Come On, October! -Houston, TX

I've hated my nose since I can remember. It has a...

I've hated my nose since I can remember. It has a large dorsal hump and a droopy tip that curves to the right. Plus, I have breathing difficulties as well. I shopped around and met with a few ENT's until I found the right one.
My surgical date is October 1st. I trust the surgeon and am looking forward to the operation. Hopefully taking 10 days off to recover will be long enough!
There's not really much else to write at this point. I'll update y'all after the pre-op appointment!

Things I'm looking forward to

1. enhanced confidence
2. kissing my boyfriend without poking him in the face with my nose
3. ability to try more diverse hairstyles
4. less mouth-breathing
5. not having to "turn to my good side" for every photo

Imaged Pre & Post

please forgive the smudge on the imaged "post" photo.

friggin' insurance woes

The insurance I have is kinda screwy and will only allow me to have an operation in the OR of the hospital where I work, otherwise insurance won't pay for the functional part.
This sucks but it looks like I'm going to have to have only the cosmetic aspect done at this time.
Has anyone else been in this situation?

my doc is so considerate

I spoke with my surgeon and told him about my insurance issues. He's still going to do the turbinectomy/septoplasty and cosmetic rhino but put a discount on his fee to offset the fact that insurance won't pay. In the end, the price is right and the surgery will proceed as scheduled.
I am so very grateful for everything he and his staff have done to accommodate me. It has gone above and beyond what I expected.

more "before"

Ya can tell the tip veers off to one side slightly. Can't wait to take selfies without this crooked, oversized schnoz!

one more week

I've wanted this for close to 16 years. One week from today I'll be home in bed recovering from the surgery. I go in for my pre-op appointment tomorrow. I'm so nervous but excited at the same time!

pre-op done, 5 more days!

I had my pre-op appointment yesterday with my surgeon. 5 more days and I couldn't be more excited!
I must say, I feel so much more prepared for everything after joining this site and reading all of your reviews. So thanks everyone!

done and done

All my nurses, anesthesiologist and my surgeon kicked booty today :) I was slightly nervous but my mom was more nervous than me! Everyone did a really fine job at reassuring her.
The last thing I remember is laying down on the operating table. The nurse said she was going to give me some Versed and then I woke up in post-op.
I felt hot and nauseated. They gave me some Zofran, which seemed to help. Then I had to stand to move from the stretcher to the recliner, nausea and dizziness hit me then. I was fine after some Phenergan.
Then I ate some yyogurt and took a pain pill. Nausea, again. I almost tossed my cookies but it stayed down thank goodness!
My mom, sister and boyfriend are all taking excellent care of me and I'm very grateful for their help.
I haven't looked at myself yet, figured there's nothing to look at right now.
The pain is very tolerable, maybe a 3/10, if that. My throat is sore from the breathing tube and that's the worst part, a 6/10 when I swallow. I think I'm gonna live :)
Anyway, it's nap time. Nighty night.

day of surgery

Woohoo, let the bruising begin! It'll make me look tough, wonder if people will believe it when I lie about being an MMA fighter...

and more bruising

I can feel my nose swell under the cast when I walk around the house and that's a little bit uncomfortable. There's some bruising and swelling between my eyebrows and a nice purple/yellow under the eyes.
Other than that I feel pretty good. Can't wait to get the stents out of my nostrils on Friday!

hopefully this is as bad as it gets

I feel much better today. Took a bath, took the dogs out for a walk... I feel like this is as bad as the bruising is going to get. My eyes were swollen yesterday but not so much today.
The purple really brings out my eyes, don't you think? Ha ha ha

The dreaded splints are gone!

Yay, the splints are gone! The removal was a little weird but quick and pretty much painless. The doctor suctioned my nose a bit (also felt very weird) and said everything looked good and to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm scheduled for the cast removal on October 8th.
Happy as a clam so far :)
Anyone wanna see the splints? I have a picture...

the splints

They're about the size of snow peas

sweet....

The cast came off today. I got a little misty and and a lot anxious when it came off. I was thinking, "This is it. I'm either going to love it or hate it. Lordy, I hope I don't freak out if I hate it, that will be so embarassing."
The doctor did his whole exam before he gave me the mirror.
What a relief! I still look like me, just better!
Oh, my left nostril is bigger than the other one. I'm tossing it up to swelling and not gonna worry about it. The incisions for the septoplasty were done on the left so it makes sense.
So far I love it.
The doc gave me some nasal exercises to do, where I pinch and apply pressure to my nose in different areas. It's supposed to keep the bones narrow. It's definitely sore/numb/sensitive right now.
I go back in one week for another follow-up.
Anyway, I'm a happy girl. So happy. I'm so glad the big unveiling wasn't very shocking.
Here's some photos!

swelling is going down

The swelling is going down and so far I'm still very happy. My poor nose is peeling like a snake but that's OK. I put some Aquaphor on it to help it along.
BTW, Aquaphor is the shit. I've been using it on my lips and inside my nostrils and it's been the only thing to actually keep those areas moisturized.
Happy healing, everyone!

so much better

I've had my cast off for a week and my nose went through some interesting changes in that amount of time. Here are the bad things:
1) My nose was very swollen, greasy and the skin felt weird for 3-4 days
2) The skin peeled like it was shedding from a bad sunburn
3) Zits, zits, zits...everywhere, probably from not being able to thoroughly wash my face for a week. The skin on and around my nose was the worst, go figure.
Here are the good things:
1) I don't feel like I'm pecking my boyfriend in the face anymore when we kiss. I don't think he ever noticed but I did. The kissing experience has improved for me, yay!
2) I don't really have a good side/ bad side anymore. Yay! Had some photos taken with family and I willingly participated. This is huge for me, I used to refuse and then get grumpy when forced to have my photo taken. Not anymore!
3) I find myself looking in the mirror LESS now than before I had the operation. Confidence is liberating.
4) The swelling has decreased substantially in the past week.
I'll post some photos in the next few days.

3 weeks post

So far so good, I'm still loving it. The swelling has gone down tremendously.
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

I very highly recommend this surgeon. He is an experienced ENT with a fantastic aesthetic eye. I have felt at ease with him since the first consultation because it is easy to tell he is confident in his skill. His staff is professional, courteous and consistent. The surgical facilities he utilizes are also fantastic.

glad your happy who notice your nose with eyes like that :D
You look really great! How are you doing now?
Lovely! Congrats!
Wow you look amazing! I bet you are so happy!
You look great for 3 weeks post op! The new nose really brings out your other features. Congrats!
Very beautiful results. The profile looks better than the morph.
Nice and natural looking result! You look great :)
Very Happy for you...you look awesome. Your nose matches you perfectly, and you look the same, with nice better straighter nose. I cant imagine what its like waiting to see your nose for the first time.... Thank you for sharing!!!
Wow! Happy for you! Your story is similar to mine. I had breathing issues and wanted to improve the way my nose looked. I had insurance woes as well, I ended up paying out of pocket and forgoing the hassle. I still have sinus infection issues that may need to be addressed with sinus surgery, but my breathing has improved. You have very little swelling, my dear! Your nose looks great! Can't wait to see your progress, pretty lady!
Woohoo! Sounds like you are doing well with the new nose. Did the aquaphor help with the peeling? I'm afraid to put anything on my nose besides sunblock because things just get so rough looking with all the white/black heads on my nose. I am afraid to scrub too hard! How is your breathing too?
The Aquaphor helped the dead skin come off. The zits showed up after that but it wasn't the Aquaphor's fault, the pores had been clogged for a week straight so that's why. Got some 2.5% benzoyl peroxide face wash that really helped. My breathing is much better than it used to be. I can sleep all night with my mouth closed. My mouth isn't nearly as dry in the morning. I used to take Claritin-D every day and I haven't needed even one since the operation.
Cool I'm going to have to get some aquaphor... the peeling started a few days ago and my moisturizers didn't help. And that's awesome on the breathing. I'm still congested at times but that's because I'm a big wuss and am afraid to blow my nose even though my surgeon said I could. :)
Saline rinses are amazing! I still haven't blown my nose, but I do the nasal saline rinse two times a day. I highly recommend it.
You look great ,and your eyes are beautiful, that green !! Xx
You look great! Your swelling doesn't look bad at all. My tip is soo swollen 4 weeks post op. i'm sure your very happy with you results so early on :) happy healing!
looking good!
thank you!
Wow, your new profile is so much straighter! I'm really impressed with the new look. Very sleek profile! Hey, I'm also experiencing different nostril sizes, attributing them to swelling as well :)
WOW you look amazing! Ever so slight change and it looks natural already and its only been 7 days! U were one of the lucky ones! Im very happy for you :)
thank you, e.m.k!
Beautiful profile. I also think it's better than the morph. Congrats.
thank you! I'm really enjoying wearing my hair in a ponytail now :)
Looks even better than the imaging your doctor did!! Congrats!!!!
yay! thank you!