First Time Botox User - Houston, TX

I've dealt with teenagers since 2002 - hence the...

I've dealt with teenagers since 2002 - hence the angry look. Haha, just kidding! :) In all seriousness, I started noticing my 11's ten years ago. The last few years they seemed to have really set in though and I have done a little research on Botox in the past but swore that I would never have any "work" done. I would just grow old gracefully. My mom says "I've worked hard for this face and plan on keeping it"- well I tried that and I guess I am more vain than she is because I really want those lines gone! They age me and make me look like I am mad all the time, when the truth couldn't be further from that. I have worn bangs for a very long time and use them to help camo the lines.

My youngest daughter had a Fraxel Laser treatment a few years ago, and the provider was great, so I called them to make the appointment. They are a dermatologist office and not a med spa place. They took a few photos of my face prior to the procedure (scariest part of the visit! LOL.) She came in and told me about the procedure and risks. I was really nervous about doing it after reading all of the reviews here on RealSelf so she said we would go conservative and use 20 units and then evaluate the results. The actual procedure only took about a minute and it didn't hurt a bit (I've been through laser tattoo removal and after that a mere single needle stick at a time doesn't bother me.) It's been about 3 hours since the treatment and I have a slight headache. No other noticeable symptoms. I can't see the injection sites and as of now no bruising.

I'm uploading photos pre-treatment and 5 minutes after treatment. I will update the review in a week to see how it turns out!

Three Days after treatment

Here are a few photos 3 days after treatment. The lines are a little softer. I hope will get more smooth over the next week and a half (they say 14 days should be full effect.) In hindsight, I should have done a scrunchy pre treatment photo (BTW does anyone else thinks it funny to make the scrunchy face? I laughed every time I tried - even at the docs office! :))

1 Week post treatment

Lines a little softer and harder to make the scrunchy face, but still not completely smooth. I am going to wait until next Monday to see if there are any other changes the second week. I may just wait it out 3 months and have her use a few more units next time (she did say that it may take a few regular treatments because the lines were so deep.) I'll just see how it goes... The lines are much better than they were so waiting 3-4 months wouldn't be out of the question.

2 Months out

My 11's are already getting stronger again. I am not sure if I want to go back or not even though I hate the 11's. Not being able to move my inner eyebrows was really weird...and I have to wonder about the other muscles around my eyes/forehead that are compensating. Are they going to get really strong and then start causing other lines to form elsewhere?
Susan Bruce & Associates

April Harrison provided the treatment. She was awesome!

With any new drug it's best to start low and go slow. Assessing your response before going full throttle was smart. Some people love that glass-like look. It's not for everyone. Gradual increase in units will allow for more subtle results over timeā€¦people will think you got a new haircut or lost weight.
Two months is pretty fast, I wonder if they didn't inject enough botox in the first place.  It is always better to be under-injected versus over-injected, then you know next time to get a little more.  Do you think you will go back to the same doctor, if you decide to do it again, or find a new one?
I will go back to the same provider without hesitation if I decide to go back. They are very knowledgeable and professional. Not a little hole in the wall med spa or anything. They provide medical and cosmetic dermatology services and they also have a division that handles research. I recommend them to anyone in the Houston area. They handled my daughters fraxel laser treatment in an excellent manner and she was only 13 / 14 at the time. I am still considering going back for a second round... it still makes me a tad nervous. :)
Yeah I understand about being nervous to do it again.  Glad you like your doctor's office, that is a huge part of getting good results.  I'm sure should you decide to try it again they will offer some good advice to get longer results next time.  There are two other products that work like botox, called dysport and xeomin.  You can read about them on RealSelf.  Some people have better results with them (and some people have better results with botox).  Whatever you decide to do, keep us in the loop!
ask for your money back, plain and simple... who ever that doctor was, and i hope you didnt let some nurse do injections to your face, either-way...ask for your money back or have them corrected. evidently , who ever did this, didnt do the injections probably....after 10 days, you should never ever be able to crunch your eyebrows like that, they should move at all period!!!
I asked her to go lightly with the units she used because I was nervous. She told me I would need more because I have very strong muscles and to go back if I felt comfortable with getting more. Not her fault. She did a great job as far as I am concerned and just followed my requests. I opted to wait it out and not go back for an adjustment.
I would like to add that it was my first time out and I was ok with less than 100% smoothness while I evaluated how Botox works and how it would make my face feel.
Yeah that's understandable......but in my opinion, you shouldn't able to move your forehead the way u do after 10 days.
From what I understand you are correct... if I go back I will need at least 25 units if not more.
i takes around a week to get the full effect. botox will wear off in around 3 months. if you're frown lines aren't gone in around a week, it means you also need a dermal filler like juvaderm to iron out the static folds. doing botox again and again won't help. you need both products. i know because i've been there.

I've read it can take on average 14 days to see results. It's super interesting to see your updates. Thank you!

I'm surprised you can still move your face so much after a week, but at least your elevens look much smaller now.  It definitely can take a few visits before you figure out the perfect amount of units.  Always better to start with less and try a little more each time versus overdoing it and being stuck with a frozen face (or side effects like eyebrow drooping).  Keep us posted as to whether you decide to get a little more this go around or if you opt to wait.  I think you look great!

Exactly, something is not right with procedure. She shouldn't be able to move her forehead at all, especially not after 10 days..... btw proper botox should actually last 6 months or longer, not 3 months!!!
Did you read the reply she already send you? She didn't want the effect you're talking about. It was her decision.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

What location on the face did you have botox injected? Thx
I read your review - one of the ones that made me very nervous! Did you have it injected for forehead lines as compared to the 11's?
I was only there to be treated for forehead lines as I didn't have 11's. This injector talked me into my glabella area, saying it would "lift" and "open" my eyes. I had a total of 21 units in all between the forehead and glabella. I had been treated for 2 years for the forehead lines with beautiful results and no side effects.
Thanks for taking the time to read. I hope it was helpful in some way! I had injections for my forehead wrinkles and in my glabella - just 21 total. I was told this is a fairly small dose, but it seeped into my eye muscles. It's still completely shocking to me after 18 months.
ExposeBotoxSideEffects, Thank you for replying. I read your profile and looked at your pics. When this happened to you was it the first time you had the glabella injected? Did you use a new injector when this happened? How many units would you normally have injected to treat only the forehead and not the glabella? From the research you'd done could this have happened from only treating the forehead? Thx
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Exposebotoxsideeffects, The world needs more people like you. Someone who genuine cares about others. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It is funny. I think it's funny even to take selfies, but I think it's my age. Your 11s are looking great for 3 days! I'm shocked you can still scrunch that much post botox. Time will tell. Thanks for your amazing documentation. We'll see on your next update how it's working. Happy Holidays!

Alicia, I don't understand the purpose of realself if when I ask a question you ask that it not be answered.

Quick question, on the second pic are you scrunching?