Time to Leave my Comfort Zone and Step out on Faith - Houston, TX

Hello everyone, finally I had time to do my review...

Hello everyone, finally I had time to do my review. My name is Stephanie and I am 43 years old and I reside in Texas. Probably for the last 17 years I have struggled with my weight, I had the norplant put in and gained 67 pounds in no time with it. I had it removed a year later but the weight stayed around and some more pounds came later.

I have tried numerous diets along the way, lose a few then gain back later. Even though I have been over weight for some time now, I would not look at it as if I was that big but time has caught up with me. In 2010 I spoke with my doctor about surgery, he wrote my letter for insurance but I changed my mind and decided I did not want to take the risk. In August 2011, the scale said 297 lbs at the doctor's office, I literally started to cry saying i was not going to weigh 300 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers the next week and went for a whole year. I lost 40 pounds. I eventually got bored and stopped going. The 40 pounds stayed off for awhile but the last few months started creeping back on so I am almost back to where I started. The good thing is that I went to wieght watchers for 14 months and I was able to use the 12 months documentation for my surgery requirements and it was withing in two years so I had to work fast on getting in to see a bariatric surgeon to start the process. I researched the different surgeries and decided I would consider the gastric sleeve. I had my first consult on September 19, 2013 and Dr. Davis suggested that I have the bypass surgery instead because the sleeve was still new and he did not want me to come back five years later and ask him why didn't he suggest the bypass. Dr. Davis told me the ultimate decision was mine. When I left there I thought about changing to the bypass for about a week. After finding Realself and reading everyone's experience I decided I was going to stick with the sleeve due some arthritis issues in my knee. I hope I have made to right decision for me.

I am married and I have two sons I adore ages 20 and 9 and I want to be around to play with my future grandchildren. I will be getting my Master's Degree in May and would like to be thinner on my pictures than I was when I recieved my Bachelor's Degree. Photography is my hobby but I do not like to take pictures of myself. I am one to stay in my comfort zone most times but I am ready to do something wonderful for me. I am one who let criticisms get to me easily so I have not told anyone about the surgery but my husband and one co-worker(she had gastric in 90's and understand). I am not ready for people to try and talk me out of it or say negative things about the surgery. I will probably have to tell one of my sister's because I will need her to take care of my son while my husband is with me at the hospital.

Here is a little breakdown of my process:
9/19/13- Consultation ($40 copay)
9/30/13-Psychological ($55 copay)
10/2/13-2 hour Nutrition Class ($150)
10/8/13- Email that my surgery has been approved by my insurance
10/9/13-EKG, Stress, Cardiac clearance
10/17/13- Final Doctor's consult ($40 copay) surgery scheduled, yeah..
11/5/13- Pre-Op visit with Doctor and Pre-test with Hospital ( I will start my 2 week liquid diet on this day, $345 for vitamins and meal replacements, my doctor suggest Bariatric Advantage products.

My surgery date is scheduled for November 19, 2013..
I am presently weighing 288 lbs and I am 5'3 even though this clinic says I am 5'2..
I now have to get mentally ready because 31 days is not far off. Reading the blogs on this site has really been helping me process eeverything, everyone is so supportive.

Night before pre-op

I had my last solid food dinner tonight. I will see my doctor tomorrow to pick up vitamins and protein supplements. I am getting nervous, hope I survive the liquid diet. I notice some people are allowed to eat jello and puddings but my doctor do not recommend those, I wish. I can have jello and sugar free pops the day before surgery which is all clear liquids. I am going to ask tomorrow can I at least have a liquid soup at least once a day.

2nd Day Pre-Op

My second day of pre-op, I am having a meltdown.. I'm having anxiety...keep me in your thoughts...
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

So far everyone has been wonderful and kind, my favorite is the front receptionist Amy, any questions I have she will get the answer for me.

Hey! How's everything going? Have you re-scheduled your surgery?
Not yet. I was thinking February but I decided to wait. I'm cutting back on my own right now until I'm back comfortable with the decision. .It's great to see your progress so far.
How are you now? Thinking of you and hoping you can go ahead soon.
Just wanted to say good luck on everything! update soon
Thanks Tiff, I postponed my surgery...I had an anxiety attack k for the first time in my life, doctor took me off work for a few days..they think I was panicky about the surgery...I'm going to wait and see. I did loose 8lbs in the last week...pray for me..I will still be rooting everyone else
Prayers are def up for you. I am done with all my tests and supervision. Im just waiting to get approved and yes i amd having cold feet and is def having nightmares about it. I know its the right thing but i dont know something is def coming over me! but im def praying for u
Thanks
AWww its a breeze .From my experience with Mini Gastric . I just had a belly ache for few days.The first 2 weeks were the hardest easier as you move along.I feel soooooooooo much healthier now only 5 months out! Hope you go thru with it !!
You and I seem so similar.Half my life I was 105lbs.Suffered with anxiety, depression and worked 2 jobs along with my husband raising 2 children. Since the death of my parents(especially my Mom in 2008)I topped at 230 and have come down to 205 at my lowest. My daughter had Lap Band in 2011 at age 18. She had been overweight her entire life. She has been so excited at her weight loss. The past year I have been considering the same. My Doctor told me more about the sleeve. Initially I had written off the Sleeve or Bypass. I told him it was too permanent. I will never forget his response which is why I am writing you tonight. He said" How long do you want your weight loss to be?" Got it. Either I do something or continue to rack up obese related conditions-High cholesterol and HTN and arthritis so far. I just want to feel and look good again. So tired of trying diets and not making a dent .I understand your concern but whatever you decide realize it will be permanent-healthy weight or obesity
Thanks momo
Had to cancel my 11/19/13 surgery date. I took sick two days after starting pre-op.. I'm just starting to feel better. Have to rethink this over, I have too much on my plate presently with work and graduate school. The good thing is my insurance says my approval is good for a year.
thanks Kristy, I need it , it was a long day today.

Good luck with your pre-op!

How did it go hun? I know jello protein shakes puddings can be a hassel before hand but after they are not so bad . I am wishing u all the best hun and prays too.
Dawn, Im sitting in waiting room as we speak..
Oic..good luck! :)
No way are you in your forties! I'm only two years older than you and you look ten years younger than me! You're really beautiful, I hate it when people say 'you'd be gorgeous if you lost weight', what they should say is 'your body will be as beautiful as your face and you'll be healthy' that's going to be so true of you. The loss can only be beneficial to your knee. I'm going for sleeve as you know, my surgeon is really confident it can be enough for me to lose 180 pounds and it carries far less risks than the bypass, both during and after. You'll be the fittest grandmother out there when the time comes. Good luck with the liquid diet!
Thanks Allie, for the kind words.
Went for my consult today. Dr said I was a great candidate due to : diabetes, high blood pressure , and sleep apnea. Plus my BMI is 38. Im dropping by my pcp tomorrow to give him my medically necessity letter. So I'm a few weeks behind you. I'm looking fwd to reading ur blogs!
Thanks and good luck..
enjoyed your story, my surgery is NOV 8, I will post my stats, I struggled with decided between sleeve and gastric also.... I just the sleeve
Soon I see, how is your preop going?
I was going for bypass but my dr said with my age it would be best to do the sleeve. I wish u all the luck prayers and u will make it through with flying colors ..u will not regret the decision once u get where u are going. Good luck.
Thank you.
Wow! That's Awesome!! Your process went so fast. Good Luck with everything!!