TT and Lipo - Carol Stream, IL

Ok, so I'm nine days out and I'm scared....

Ok, so I'm nine days out and I'm scared. Yep, downright shaking in my boots, stomach sick kind of scared! Somewhere in there is some excitement as well but the fear is winning at the moment. I KNOW that once all is said and done I will be THRILLED with the results but I must say I'm not a huge fan of pain and the wondering/worrying about how bad it will be is what gets me. These boards have been great however, if for nothing more than knowing you all survived! :) Truthfully it has been so informative of what to expect and how to prepare. Thank all of you for sharing your stories!

A little bit about me. I'm 42, wife and mother of two. At my top weight, I was 215 pounds and a smoker. I'm happy to say that I'm 164 now and have maintained that weight for a couple of years. Oh yeah, and no smoking either! While this is not the "ideal" weight on my 5'5" frame, I'm happy with where I'm at. I work out twice a week with a trainer and usually twice on my own. Unfortunately no amount of working out is doing anything to help my "flap" so that is my motivation behind having the TT.

I can't even imagine what my tummy will look like after the surgery. Is there anyone out there approximately my size that has photos to share? I'm going to put my before photos up soon.

Any pep talks would be greatly appreciated! And prayers too! Thank you!

I'm so glad that I decided to have this...

I'm so glad that I decided to have this surgery! Even just a few days post op and I can already see an unbelievable change. The pain was very easy to manage with meds and besides being very tired I feel great!

Saw the doctor on 1/19 with hopes that the drain...

Saw the doctor on 1/19 with hopes that the drain would come out today! No such luck. My body is still producing too much fluid so it stays in for a least three more days. Sigh. It doesn't hurt, the leaking is annoying however. My belly button stitches are out and steri stip off of my incision. Wow, the incision isn't as bad as I thought! Yes it is long but I feared with my skin type it would end up wide like some of the others I have. Nope! Yeah!! The numbness at the lipo areas is getting better although no where near gone. I'm back to work on Monday. Not looking forward to that only because I so enjoyed being home! :)
I uploaded photos Friday night and hope that they'll be posted soon. The changes are AMAZING!

Warrenville Plastic Surgeon

Don't get down! Remember this is a 6 week or more process. You are doing fabulous! and there is a bright light (and a tight tummy) at the end of the tunnel.
Ok, so I know it was crazy to think I'd be able to wear my jeans yet BUT I did try since Fridays are casual day at work and nope, didn't fit. Even though I knew, was prepared for that outcome it was depressing. I think I'm moving through a "blue" phase. My drain is still in (day 16) but at least the output level is going down. Maybe Monday it will be out.
Your posts have been a great encouragement to me. How was your fist day back?
First day back wasn't too bad! I survived although I enjoyed being home much better. :) The worst part was getting up after sitting for awhile. It seems like everything tightens up so fast and then it takes a minute of two to loosen back up so I can stand completely upright. Everyday gets better though! The next hurdle is getting this drain tube out! Keep your fingers crossed for Thursday!

My fingers are crossed for you!!!

WOW you do look amazing!  What a difference; you have got to be so excited with these awesome results!

Go easy on Monday at work.  Expect to be tired, swollen and cranky..LOL

This is all normal so don't get frustrated the first couple of weeks back.  Also try not to plan anything for after work the first couple of weeks back.  Just go directly home, kick your feet up and relax.    My first two weeks back I could hardly wait to get home at night and peel my spanx clothes off.
Yes, I was definitely all three! I came home....hit the couch..and took a 2 hour nap! Much better now. :) It was a long day for sure. The drain had me a little cranky. Hurts at times. I will be so happy when it can finally come out!

Glad to hear you are doing well!   Stay positive, rest and take your meds.  Keep us up to date.
The compression garment reminds me of a really big ace bandage divided into sections or panels horizontally. Does that make sense? The 4 panel is longer, it extends from just below my breasts to slightly below my hips. The 3 panel starts a lower on my stomach and gives me more mobility. Make sense?
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I hope that you're doing well!
Glad to hear you are doing well. Im excited to see my results but not looking forward to nausea, vomiting, and pain. Post some pics when you get a chance. How much time are you taking off work?
I'm only scheduled to be off from work 10 days. I'll be back at work on the 24th. Since I have a desk job I'm hoping it isn't too bad.
I have two compression garments, one is a four panel that I woke up with after surgery. The other is a three panel that my surgeon gave me after my first post op visit. I would definitely check with your surgeon on which garment to buy. Having two is great so you can switch it out for washing. I have to do that as my drainage tube is leaking a little. Completely normal, but a pain in the butt!
Oh, it's great to know. I'll keep this in mind for the next surgery. Btw, what does it mean 3 or 4 panel garments? Thx
you still have your drainage tube? My Dr. said I cannot take a shower until it is out, but you showered on Saturday? Did you avoid getting the drain area wet and if so how did you do that? I was told I could wash hair in sink, but not take real shower for 7-10 days and that is going to be a problem unless I can figure out how to show earlier. I will want to shower by day 3 at the latest!!
Yes, I still have my drainage tube in. The doctor gave me the ok to shower as long as my back stays to the shower head. No direct spray on my stomach. I did do my best to keep as little water as possible from running down my front!
Hey Alecia:) how are you doing? Was today the big day? just checking up on you. I am scheduled for Feb 5th. I am going on Tuesday for a preop appointment and pictures. Im excited but scared.
Hi everyone! Ok, so let me start by saying IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT!!! I had my procedure on Wednesday the 12th so I guess you would say I am three days post op? Feeling GREAT! I'm up and around, and besides feeling tired and a little sore I can't complain. The pain wasn't even close to what I had imagined! Actually I kept waiting for it to get worse and it never did. I woke up from surgery around 1:30 p.m. Pain level was a four but I kinda figured that was related to the anethesia. The anethesiologist (sorry about the spelling!) said my doctor had me under more of a local sedation versus heavy. He said it helps with the nausea in recovery. He also was pumping me with pain meds and anti-nausea medicine through out the procedure. Anyway, got home around 4:30 p.m. still feeling great. Ok, getting up and down off the couch wasn't easy but it wasn't excrutiating. I was sore and yes, the muscles were aching but a pain pill really knocked whatever discomfort I had down to almost nothing! I did have to take two pain pills around 10:00 p.m. to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. Thursday morning was a little bit rougher. The lipo areas were VERY sore and bruised but again, not a stabbing pain, just really sore. I kept up on my schedule of pain meds, walked when I could and tried to sleep. Friday my pain pump was removed (YIPEE!) and I got to see my tummy for the first time. HOLY CRAP. I honestly could not believe that was me! I'm still very swollen but could already see the difference. Tears of joy. It was really overwhelming. Today is Saturday and I had my first shower. Completely exhausted after that but again, no pain just so darn tired. I got the chance to really study myself in the mirror and have to say thank God my pubic area won't look like that forever! YIKES that is swollen! Miami - you are going to do just fine! I'm the biggest baby around when it comes to pain and I'm being completely honest when I tell you that for me it wasn't bad! My advice would be to stay up on your pain meds. I set an alarm to make sure I didn't miss a dose. Be sure to clip your drain tube to you. I didn't and the first time I got up that thing dropped and man did that hurt! Oh, same thing with the pain pump if you have it. Be sure it is attached to you before getting up. Use your legs and arms to get you up and down. It takes a little practice but once you get it down it really does make it easier. I feel like I'm rambling but if there is anything I missed telling or anything you'd like to know specifically PLEASE ask! I'm excited to share my experience. Oh and last little tidbit. The doctor removed 3 pounds of skin and fat. Yipee and kinda gross all at the same time! I'm not at home so I didn't get to upload photos but I'll do that soon. You all won't belive the difference! :) Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support. It all made a world of difference!
Wow! I'm glad that you're up and able to write this much! It took me 1 week to sit up and another 2 weeks before I can stay up for few hours. I'm so scared this time b/c I don't have enough paid time off and have to be back in 2 weeks. But now I'm excited b/c getting up in few days is actually real and maybe if I choose the right surgeon, I can have it too. Oh, what kind of garments that they gave you? I bought a very tight girdle last time and I thought that actually messed me up. Because it was to tight, it squeezed the belly button too small and looked funny. Also, the incision where they opened up the abdomen somehow not straight line but rather waivy and looks like a smiling face. I think this time I'd just buy the post-op compression garment. Ok, I should keep it short so you won't have to sit up too long. Good to hear from you. Keep us posted
OH, yes. The new surgeon quoted me for new tt and lipo over several areas (upper abdomen, lovehandles, inner thigns). It'll cost me another $10k. But I'll go for it again. I hope that you choose the right doc b/c it cost me double to have it done again. Too bad that I can't go there to the same doc that you go to. I'm so sad that I didn't choose the right doctor. Last year at the same time, I was shopping for a doc; just the same as I'm doing now. Do you know any thing about dr. Fisher in Cerritos, Ca? I saw his works in real patients. omg, they're gorgeous. All patients have flat tummy with sexy lines in the middle and scars were like my stretch marks. Does the doctor recommend lipo on the pubic area too? I found that area to be big each time I had surgeries. Since the doc did it last year, i'm not sure if i should ask for it this time when I have my new tt done? i'll double check with other surgeon.
I am looking to have my surgery in early February. I do not look forward to the pain and Im only focused on the end result. May have to reschedule if my mom is not able to fly to Miami to take care of me. I live in Miami alone and the rest of my family is in Chicago. Thats where I underwent my medical training at University of Illinois in Chicago. Thats also where I know Dr. Sigalove from.

My surgeon is planning to use a pain pump with local anesthetic? Has anyone else used this?

As far as the constipation...I experienced constipation after my liposuction severeal yrs ago. I would recommend taking exlax or some stool softner and drink lots of fluids. i was miserable w the constipation, the compressive garments, and the swelling. I felt much better after the stool softners. Hope this helps.
I'll have a pain pump. I hear it really helps! Keeping fingers crossed. :)
I had my prep op testing done on Friday. EKG too because off high blood pressure. Unless my blood work comes back abnormal I should be good to go!
Are you also having lipo? Im going for full tummy tuck and lipo of flanks and back.
Yes, lipo of the flanks and back like you. The doc is doing standard lipo procedure. He said he'll make two small incisions in my back, one on each side and that I'll be pretty bruised up.
Hi Alecia,sorry I didn't word it correctly. The pain medication that they used on me didn't last long enough; that's why I had the terrible pain few hours post-op. I hope your doctor is more experienced than my surgeon. He didn't recommended the liposuction on my flanks and upper abdomen. Now I have no curves (b/c he liposuction the side lower flanks and not the curvehandles)and my tummy is still big like I were 5 month pregnant. I'm considering another surgery to correct it.
I actually trained with Dr. Sigalove at University of Illinois. Good guy. I went for my consult yesterday but in Miami. Ive always wanted a tummy tuck and now I may have it in a few weeks. I am also scared as i am also not a fan of pain. And I am also an anesthesiologist. I dont think anything we do can prep you for the postop pain.