Supposedly "Weekend Procedure" Turned Nightmare

I went into Lifestyle Lift to simply lose the...

I went into Lifestyle Lift to simply lose the jowls that are hereditary in my family. At 45 I was a fairly attractive woman but looked like I was frowning all the time.

Well let me warn all of you that the MD did more than a "simple weekend lift". I was told I would only have a small incision into my ear and at my hair line but they felt I needed lipo of my neck also so just a tiny incision would be under my chin. I now am postop 7 days; the MD literally removed my ear and tightened my neck muscles. My ears are crooked, numb and I have sutures running all the way around my ears, up the front of my hairline and approx. 3 inches in the back of my hairline.

I am a nurse and realize that this amount of surgery should have been done in a hospital under general anesthesia and I should of had an ovenight stay. Instead I was rushed out the door for my son to take care of me. I have developed Bells Palsy, have cellulitis on the left side of my face and neck and am in intense pain. Has the Lifestyle Lift MD helped or even called to check on me? NO! I insisted on returning 4 days postop and was given methylprednisolone and acylclovir for the Bells Palsy and a script for Loratab for the pain. I have ran a temp on and off the whole week and am horrified after reading other stories of women that have been manipulated by this place and have poor results. How can they stay in business and what can we do to shut them down for good?

I return today to have my sutures out but if the redness and swelling is not better I am going to have to go to the hospital where I work and probably have IV therapy which of course Lifestyle Lift is not responsible for.

My 4-7 day simple lift has turned into a nightmare! I have had to take medical leave and am praying that I look normal again in my lifetime!

I am retracting the previous posting since much...

I am retracting the previous posting since much research on my part. the LSL MD has been very caring and seen me daily since I developed the infection. My Bells Palsy as well as infection were not due to anything the PS @ LSL did.

The URI I had for 2 weeks prior to the procedure was why I developed the Bells Palsy as well as the horrible infection that did has inhibited my healing as well as made my ears feel like they are coming off my head!

I truly believe that once my infection is gone and I can start to heal then I will be much more satisfied with my results even though it's more than I bargained for. I know that i will always question more and ask for exact specifics plus plan better than I did this time.

Now as far as the PS, he has truly been great! I am not getting compensated in anyway and I realize other women have had horrifying results however I pray that once I heal I can post pictures that show positive results.

The advertising is misleading and the consultants should have some medical degree, this I do believe. This would be a great job for nurses wishing to get out of the hospital setting.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

He has been very caring and compassionate since I developed the infection and has seen me daily. Truly seems geniune in care of your well-being.

I'm tired of MD's telling us; You got what you paid for...What the heck, This is not cheap, people work hard for their money and to drop 6 to 10 thousand at one time is a lot of money for some of us. If it does not work or leaves anyone with pain, horrible scars and dissatisfied, I think something needs to be done.
You are so right Lv1054! Something must be done and it is up to us to do it. We have to fight back by giving information to others considering this facial rejuvenation/procedure (actually surgery"). The only way to do that is to post of your ordeal and to warn others of the potential harm. The advertising is misleading and if no one has ever had to deal with a plastic surgeon before then they would not know what they are getting into. If you only research by using the information given on the LSL website, everything would look great. I hope people will go further and find realself and take the time to get a 2nd opinion before considering this surgery! Best, Chrystal Eckes
There is something happening LV1054... so give us a contact and you can be filled in asap. They're advertising out the ying yang and as far as I know they've just tried to pull a commercial scam on this website! They're having to try to do MAJOR damage control because all of the blood they've spilled is coming back to haunt them..... And can you imagine what the cost of their advertising budget is??? That's A LOT of blood money!
If you feel that your procedure was not something that should be done in a doctors office, you should certainly contact the NC Medical Board and file a complaint.
I throw my hands up in the air... Women, please get a 2nd opinion. This LSL and all recent "good" postings here at realself, see it for what it is. It is to up the percentage of satisfaction. Maybe Dr. Diaz is caring, I am not indicating that he is not. I am indicating that LSL will do whatever is necessary to get the bad press off of them at any cost. The 2 women that died last year from complications has all but disappeared from the web and you have to know where to look to find the info. I am indicating that this lift is not for the majority of women seeking facial rejuvenation with LSL. The numbers hold true. The dissatisfaction rate has been as low as 27%. Just take the time to get a 2nd opinion, it will same you time and money in the long run. Please listen to Dr. Prendiville and Dr. Blinkski and do your homework before you sign on the dotted line!
how is your face now? I too had a bad experience. I'm so embarrassed and ashamed to have fallen victim to their false claims of being a non invasive procedure with minimal healing time. They butchered my face. I walked in their office with a pretty face, but I had small jowls staring to show and wanted a little tightening on my neck. My face is now 2 times bigger, uneven, hard panels on both sides of my face, numb face & ears. I can't even drive any more, because the skin is so tight...I can't turn my head right or left to back the car up or see if any cars are coming. 2 weeks of work were missed and I now have a 3" skin rope around my neck. I'm forced to cover them with scarves, turtle necks, etc.
Regarding kudos for your surgeon: A complication is a complication. A Surgeon is not compassionate if he treats his patient who has had a complication, he is doing what he is supposed to do. If you have drains in your incisions at this point, you have what is known as a wound infection. This wound infection has absolutely nothing to do with a previous URI. Any suggestion that your wound complication is anything but a wound infection makes no sense. It is no surprise that a wound infection has happened to a LSL patient. LSL facilities are not accredited surgical facilities.
Tbowen3. Sorry for your issues. But you got what you paid for! You a nurse? Why did you not research the LSL? Oh yes it was the cheap fees. You stated in your first posting you should have been an in hospital operation now we see you have a change of "heart" so to speak. Makes me wonder if your expectations and the purse strings on you pocket book were doing the thinking and not your years of medical/nursing training and experience. So let's get it correct. You now are recommending the LSL and the PS or only the PS or only the LSL. Which one if any? I truly hope and wish for your speedy recovery and hope you attain a nice result. But everyone DO YOUR HOMEWORK or you do pay a price. From MIAMI DR. B
I researched the LSL PS credentials not LSL. I was concerned with the PS doing the procedure. The advertising is very misleading and I do admit it is my own fault for not requesting very exact details of my procedure. I truly thought I would be getting a "mini-lift" which requires less recovery time and smaller incisions however the procedure performed was a "traditional lift" which as you know has incision lines that run from the hairline completely around the ear and back behind the ear into the hairline. The cost of a "mini-lift" is generally cheaper than more extensive procedures so the cost wasn't what I was concerned with it was more the recovery time and invasiveness of the procedure. My complications with the extensive edema from infection (not surgery) intensified not only my pain but increased the abnormality of my features. I wasn't expecting incisions completely around my ears which as I stated felt "had been literally taken off" but as I said I should have asked for more specific details especially since I am a nurse. I recommend the PS @ this LSL office because he is a very caring MD. I do however say that the LSL advertising as well as the downplaying by the consultants of the procedures and recovery time is very misleading. I agree that I should have researched LSL more and am horrified by some of the stories I have read. The majority of complaints are against the PS as well as LSL. That's why I retracted my first posting, since I developed the infection the PS has done everything possible to help clear up the infection which was no fault of his. Once my infection clears up and the Bells Palsy resolves (which if your an MD you know is caused by a viral infection or inflammation involving Cranial nerve VII so probably caused by the same viral infection I had in my system that caused my infection which we thought was cellulitis until receiving the culture results) I think I will be happy with the work that this PS has done. So once again I am stating I recommend this PS especially after getting to know him (I have seen him every day to have my drains irrigated and gotten to know him as a person not just as someone you see briefly before having surgery). I will post my before and after pics when healed. And would like to admit that my first post was influenced by the shock of the more extensive procedure than I expected, the dire pain and edema from the infection which intensified the effects of the procedures as well as the other horror stories I had read. I am honest enough to admit when I was wrong and that is what I am doing; my judgement of the PS was inaccurate and hasty, however I should have researched LSL and ask more detailed questions and would have known the downtime plus procedure would be more than what I was expecting. Yes everyone should do their homework but don't give a good MD a bad rap because of association with LSL.
I will say this about this doctor and have said it to his face... If he is such a good plastic surgeon why in the world is he working for LSL and spending a large percentage of what he makes to the parent company? I cannot fathom why if he is so good, why would he want to possibly sully his reputation by working for a company with no moral values. This is certainly a viable question regarding his decision to work for a company that misleads patients with the non-disclosure of what is really going to happen to you. And BTW, most reputable plastic surgeons DO NOT make incisions running down the front of your ear, they are made behind the ear and the skin is not wadded up and stitched behind the ear. The abnormal looking ears is due to the way this lift is done. This particular lift was dumped in the late 60's and early 70's due to the fact that the lift just does not last. I am certainly hoping that you remain happy and heal well. Best, Chrystal Eckes.
It's been a year and a half since your procedure. You never put up before/after pics??

Please contact Jeff Wahl, Esq. He is filing a class action suit for false advertising. I, too, was told I'd only have a "small incision" in front of the ears when in fact I had an incision that started in the hairline close to 2 inches above the ear then entirely around my ear to another 2 inches in the hairline. Essentially my ears where cut off while the Doc tighten the muscles, etc. Add to that the horrible standard of care that resulkted inan emergency tel number that was not answered the night immediately after my surgery when i was in excruciating pain. Your Doc's response on rthis site to my situation was that I had a low threshold of pain - So much for bedside manner!I certainly know what you are going through. Trust me, contact Mr. Wahl - the false advertisinG and minimising of the procedure as well as downtime pushed by LSL needs to be legally addressed so that potential patients can truly make an Informed Decision before signing the ludicrous LSL "Informed Consent"

Ivy, I have a 'free consultation' at the Roseville facility in about 10 days. Which doctor did your procedure please.... I am getting really nervous about all this and am thinking about looking into other options....
Clo, even if you do go for the "free consultation", do not get overly excited and sign or give any money until you take the time to consider other options which are available to you as a consumer. This is you face you are talking about. Nothing like looking into a mirror and wondering who is staring back at you! Get a 2nd opinion from an ABCPS. Please read further into these posts. It is your face, your money and your time. Best, Chrystal
I am so sorry that this has happened to you (and many other women). Your complaints are echoed through out realself. I hope that any woman or man considering facial surgery will take the time to get a 2nd opinion from a BOARD Certified Plastic Surgeon recognized by ABFPS. Just because they boast that they do thousands of lifts a year does not mean that they are good. I do hope you find yourself on the mend soon. I wish you the best, Chrystal.
Chrystal I actually have improved greatly after daily trips back to the Huntersville office. I in fact did consult other plastic surgeons that I know prior to going to LSL. They wanted to do a "total" facelift with muscle involvement but I didn't want that. This is why I was so shocked with my incision lines and the amount of work that the PS did. I was expecting a "minilift" and got a "traditional facelift". My complications were due to an infection within my body and my immune system being already low since I had an upper respiratory infection for 2 weeks prior to surgery. The LSL MD actually rescheduled my surgery and had me on an ABT to assist with my URI. He has shown much compassion and concern since I returned the day I was in such misery. I have 3 drains to eliminate the infection and actually think I look like a person again. My ears that were lopsided look much better since the swelling and redness has went down. As for all of the advertisements and informercials I agree they are misleading about this being "simple" weekend or lunchtime procedures however if all of the PS that LSL employed in their franchise were like the Huntersville PS then people would be much more satisfied. He has treated me every day and is very caring and compassionate, he has apologized that I have went through such agony which is by the way no fault of his. I want to add I haven't been offered compensation to change my mind, I was taught to always admit when I am wrong and with my previous post I did a great injustice to a very caring MD! My healing will take much longer with all my set backs but I will post pictures of before and after when all bruising and healing is complete so everyone can make their own judgements. I have gotten to know this PS @ LSL and he is very knowledgeable as well as kind. I have met many other clients in the waiting room and most all have been pleased but all have stated how well they like the MD. It's refreshing to meet a caring MD as I work with many and rarely find them as nice and caring as Dr. D.
I am glad that you are doing better. BUT... I still say that LSL is misleading everyone that walks through their doors with sales people dressed in lab coats like they are medical professionals. Did they not ask you if you had an infection, any medical professional of any type asks this question before surgery and did they not take you temperature. You are a nurse, you know the drill. In your own words you stated the same major complaint that most LSL patients do: "the MD did more than a "simple weekend lift". I was told I would only have a small incision into my ear and at my hair line but they felt I needed lipo of my neck also so just a tiny incision would be under my chin. I now am postop 7 days; the MD literally removed my ear and tightened my neck muscles. My ears are crooked, numb and I have sutures running all the way around my ears, up the front of my hairline and approx. 3 inches in the back of my hairline." So afterwords when he reads of your complaint ONLINE he all of a sudden starts caring??? And now you endorse him??? COME ON! You would actually let another woman walk through LSL doors to be stabbed repeatedly in the face with a numbing agent, their ears cut off and recommend it. If this is what you are stating, I am stunned. You -- a medical professional! Please. If I sound astounded, that is because I am. I am sure that you were urged by Giaz to come back on line and tell everyone how he cared for you... Your infection in no way could be tied to LSL, no, it must be something else. Yea, let me know in one year, no, lets say 6 months how happy you are and if you would repeat the process again. Still -- I wish you a speedy recovery and do hope that you mend soon. Best, Chrystal Eckes.
I had a lower face lift 5 days and a brow lift a year ago by Jay Burns in Dallas TX.
he is the best and did more surgery than he charged me for.Tara on his staff comes
to my house to care for me.He was voted 9 times as the best doctor in America.I
am very pleased with his work.