Lower Blepharoplasty and Mini Neck Lift by Maxillofacial Surgeon -Huntersville, NC

I used a Maxillofacial Surgeon - I have...

I used a Maxillofacial Surgeon - I have permanent vision impairment from the lower blepharoplasty and was left with an awful neck disfigurement that required a revision surgery (performed by a different (board certified) plastic surgeon. My experience leads me to believe that when selecting a surgeon these steps should be employed:

1. Consider ONLY a board certified plastic surgeon.
2. Ask friends and family for recommendations (especially if they are in the medical field and know the reputations of local surgeons).
3. Ask your current family physician for recommendations and/or if you have chosen a surgeon, do they know anything about the surgeon.
4. Use a surgeon in your area that is specifically known for excellence in the specific procedure (i.e. blepharoplasty, face lift, breast lift, etc).
5. Ask how many he/she has performed.
6. Ask how many and what type of complications he/she has experienced.
7. Do Google searches on any surgeon you are considering. Don't forget - when your consider a surgeon such as a maxillofacial surgeon as I did - they are not governed by the Medical Board, but by the Dental Board (again, don't use a non-board certified plastic surgeon!! Don't learn the hard way as I did!!). If nothing results from the search - good - but don't stop asking and checking.
8. Interview the surgeon and make sure you feel comfortable with his/her answers, personality, office staff, procedure room if you are having it done in an in-office surgical suite.
9. Take notes, write everything down, take pictures of before and after photos on your own.
10. Remember, the consent form you sign has real complications that can and do happen - the more experienced and qualified your surgeon, the less likely you are to experience those complications. Read, ask questions, and understand the complications and evaluate if they are worth the risk for the procedure you are considering. DO NOT ACCEPT THE STATEMENT "NOTHING EVER HAPPENS", or "don't worry about that", or, "that's very rare" (those are examples of the statements my surgeon made) - the complications are listed because they can and do happen - more than you realize.
11. Ask for step by step what will happen in the surgery. Know what to expect. I didn't find out that a uretheral catheter was used until I reviewed the surgical notes - I was humiliated upon discovering this and felt embarrassed and violated - I was later told it was not even necessary based upon the amount of time the procedures took.
12. You CANNOT do too much homework and research before making a decision on your plastic surgeon - it will save you time and money in the long run and hopefully insure your happiness with your surgical results.
Good luck!
Maxiollfacial Specialty

He simply lacked the experience and ability gained only through years of training and experience of a board certified plastic surgeon. *Note - procedure cost includes both lower bleph and neck lift.

I used a board certified surgeon and he botched a canthopexy. My appearance is ruined and I will have correction in 3 months. The scar tissue on my lower eyelids is terrible and probably won't be corrected. The ectropion looks worse than before the surgery and for a month after surgery my lower lid was hanging open. Advice: use an oculoplastic surgeon for a canthopexy.
I'm perfectly agree with you, after my bad experience......
So glad your vision has improved!
I am 1 year out from my original surgery. My double vision improved over the year to currently having double vision in a peripheral range to my right. I had corrective surgery on my neck in February (by a different surgeon), it was successful. The results reflect it was corrective, so it's not perfect - but it is beautiful to me compared to what I was left with originally. I feel very lucky to be able to see (pretty) straight and wear crew neck shirts! Thanks for all the kind wishes.
I am also very sorry to hear about your bad experience. Is there anything that can be done about your vision? Things like this should not be happening. :( :(
I'm so, so sorry to hear your story and so hope that you have a happy ending.... thank you for sharing your recommendations.
I am so sorry that happened to you! You are not alone! I had a board certified facial plastics doc cause severe damage to me. How is your vision? Have you seen an oculoplastics doctor for possible repair?
My heart goes out to you. I also had surgery that went wrong, but am hopeful that it can be corrected in due time. I did research for 2 years before making a decision to have surgery. My surgeon was fond of saying "that's very rare." He was no doubt right, but as you said, complications do happen, and "rare" still means that they happen to someone.

Great advice, thanks so much for sharing.  I'm sorry your results were nothing like expected.  Are you having any sort of revision surgery?  What are your next steps?  I hope you keep us updated on your journey.

Here is some more great advice for anyone considering eyelid surgery:

9 Things I Wish I Knew Before Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)