins are being caused by underlying venous reflux. If that is the cause, you may need to undergo some sort of vein closure procedure like VNUS Closure, which is covered by some insurance companies. Sclerotherapy or maybe ambulatory phlebectomy can then follow to take care of surface veins, but they don't disappear within weeks. It usually takes months, and a good doctor or nurse will follow up with you. From what the many doctors and nurses I've spoken with have told me, vein stripping is a thing of the past. There are many solutions out there and they all take some time. I hope this was helpful to somebody.

Ten Years?? Do you have any veins left at all by now? I would like to get sclerotherapy done, but I sure don't want them to keep me on the line for that long, like Chiropractors do.

Hello reference is made to to both laser and injection, can you pls let me know what treatment you had, that did to work?

Many thanks
i noticed a lottle difference but hv one place where u can feeel the puffy veins. another is red at injection site..the bruise frm injection is just now starting to go away and its been two weeks. i wore my hose ten days and stayed out of sun. im hoping the veons that i can feel(which itch too some) will go down even tho im no longe wearing hose. i hope!
I have just had mine done a few wks ago and I can see a little different however the tights are v irritating in hot weather
I went to my first injection session yesterday for these veins. i dont have many but two that look bruisy so wanted them gone. i had gone to two different clinics but one... though having dermatologists and doc assistants, because they were not medical doctors insurance would not pay. the second clinic my insurance did pay because they were medical doctors. alot of people think all are the same but insurance company said plz research. also to do it the right way you need a sonogram first to show what is going on with arteries, veins, etc which i had. thats where insurance will pay sometimes and mine did approve after the sonogram. without having sonogram they wont. the clinic does these and the same doctor who performs the sonogram also does the treatments. he also said the support hose is vital in those veins disappearing..has to be worn at least ten days non stop except when taking a bath or showering. it takes 4 to 6 weeks and he did say one session probably wont do it but might with mine since i had very few places but still most need a few sessions, then at the end they can laser any tee tiny one on top that the injections dont get. he also said getting sun the first week can discolor where the veins are filled with this fluid . so im really hoping it works for me and those wanting this make sure you got to a clinic with medical doctors!!!
Sorry to hear of your experience with Decatur Vein Clinic. I had the laser treatments done in both legs and followed up with the sclerotherapy treatments for varicose veins and poor circulation issues. One thing they fail to tell you about is the possibility of an accidental injection into an artery instead of a vein. This happened to me at the clinic in Evansville, Indiana. The biggest part of the flesh on my left calf died. I spent nine months doctoring the huge, deep wound 3 times a day until it healed enough as to not need bandages. This has been over 2 years ago and I still have intermittent ripping, tearing pain in my disfigured leg from all of the nerve damage that was done. I am worried that I may eventually lose part of my leg. I get around fairly well, but you don't see me wearing shorts out in public any more. The injections I got were not given by a doctor, but a nurse practitioner-phlebologist.
How horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I read about that risk on the paper work I had to sign and through internet research. I was definitely afraid of that risk. Don't forget, you're beautiful in spite of your scars. It's you that will worry the most about it and the people that really love you will love your bare legs, always. I hope it all turned out okay for you and you kept your leg. Was it painful? Did you feel it right after the injection? So sorry, again for your pain and suffering.
Thank you for your wonderful words! The sclerotherapy injections were painful at the time of injection and for about 30 minutes afterwards. Felt like I had been wading in a barrel of hornets. I didn't realize that the "mishap" had occured until about an hour after the injection. There was a horrible burning, ripping feeling as I attempted to do some shopping after I had left the clinic. It kept getting worse so I called the answering service for the clinic to try to get help, because it was after hours. The nurse practitioner called me back and said calmly that she must've hit an artery and that it will start turning black in the area affected.....there was nothing they could do for it. The only thing Decatur offered was to have me go to a wound care center for the healing process. I refused it.....my wife helped me for the next nine months to take care of it.
Aghh! How scary! I can't believe they were so cold and laid back about it. I understand it's a risk, but that's still not good bedside manner or professionalism. I thought there were ways around not hitting an artery, like ultrasounding the veins first, etc. I could be wrong, but it seems like more of a careless mistake than an uncontrollable accident. I was unaware you were a man, sorry for all the "beautiful" talk, I'll change it to "handsome." Good thing you have a good wife that cared for you. That's really such am awful and unfair experience.
Didn't mind the beautiful comment at all :) I was very fortunate to have my wife there to help me through that. All of the injections I received were during ultrasound....that is how they located the veins. I went for several sessions before the incident occured. I would receive any where from 5 to 15 injections in one session. First thing I did each time before the injections started was grab the two foam rubber stress balls they had there and never let go the whole time. I have seen where they claim those treatments are not that painful......that was very misleading. I have also read since that happened that the chances for hitting an artery is very rare. I actually continued with about three more sessions afterwards because they said I still had many open tributeries that had to be closed. They had to make two injections right through the large wound. Each time that I came in there were other employees that worked there that had to come into the room I was in so they could see my leg. I didn't appreciate that. Thank you again for your kind words.
try vitamin k cream like (vita k and avon anew for spider veins). i've been using it for 6 months now and my spider veins are fading. i can wear shorts again and will continue using the vitamin k cream. you have to use it twice a day. results are not immediate so be patient with it.

You said vit. k cream works but how bad were your veins?

Yeah it seems so, but the way the dr. explained it was without getting rid of the main valve which is causing all the other spider veins and so on, your problems will keep coming back,so fortuneatly insurance covers it.So I suggest everybody do a little research on getting rid of those b4 ever paying a dime out of pocket for schlerotherapy,supposedly when you take out the middle vein all the other things dissapear and then you can get schlerotherapy for the ones that didnt.So actually the more I think and read Im thinking he is right saying dont waste your time bcuz they will just keep coming back w/out taking care of the main prob that is causing them.

My experience: I'm 52 years old. My 1st spider vein injections started at age 21 I was so young and wouldn't even shorts--Fantastic results -(out came the shorts and bathing suits) - then, about every 7 years (maintenance (diff. doctors) changes, locations, etc. Throughout the years the results have been different. It mostly depends on the doctor / experience / and type of solution used is very important, as I have discovered on my own. Keep a diary so you can refer back to type of solution that best works for you. For whatever reasons as the years pass your doctors and solution type will change. Now, for the main vein (valve) backflow, whatever, at age 50, I was told the same thing. Insurance paid (I had 1 backflow maybe 2 veins in just 1 leg) My spider veins were kept under control throughout the years by going every 5 - 7 years and having just (1) session of injections that included both legs. After being told that I needed vein ablation (to prevent and even improve the others) and the bonus was that insurance paid. Well, the worst results ever! I had my leg threaded (vein heated) followed by a few injections and within a year found myself getting vein injections again. Still poor results. It's in the solution. I am sorry to say that I didn't keep that diary throughout the years. But, I can tell you that my worst (no results) on my last 2 vein injections (the injections that followed the Heated Vein ablation) and the following year (injection only by another doctor and clinic) used the same solution (Sodium tetradecyl Sulfate) I know this now because I am getting ready to try again and I was able to track the solution name down from the last 2 sources used recently. (Bad results if no results at all) Sodium tetradecly Sulfate did not work for me. --- I wish I knew what the Doctor used back in the 80's when the results were fantastic.(1 - visit) And all of the other vein injections that followed through the years up until 2001, worked pretty good with 1 visit. I feel if you get good results (80% would be considered good) and then maintain every 5 - 7 years using the same solution type with a good experienced doctor, you will be happy you kept a diary.

I am much older than you and for years I had was injected with the saline injections. Several times over the years and at different vein clinics, I experienced ulcerations in the calf of my left leg. It took several months to heal. Upon my research on various sites I discovered that when you have ulcerations (sores) after injections, the injector did not place the solution directly in the vein which caused the problem. I also read about "Asclera" (Polidolconol) and there is less chance of ulcerations (I did not read this on the Asclera website). For many years now, I insist that they use Asclera, and I have had NO problems. I heal much quicker too! I have to go in one a year for maintenance injections...If I put it off, the veins get much worse. As I tell my friends, one broken vein bequeaths another, so you need to stay with a great reputable clinic, and a good maintenance plan which may be as much as once a year.
Wow!! That's so wrong.
I recently went for my consultation and was told would have to strip both veins going down fronts of legs but b4 that in order for any insurance to cover this I would have to wear support hose for six wks by that time my next appt is july 2nd,I would have believed the doc except the walls were paper thin and I could here him telling the women next to me the same thing,reheared speach,so I went in for a 330 treatment to get rid of three small spider veins and now its a major surgery costing my insurance thousands.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get results after the first treatment like you were hoping. I have looked into having this done on the backs of my knees & was also told it could take more than one treatment. I totally understand the fear of wasting money on something that might not work, but since that seems to be an understood possibility maybe it would be worth doing another treatment or two??

If you do decide to do more let us know how it goes & if you see improvement or not.

Unfortunately I don't have another $400 for another treatment. I was really hoping I'd see some improvement, but no improvement really surprised me. Alas, another summer with my spider veins.

Yeah, I understand how that goes. :-/ Sorry to hear.