The First Step to the Best Days of My Life - Houston, TX

Tomorrow is my first consultation with the surgeon...

Tomorrow is my first consultation with the surgeon & nutritionist. I'm planning on having a surgery date before I leave!

I've spent years building up to this moment. Unable to exercise. Watching my health getting worse. Dieting, loose a few pounds, gain that back plus a few more pounds. I want to play with the kids! Ride my bike. Wear cute clothes from off the rack on a "regular" department store! Still be able to breathe when I walk across a room!

I'm tired of being depressed because of everything I CAN NOT DO! I HATE going past a mirror! Who is that fat, unhealthy girl? I don't want to be her any more!

I Have a Date!

Visits went well yesterday and I left with my goal achieved: My new, healthier life begins Wednesday, February 26, 2014!

I was so disappointed when I got on the scales only to learn I gave gained yet another 1½ pounds over the past 6 weeks. Just another kick to my self esteem. I am going to work hard on the mindset of seeing it as a confirmation that this procedure is the right decision.

First Day of Liquiid Protien Diet

Whew! Day one is history!

Today I clearly learned:
Our society is obsessed with food! It's everywhere and the focus of most social gatherings.

Diet Challenges:
First day. I'm short one 8oz protein drink and 8 oz glass of water. I just could not eat as much as they wanted. I don't eat that often or that much when I am NOT on a diet! The 8oz of water I will drink during the night.

CONFESSION: I have decided a few small oyster crackers would be divine in my broth! Lol!

FRUSTRATED

I am on Day 9 of my 14 day preop diet. I have only lost 4 pounds total and have been stuck here since Day 5. Anyone else have this issue?

FRUSTRATED

It is now Day 10 of my preop liquid diet and I have only lost 4 pounds. I haven't cheated by honestly thought I could hope to loose at least 10 pounds during this process. I spoke with my doctor's office today. They are not alarmed and say this is perfectly normal. Apparently your body goes into preservation mode & hangs on to the weight so we don't starve ourselves. Thanks body, but I AM starving for a great steak or Tex-Mex cheese enchiladas and a HUGE Coca~Cola!!

Oops

Pardon my poor editing and too much help from auto correct in the last post!

Pre-Op

Went for my pre-op at the hospital yesterday. 5 tubes of blood donated, (lol) a urine sample, and a lot of instructions for Wednesday. Finally, a tour of the patient rooms and a great meeting with the nurses. We shared a few laughs and I left feeling more confident than ever this is the right choice for me.

Finally made it to the Looser Bench

Day 4 Post Op. I had a textbook Gastric Sleeve procedure on Wednesday. Came home on Friday. Will update more in the next few days.

2 Weeks Post Op Today

My surgery was positively text book from the doctor's perspective. Minimal pain and no complications. I spent 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital. I had the absolute best nursing care a person could ever hope to have!

Coming home to a quiet house was nice. I've been experiencing very unexpected emotions. Nothing I would describe as depression, just unexpected self doubt. Thoughts like, "I am going to be an awful exception to weight loss & not loose even with the sleeve as a tool." "I will never celebrate the incredible amounts of weight loss I see others celebrating 3, 6, 12 months out!" Many negative, self doubts that caught me completely off guard. I am told these feelings are not uncommon which is comforting and I will continue to work through them.

My total weight loss at 10 days out was 20 pounds, with 4.6 pounds coming off in the 14 day pre-op two week liquid diet.

So far, I believe the Sleeve was and will be a great investment in my health.

First Post Op Visit

My doc said he is pleased with my weight loss & recovery. He does not consider me to be a slow loser though I do. 26 pounds in 3 weeks and seemingly on a plateau which I understand is normal. Need more exercise and to get ALL my protein in, which is still a struggle to do.

I want 50 pounds gone already. I want to be in One~derland!! My daughter gets married the end of May. I want her to be surprised and proud of me!

One month ago...

Exactly one month ago today I invested in myself and had the VSG. Today I woke up 30 pounds lighter and more encouraged because I know the best is yet to come!

6 Weeks Post Sleeve

Six weeks later. I don't see much difference but I have gone from a size 26 to a size 20!
Dr Terry Scarborough

Kind and caring bedside manner with a very thorough knowledge of all bariatric procedures. Dr. Scarborough is excellent at case study and recommending what is best for your particular needs. I LOVE Dr. Scarborough and wish everyone could be as lucky as I am having him as my surgeon! I give him the HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION possible!

I can see he difference! You looked so beautiful on your daughter's big day!
Hi going g for my first appt...nutrition and psych next week. What should I expect in the psych evaluation..it's two hous long Thx marie2222
HI Marie2222, my insurance required two evaluation sessions. the first one was an hour and the counselor asked me questions to be sure I was well informed about what the gastric sleeve surgery entails, both physically and nutritionally and if I realized what a lifestyle change it will be. She administered a bariatric questionnaire that had about 175 questions and made a follow up apt for when the results of the questionnaire came in. At that session, she asked me if I had any fears (to which I answered - a healthy fear of failure), if I had a support system in place, and what my plan of action would be when I face challenges or difficulties post-operatively. I made a list of things I hate about being fat, and a list of things I'm looking forward to when I get to goal, which I will post on my fridge and read again and again when I feel down or tempted or disappointed if I'm not where I think I should be. I also made a list of 50 things to do instead of snack. I asked her for her number in case I ever feel I may need someone to talk to beyond my bariatric team and nutritionist. She said it sounds like I'm prepared and positive about it and feels I have taken steps for a successful outcome. Take some time to evaluate your feelings, thin about these issues and just be honest. You will be fine!
Chatty Cathy ... Thank you so much...very helpful information. I have never had a psych evaluation before. I have researched the sleeve procedure and am very very familiar with the whole process and mentally think I am ready. I can't wait to get started. I love the idea of posting a list on your fridge...what a great idea! Have you had your surgery..if so..how are you doing?
I have one more weight management class to fulfill my insurance requirements, which will be in late May. I hope to have a surgery date of mid to late June. I too, have researched, tried the various protein powders (Unjury Strawberry Sorbet in Crystal Light Fruit Punch is my favorite), put together a notebook with recipes and meal plans for each post-op stage of eating, begun to stock my pantry with post-op foods, I have cut out all soda and caffeine, and am now drinking two protein powder drinks per day and a healthy meal for dinner and one or two healthy snacks per day. I have lost 19 lbs since Feb. 24th, and hope to lose another 10 to 12 before surgery. I started out at 243 and my goal weight is 135, which puts me at a healthy BMI with a height of 5' 6". I have slowly increased my daily activity and keep a food journal on LoseIt.com and bought a Fitbit which also tracks my activity, food and sleep. My next goal is to start sampling/taking the vitamins so I will be in the habit and on a schedule by the time I have surgery. I've never been a vitamin person and take what few meds I'm on all at one time in the AM, so this seems to be a challenge for me. FYI, the liquid vitamins for the first couple of weeks after surgery are expensive but I understand they are necessary. I have tried to spread the cost of getting all these items over the last few months so I will be prepared and so it doesn't impact my pocketbook all at once. It seems anything with bariatric on it costs twice as much. ;-) LOL! But we're worth it. BTW, ther eis a great blog to follow called The World According to Eggface (Google it). The girl had gastric bypass and has some great recipes as well as articles to encourage you. she had her surgery many years ago so there is ALOT of info on the blog, but it's worth the time to read her story and insights. This site is great also. We'll be looking forward to following your story as you travel this journey with us. Good luck and success to you. When is your surgery?
Chatty Cathy , Wow you are a wealth of information and seem very prepared. I just started this journey by attending a seminar last Saturday, and by Monday afternoon had scheduled my first appointments. My first appointments are the 13th of May for my first general appointment...blood work..EKG..etc. then on the 15th I have my 1 hour nutrition and 2 hr psych appt. My BMI is at 39..5'7" 243 lbs. so for insurance reasons I need proof of two complications of being over weight due to the fact I am not a BMI of 40 or greater. So this week am going to my podiatrist to get documents proving my foot pain, I also have an appt with my MD to get documents for my knee pain and last but not least I have to go to Medical Weight loss and Weight Watcher for proof I have tried to lose weight in the past. This is a lot of work but well worth it. I have heard a lot about tis Unjury protein drink but have not tried it. Where do you get it? Keep up the good work....I am very proud of you for being so organized and prepared. Marie2222
Marie2222, you can order Unjury online at Unjury.com , they also have Opurity bariatric vitamins. I received the chewables and they're pretty good. A little dry, but all chewables are...they have a citrus flavor. It sounds like we're about the same size but you have an inch on me, which reminds me of a joke I used to make regarding my weight - I'm not too fat, I'm just too short - yeah, I know, not really funny and that's why I am determined to get to a healthy weight and lifestyle again! Let us know your timeline for surgery and update your progress.
Omg!!!!!: you absolutely beautiful!!!!!! Ur little face is so thin u can tell big time! Yay!!! What a beauty sooo proud of u my dear!!! Hey u never added me on Facebook... Xoxo!! Love ur pics keep up the great wrk and how are u feeling?
Regarding 6 weeks post sleeve - Look at you! Girl you have a waist line! I mean you wore a fitted dress and it was very becoming. I can really see a change in your face and neck also. Keep up the god work. They say it takes a while for our brain to really see the change. I had a friend lose over a hundred lbs and she said she looks the same to herself, even though she is 8 sizes smaller than her high weight.
You're doing so well, I am taking real inspiration from your story!
Omg!!!!!! Did u really!!!! Aghhh how exciting!!!!! In so happy for uu and proud of u!! Are u able to walk around and how long did it take for ur stomach to heal did u have lots of pain??
Congrats! Happy healing and thank you for sharing your journey. Please continue to keep us posted.
miss deb how are you doing? havn't heard from you in awhile...hope your doing well and strong! :) i feel like you need some new pics! :)))))) miss reading a review
Debbasue, at what facility did you have your surgery? I understand TLC uses several different facilities. My insurance requires that it be done at a facility that has a specialized area for bariatric care and they list Memorial Hermann at the med center as a Bariatric facility of excellence. Just wondering what your experience was with the facility personnel.
I chose to have my procedure at Victory Medical Center. I believe that it is a center of excellence as well. Drs. Scarborough and Nyu own their surgical suites at that facility. What truly made me choose them was the quality of nursing care I received. The nurse/patient ratio was never more than 2 to 1! That appealed to me greatly especially coming from recovery where I am known to have the most complications. ALL of my care was personal, prompt and excellent. If I had not gone to Victory, Hermann would have been my next choice. Remember that I am self pay and had a bit more flexibility than those who are bound by their insurance preferences. Mine was based on research and the doctor plus location I felt best suited MY needs. GOOD LUCK!
Thank you. I will check if Victory Medical Center is an accepted facility. I will be having my EGD there to se if I have a hernia that needs repair when they do the sleeve. I have had reflux issues for years but have never been told I have a hernia, so hopefully that won't complicate matters. You are doing GREAT! Post a new picture so we can see your progress too.
Wow 30 pounds! That's so great. I keep your journey and I'm so encourage I can't wait to have my done! I Keep you in my thoughts! Keep going, you will look more amaizing for the wedding I'm sure!
soooo proud of you!!!! you see! :) Could you imagine in another month?! your gona be down and another 30 lbs! your gona surpass your goal before May! you need to post a some pic sweetie!!! eeekkkk! :)))))))) you got this!
Decided to try on a Size 20 pants today. They fit! I can even breathe with them on. From a 24/26 on February 26. Yay!
omg im soooo proud of you!!!! yay!!!! post a pic! im sure you look amazing! and your gona be just fine and I know you will lose 50lbs. by may for sure!! :))))))))))) awww how exciting thanks for sharing and keep us posted love it!!!!!! soooo awesome !
Latina Curves Your encouragement keeps me courage to keepp goining, in general, helping me believe I WILL me my goals. You are an absolutely fantastic motivator. I am always so grateful for having you share this site with me! You are player 1 in a million, special lady! Thanks for all that you do.
omg you have no idea how i needed to hear that! im going through a rough time too, just feeling depressed about myself, and wanting this surgery sooo bad :(....Ive been keeping a food journal and checking my blood sugars after every meal, this morning instead of feeling sorry for myself i went for a bike ride did 30min, it was sooo hard, I pulled my 3 yr. old in a trailer...but gosh it was tough....but i did it and i do feel like i accomplished something. Im so proud of you and your gona be just fine, thanks for writing back to me really means a lot, love reading all about what your doing and feeling since this surgery :) xoxoxooxo
Congrats you did it. How do you feel? I am 5 days out of surgery. I would love to hear all about it.
omg im sooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u did it!!!!!!!!!!! omg what an inspiration u are to me! i can only dream of losing 20 lbs in 10days! dont feel bad at alll ur gonna look amazing and feel amazing too! i can twait till my surgery! awwww :) thanks for posting and sharing pictures too! i will def. be following an dlooknig forward to your posts....keep them coming how does it feel to not eat food?????! :) eeekkkk im ecstatic!!!!
Too much food was just a dream before. Now....it is an amazing thing that my body definitely lets me know not to eat any more! I am so grateful!!