Implants After Mastectomy... Memory Gel - Tampa, FL

I had a hysterectomy and double mastectomy with...

I had a hysterectomy and double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants. My first surgery went much better than I thought. I did however have to get a revision surgery for the implants, which I was told about upfront by my plastic surgeon. He told me to expect several.

Next surgery was great. I have had nothing but positive experiences. I am, however, going in for what is hopefully my last revision to get fuller/bigger implants to fill out some of the hollow left in my chest after the mastectomy.

I'm a bigger woman at 197 pounds. I have 600 cc implants now which look wonderful and real but small on my wide frame. I'm going in three weeks to get 800 cc implants.

Have faith and do your research. This was so worth it for me.

Tampa Plastic Surgeon

My oncolgist is Rand Altemose.. Love him.. treated the rest of my family. Breast Surgeon John Cox, Tampa, Florida Finally plastic surgeon, Dr. A. He is caring, realistic, up front, and honest . He will get the job done for you. And be honest with you. Plus his staff is fast, courtesy and I have come to love all of them!

I had my very large but flat implants replaced with a solid form anatomically correct tear drop shapped implant. The roundness is back ! Also I downsized and love that the smaller implants look perky while my bigger ones did not. Friday I had some fat transfer to put In between the scars and my muscle. They were adhering to my muscle. He also added some fat to some areas that had a slight wrinkle look or was showing the outline of the implant. I too was told that I had a great result and there was no way to get better....only a handful of plastic surgeons have the training to work with solid form implants, so they don't tell you about the amazing difference they make.
I have never heard of solid form implants? Are they soft like silicone or do they feel hard and plastic like?
who is the best surgeon to go with? Adamson in sarasota.?? Soler in tampa or Albear?? I am new here from calif and NJ. thanks Deb i had a r mastectomy 14 years ago never had it fixed now need to do it.
There are many great reconstructive surgeons in this area. Please message me privately and I can give you a few of my opinions. I work with mastectomy clients reconstructing aeolas through the art of tattooing. I have seen all kinds of local surgeon's work. Thanks
is this working?
I just started. had my expander put in the pain was bad from that for 4 days, had to take pain killers could barely move about the bed. the 1st two fills were painfree then the 3rd was a bit different, 50 cc's it stung and i felt it much more, what is up with that? I still have 7 more fills i think, now i am scared. lol why does the expander seem so high up compared to the other breast? Anyway I hope i can get thru this by myself its hard. I am using Dr. Solar in Tampa, anyone else have him? he is the only one that takes my insurance. would love to hear any comments or feedback you may have.
Hi Debbie, I also didn't like how the expanders felt as they were getting filled up either. Like you said the first few didn't bother me. I felt a bit of pain when it came to my last few. You seem to have a ways to go. There so damn hard and uncomfortable. I am a belly sleeper and it killed me not to be able to sleep on my belly for a year. My Dr. was in NPR which is where I live. What insurance do you have? Are you done with chemo treatments or radiation? Itll be done before you know it :) try and stay positive for as long as you can. Some days are better than others.
You will be higher than normal, no need to worry. I did and said it out load that why I am having them redone. My plastic surgeon thought then up the up higher so would not drop .
Sorry little to much happy juice. Any way I found a wonderful new doctor and he has been able to correct most mistakes. I will admit he was like the rest white lab coat and such, but I got him to laugh after that her became human to me and my husband. We could ask him anything . Thing are going well. Although wait houbbbô
I was not finished. The Is new way they are using are me on me is going to drive me crazy. This is my second try at reconstruction . The first on was do something and wait three months to see if it worked right. I have to go to the VA and we have only one doctor to share. I believe in this procres and well continue down this road. I am months away from my new blobs an a new flat tummy. But in all due time, the govt works in there own Time frame. God bless you all. Living with issuing. I pray for you all and your family alike!
Go see Dr. Jason Rosenberg in Gainesville! He specializes in the DIEP. My first reconstruction failed, radiated side developed a lot of scar tissue, and the other side, it ended up the silicone implant leaked out. My plastic surgeon didn't want to create a wound and make a wound. She referred me, and I am the happiest ever! He wants you to be 'perfect'. He listens to you, and 'gets it'! I had mine a year ago Sept. 24, it is a long process, but worth every bit of it. He uses the 'fat' from your tummy so you get a tummy tuck too, and also has to do microsurgery connecting the veins and arteries in your breast. Through the series of surgeries, as he does them, giving them time to heal and the swelling to go down, he is always concerned about you. He removed the fat from the 'skin saving' mastectomy on each side, he told me there would be a scar, but that's not a big deal to me, it's just part of it, it feels better. My breasts feel real, it's your fat in them, so they also gain and lose weight! My radiated side he said will stay the same, so we have been working on matching the other side up with that. He is so very patient, and emphasizes each time how happy he wants you to be. He will lift them, fill them, tighten them, it's like custom breasts! I had my double done in 2006, and I actually got my first nipples since then! It's the little things you know! lol I have NO regrets what-so-ever! It would be hard to do if you just had the mastectomys and were going through chemo and radiation, as I did, but I did the tissue expanders during that, actually having my tissue expanders over a year. WE, cancer survivors can do anything! ;) Seriously check him out.
I like this blog and this site thanks for shearing…….?????
Hello all! I was 26 when I was dx with IDBC and had a double mastectomy with grafting of the nipples. I am now three years post sx and treatments. I had a few sx's on my chest to try and get the look that made me most comfortable. I am 5'4" around 145lbs. I was a small B cup before being dx. I have 650 cc's silicone implants. I love big boobs and I would love to go back in for revision. One of my implants looks like its coming thru the side of my boob. When you press on the piece sticking out it almost feels like an air bubble. I hate it, but not sure if insurance would pay for a revision or not. I also do not want to go to my previous surgeon. I live in New Port Richey and that is where my surgeon is. So If I knew insurance would pay for a revision I would love to have a consult with a new surgeon and discuss my issues with the current implants. I also had the skin grafting done for nipple reconstruction and am very unhappy with it. When I first had the surgery they looked so real and so great! I felt like a real woman again. Unknowingly that the they would slowly start flattening out and you wouldnt be able to even see any nipple sticking out. The skin grafting was taken from the skin on my hip area. So now I have two est 6inch thick scars on each hip bone and they are so ugly. Sometimes Im bothered by how they look in a bathing suit when they happen to show. Okay well Ive babbled enough. If anyone has any suggestions on a great plastic surgeon that has a lot of experience with double mastectomy patients please let me know. If anyone has any insurance information on if the ins will pay for a revision, let me know. Thanks so much for all the help to whoevers out there reading these.
Baileysgirl, Please message me privately, I have much to say about your situation. I am in your area. I may be able to help.
I am a Permanent Makeup Artist in Tampa bay area, (palm harbor) and i have had the honor to perform areola repigmentation on many mastectomy and breast lift clients. I must say re-establishing the color and shape of areolas is as big a part as the correct implant. The areola can establish better symmetry appearance, and using the correct shading techniques can make the nipple appear as if it's protruding even though there was no nipple! Often clients have better looking breasts and areolas than ever before, and it makes me very happy to know that I am seeing them when they have reached the end of their cancer fears. I refer to it as the icing on the cupcake. If you wish to Private message to address any questions that are too personal for this forum, please feel free!
Oh and on an added note: I often treat the scars left behind from surgery with great results. It's a very simple procedure and very effective, as it forces your body to produce collagen which flattens scars, and restores melanin so that the white inner portion of the scar returns to your regular skin tone, making scars indistinguishable.
How do I get in touch with you?
Please message me privately! Click on my user name and then send a message!

Private messaging is always an option for community members, but I would encourage you to have open discussions on the forums so others can learn from the conversations and join in them as well.  The more information we share openly, the better. :)

Absolutely - fat grafts are very commonly used methods for filling in lumpectomy sites or just low areas that sometimes occur after reconstruction. My PS recommended using fat from the hip/upper thigh area as it doesn't disappear quickly when a person loses weight. In other words it has "staying power." My fat grafts have worked out just fine x 1 year.
I know that there are some portions that are flat on my chest. and they are not nearly as perky as I had hoped.. matter of fact they look like my old breasts.. slightly sagging but it's because I had a skin sparing. They removed alot of tissue from my chest walls and my doctor has explained to me in depth that no matter what I do.. I will never have pam anderson or perky breasts. he explained it like.. laying an implant on a mattress... it has something to support it and give it a level floor, but when you place an implant where all the tissue has been removed it has to serve as the mattress and the implant.. I have the largest silicone mentor that they make and it can't go up any higher in the pocket because of it's size.. so I hate the indentations that are concave at my collar bones but all in all i'm lucky to have what i have.. However, I have to admit I love them best right after surgery.. they have the fuller firmer appearance then.

I would talk to your doctor again, tell him what makes you unhappy and ask for options. At some point and time you will probably need to have your implants replaced and you could switch them out then..

Best of luck ladies.. I wish you all the best.. I wish it for all of us!
is there no way for a tissue or fat graft from your own body to fill the areas that you are unhappy with...I really believe that if they can suck fat out of us they can certainly put it back into us! I hope you find a doctor that can make you feel like yourself again
Don't know what happened to my reply - fat grafts work great for filling in indented areas that can occur, especially in the upper chest with the round implants. It works great - also used for lumpectomies! Works great - ask your PS!
Coco, ask your PS about fat grafting in those areas above the implants that are concave. i waskinda upset about those areas too. my PS lipo'd fat from my hip and filled them in! Now i can wear low cut tops,swim suits, etc.
I am going through the same thing; I am unhappy with the flattened look of my implants. Insurance will pay for a re-do and I am opting for the High Profile Smooth round Mentor implants. They have more projection, but if you want a "natural" looking breast, you may have to opt for the diep or flap procedures. You may want to get a 2nd opinion before proceding and make sure your Dr. in "in-network." Good luck.