Body Lift & Breast Lift- been through the worst, praying for the best

I lost 140lbs and was left with massive amounts of...

I lost 140lbs and was left with massive amounts of excess skin. I opted to have a lower body lift and breast lift with silicone implants to correct my body contour and reshape my life =) I had a circumferential body lift and breast lift with implants on May 13, 2011 and could not be happier!

There are 3 things I think are very important to...

There are 3 things I think are very important to ask your surgeon (other than the obvious preferences you may have) and they are:

1. What hospital are you affiliated with? If your surgeon is not affiliated with any hospital it is for 2 reasons, 1. not enough credits and 2. was removed from affiliation. Big red flag here!

2. Who is your back up surgeon in case of an emergency? Doctor's have lives too and if they are on vacation or tied up and there is an emergency, make sure they have another surgeon in the office or one for them to send you to who you can contact.

3. Contract for care. There is a doctor/patient relationship established as soon as you schedule for them to do your surgery. Make sure that throughout the entirety of your follow up appointments and recovery, they are going to be your doctor. Get a list of appointments included with the fee and find out how long you will be in their care for this specific procedure.

Swansea Plastic Surgeon

feel free to message me.

GK - wow so sorry to hear all you've been thru! Totally sucks that your PS wasn't even able to help or even cared too. Glad you found someone decent!

I'm also having wound issues but not due to infection. My wound is quite large in the front but superficial and not so deep. He says it can look worse before it looks better. Did you see that to be the case? They are now doing the wet to dry method. My dr has been great and assures me it will heal. Reading your story helped me see that 1st it could be worse. I'm not having to fight a massive infection and 2- that I have a dr who is on it. I see him weekly and he is available by phone 7 days a week. I have to change the dressings twice a day. Well my mom does I should say. I'm at almost 8 weeks. He says it could take 1-2 months. How long did your take?

I'm glad you are well now and congrats on all the races you are running & supporting.
I had a very large dehesion after a C-section with wet to dry dressing changes two times daily. Mine took a year to heal, though it went from being open to the muscle layer and holding two full rolls of gauze to half dollar sized in 6 months. It took a revision to finally close it close to one year out.
Not so random but I'd rather not elaborate here. You can email me at ginger.kabureck@yahoo.com and I'll tell you the whole story...
Thank you everyone for your thoughts- it has been a tough road but I'm better now =)
I have decided to "pay it forward" and from all of the support I received and prayers I was given, I am using my body, spirit & mind to begin running 5k's, 1/2 marathons and marathons for those in need. I've selected about 3-4 races per month where I will donate money and run for a good cause. I have joined a running group called the Road Warriors out of southern IL. You can visit their site here: runningroadwarriors.org I did my first 5k on Sunday, the 4th of September, and the proceeds went to a widow and her daughter who lost her husband and child's father in Afghanistan during the war.
Wow u are such an inspiration!!!
Thank you for your candour. I'm sorry you've been through this. I hope things are better now.
Wow I just read your blog~ I am SO sorry you went through all this holy smokes girl friend~ are you doing better now?
That is so wrong they never called to check on you! I would call them and be like hey remember me?? hehe. So it was just a random incident that you contracted the staph and strep? The doctor didn't do something to cause it? I guess that is a lesson for those of us looking for a doctor, seeing if they are affiliated with a hospital. I'm glad you are doing better, I would have been a mess just seeing those places open on my body.
no I didn't have drains, I formed a hematoma throughout my abdomen and my doctor drained it manually by cutting the incision open and pushing the blood clot out. he then inserted a penrose drain that stayed in 6 days. upon removal of the drain I contracted both staph & strep infection and had to have an operation to remove the pus filled tissue throughout my abdomen. I was hospitalized for 5 days and then sent home on a wound vac for 6 weeks for the 2 gaping wounds in my abdomen where the pus had been removed. I was seen by a home nursing group that had to change the wound dressings 3 times a week. I ended up not being able to fight the infections alone and had to get the vac off so that my new dr could do the wet-to-dry gauze method. it has been a very long, stressful and traumatic experience but I am finally closed up and healed. the scars I'm left with are about an inch thick versus the thin scar a normal, healthy operation would be left with.
my surgery was done in his office building and he was unable to treat my infection because he is not affiliated with any hospital. I had to find a new plastic surgeon to complete the abscess removal and after care. his office has never called to see if I'm even still alive. but I have faith in divine justice ;)
wow you are a fighter and i am happy that you are well and alive!!!!this is one of few horrific stories i have heard about but you are still here to talk about it so may God bless u and your family
Hi. Did you have draining tubes in the after the surgery was done the first time? I have read people that have tummy tucks have a drain when they leave the hospital. What made you get the infections? Looks like it was pretty scary.

I learned how to eat from caloriecount, sounds weird but I had the tools on that site to research calories in foods (ya know, no nutrition facts on the side of an apple), a BMI calculator, food log, weight log, and so many other tools to aid in healthy living. As for exercise, I walked my neighborhood (2.5 miles) daily and did a dvd workout (Jillian Michaels 30-day shred) and over a 2 year period worked hard at eating right and exercising and finally reached my goal of 140lbs. I have kept the weight off for the last 2 years (through a pregnancy even) by going to the gym and continuing to eat a healthy diet. It's never been easy but for myself and my family, getting healthy and fit was an obligation. I don't want my kids being obese like I was through my childhood. It's all about making a change you can stick with, there are many ways to drop a few pounds but unless you're eating right and exercising, its not worth it because you haven't changed bad habits and will eventually revert to old ways.

Thanks for the review! You look great and have done an amazing job in losing so much weight. How did you manage to shed 140lbs?

You look great! Congratulations to you!