The First Step to the Best Days of My Life - Houston, TX

Tomorrow is my first consultation with the surgeon...

Tomorrow is my first consultation with the surgeon & nutritionist. I'm planning on having a surgery date before I leave!

I've spent years building up to this moment. Unable to exercise. Watching my health getting worse. Dieting, loose a few pounds, gain that back plus a few more pounds. I want to play with the kids! Ride my bike. Wear cute clothes from off the rack on a "regular" department store! Still be able to breathe when I walk across a room!

I'm tired of being depressed because of everything I CAN NOT DO! I HATE going past a mirror! Who is that fat, unhealthy girl? I don't want to be her any more!

I Have a Date!

Visits went well yesterday and I left with my goal achieved: My new, healthier life begins Wednesday, February 26, 2014!

I was so disappointed when I got on the scales only to learn I gave gained yet another 1½ pounds over the past 6 weeks. Just another kick to my self esteem. I am going to work hard on the mindset of seeing it as a confirmation that this procedure is the right decision.

First Day of Liquiid Protien Diet

Whew! Day one is history!

Today I clearly learned:
Our society is obsessed with food! It's everywhere and the focus of most social gatherings.

Diet Challenges:
First day. I'm short one 8oz protein drink and 8 oz glass of water. I just could not eat as much as they wanted. I don't eat that often or that much when I am NOT on a diet! The 8oz of water I will drink during the night.

CONFESSION: I have decided a few small oyster crackers would be divine in my broth! Lol!

FRUSTRATED

I am on Day 9 of my 14 day preop diet. I have only lost 4 pounds total and have been stuck here since Day 5. Anyone else have this issue?

FRUSTRATED

It is now Day 10 of my preop liquid diet and I have only lost 4 pounds. I haven't cheated by honestly thought I could hope to loose at least 10 pounds during this process. I spoke with my doctor's office today. They are not alarmed and say this is perfectly normal. Apparently your body goes into preservation mode & hangs on to the weight so we don't starve ourselves. Thanks body, but I AM starving for a great steak or Tex-Mex cheese enchiladas and a HUGE Coca~Cola!!

Oops

Pardon my poor editing and too much help from auto correct in the last post!

Pre-Op

Went for my pre-op at the hospital yesterday. 5 tubes of blood donated, (lol) a urine sample, and a lot of instructions for Wednesday. Finally, a tour of the patient rooms and a great meeting with the nurses. We shared a few laughs and I left feeling more confident than ever this is the right choice for me.

Finally made it to the Looser Bench

Day 4 Post Op. I had a textbook Gastric Sleeve procedure on Wednesday. Came home on Friday. Will update more in the next few days.

2 Weeks Post Op Today

My surgery was positively text book from the doctor's perspective. Minimal pain and no complications. I spent 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital. I had the absolute best nursing care a person could ever hope to have!

Coming home to a quiet house was nice. I've been experiencing very unexpected emotions. Nothing I would describe as depression, just unexpected self doubt. Thoughts like, "I am going to be an awful exception to weight loss & not loose even with the sleeve as a tool." "I will never celebrate the incredible amounts of weight loss I see others celebrating 3, 6, 12 months out!" Many negative, self doubts that caught me completely off guard. I am told these feelings are not uncommon which is comforting and I will continue to work through them.

My total weight loss at 10 days out was 20 pounds, with 4.6 pounds coming off in the 14 day pre-op two week liquid diet.

So far, I believe the Sleeve was and will be a great investment in my health.

First Post Op Visit

My doc said he is pleased with my weight loss & recovery. He does not consider me to be a slow loser though I do. 26 pounds in 3 weeks and seemingly on a plateau which I understand is normal. Need more exercise and to get ALL my protein in, which is still a struggle to do.

I want 50 pounds gone already. I want to be in One~derland!! My daughter gets married the end of May. I want her to be surprised and proud of me!

One month ago...

Exactly one month ago today I invested in myself and had the VSG. Today I woke up 30 pounds lighter and more encouraged because I know the best is yet to come!

6 Weeks Post Sleeve

Six weeks later. I don't see much difference but I have gone from a size 26 to a size 20!
Dr Terry Scarborough

Kind and caring bedside manner with a very thorough knowledge of all bariatric procedures. Dr. Scarborough is excellent at case study and recommending what is best for your particular needs. I LOVE Dr. Scarborough and wish everyone could be as lucky as I am having him as my surgeon! I give him the HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION possible!