51 yr old explanting 23 yr Old SILICONE Implants and Having Breast Lift. - Houston, TX

I got my implants when I was 28. I had breast fed...

I got my implants when I was 28. I had breast fed my son for a year and I got divorced a year later. My tatas looked like deflated, stretched out balloons and I couldn't imagine EVER letting another man see me without a bra. A friend of mine was getting a "boob job" and I decided to get one as well. I got silicone implants just before all the big news stories broke about how silicone implants were causing so many problems and were then taken off the market for several years. My friend had a lot of problems with hers and she was part of the huge lawsuit against the manufacturer (Dow I believe) and she was awarded $300,000. I never had any problems with mine other than the fact that they were heavy and I didn't have a breast lift at that time, so they were definitely not "pert"...

Jump to today and I am 51 and VERY READY to get these things out of my body! They are still heavy and uncomfortable and I have absolutely no desire to have any larger breasts now than whatever my natural tatas turn out to be. I really do want them to be "pert" though, so that's why I decided on the lift. Shortly after i got my implants I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called Crohns. I have had constant joint pain in my hips and knees for years regardless of what the doctors try. I am praying that after my explantation my joint pain will go away or at least get better. My husband is completely on board, so I am very lucky in that regard.

So far I have had a consultation with 1 ps and I have appointments with 2 others scheduled over the next few weeks. I was very disappointed by my first consultation because the before and after pics weren't very good and I actually got to see a patient of his that had a breast lift a year ago and I thought they looked terrible (although I refrained from saying anything negative at the time). I won't name names, but this is a ps that I found on realself and he had some good reviews and the pics online looked pretty good. Anyway... onward and upward! I am hoping to have my surgery in January since I have a lot going on over the next few months. I will update after I have my next consultation next week. I love this site and feel such a sisterhood with everyone that has or will go through the explantation process!

Current pics with implants.

2nd Consultation

I had my second consultation today with a very kind and skilled ps. I was able to ask him all the right questions thanks to all the wonderful information I've found on realself from all you lovely ladies.

His fee was quite a bit less than the first ps I consulted with and I definitely felt more confident with this ps, but he DID mention several times that I would probably be happier with my results if I replaced my current implants with smaller ones. I finally got it through his head that I DONT WANT any more implants in my body and that I don't care if my breasts are smaller after the explantation and lift or that the upper pole will probably not be full.

Anyway, he is a definite possibility, but I still have one more ps that I have a consultation with on September 12 that has tons more before and after pics on his site than either of the other two that I've seen, and I'm excited to hear what he has to say.

I think I've also decided to try to schedule my surgery for the first week of November instead of waiting until January because I just really want to get this over with so I'll quit obsessing about it!!:) :) :)

3rd Consultation

Hi ladies! I finally had my consultation with the 3rd potential PS and I have made a decision. The appointment went well and because of all the info I've gleaned on this site, there were no surprises. There were many factors that went into my decision, but in the end, I'm doing what my gut tells me. This PS does have an opening at the beginning of November, but I still haven't scheduled my surgery yet because I've been a little under the weather and I want to be in excellent health before I make the commitment.

I am still just a little nervous about having surgery 3 weeks before Thanksgiving because I will have to drive 4 hours to see family and I don't want to be uncomfortable (I will also be having some lipo done and will have to be wearing a compression garment).

Anyway - my big personal debate is - 1st week of November (I'd prefer this option because I am SO frickin ready to be done with this!) - or 1st week of January, when I will have plenty of time to heal without worrying about traveling for Thanksgiving or Christmas, nor would I have to worry about wearing the compression garment under my clothes during the holidays, which seems like it would be very uncomfortable and possibly visible under clothing.

If anyone has an opinion regarding the healing timeline and holiday travel, as well as the compression garment for lower body, then please let me know! I guess that's about it for now. Happy healing to all of you that recently had your surgeries!

Congrats NaturalTatas on finding a PS you feel comfortable with. I can't address the healing time since I did not have a lift with my explant nor lipo but I was wondering what the Doctor said about the healing time and travelling in a car for 4 hours? I can totally understand your concerns about comfort level and I'm sure the RS ladies will give you info on this. As far as the compression garments and trying to hide them, at least the weather will be cooler thus easy to hide with the right clothes. And should you have it in early November, I would do the bulk of holiday shopping and wrapping prior( if this is a big holiday you celebrate) - Just my two cents. :D
Thanks H & H! You must LIVE on this website! LOL My PS said that I should be absolutely fine for the 4 hour drive because it should only take about 8 days or so before I feel well enough to travel and I would actually have 3 weeks. I just wanted the opinion of some of the ladies though because they are the ones that are actually healing - not the PS. ;-) Great idea about getting the shopping done early - I've actually already started (great minds think alike!!). You talk about cooler weather, but remember, I live in Texas and more than likely it will be in the 80's or 90's during Thanksgiving - LOL! Being a menopausal woman, I already sweat a lot and very easily, so I'm dreading having to wear an extra layer, but oh well - that's what I'm signing up for! :-/
WOW! I did not know that it gets that warm in November in Texas. YIKES! As far as the hot flashes - have you tried Royal Maca Root? It made a HUGE difference for me. (FYI - I could not take it for the two weeks prior to surgery.) As far as being on here a lot - LOL....my hubbie says the same thing! I find this site to be far more interesting than day time tv and since I can't do my usual chores and gardening, I do this, journal and read my books! I'm excited for you and what you decide to do will ultimately be right FOR YOU! :D
Hi Naturaltatas! I'm not exactly in the same boat as you, but I live in Houston and just had to tell you about the most wonderful PS. A little about me. I'm 63 and just completed my forth procedure. As a massive weight loss patient we knew from the beginning that it would be done in stages over almost two years. I'm also an RN and have worked with a gazillion docs over the years. Well, have to say that Dr. James Boynton is #1in every category possible: skill, bedside manner, artistic ability and very driven to do the best for each patient. And, believe me, I was a challenge! If you have not decided on a board certified PS in Houston yet, please give him a call. I have had an extended tummy tuck with muscle repair and flank lipo, breast maxopexy (lift) with implants, brachioplasty (arm reduction), medial thigh lift, and just had a lateral and posterior thigh lift. He is a miracle worker and also a really really great person. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info Kmbaer, but I actually have made a decision. I haven't taken the time to post that yet, but I guess I will now. I'm glad you found a PS that you like so much on all levels.
Thanks so much all of you ladies for your stories and support. I too am older and wiser. Wish I would have left well enough alone. I can't even remember if I was an A cup or B cup! Fist set silicone at age 23 for 20 years...had problems, pain ...they had to scrape silicone from chest wall (the side that wasn't hurting) so it was silent! What did I do? I replaced with saline, I believe 300cc and 325cc, which brought me to a full D some bras DD. Which wasn't what I wanted, too big, am ready to get these things out....would probably need a lift. They just don't feel natural with a weight loss of over 50#. I am 55, 5'2 and weigh 122. Have a straight boy type body. I am scared of what they will look like. Honestly, I look ok now...but I "feel" them every day....do you all know what I mean? So congrats to all you brave women,....
Congrats Fitagain for your weight loss - that's a huge amount. Eating right and exercising will only help us as we age in regards to the quality of our life. I understand that you "feel" them everyday - I too feel that way plus I've never owned them. I have never embraced them as a part of me and have never felt comfortable with them being touched. My hope is to gain freedom from my explant and connect once again to my natural boobs. Being fearful of what they will look like is real and only something YOU will have to come to terms with. It is a personal decision, quiet your mind and listen to your intuition. Good luck and keep us in the loop with your decision!
I know exactly what you mean. It seemed that for many years they were a part of me and not that noticeable, except at certain times. Recently right before deciding to explant I could feel them everyday and it felt as thought something foreign was in my body. I also had pain which didn't help. Good luck with your procedure!
You and I have similar stories Naturaltatas (SO love that profile name!) - I will be 50 next month with 19 year old implants - since we are older and have had them in a long time - our results may not be as pretty as some of the others on here and that's ok - a wonkiness pretty is good enough for me! I am at a place in my life of FULL ACCEPTANCE of what will be.... WILL BE. I want to feel MY soft boobies and I want to LOVE me at this age, healthy, whole and as holistic as possible. I will follow your story and look forward to the updates!
If it makes you guys feel better I'm 57 and had mine for 26 years and I love the way they look now. In fact, they look as they did long ago, at least for the most part. Surprises me though. Just to give you some food for thought. Or, should I say, some boob for thought! :)
That's very encouraging to hear...thank you JoeLooseSkin! Love the boob for thought!
Thanks H & H, you're right - we are similar! Although I must say, I still would like my girls to look pretty good after my explant and lift - that's why I'm paying the extra money! ;) I do agree though that they probably won't look as good as some of the younger ladies on this site. That is totally okay with me be updates I'm not trying to be in my 20's again (heaven forbid!), I just want to feel good again, and a little lighter! BTW - no offense to you ladies in your 20's about my comment - it's just that personally, my life is WAY easier now and less stressful and less hectic than it was in my 20's - YAY to retirement! :)
I just realized that your explant date is only a few weeks away! Wow! I'm really excited for you HappyandHolistic!
BAHAHA! Boob for thought! :0) I went back to look at your pics and I don't see any. Did you post any? I'd love some more inspiration!
I chickened out on posting pics. But, I think I will post before and after of my lift. That way you can at least see post explant. Sorry to be a chicken! Lol
Thank you - I'm so excited and can't wait - I am SO ready for this!
I SO understand being nervous about posting the pics! I was nervous too, that's why I cropped mine super close so nothing would give away my identity! I look forward to seeing yours - thanks for your courage! :-)
You bet! I'll keep you posted on what the PS says about the lift on Tues as well. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.
I'm so happy for you that you've made your decision. I so get it about the obsessing part. That's what I did and ended up doing it right away. I was in some pain though and I knew they were most likely ruptured and wanted them out once I realized what the pain was likely coming from. It's been a week and a half and I feel great. I know you will too. Thanks for your post and keep us posted. Looking forward to hearing more.
Thanks for the encouragement JoeLooseSkin! Yes, for sure more important in your case to get them out right away. I can't wait for the day when I can say "it's been a week and a half and I feel great"!!!! :-)
Thanks for the update on the 2nd consultation and for staying firm on what YOU believe to be the best thing for YOU. Remember, most PSs are in the business for profit and if you get off the surgery merry go round then they no longer have you coming back every few years with issues. I love my PS and he understood how firm I was to explant and did not try to convince me otherwise, BUT he still said at the end of the consultation..."down the road...if you change your mind, you can always get implants back in." UUUUHHHHHH NO. I understand why you want to get it over with - I feel so obsessed as well about it. But it is very important that you take the time to find the best PS for YOU. I look forward to hearing how #3 goes!
Thanks H & H! You crack me up (UUUUUHHHHHH NO.)!!
Don't settle for the 1st PS you saw - for whatever reason, you didn't connect with him so it's best to keep interviewing other PSs until YOU FEEL you are in the right hands for YOUR body. You said it well - we are a sisterhood here - offering the support that others in society do not understand. Congrats on making the decision to explant - that's the first step in your healing process. I look forward to following your story as we are close in age and have had these toxic bags in our bodies way too long.
Thanks for the kind words and encouraging comments Happy and Holistic! My next consultation is Tuesday, so I will post an update after my appointment.
I really agree with this. Connection to the ps is so important. Trust and a sense of caring from the surgeon makes all the difference. This isn't like we have a hang nail. This is an emotional decision as well as a decision based on health. I think the person we work with needs to be sensitive to that and understanding. I've seen a lot of posts on this site where docs have actually told women they would look terrible after explanting, in an off-handed way. Giving the option of new implants, a lift, etc is fine as maybe that what some women want to do. But, many of us have had these (26 years for me) for so long and just want them out, and our health back. A surgeon who gets it like mine did made ALL the difference.