Panniculectomy & Hernia repair....46 yr old

I had gastric bypass back in 2000. I have...

I had gastric bypass back in 2000. I have maintained a 150+ lb weight loss and now need hernia repair and a panniculectomy. Been having issues with my pannus since a hysterectomy in 2012 leaving me unable to get much physical activity in. I have platued at my current weight for over a year and would love to loose at least 70 more lbs. Hoping the panniculectomy will help me reach my next goal.

Princessnative35 I'm so happy to see you smiling... Things will get better. Remember Gods is great. How are you feeling sweetie. I just wanted to let you know I'm feeling just wonderful...
Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement and you've worked really hard to get where you are, you should be very proud.

Have you chosen a doctor, or set a date yet for the surgery?
I had been working with my local hospital and general surgeon for the hernia repair and the local cosmetic surgeon for the panni, but apparently they feel I would be better served by seeing a different specialist in St. Paul MN. I guess it ended up being more complicated then they could deal with. So I have an appt with this other specialist next week. I hope this isn't a long drawn out process to get me set for surgery.

More hoops to jump through.

I got a call yesterday from my local hospital that I am being referred to a different kind of specialist in St. Paul MN. I guess with the general surgeon and the cosmetic surgeon got together to iron out the details it ended up being a bit more complicated than they first thought. Nothing can be simple for me. Feeling a bit discouraged.

Well, I was supposed to meet with the plastic surgeon from this new group tomorrow. The office called yesterday to inform me that the receptionist scheduled me with a doctor who does not to panni's. Not sure why the hernia specialist aked to be scheduled with him...but they got me reschuled with a PS who does do Panni's. Thank goodness it is only a week out....i was panicking that it would be another month to get it. I was about to give up and just have the hernia repair done....it is causing so much pain I can't take it much longer.
Do you know what kind of specialist they're sending you too?
I was sent to a surgeon who specializes with hernia repairs. She said I did not have a complicated hernia, just that i am a complicated case since I am still a large gal, have a very large panni and have so many scars from previous surgeries. This hernia is from a previous surgical site .

I just can't get a break!

Is it just me that keeps getting all these weird scheduling and doctor issues?

sorry....I didn't mean for this to be a comment. :-(

more pics

just some more pictures with the tummy exposed to show the before. hope to get in and get a new "after" soon! :-)

Good luck having my panniculectomy on the. 23rd
Ah okay, well that makes sense, you want the best looking after you! It's a shame your appointment got pushed back a week, but it will be here before you know it.:-)

Panni surgery consult in 3days.

3 days until I meet the plastic surgeon for this new clinic. I am anxious and nervous. I would love to be 40 lbs lighter, but can't if I want insurance to cover the procedure. And that fact scares me that the surgeon won't want to do until I loose more...but I have a hernia that is killing me and it needs to be repaired now. If I don't get the panni at the same time it may make recovery harder....why fix a hernia only to have 20+ lbs of skin and fat pulling on it? Shoot, I can't even walk around the block right now because of the pain from the hernia.....I just need some help here. :(

feeling heard.

today I met with the new plastic surgeon and for the first time in over 4 years I feel like I was really listened to. I panicked a bit at first as the nurse said the dr will meet with me and IF she decides to do it pictures will be taken after for insurance. That comment sent my heart plummeting! The Dr came in and she was super nice and listened to me. Asked about sores, abcesses, rashes etc. Asked about the hernia. About my heightest known weight, and how much I have lost and kept it off for 14 yrs.

She did an exam and showed me where she will be cutting and lifted the panni and saw the one area that happened to be very irritated today (that probably helped my case) and showed me where she can visually see a hernia over the belly button. Told me she will cut up above the belly button and I will probably loose the belly button. I told her I didn't care...a lot of my infections are in the belly button. She was actually relieved and said that will make thing so much easier and help with healing. SO....i will be bellybutton less. But again, not a concern of mine.

She pretty much guarenteed I would have dog ears but that they can probably be taken care of in clinic down the road if needed. She also suspects that I might have a few other smaller hernias not picked up previously...so since she has me on the table wide open they will look and correct/fix anything they see.

I am feeling so much better now.

Glad to hear it went well

Got the call this morning

The hospital called with surgery date. The hernia specialist wants to do her part robotically to avoid having a second large incision site...so we they had to coordinate two surgeons and the robot!

Date set is a ways out...but I am fine with that...I have a date! Sept 10th.!!!!!!!

I am going to work hard at loosing about 15 lbs between now and then...the plastic surgeon said she is fine with a 10-15 lb loss but anything more than that she would want to wait till I platued a bit more. I tend to loose about 15 lbs in the summer...just because we are usually a bit busier. This year though, with the hernia I don't think I will be very active.

This also give us time because my boyfriend is facing a repair of a partially torn achielles tendon. The big problem with his case is that he only has one leg to start with ( lost a leg to cancer as a child) . So if they can get in him beginning of July this may just time out perfectly.

OMG!!!! I have a date!

Make sure you rest up, between now and Sept, so you are all healed and strong...you seem the type that wants to get up and go....Lol
I do plan on being less "busy" this summer. More for the avoidance of any illness from being around a bunch of people. I don't want to take ANY chances.
I had my hernia/panni combo surgery done June 9th 2014. I'm just about three weeks post op and would love to have someone else to talk to about this. I feel so alone in my recovery lately. . Best of luck to you! You can find me on MyFitnessPal.com username "ChasingAmyLiz".

time is moving slow!

This count down to Sept 10th is taking forever! I had a bit of a scare over the past two weeks....with an appointment for pain (I have fibromyligia) and needing some new pain meds but discussing that my lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen for over a month the Dr got very concerned. Blood work taken, urine tests done, throat swabs etc. No infection found.

I figured if there was some infection it is from the constant rashes or infections under the belly or in my belly button (again....loosing the belly button, sick of those infections!) Well, when all the tests came back with no answer...the term ultrasound with biopsy was used. Terrified me! Not only for a needle being jammed into my neck..but for the fear that something like Cancer could now be keeping me from having this hernia repair and Panni. Not after 5 yrs of trying to get a panni....this is not happening!!! Thank goodness the ultrasound looked fine and nothing suspisious found. (insert large sigh here) Now the Dr wants more blood work thinking auto immune...which I already have fibro....so I am not stressing it so much anymore. I am actually thinking of switching up my allergy meds to see if this years allergies may just be the culprit behind all this...and go from there.

Anyway...I digress, I spoke with the plastic surgeons office today. I called to make sure i schedule any appts (pre and post op) and was told none to be made. She won't be marking me up prior only because they are doing the hernia repair first. I am good with that...as she already generally showed me where she will be cutting. At this really is a straght panniculetomy...no lipo or anything. The surgery scheduler assured me everything is all set for Sept 10 and post op appt will be made before I leave the hospital since I am going to be admitted.

It was nice to hear her say those words again...everything is all set up. Sept 10th can'tget here fast enough!

Hi , I am a 40 yr old mom of three.. on July 15 I had a panni and ventral hernia repair surgery. My doctor is the best guy ever. He did both surgeries. I was in hospital for 4 days. Was rough getting around and still is a bit. My incision feels almost like its burning when I get up after sleeping or resting and I am very sore still. I have three drains in still,one which tomorrow will be removed. My doctor has txt me numerous times just to see how I was doing which I think is so nice,this is def a first! I just want to feel good tho soon..so sore!

5 more weeks!

OK...5 more weeks to go and I can not say this enough...time is going so slow! I am trying to keep busy...but when I don't work outside of the house, keeping busy is still limited. I have a little hand- made beaded jewelry and repurposed items business I have been trying to get going...and I have my first craft show this coming week-end. That has helped me in the past week with inventory and pricing etc. I am gratelful for the newest pain meds and muscle relaxers I was given..the hernia only minimally bothers me now. Biggest problem is the anti-inflammitory is causing major gas and nausea/vomiting. And I am not loosing the 15 lbs I wanted to before surgery. I think I need to go ahead and stop taking this anti-inflamitory! I have just 5 weeks to loose this 15 lbs. I can do it! I can do it! I can do it! Lots and lots of water and lean meats, fruits and veggies. Any other advice from those of you who have had surgery....what do I need to have prior to surgery. I have been thinking about clothes to wear home....most of my loose fitting comfy pants probably will fall right off without the "tire" to hold them up. I have a pair of yoga pants that might work..but those tend to "cling" and I am guess clinging clothes will be extremely uncomfy? I have a sundress..but it is white...that kinda frightens me it will get blood or something on it. LOL We have an electric reclining chair I will prob be doing my sleeping in for a few days. I am a tummy sleeper, so the idea of not being able to sleep on my tummy for a while is kinda freaking me out! Any advice for stuff I will need is appreciated.

I am glad I found this site. I am going for my surgery around the third week of sept,, very nervous
Glad you found the site. I know it has helped me quite tremendously. You and I have surgery pretty close to each other. I am extremely excited, but nervous too. I am nervous about the pain and recovery, but I know it is only a temporary situation to a life of less pain (back, knees and hips) no more infections, and a better over all quality of life. Not to mention how much easier it will be for me to move and exercise to loose the remaining weight I want to loose.
Mdeb, have you had other abdominal surgeries at all? I had a robot assisted hysterectomy in Nov 2012, gastroplasty (which opened me from belly button up to breast bone) and gallbladder removeal (open incision just under rib cage) along with a laproscopic abdominal surgery for entometrosis back in 2007. I know this time with the being cut from hip bone to hip bone the pain will be different, but I am hoping that will all my previous surgeries I can do this with out much more pain levels than before. I hope you get to feeling better soon. By any chance did you have vacuum sutures? I think that is what they were called and my surgeon wants to use those with me.

3 weeks to go

Yesterday I had an appointment at the Hospital Wound Care clinic. I was asked to come in to make sure all rashes, infections on the underside of the belly and in the belly button are cleared up. Ironically that on the day I have to go in to have them looked at, that all rashes and infections are non existing. Thank goodness I have had taken pictures to document some of the infections over the past few months. I was very pleased to hear that both specialists thought my skin under the belly was beautiful and will heal nicely after surgery. I was given some antimicrobial material to keep in my belly fold between now and the surgery and a special cleanser to use in the belly button daily with a special material I have to put in (kinda like a stick) to keep infections away and keep the skin in there dry and hostile towards germs. LOL I have been instructed to just relax, sit back and take it very easy for the next three weeks prior to surgery.

I'm having mine Oct 6th and can't stop looking up pics wondering what its going to be like keep us updated
I know...I do that too. I have always been a big girl..even in High school at 5'8" I weighed 220 most of the time. I was extremely active and athletic. I was up to 235 at graduation. I got to over 500 lbs at one point. Now weighing 339 I still have a long ways to go...but this belly and I am guessing the pain from the hernia keeps me from doing much at all. I know afterward I will be so much more mobile and feel so much better...especially with the hernia fixed and the weight of the panni off of my back. I will lay in bed and push my skin/belly down where my surgeon is making the cut off (above the belly button) and look down and think...wow....I can't believe it until I see it. LOL

two weeks and counting

well, one week of not doing much of anything other than sitting around and not working out. I am still doing housework...which helps pass the ti.me pass a little bit. I had my pre-op two days ago and was cleared for surgery. I was given an EKG since between the hernia and the panni it is a long time under anesthesia. The cardiologist found what they call an incomplete right bundle branch block and pulled the records from an EKG two years ago and have determined it is new. So tomorrow I have to go for an echocardiogram. At first I was extremely freaked that this was dangerous and would keep me from surgery. My physicians has assured me it is minor and I am still cleared for surgery. The echocardiogram is mainly precautionary and to find an possible reason for the change. I was literally in tears for about an hour thinking after all this I was going to be denied surgery. On the good news side...I have dropped 6 lbs and am happy I am getting closer to the "new me"

Congrats on your weight loss...counting days to have surgery, seens like the clock isnt moving. Well, im all ready, i did my pre op on august 18th...ive done all my shopping just need little items here and there and my grocery and cook myself high protein chicken soup w/veggies. I really having problems finding my protien drinks. Ive even
Thank you! Still have lots to go...but will be able to move and exercise so much easier now. I love cottage cheese and yogurt...so I got some more today along with some frozen chicken breasts so I will have plenty of protein too. My PS said to eat plenty of protein before and after surgery for best healing.
Good Luck my surgery is October 15th it will be panniculectomy and if they find prior mesh and source of open wounds and infections for two years they will send in another scheduled surgeon to remove and repair a incarnated hernia. I will be back to follow you.

One week!!!!

It is getting closer! I went today and got supplies for the hospital stay ( face and body wipes, new slippers, travel size tooth paste). Got baby spinach, cottage cheese, yogurt, blueberries, protein bars, and individually frozen chicken breasts for protein packed meals for the next week. Not to mention I still want to loose 9 more lbs!!!! My lack of activity really has made weight loss hard! AND these insta dry sheets of material under my belly are starting to irritate me. I better not get any rashes from the irritation. Thinking I should start taking Benadryl so the irritating of them might lesson? It is hard to explain....almost like my panties have rolled down and under the belly kinda feeling. My echocardiogram came back normal, so that stress is gone :-). To think that at this time next Weds I will be done and on the road to recovery! Woot woot!!!!

Wishing you the best of luck
Thank you!
I have Dr. Cherrie Heinrich and I love her! She did a breast reduction on me in December 2013 and I am now scheduled October 21st to have a panni with a wound vac! Super nervous but also excited!!

question about post op personal care

OK...so I just realized that I won't be able to bathe and probably wont be able to shower for a bit after surgery. While I can pick up some dry shampoo...that stuff really only works for one day on me. My hair is so thick and long and gets greasy very quickly. Any suggestions?

I shower the next day and was encouraged to do so talk with your doc
I had read you are not supposed to shower until drains are removed...and I am going to have the suture vac for at least 48 hours. I will just make sure to have some dry shampoo available...and lots of hair binders to keep my hair up in a pony tail. LOL Thanks AEH81

wow..I am again truly amazed by the hospital and surgeons I was referred to!

So my boyfriend and I are sitting here chatting watching tv when the Fed Ex truck pulls up. We both look at each other like "who is that for?". I received a package with a note from the hospital and the wound care dept along with a note from the hernia surgeon. She send out a case of Impact Advanced Recovery Nutritional drink. I am to drink 3 a day for the next 5 days and adjust any other daily meals to make sure I get these. Again, I am very impressed by this team of care givers and medical professionals I am working with. Feeling very blessed today.

You should be able to shower the day you get your wound vac off. Not sure about showering with drains because I didn't have drains with my panniculectomy. Your PS should let you know. I actually took a shower with my wound vac on. I'm bad I know, but I have to shower every day. I wrapped a towel around me then cut a trash bag at the bottom seam, the kind with the draw string and tied that above my chest. I was in the hospital for 3 days. When I got home on the 4th day is when I took my quick shower. I couldn't stand being uggg and in pain. Again, always follow the advice of your PS. I didn't look pretty but I felt clean :))
We'll, I have no problem with sponge bathing until I can shower....just don't have a way of sponge bathing my head of hair....lol. I will just wait and see. Thanks for your response!
You're welcome! I have a big head if hair, too. That's why I used the trash bag. I had my vac on for 8 days. I couldn't go 8 days without showering. No good...

4 days and a wake up to go!

Getting very excited for Weds. I took a couple pictures to compare to the past ones...8 lbs lighter but the only difference I see in the pictures is that the gut seems to be hanging just a little bit lower now. I also got some pictures of the belly as I am laying down...so I can compare the after. You can see in the pictures the belly button is packed and the material in under the belly fold. As far as I know I will not be getting marked up the morning of surgery because the Hernia specialist is doing the hernia repair first then Dr Heinrich will do the panni.

We'll girlfriend our day is getting closer... Just counting the hours... Received a call from ps today we talked for while going over the medical history. I will be having a hernia repair and then the Abdominalplasty/TT/panniculectomy... We're having the same thing done!! How about that... I promise I'll have you in my prayers before we go in to surgery I scheduled at 7:00 am. Would about you??? So, excited can't wait to see results...
i couldn't sleep much last night. My mind was going a 1000 mph with things I have to get done today. I got up early this morning hoping to just relax for a bit before i start laundry and going through my checklist for stuff for the hosptial etc. I believe my surg time it 7:30. I am waiting on the hospital to call with check in details and all the preregistration questions. I will also be keeping you in my prayers. It is so nice to have found this group and all these wonderful women for support.
Just wanted to say good luck with your surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Wishing you pain free fantastic results. All the best and can't wait to see the new you. My turn is oct 10. Good luck and thank you for such helpful information.

1 day!

Didn't sleep much last night. I am bloated and a bit uncomfy from these nutritional shakes but I am following Dr's orders. Tonight I get to also drink a Clearfast and one tomorrow morning when I wake. It will help with hunger pains in the morning (along with the medical benefits), but at the same time it kinda makes me nervous as all my life with surgery and procedures they tell you not to eat or drink after midnight. Again...going to follow Drs orders and I know it will be fine. :-)

You will do great!!! Good luck!!
Thank you! I am very excited.
Have you in my prayers you will be just fine. .....

It's Here!

I have been up...after about an hours sleep! Showered and drinking my carb water I was told to drink. YUCK! Though I have had to drink worse....so I won't complain. I was nervous and a bit emotional yesterday, but this morning I woke up ready to do this! I will try to get on and update later today.

Best of luck to you! You're in my prayers. Praying for a comfortable complication free recovery.!!! You will feel and look amazing!
Good luck honey!!!
Thinking about you today good luck

Post surg

Hurting big time...guessing more from hernia reair. Beendosing in and out. Will better update when feeling better. Hugs to all

speed recovery !!!!
My prayers go up for a speedy and smoothe recovery. ..
Thank God You okay... now starts the healing and recovery i wish you and smooth one... well i had my hernia repair, abdominalplasty and pannulectomy and it really smooth i even cant believe it. No pain , just discomfort. My doctor was awesome... can see alraedy the beautiful out come no more tummy...

Had some complications

The hernia actually attached itself tomy small intestines..yesterday's pain levels were off the chart. My blood pressure kept dropping and my hemogglobins too . Got 2units of blood. Still very out of it today.

Princess native35- I hope girlfriend your doing better. I have you and all girls having a or had surgery in my prayers. Just have to let you now my TT, hernia repair, panniculectomy went very well. From a scales 1 to 10 I will say my pain is two as long as I don't move or anybody make me laugh. I do feel some pain and pressure at belly button. Eating well and lots liquids just can't use the restroom yet... Hopefully soon and it will be and relief...stay strong, don't think about the pain try to walk, and breathing for the lungs... Let's pray together our healing and recovery continue smoothly... I'll be going off pain meds today per doctors order NOMoRE than twenty four hours... Pray....
Getting more blood today, my hemoglobin are not staying up. Having the cath removed today too.
Wishing you a better today

Puctures

Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday. It's nice to sit in a chair without my belly roll over the edge of the chair.

Hang in there. It only get better from here! What a difference already! Happy healing!
You look great!!!
Wow what a difference already! Hope you are feeling better

Swelling

Ok....this morning I am up16lbs from surgery date. Dr Heinrich removed 18 lbs of pants. Meaning I am 33 lbs swollen? That seems a lot. Plastics was already I before they(the nurse) weighed me (on the bed). My nurse said no to go by that scale since my home scale is what I use.... Just curious if that much weight is typical. It seems a lot. Pain is manageable,my upper shoulders seem to be the worse, from using the walker I am guessing. Thank you all for all your encouragement and kind words

Friends this binder is killing me... need swelling to come down..
My binder is also very irritating. Makes my skin itch like crazy. Woke this morning and feel like a blow fish all puffed up....my arms can't even rest down on the chairs arm rest cuz I am so puffy. I can't blame this on eating chips or drinking soda last night!
Thats awesome what they took from you... i doctor took 27.9lbs cant wait to see results...

So upset!

Today I sent who I thought was my best friend an email that I would probably be released tomorrow. I have explained to her numerous times that I was getting rashes, infections, abscesses on my tummy and in the skin folds. That I was not having this surgery for cosmetic reasons. (Not that there is anything wrong for doing so! I fully understand that aspect of it too). She didn't ask about the complications that came up , only that she hopes I get the results I am looking for. Nothing about a hernia repair, nothing about , here's to no more infections. Just worried about the physical look outcome. Maybe I am over reacting? I have been extremely emotional today :-/
So, it looks like tomorrow is release day and I can't wait to get home. It will be kinda nice not being disturbed every hour for blood pressure etc! Lol

I hope everything continues to go well for you. I know it will with pray and God's blessings. I am nervous and confused at this time. I am scheduled to have a panni on October 6, 2014. I thought I was going to have a tummy tuck to help decrease chronic back pain due to a spinal cord disease called OPLL and also to decrease infections under my belly and side folds. When I spoke with Dr. Pan's nurse she only seemed to say the only concern was the infections. I scared that I going to be left with the pain and still unable to stand up straight or walk upright. I am so upset it seems like Dr. Pan has not taken what my orthopedic surgeon Dr. Yue or pain management Dr. Marianne want to have as results from this surgery. What should I do? I don' want to aggravate Dr. Pan with a lot of questions but I wish she would consult with my other doctors. Someone is willing to pay for additional work. Please help me think of what to do.
I am sorry....I am having a hard time following what you are tryind to ask. I an sill rather groggy from pain meds
Ok....I am more awake and alert now. If you are discussing a TT for insurances purposes the surgeon will know what they can get approved. Most insurances will only cover a Panni not TT. My hernia Syrian and PS worked together because they work in the same hospital with each other. A removal of a large panni will prob still make a huge difference in your back pain. Good luck

Home

Rough home coming only because my one drain is leaking slightly at the skin line. It has been redressed and we were sent home with more material/ tape stuff. I couldn't find it, my boyfriend continued to ask what I was looking for and I yelled at him in frustration, I felt so bad. I couldn't tell him what I was looking for cuz I didn't know the name of it. Got all calmed down, found it and used more to try and seal the tube. The binder is giving me this burning feeling on tummy, and the incisions are burning a bit too. All in all first day home not to horrible. I am still here and looking forward to what life has to bring me.

It's ok. I'm still having days like that. You had a huge operation. Stress is a an all time high the first day home after what your body, mind and spirit have been through. You have major, controlled, trama to your body. Remember to breathe. Be kind to yourself for those moments you're not quite yourself. Pray and know there are many of us here that totally understand. Huggs n speedy healing :)

Drains

these drains are driving me crazy, the leak constantly. i have only been home 3 days and went through all the gauze and film the hospital sent home with me. my boyfriend went and purchased a box of gauze and 8 more films yesterday. as of this morning i have used over half those films. i have blood stains all over my bedroom floor and slippers and bed sheets. though i hve been sleeping in alarge leather side chair.....its the only chair i have big enough that my thighs dont rub on it. thus no pressure on the drains. my back is killong me. i could deal with the pain in/on the tummy for the most part. but the back....there's no way. i have my first post op today...i am hoping they remove the one drain that has been putting out only 15 ml every 6-8 + hours. the other one was pretty consistant at 30ml still....tho overnight it put out 100 :-(

Pictures from today

Not very good pictures, but this is the best I could do today.

Can't see the new pictures but I hope you feel better and the drain can come out
I know ..... I don't know why they wouldn't post. I am feeling pretty good until I am up and about for a few hours. No drains removed today.....but the PA and nurse came up with an idea to try to keep the drains oozing so much down my legs.... Hopefully this will work.

not sure how to title this one.

so...this is rather personal (not that we haven't discussed personal things on here...LOL) but I am finding something that is very bothersome and kinda embarrassing. My drains are attached to the upper outter theighs and I pin them up to a tank top at my waist line. My incisions all look pretty darn good. They are seaping slightly, but nothing horrible and I keep it all nice and dry. Only thing out of the norm I can really see is that at the end of the flank part of the incision on my right it is blistered pretty good. Just one large blister. It isn't read around it from what I can see. No redness from around the drain holes...so it all seems to be fine...except this one factor. It just STINKS! The best way to describe it is that is smells like what my periods used to smell like. I am guessing I am just super sensative to the smell...cuz back befor I had my hysterectomy i would complain all the time of the smell then but my sisters/friends or even boyfriend said I was just crazy. Am I? Does anybody else have this issue?

On another note...I keep trying to download pictures from my Ipad but they wont work. I will try and take some from my actual camera later today to post. Hope you all have a beaufitufl day.

I hope your feeling better today You still must be so happy with the outcome. Thinking about you and wishing for each day to be better

Swelling is outta control!

Even my feet are 3 times there normal size. Take a nap and go for a walk....that will help. Is everybody else exhausted after getting cleaned up and changing the dressings ( on the drains) everyday? I hope these pictures come through (it looks like they are only going up sideways,)

That's how swollen I am especially abdomen and if I don't put garment in it's really bad I am almost 3 months out
Are your legs and feet too? I am actually more comply with the binder because when I get my coughing fits, having the binder helps support the hernia as I cough
**** comfy with the binder

When it rains

Woke this morning and went to the bathroom to empty the bladder and my drains and discovered my incision was dripping/ bleeding a bit. Walk back to the bathroom to change out the abdominal pads and it was as if the flog gates opened! Blood running down my legs and dripping all over the carpet. All the surgical strips have for the most part galled off, even the ones replaces just on Friday. I have had pads taped over it instead and seemed to be doing fine til this morning. In general the incision looks good....but you can see how irritated the skin is from all the tape :-(. I must get up to pee again, and I am afraid to...lol

Omg

How did my post post twice?

You should call your doctor or send over pictures via text, email, etc. Just to be on the safe side... Just to get advice how to take care of this problem. I had tape just rubbing on the end of my inciscion and brought it to nurse and doctor attention in prior appt to please cut off, no it's okay! Won't hurt, or cause infection. So, now I have blisters on each end close to inciscion. Doctor recommended polysporin with gauze and today it looked better... Well you care care and get that checked out. Sometimes it's better to take precautions, than later be sorry... Have you in my prayers for quick and safe healing and recovery friend...
are you sure that you shouldn't go get it checked to be sure the stitches haven't come out? Maybe your not draining enough and the swelling is pulling the incision open. TAKE care and I hope that you feel better soon
I have a call into the plastic surgeons office. I am keeping padding/tissue on it. The steristiches have all come off, and I was told that's not uncommon. I will wait to see what the ps office says

im back in the hosp.

infection and a issue with fluid build up in my tummy. so i sit and wait for my turn to go back under the knife. my right sided drain pulled out yesterday, so they will also replace that.

I hope all is better once that drain is back in the pressure relief should feel good get better!!
Oh that's awful I hope it's a super easy fix. Keep us posted Wishing you all the best :))))
Hello girlfriend!! I'm sadden to hear your back in the hospital, :(( but your in a better place being cared for by experienced medical staff. Yes, it's best thing you did go in early and get token cared of. How could you tell you accumulating water, or sermon in the tummy area??? Please, keep us in the loop. I have you in my prayers for rapid smooth healing and recovery. You'll feel a lot better later today...

Lucked out.

Just went to ultrasound and they numbed the belly to insert a tube to withdraw a bunch of fluid and added another J Tube drain. We shall see how the infection does and go from here

I've had the same problems with leaking a lot. It stopped once she removed the drainage tube from that side. My doctor said it came from the drainage being clogged. My newest problem is my belly button. Its just a deep hole that now leaks and smells. I will have to call the doctor back to tell her it's not drying out. My surgery date was 9/15/14
I'm praying for you and remember this too shall pass you will be just fine. ...
Thank you.

New suture vac

Had a new suture vac installed/placed today to help with the constant large amounts of leakage I was having. I will be staying inpatient for a while, if not here in wound care than they are transferring me to transitional care. Hopefully soon I will be back to taking short walks and getting a bit more energy

I pray for you,, when I had my hernia surgery in 2007 I had major leakage ,I had to put a maxi pad on it,so dr put a drain in me,a week later after when it was removed is when I was home chilling and it just burst open and I lost Six pints of blood and almost died because the dr actually nicked my artery so my leakage was actually not a hematoma or seroma but actually I was bleeding internally. I don't wish that situation that I went thru on my worst enemy. I hope you recover soon and get this under control.
Oh no! Did they not do a CAT scan or Ultrasound? I feel a bit relieved that I will be staying in Transitional Care for a bit. I know my boyfriend physically can't keep up like he was before on the normal days....when the massive leaking started it was so much harder on him .
Oh my gosh that's horrible

Sent home again

So, since I am mobile enough with a walker transitional care turned me down. I guess it doesn't matter if your caregiver is physically handicapped and can only do so much. An order for home care was put in, so we shall see how they can help. Not sure what kind of time/days a week. It is nice to be home....in my own bed, chairs, couch. So I have the one original left side drain from surgery and the one put in by ultra sound also on left side of belly. Then they reinstalled a vacuum suture also coming off the left side of the belly. This one is totally different than the one I had originally during surgery.

Happi to your home were you wanted to be. I have you in my prayer friend. Slowly be in the name God you will heal smoothly... Don't push yourself at doing things. Your healing and recovery are very important. Well I broke out with a rash in belly button area stopped using polysporin on Saturday for that reason, today seen by dr he says not infectin it's an rash to keep dry, that I'm very sensative. Does not want me to apply on my insicion anymore. Well I wish you an good night... Hope feel better...in my prayers and thoughts :))
Glad you are going better

no transitional care, waiting on home health care to contact me.

had to go back to the wound care clinic today and they removed the suture vac and put a new one on. it keeps going off saying there is a leak and i had found it earlier and put some clear sticky film on it. It seems to get irritated by having the binder on.....so I might just have to remove the binder until later. I will see how it behaves the rest of the night. i know all the drains are an essencial aspect of recovery with this surgery, but i am getting very tired of them! ;-)

I hope that you are doing well, and the drains come out soon (if not already). I just started following your story as I am getting ready to have my 1st consult, and I have a lot of tummy left, but have lost 190ish pounds (over 1/2 my body weight), so I am hopeful.
Still praying for you. Hope you are better today than yesterday and and have an even better tomorrow!
Hope your dong better how are you healing now

Had appt to check seroma

Was supposed to have an outpatient procedure in radiology to check the seroma and it turned into inpatient surgery that afternoon because my incision got to infected. They surgically cleaned out a bunch of puss, bad tissue and basically gave me an open wound vac. Go back to surgery Monday morning to clean out more and change the dressings. And surgery again prob on Weds for another cleaning changing. Hopefully after that they can be done bedside and not in surgery. The goodness..... No drains, just the wound vac machine. 3rd trip back to hosp since initial surg they finally put in a pic line so I don't have to be constantly stabbed for IV lines and blood draws. I have been ensured numerous times by many different Drs/surgeons that this is nothing I did or was done wrong with previous care ...it happens in like 2 out of 100 patients. I am so great full for the wound care nurse (who was actually off duty yesterday) who came to help with dressing change and right then and there said no.. You are not going home, and she went and got the surgeon on duty.

Sorry to hear your not doing well. Keep positive and have faith is number 1 rule. Your in good hands. In my prayers ...
Often
You're welcome. How are you doing? I think of you offer. Huggs

In transitional care

Yesterday I was released from the hospital and I am now in transitional care at a care facility a lot closer to home. I am hoping this isn't for too long, even though the healing of this open wound is going to take months. It would be nice if maybe after just a couple of weeks the woun d is healing enough that I can go home with having a home health nurse coming out a few times a week to pack/repack clean things out.

Friday was my first wound check/repacking while awake. It was really quite gross! I had my pain pils before hand and ironically things didn't hurt so much as the feeling of the hands in my wound/belly pulling out old foam, cleaning and rinsing out the wound. Pictures were taken and the wound care nurse showed me a couple and I couldn't take it. It really is just a large pink tissue opening on my abdomen. Again....the feeling when they were cleaning it out was just undescribable. My next change should be Tuesday here at the care facility.
It is kinda nice to be able to get up and walk and go without having to inform nurses of what I am doing. Walking down to the dining room is nice too....a bit of socialization vs being stuck in a hospital room.
I have been asked if I am mad at how things have happened. While I can't say I am thrilled, I am not mad. I was informed of the complications that can happen from surgery. I am disappointed in the break down of communication from the first time I was home and supposed to have a home nurse coming out. I am dissapointed it will take me at least 6 months for this wound to heal...but in general....I am alive. I had one serious scare after initial surgery and a few more disappointments with the infection and all since, but I am alive. I have wondered why me....but why waste my energy on that? I need to get healthy and heal. I need to forgive and move on. It was not any one persons fault this happened. Sometimes things happen. I will still be extremely hesitant to go home, when it is time, with home nursing care...only because the first time it failed the infection happened. I will get through this. I will conquer yet another hurdle put in front of me. I can and will do this!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

wound change (again) with no warning!

While I can't complain that the wound changing isn't getting done, I can complain that they have changed out the wound packing and all 3 times already since being here, and with each time I am told after lunch that they are going to do it. I need time to mentally prepare for this! This is extremely gross and weird feeling to have peoples hands pulling out foam, washing out the wound and shoving more foam back in this wound. It is so gross I get very nauseated at times during the procedure. All I am asking for is more than an hours notice. That is barely enough time for the pain pills to kick in. This is also a different nurse doing it...so how can she compare how it looks now vs last time? She can't. I guess I shouldn't complain though....because they are on top of making sure the changes are done.

nativeprincess35 = hello Princess I hope your doing well and hanging I there. im always pray for your healing and well being. its coming soon hun! happy week end.

New pictures

I decided to take a couple quick snap shots of how the belly now looks. My nurses have told me the upside down shelf look will get better, it is currently that bad because of all the foam packed in there. I suppose I should try to take a picture laying down so you can see the wound vac and packing.....maybe tomorrow.

mana..they didn't post! I will have to wait til tomorrow to try and transfer them to my computer
I'm still praying for you and believe the worst is behind you.....
thank you!

OK....try again with the pictures

I got them uploaded to my computer and took a couple of the actual open wound packed showing how much foam is packed in there...making that "upside down shelf" I had to call the nurse to my room to help get myself put back together cuz between the tube from the wound vac and my binder I get all bamboozeled on where to put the tubing with the binder. LOL

I'm so sorry your going through this. You still look amazing and you will get stronger and better each day. You are an inspiration to us all. You have shown us that there is always tomorrow and we are strong enough to battle these little wars. I'm praying that you get better and stronger each hour. You will get stronger and then this to will be just a memory of the past. Good luck and keep smiling your beautiful when you do. :)))
Thank you.
Dr Cherrie Heinrich

Dr Heinrich is actually out of St Paul MN. Her and her staff are all beyond what words can describe. She is professional, kind, explains things well. Her staff have all been super nice and helpful. They make you feel welcome and at ease. Being a larger gal still, I was worried about being judged still about the weight but I saw no signs of that from anybody! My post op appointment the PA and Nurse were just all out there and fun to deal with and just made me laugh. Even my boyfriend has said over and over how impressed he is with Dr Heinrich and all her studens/PA's she had with her in the hospital. When things got very scarey in the hospital the day after surgery they were on top of it and did everything they could to get me out of danger. Again, my boyfriend was impressed with how well they handled it. They have given me a new and better chance at a longer and better quality of life. LOVE LOVE LOVE them, Dr Heinrich is TOPS!!! I have not had to deal with billing so I didn't rank.