Evolence Left Terrible Long Lasting Bumps Under and Around my Eyes - Indianapolis, IN

Evolence is the worst dermal filler ever! My...

Evolence is the worst dermal filler ever! My plastic surgeon who I have been to for 20 years decided to use it under my eyes. BIG MISTAKE. He hit a vein and it left a huge soft bump and in other areas around my eyes you can see where he injected it. He has tried small doses of cortisone but apparently there is no way to reverse it's effect except hope it finally goes away.

It has been 6 months and there is no improvement. He tried to minimize the bump by adding restylane but it just made it look like a longer raised scar. Now he is going to try to laser the area in hopes that it tightens the skin.

I have made countless visits to his office. It has been a waste of money and time. I look worse than prior to this procedure and have grown very impatient besides dissatisfied. My plastic surgeon appears to be lost as to how to correct it. He does not want to try and surgically remove it for at least a year.

Don't ever use this filler especially around your eyes.

Updated on May 7, 2010:

Warning to anyone thinking of using Evolence.. Disfiguring Results..never let anyone inject you with this product My long time Plastic Surgeon injected the hollow of my eyes in November 2009. It has been a on going disaster since the day he performed this disfiguring act. I trusted him and believed he knew what he was doing and at no time was I made aware of the side effects. There are lumps in every area that he injected. There is severe swelling under one eye (that looks like a eye bag) that will not go down (after 5 shots of cortisone) and 5 months after the injections a huge granuloma spontaneously formed in the corner of my eye. This large pea shaped type cyst oozes liquid and makes my left eye becomes partially swollen shut. Cortisone shots only keep the swelling down for around 4 days and then it returns swelling the entire eye to being partially closed. I was given Prednisone to stop the infection (my body trying to reject the product) and experienced terrible side effects from this wicked drug. Once again I was not warned of the side effects of this drug. The prednisone did stop the infection an of course did not effect the side of granuloma and about put me in psych ward due to the psychotic side effects this drug does to you. I work with the public on a daily basis and this experience has not only disfigured my face but impacted my ability to perform at my job, and caused me a great deal of mental anxiety and stress along with loss of income. My Plastic Surgeon did not want to surgically remove any of the bumps but now has agreed to excise the granuloma since it is so unmanageable and disfiguring. Of course there is trepidation as to how it will look after he removes it and how big of scar will be left. My PS has appeared to be doing everything he knows to correct the problem but I am sensing little compassion and in fact some irritability by the staff in trying to correct this. I am now being viewed as the problem, not the problem the Surgeon and product created. Now, that I am having very serious complications that require more time than just a quick cortisone shot there is growing concern with both parties of who will pay for fixing his error. I believe he delivered poor medical service and choose the wrong filler resulting in a detrimental outcome. I do not want to file a medical malpractice suit but with each month of this nightmare I am starting to consider this. I know there is a class action suit filed in Canada against Johnson & Johnson in regards to evolence and disfigurment. I have done intensive research on line and I am not a plastic surgeon but here our a few of my personal findings. Evolence is not FDA approved to be put in the hollow of your eyes. The majority of PS's would never use evolence due to this, it's thickness and the fact there is no way to reverse it. I am also questioning his technique as it appears to have possibility been injected too superficially and with too much filler. I cannot wait for this nightmare to end. What I thought would be a simple dermal filler to enhance my looks turned out to one of the worst experiences in my life in trying to freshen my look. The long term results may be scaring and 18 months or more of bumps and lumps around my eyes.

A YEAR LONG SUMMARY OF MY NIGHTMARE JOURNEY OF...

A YEAR LONG SUMMARY OF MY NIGHTMARE JOURNEY OF DISFIGUREMENT CAUSED BY EVOLENCE

I have posted many updates/reply's on this site of my almost year long journey since I was first injected with the terrible filler Evolence and it's devastating effects. Here are a few things one should know about Evolence.

I have discovered these facts both personally and on line in my desperate attempt to restore the damage evolence did. I am so grateful for this website and the threads by other victims and plastic surgeons remarks that has assisted me in coming to the below conclusions and informing me of the true facts of evolence and it's ability to MAIME your face.

Here are my conclusions and personal story about Evolence and it's terrible and ill reversible effects:

1. NEVER USE A FILLER THAT CAN'T BE REVERSED... I have had other dermal fillers injected in my face before but never in the hollow area of my eyes nor I had ever used Evolence. Evolence requires no prior testing yet left granulomas starting the first day of injection. I did not request this filler it was selected by my Plastic Surgeon with no warning nor did I sign any consent. This is the only filler that has ever caused terrible ill reversible side effects. I was never told that there was no drug to reverse it once it's injected under your skin.

2. NEVER USE EVOLENCE IN THE HOLLOW PART OF YOUR EYES... From my on-line research and from this evolence nightmare I have found out that evolence is too thick and requires a larger needle plus lots of massage immediately after injection. My PS started out with a big needle hitting a vein then switched to a smaller needle for the other side of my face. There was a huge hematoma where he hit the vein, very little massage and all sites appeared way over filled. I contacted Johnson & Johnson who took evolence off the market. All I was told by them is that it is not approved to be used in the hollow part of your eyes. When I shared with my PS head nurse she said all PS used products off the label.

3. DERMIAL FILLER INJECTION IS MORE COMPLICATED THAN YOU THINK... Since I had used other dermal fillers in the past and botox I thought this procedure would be a quick innocent cosmetic procedure to assist in a younger look. I had no idea the complications of Evolence and because I was using a PS that I have been going to for over 15 years felt confident in his abilities. It is my understanding that this filler cannot be injected the same way as Restylane or Juvederm. It is apparent to me that my granulomas are the results of evolence. being used off the label and perhaps the lack of skill of the PS injector.

4. FEW PLASTIC SURGEONS WILL ADMIT THEY MADE A MISTAKE.. So far my PS has taken many steps to try and reverse the damage evolence has caused. The only thing he has said is that in any plastic surgery there is always the possibility of side effects. My granulomas have been very severe and yet the real picture was not spelled out for me. They first said the product would dissolve in 12 months, they mentioned allergies, too thin of skin in my eye area, too many previous laser surgeries and at times it seemed like they gave any excuse except that it was the result of evolence. They implied that the steroid shots would take care of it. It appears looking back they said as little as possible including me having to find out on my own just how permanent of filler evolence is and the bleak road for restoration. In the first 3 months of this long journey my PS stated that he would not want to try to surgically remove them until a year. November 2010 will mark a very long year of terrible complications, results, missed work and emotional agony. Surgery appears to be my last hope but will leave scars with the severity depending upon how he surgically removes them. He is considering going under the bottom eye lid on those that he can but on some he can't reach them under the lid including the nose area.

5. FAILED PROCEDURES TRIED TO REVERSE GRANULOMAS CAUSED BY EVOLENCE
I have had 5-7 steroid injections over the past year with varying strengths. Some would reduce the bumps for maybe 24-48 hours only for them to return. I had one granuloma that became so swollen that it closed my left eye and oozed. This required taking oral prednisone that caused terrible physical and emotional reactions but made the swelling go down yet started to create a moon sized face. My PS tried to use restylane to smooth out many small bumps in a row and it failed miserably only resulting in making it appear like one long raised puffy scar. I have had fraxel laser surgery that tightened the area around the granulomas but did not effect the granulomas. The last attempt was 10 months after the initial injection where they injected each site with saline solution and massaged the area. This actually made it worse. My bumps are now more prominent and harder.

6 .DAMAGES CAUSED BY EVOLENCE

My evolence experience has dramatically effected me in how I look physically, damaged my self esteem, left me to feel very self conscious and I feel very victimized. For the past 340 days it has been a struggle. I have looked in the mirror each day to see a maimed face full of large lumps, bumps, brusing, oozing. I have dealt with missed time off work, drug reactions, made over 13 office visits back into the PS office and have dealt with repeated forms of mild to painful injections in addition to fraxel surgery without the aid of twilight. I spent $600.00 for a procedure that has resulted in disfiguring results. In as much as my PS has continued to try to resolve the issue he and his staff haven't appeared to demonstrate the compassion or full understanding for the problem they created. The effects of this procedure has been a nightmare and emotional living hell. They see me every 6 weeks or so but I see the damages every day in the mirror! My phone calls have felt at times as a nuisance to the head nurse. I have dreaded calling the office each time to report that another bump has appeared, or grown bigger, or that the last injection or method used did not solve the bumps. I feel it is my plastic surgeons medical responsibility and integrity to see this through until the problem is resolved. So far he has not abandoned me but his head nurse over the past year has mentioned that they would gladly refund my money and I could be on my way to find my own solution, or that they feel they have exhausted all means to fix it and perhaps it was time for them to refer me to someone else. I reminded his nurse that the doctor had said in the early stages that he wanted to wait one year and then would attempt to surgically remove them. So, I am waiting to see if indeed they will take full responsibility for their mistakes and schedule me in for surgery for restoration to a huge problem they caused. I called today for a scheduled surgery date but did not get a returned phone call. Since surgery appears to be the last hope. I am still facing the issues of scaring.
He might be able to reach most the bumps in my eye area by going under the bottom eye lid but maybe not.
Then there is the injection he made by my nose that has left a long bump. His nurse said that the incision has to be as big as the bump to remove it... and the long one by my nose looks impossible to remove without leaving a very long scar. This is a area I might have to leave as is as it might looks worse that the bump. My background is in Marketing, Sales and PR. I have not sought legal counsel as of yet because my PS has been trying. If we hadn't had the 20 years of association prior I would have filed a law suit and brought this to media attention months ago. Hopefully, he will see this through to removing the bumps surgically. I will keep you updated on the final outcome.

I am desperate for answers and would welcome any comment from a victim of evolence or other Plastic Surgeons that has found a way to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately, my newest update is not a very...

Unfortunately, my newest update is not a very positive one. Yesterday, I went to see my PS as it has been a little over 3 months since he tried to surgically remove the bumps caused by evolence. It is evident by the remaining bumps still on my face that he did not get all the evolence out in surgery. He told me that we need to do another surgery but the earliest opening he had was June 7th. This is only 6 weeks prior to my high school reunion and requiring three more long months of bumps and lumps. I waited in his office for over an hour as I have had to do the last 4 visits. He did inject one of the bumps with a steroid and it has only made a slight difference in the size. I am not looking forward to another painful surgery and concerned about the healing time. Last surgery took at least 3 weeks before it even looked sort of healed. The idea of more incisions causes me great concern about scaring. I see very little scaring as of now and have faithfully applied bio oil but can't imagine repeated incisions in the same area not leaving a worse scar. He claims surgery should be easier and healing time faster as this bumps are not as deep. I am losing faith in what he tells me and in his abilities to totally remove the evolence. I do have an appointment set with an Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon for a second opinion. You would think my PS would be tripping over himself to make this right as soon as possible since me has ruined my eye area with this product but he is not. I'm feeling rather hopeless in how to correct this once and for all.

I finally got my plastic surgeon to do the removal after waiting three and a half years!! not the dr that messed my eye up) this product was hard and yellow .. He removed three areas.. took about an hour and a half .. Three stiches .. A lot more intense than u would think .. Very bruised . Was done 12/6 and still bruised and tender .. But , I can't see where lumps were any longer!!! Go back next week . Am anxiously waiting for all swelling to go down . he had to order a specific instrument to remove this without causing intentions ! He researched and consulates other plastic surgeons and called me back in two weeks! This is the most well known plastic surgeon in Austin and he was not to sure of what outcome would be. He just didn't wanna do under eye surgery on my eyes as I'm not ready nor needed yet. Im praying I can finally meet people out without keeping my sunglasses on during lunch !!!
The bump may be a granuloma as a result of using this product. It has been this way since day 1 and will not go away. I hate to have my face cut open to have the scar tissue or Evolence removed. They should have never released this product if an outstanding # of people have this same bodily reaction. I am consulting with a NJ attorney which is were J&J is located. If you want to be a part of it let me know.

Are you still pursuing a suit of some sort with J&J? I too had evolences everal years ago and have gone through hell. Mine was injected into my upper lip lines. I now look like i have tic tacs shoved into the lines on my upper lip. I have had several reversal solutions injected into the area only to have a horrible reaction . My face swelled 3 x the size, my lips tore on the inside because it had no more room to expand. To make matters worse, my derm took pictures and showed them to dr.s at her speaking engagement that very evening. I'm ready to kick some butt.

Hi, do you know if a class action law suit has been filed?
I just went to a new Dr. earlier this week who has dealt with this before. She did a puncture biopsy to determine if it is a granuloma or a bio film (this is something I have not come across in my research but it makes sense now). Once we get the test results back, she will treat it accordingly. We shall see. She also said that it isn't necessarily the product that is the problem, it's how my body reacted to it. I buy that but I wish I was given more information prior to the injections stating that this could happen. Also, be careful with the steroid injections, apparently they thin and indent the skin, I have this problem now too. UGH!!
Hi I am looking for others with this problem, just wanted to know what happened.
I had the same problem with this product. I have a big lump line about 2 inches long under my left eye. I have had several steriod injections but nothing works. It is a horrible disfuguring product. I would love to have my dark under eye lines back. Atleast cover up would work. Now I have a huge bump that has been there for 2.5 years. Its horrible. Keep me posted if you find a good solution or if you start a lawsuit. I am in. No one should pay to live with this condition.
I have my third surgery scheduled to try to remove remaining granulomas caused my evolence filler this November 2011. Almost, two years since the first initial evolence injection. I may be starting a new job so this may have to be postponed.

My PS has continued to be somewhat sincere in trying to correct the damages yet his head nurse is at times like "Nurse Ratched" She and the PS at times still continue to act as if "evolence" is no problem and it must be some random happenstance. If that was truly the case then why so many others who are having the same complication? My PS knows my past history and I have had several filler injections over the years since my mid 30's due to acne scaring. None of these fillers caused any complications and perhaps one of the reasons my PS thought evolence was a good choice. His head nurse told me in my last visit that granulomas can happen with any injection and tried to imply" that since I once had acne resulting in acne scars that this made me more prone to granulomas"?....aka..bad scaring skin! Sorry, but I don't buy this excuse. I believe from my experience and on line research that the bumps are a total result due to the product and injection method.
On my last appointment the PS agreed to remove the bumps along the side of my nose that are prominent 90% of the time. They don't want to do any more surgery under the eyes as of now. I still have three small scar bump marks under my left eye with one possible remaining granuloma. I have two other granulomas that appear and disappear on my right eye area. These plus my left fold nasal area bumps leave my face looking very lumpy on any given day. Some days looking smaller than others. He will try to excise my nose bumps from one area with hopes of minimal scaring. His head nurse once said they couldn't do this without leaving a long scar, but now the PS claims scaring would be minimal as he goes down in one spot for the removal. Who can you trust?

I cannot say that my face has been nearly restored to it's original state since the initial evolence injections but better than a year ago and especially since almost two years ago. I do have fears of future bumps appearing and have recently seen my left side under my brow take on some slight arch bump starting from the point of a an evolence injection site. It's not happening on the right side.
I'm still trying to work my way out of this nightmare. I'm sure once most the under eye granduloma removal is suppose to being finally done, a laser surgery will be needed to minimize the scaring. This laser scar removal will of course be at my expense, and there is no guarantee that more bumps won't continue to pop up and have no idea what scaring may result in the final removal by my nasal fold or if it will even be a successful.

I have tried everything I know to find a resolve in the damage that evolence has caused. I have come to the conclusion that nothing will ever reverse it damages totally, just minimize it's disfiguring results. For all of you still dealing with the bumps...they will not go away over time. They indeed will require surgical removal and even then...you either have smaller grandulomas or scar bumps.
Hi my story is long but I really need help. 4 years with disfiguring under eye granulomas. I need to find what works to help my surgien help me. If anyone sees this please write me back
It's been a very long journey and the only real answer for me was surgical removal. My last surgery was in 2011. The last surgery did not remove all the granulomas but did indeed minimize them. They appear now in much smaller forms but only on occasion. They come and go. I do have very small scars under my left eye from the removal that will require some laser surgery. I still can't believe that a filler has caused me such issues. To this day, I still believe it was the product and placement that caused the issues with granulomas. I've had a variety of fillers since my late twenties and only with Evolence have I ever had these type of complications. I would so love to entertain the thought of having additional fillers around my nose area but because my experience with Evolence was a total nightmare for years I am scared to have any filler again. IF I ever decide on doing another filler again it WON'T BE IN MY EYE AREA I would only go with a filler that can be dissolved and in approved areas by the best PS Surgeon injector. My heart breaks for anyone (like me) who has had to deal with the disfiguring side effects of bad fillers/and injectors. I never realized until I went through this how a simple procedure could ruin your face. Today, I can finally look in the mirror without huge bumps but yet I still the tiny scars and a few bumps that crop up for no apparent reason and then disappear. I so reget the day I let my PS decide to use evolence on my face.
I feel your pain. I have been living this nightmare for almost a year and a half. I haven't gone 1 day without a disfiguring lump somewhere on my face. I got injections under my eyes, cheekbone, and nasal folds. Every injection site has been an raging infected lump of puss (some as large as ping pong ball cut in half). I am looking into having them removed but the one PS that I saw so far said, "treat the inflammations and it will eventually dissolve". NO IT WON'T, Genius. They come back!!!

I'm hoping to find someone that will get these out. Best of luck to all of those suffering with these disfiguring lumps. I hope we get some answers. I think we need a class action suit.
I can on hope the dr that did this to me .. Who btw ... Had told me he used it on himself .. Yet FAILED to tell me he had hard lumps from it and still injected me with it...hope sunce he is like frankenstien on himself does sumthing one day that causes him the same problems hes caused me!!! Almost three yrs in march 2012 and NO improvement. And no refund on prepaid unused services abt 2500 dlrs.... Dr mike escobedo of escobedo skin care austin tx... Be careful and dont let him pressure u nto to RIGHT then
The lumps are large and padded. A needle could not possibly dissolve these pillow lumps.Unfortunately, the lumps are here and who knows how they can disappear. Thank you.
I had this product injected in my marionette lines 2 1/2 years ago. It was given to me free and I was basically a ginea pig :) The person that injected did not have the rep there and did not inject it deep enough. It's been 2 1/2 years and the lumps are there as much as they were when I got them. I've accepted that this stuff is never going to disolve :( Luckily I did not get them in the eye area and feel such compassion for those of you that did. I would be so angry and frustrated. However, even though my bumps aren't visibly noticable unless I point them out to someone. The resistence against them when I smile has caused significant lines ...deep lines that were not there before the product and are a direct result. Question: Has anyone tried to have them disolved by breaking them up with a tatoo needle? My friend that does permanent make-up suggested this. She did it for my once back when I first had it done and one of the ones that is still there is at least broken uop and flattened a bit. I wish I would have done it more back then and I considering doing it again. But...then I read about the migration of these granulomas in your posts and don't know if it's a bad idea. UGH!!!! If they are small and spread out, they may not give me the deep lines though. I am really suprised that there have not been more lawsuits against this product.
Agreeeeeed ! Sounds very fishy! These jerks wanna jerk us around !
sounds fishy...
Thanks again for your well wishes and informative responses. Just a quick update. This week I see my PS for second follow up appointment after my second surgery for the removal of grandulomas caused by evolence injections. When making my second appointment with his head nurse she informed me after reviewing the medical notes that the bumps remaining on my left side under my eyes are scar bumps. I'm sorry but I'm really questioning if this is indeed true. Maybe one bump is a scar bump but the other one is starting to feel hard underneath again and at times sore. I can't help but feel that they are wanting to say scar bumps so the PS will be done with trying to fix this completely. All my PS told me last visit is that "we were getting there" Why, didn't he tell me scar bumps? Her response feels like another stall tactic or another excuse to keep me from making appointments with him to fix this once and for all. The long bump by the side of my nose has been pretty much ignored by them with periodic steroid injections and surgery not an option. Time will tell.
Did you have them removed under your eyes? I need help to tell my surgeon what has worked fir others. If so where is the incision ? Thanks for any info Andrea
Thanks for the update. I've been checking...hoped this surgery would be the fix you need and deserve. I still have a scar under my right eye, and continue to apply Kelycote and Bio Oil. It has improved. I hope it will be gone by the 1 yr mark in November, but we'll see. I may always have a slight scar there. I can still detect a couple of small bumps under my other eye, but most people would never notice it. I just know they are there. Not very malable, but barely. Overall, I am very pleased with my surgery...huge improvement over the bumps...especially my large bump. Please continue to let me know how u r doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I truly can relate! Just sorry yours is taking longer to get resolved. Thanks for sharing your story!

Hi 6999,

I second 6748's thanking. It's great for the community to know these things.

-Britt

Thank you for posting what your have gone thru with the removal of the lumps.
It sounds like this surgery may do the trick. I sure hope so! Please give us an update once the bruising/swelling improves.
Here is my latest update from my second surgery to have graunulomas removed due to evolence injections. It has been five weeks since the surgery and it does not appear he was successful in removing it ALL The bumps are definitely smaller and not as hard but still very visible and the incision scars a bit more obvious now. My PS responded with ..."We're getting there"...but that is what he said after the first surgery. He also said that the incision marks can be corrected with laser at a later date. He injected more cortisone in the remaining bumps and it appears to me that a few dissolvable stitches still remain. I don't know why he didn't catch that or remove them. The shots did not appear to effect the size of the remaining granduloma bumps. He did not set a follow up appointment and told me just to call him in 3 or 4 weeks if I felt things were not improving. There is still a large long raised bump by the side of my nose that runs parallel to the side of my nose where he injected it with evolence but due to it's location he didn't want to perform surgery there. He felt he would have to go in way to deep and results would look worse that it is with deep scaring. This granduloma comes and goes in but I can always feel it. I cannot say this second surgery was a success but it has slightly improved the condition. The cortisone shot injections have only proven to reduce the size for 48 hours at the most only to return to the original size. The only exception is the granuloma on my right side was injected instead of a second surgery attempt to remove it. I now have a slightly depressed (indent) area there. I'm not happy about that but it did appear to dissolve that remaining small granuloma.
I am still not satisfied with my current results and believe a third surgery may be required down the road. Of course, my plastic surgeon has not mentioned this yet or said what else he plans to do in the future to restore the destruction of evolence injections to my face. I will keep you updated as I continue to seek restoration to the damages of evolence injection.
Thank you so much for the well wishes! The second surgery was much easier than the first in many ways. I stayed asleep for most of it and my eye area is not nearly as swollen and bruised as in the first surgery. I did not have him try to remove the two small bumps on the right side as they are minimal and concerned the scars might have out weighed the risk. He did inject one with another steroid shot. The left side is a whole other story and screamed for second attempt at removal. Since it's only been 4 days, it's too soon to predict the outcome. I feel slightly raised areas where the stitches are which would seem normal. I do not feel any hard bumps underneath as I did last time but there is still swelling and light bruising in the area. Of course, concerned about scar bumps and or any possibility that he was still unable to remove all the granulomas left.
I've been looking for further clarity on just what the bumps consist of and what causes granulomas. They are very hard in content when removed and for months believed it was hardened evolence.
I found an older article on line about granulomas. I think the incidence of granulomas caused from dermal fillers (especially evolence) is now so much higher than reported in this article but it pretty much states some honest facts that your PS will not tell you. Here is the link: http://www.zeel.com/c/granuloma/removal-get-rid-of. This article is very informative and faults the injector. I believe it's a combination of poor injector technique and the filler product selected including placement.
A frightening fact that very little people have addressed is the migration that can happen or granulomas that can appear later...years later including different places.
It will be two years this coming November since my botched injection. The damages have been overwhelming in how it has effected my time, money, self esteem and life. What we all thought would be a harmless quick fix turned out to be disfiguring moment. I am so hoping that I will have good news to report in the near future.
WOW ...fantastic...gives me the courage to now go ahead and get the surgery..tired of wearing sun glasses..etc..keep us posted ..'

i agree...a little quick fix can do so much damage..take care ...im sure you will have good results..this evolence is a mess...