6 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck...Best Decision I Ever Made! - Crown Point, IN

ON November 20th I had a full tummy tuck and lipo....

ON November 20th I had a full tummy tuck and lipo. (I am a 41 yr old female)After a year of research and comtemplation I finally felt ready for this surgery. I had lost 22lbs and in the past have had 2 c sections (2very large babies almost 10lbs each!) and had huge gap in fascia covering muscles so it appeared I had a pot belly, as well as extra skin and overhang on lower abdoman. This drove me crazy and was very hard trying to fit clothing as the rest of me is fairly fit and athletic.

THe surgery went great and I went home the same day. I did not have a pain pump but my phsycian left fluid inside of me to help keep me numb for some time. The pain was well controlled at all times and I made the hour drive home the same day and even up two flights upstairs to recooperate. THe drains were uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as I had imagined. More of a nuiscance then pain really. I had them removed at about 10 days post op.

INsicion pain was really not present at all, most pain is discomfort in muscles that are repaired in upper abdoman (for me)..and spasming at times when I tried to do to much or move alot. I was able to attend my families Thanksgiving just 4 days post op. Though I was medicated highly :)

There really was never any time I regretted my decision and I am thrilled to death now with my decision and my results. Swelling was bad the first week (though I didnt really care so much at the time) but even then I could see the big difference in my body shape. I can now actually see my six pack!! Its insane being able to buy all new clothes even my shirts no longer fit properly because my tummy stuck out on top from muscle seperation due to pregnancy and it is completely flat..(Woo hoo!!) I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I am just six weeks post op.

I would say the worst for me was the post op visits (I had 3) where my dr removed drains (that didnt hurt) but had to drain some other areas in my stomach and abdoman that had fluid build up. It wasn't excruciating but it just kind of made me uncomfortable. Other than that all went well.

I still cant sleep on my tummy yet, as top muscles still are "stiff"...or lift alot. But I spent probably 40 hours walking and doing holiday shopping within 2 weeks after surgery. You just have to know your body and when to stop if you are doing to much.

If anyone out their is considering it, please dont just read all of the horror stories out their it really isn't that bad, especially as compared to a C section. Though be aware of complications and choose your doctor wisely and be sure you have great trust with them.

I will try to get some before/after pics posted soon. It is amazing! I went down a clothing size right away (getting to wear jrs clothes!!)and they are now sagging on me as well..I am so happy I made this decision it really is life changing. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I'm using the Same DR March 5. I hope that I'm looking just as Fab.. I'm Scared You know what "Less" LOL.. Thanks for any updates! Did you do anything to prepare ? I ask because we're down to 3 weeks, I thought that I was supposed to be doing Something (IE.. taking Iron Pills.. or Detoxing my body) I have no idea so I can't pretend that I do. the REceptionist just says that I will be getting a call 4 days or so before. Like thats it? :) you look terrific!
I had the same surgery (plus umbilical hernia repair) on Oct. 15, so I am about a month ahead of you in the healing process. I know the recovery process is lengthy. I still have swelling as well, and it is mostly above the incision line. I feel like the lipo was much more invasive than the tummy tuck. I still am tender and sore where that was done (hips and flank area) and feel like it is a little swollen in those spots too. My p.s. told me that I will see improvement for months. I still wear my "girdle" because I feel more comfortable with it on. I would definately talk to your dr., but my guess is that your body is healing and that most of the swelling will resolve itself within the next 3-4 months. Good luck!
I have just one problem that is concerning me now. My love handle areas on both sides of hips are swollen given a big of a strange appearance. Both sides were "drained" (by needle aspiration via ultrasound) during my last office visit two weeks ago and were flat when I left the office. I am not scheduled for another visit for a week but am hoping this is just fluid accumulation but not sure if this area can be "drained" at such a later time after surgery or if this is just swelling that will subside. It was great after I left office. I have been trying to wear my support girdle more to help smooth this out. Is this common? This area is right above the incision on or near my hip bones and one side is visibly more swollen then the other. Any suggestions or has anyone had this experience? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Photo Update

Hi, do you have any other pictures of the incision or your belly button? I'm looking for a close doctor and your results look awesome!
Thank u so much for all the helpful info! I really appreciate it!
I'm so glad to hear that the pain is tolerable! You
Give me' so much hope & peace of mind. I look pretty much now like Ur b4 pics. U look amazing now! I hope I look that good soon! I thnk about it all the time.
Actually I did not have a pain pump, I don't want to misquote but whatever he put inside of me during surgery was some type of local numbing solution that wears off in about a week (I think?) so you don't need to take as much pain medication. I was amazed by it actually. I did take hydrocodone probably 2 every 4-6 hrs the first day or so and it controlled pain very well for me. I easily reduced that to one and sometimes just took tylenol 3. I also requested a some valium and it helped me (only took occasionally and mostly later in healing after I was off most pain meds it helped deal with mild muscle spasms, nothing extremely bad just tightening of muscles). Honestly I remember having 2 c-sections and it was really rough walking the same day. I am still amazed that I walked up two flights of stairs (slowly of course) to stay at a friends just a couple hours after surgery. The pain was not in the incision site at all, like I had imagined it would be. You will do just fine and this type of surgery is also nice because you actually feel your belly is gone right away, even with bandages I felt much smaller. As far as pain meds, I felt the pain was very controlled and at no time did I feel in terrible pain. Good luck to you on your surgery. I think you will be thrilled with your results, seriously I took a year to get the courage up for the surgery and I am so glad I did it. As far as the pain pump Im not sure, I know they help with pain alot, I had one after c section and it worked well. I am not sure how mobile they are.Also, make sure you have some kind of recliner to sit in the first few days. I spent most of my time in one and it really helped me getting up and down and being able to elevate feet and dangle them.
Dr Demetrios Katsoros

Dr K is the best! He takes so much time with you for each and every visit. He answers every questions shows pictures, examples and explains medically why/ how things can be done. Great bedside manner as well as the rest of his office staff I just love and place great trust in their skills and decisions.