Beyond Pleased!

I researched, read hundreds of reviews, and...

I researched, read hundreds of reviews, and browsed countless breast augmentation photos, but never considered writing a review. It wasn't until after my surgery that I wanted to share my amazing experience. Hopefully this is not too long and easy to read!

Ever since high school I have joked about getting a "boob job". I have always been a 34AA - if not less. I'm 5'7" and about 120-125 lbs. During pregnancy and breastfeeding, I loved my 34B-C breasts and was distraught when they practically disappeared after weaning my daughter. After many recommendations I went for a consultation at a very established and well-liked plastic surgery group.

Consultation - The office managed to schedule me the week I called. The staff was extremely likable and made a potentially awkward experience great. The nurse asked my goals then provided me with a bra and implants to try on. Afterwards she took photos then used those with a computer program to show me an estimate of before and after. The physician was wonderful. He examined me, recommended a size, and pointed out features I never noticed. He showed me that my breast tissue was almost equal on both sides but my left chest sticks out a little more than my right. We decided on 375cc (possibly 350cc on the left) high-profile Natrelle silicone implants with submuscular placement with an inframammary crease incision. He and the staff are truly experts! I was so excited I scheduled a surgery appointment that day!

Follow-up - Four weeks before surgery I went to a follow-up appointment where I was provided a shopping list, information, prescriptions, completed lab work, and paid for my surgery.

Surgery - I was the first patient scheduled for the day. I am an ICU nurse so work experiences had me terrified; however, I had a great nurse, CRNA, and physician who totally eased my fears. Dr. Dunagan informed me we could use 375cc on both sides and accept the appearance I've always had or use a smaller implant on the left and appear completely identical. I left it completely with him, he's the expert! Within an hour I was on the OR table and the last thing I remember is the nurses joking with me.

Post-Op Necessities - front-clasp sports bra for two weeks, pillows for sleeping in a sitting position, compression stockings to prevent DVTs the first five says, ICE PACKS (!!!), lots of help, gatorade and crackers

Day 0 - There are maybe two things I remember before waking up in my own bed at home - that's good anesthesia. When I woke up I was more panicked and nauseated than in pain. It felt as if I couldn't move my arms and there was an achy tightness. My mother and two sisters stayed with me and completely spoiled me. They had a notebook with all of my prescriptions and when they were last given so I stayed on a schedule. For pain I took Demerol and Vistaril together, Zofran for nausea, and Flexeril as a muscle relaxer.Honestly this day was a complete blur! But I remember walking to the bathroom to finally look at the results and I was 100% dumbfounded at how great they looked for the very first day. I expected blood, bruising, swelling, you name it but they looked great!

Day 1 - Again I don't remember much at all! I don't recall being in excruciating pain, but just enough to want to medicine. This was the last day I took pain medicine! I started taking Tylenol throughout the day and a muscle relaxer before bed after this day. The office, of course, recommended avoiding NSAIDs (Motrin, Aleve, etc.) which increase your risk for bleeding. I also continued to sleep sitting up and ice my breasts. Every day over the weekend a sweet nurse called to check in on me and update me on what I should expect.

Day 7: Post-Op Apppointment #1 - Today I was able to drive for the first time. I met with the nurse for about 10 mins for her to examine me. She explained the firmness is swelling and they will "settle" into place within three months. She also reminded me to religiously obey my activity restrictions. Dr. Dunagan recommends no lifting over 5 lbs and no reaching above your head.

Day 9-11: Return to Work - So I as I mentioned, I am a nightshift critical care nurse in a surgical-trauma unit. Lots of lifting, turning, pulling, etc. is involved so I was very apprehensive. When I got to work I was relieved I had an easy patient; however, I admitted a difficult patient. Everyone knew I was post-op and glad to help; however, I still found myself in situations where I was reaching and pulling. By the time I was headed home I was so sore and terrified I messed something up. They look great, but honestly I'm still scared I may have overworked.

Before Picture

Day of Surgery

1 Week Post Op

1 Week Post Op

13 Days Post Op

Before

2 Weeks Post Op

2nd week follow up today. Again my office is so great, I was running errands with my cranky two year old needing a nap and they let me come in early. I met with the nurse again. Everything looks good but I got another stern warning about activity restrictions. I was given the okay to wash my hair like a normal person and wear a real bra. I also bought a scar ointment.
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

I am at a loss of words! I am so pleased with the entire experience. Dr. Dunagan is trustworthy, patient, intelligent, and obviously very talented! Even my mother was impressed that he spoke with and updated her three times the day of surgery. His staff is precious; everyone has been so friendly and knowledgable. I can't stop recommending Dr. Dunagan and his staff to everyone I have talked to about my procedure.

Did the listed cost of $5100 include costs for anesthesia, surgery center, and all surgeon's fees?
Thank you so much for this post! I am a nurse as well and I finally found a doctor and made an appointment. It sounds like you didn't have to take that much time off of work. Thank you for sharing your story!
            they are beautiful!

Congratulations! You look great! I love your updates and photos. Really not a bad idea on the compression stockings. I'm surprised more doctors don't suggest this. Did you do this on your own or did your PS suggest it? Glad to hear your coworkers can help ya out a bit. Hopefully you'll be back in action soon!

Thanks.Sorry,English is not my first language.So what did you do?What can help?
What do you mean by DVTs for the first 5 days?
Anyone in bed for an extended amount of time combined with surgery is at an increased risk for deep vein thrombosis. Compression stockings help prevent the potentially fatal blood clots.
I'm about the same size as you. and your boobs look amazing now! :)
Thank you so much! I'm so happy with them.
About what size are you at now?
I just got mine on June 12th. I was a small 34B and got 475cc. They look small to me but my question to you is did you have back ache. I have an pretty high pain tolerance and I am just sooo uncomfortable. My chest is sore and sleeping is sucks. Is this normal. Everyone says they up and about within days and I'm not. I got them under the muscle.
Also did your sports bra bother your incisions? Mine are underneath the breast. I think I'm just freaking out about everything. My family says they look great. I just haven't been able to get off the meds like other ppl. :/ By the way you look great :)
Completely normal accordning to my experience. My back killed me more than anything. I would sleep (sitting up) with a heating pad between my shoulders and ice packs on my breasts. As a nurse I can assure you everyone has different experiences after surgery. My wisdom teeth extraction had me in bed a week while I was up and about 2 days later after my BA. Rest, rest, rest!
Thanks :) Nipples to incisions are still numb to me. However at like day 5-10ish my incisions itched like crazy and just felt irritated if that makes since. Ice helped for me!
Today is day 4 post op and all I've been doing is sleeping and laying down. Is that normal. You scared me with the whole blood clot comment.
Oh no I don't want to scare anyone! It's just and extra precaution to wear compression stockings. Getting up and walking around every two hours helps too!
Good tip,Thanks
How long did your back pain last? I don't know if I can take it any longer. It's my upper back and shoulders I'm so tense :/
About 3 days. Muscle relaxers were most helpful for me rather than the narcotics. I'm sorry!
You look GREAT!! Wow!!
You look fantastic!
wow you look great, we have nearly the same stats, but I got 305cc hp, !!!!
Looking awesome! We are the same stats with the same size implants! I was about 127 before surgery and am currently 123. 375 really is the perfect number for all the 5'7/120-5ers! Im 8 mons post op and they only get better girl!!
Thanks!! That's so exciting because I love them so much already!
How long before you felt comfortable doing normal workout activity again?