Overweight and my Doctor Said Yes! - Houston, TX

First, I found this site while researching for my...

First, I found this site while researching for my own answers. I am scared and very nervous about my upcoming procedure. I have chosen to get a 360 circumferential body lift. I have not been out of the 200's since I was about 15 yrs old and quite frankly I am tired of not being able to see my toes and vagina! My highest weight was 309lbs with both of my daughters, this was just a 18 to 20lb weight gain each time. I spent years in the 280's, lost it and was at 199lbs in Aug of 2007. Of course, it was easy with marriage to gain weight and end up the 220's, then 230's, then who knows when it all came back. A year in to separation and finally divorced! THANK GOODNESS! I am happy to say I have been in the 250-60's for about 7 months. I know this is not a huge weight loss, but for me it is much more than that. I have kept it off and that is what is important to me thus far. I am active and everyone that knows me can tell you I am on the track walking and jogging or at our free recreation center 1 to 5 times a week. I do the ab challenges, the squat challenges, you name it. I am a lot more conscious of my food intake than I ever have been before. BUT, I am just big. I feel my best at the weight of 215-220, and ideally that is where I hope to be, even by the end of this year. That may sound crazy, but when if you are like me, you know exactly what I am saying. I am beautiful inside and out. I know this because I get told this way too many times to think otherwise and also because, I can see it. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but guess what? While I am working out and sweating my butt off, I don't want this thing flapping up and down. I don't want to look uncomfortable and I definitely do not want to feel it either. I went to a doctor expecting to be told no on June 25th and I was not! I know a miracle is not about to happen to me from this surgery, but I do know I am going to be more physically fit so that I can get more physically fit, if that makes sense? I think I have a BMI of 39 or 40 and from what I have read, that is unsafe. I also have high blood pressure, but it is under controlled by meds. The doctor did not deny me because of this, so if you are questioning a consultation, just go. Get the answers from them, not from all of us who may or may not be helping. I also have a lot of fat, not just the loose skin. I have yo yo'd a lot in the last 20yrs of my life. I think they realize that some of us are just big and that even if we are active, this flap is not going away. I plan to post some pictures soon and will definitely keep up with the post op as well. I want to inspire one person, the one person who is just like me.

-Kristi 5'7, 260lbs

7/19/14 Before Pics

I am scared and nervous with a hint of excited. I am scheduled for 7/21/14, 2 days away! I have no idea if I am truly ready for this, but here is to jumping in feet first. I have gotten some medical power of attorney paperwork done, vehicle power of attorney, and hugged my coworkers like I may not be coming back. I am a realist and understand, poop happens. With all morbidness to the side, I am trying to get my house in order. I think I have definitely been nesting. I work today and tomorrow, then have surgery bright and early Monday morning, so my mind is racing. I know I am going to forget something!!

I guess I am concerned with compression garments, I own none. I am trying to get a recliner, I know I wont be able to get in my bed. I also have no idea if I should have medical supplies on stand by or do they send me home with stuff??? Anyways... I am going to try and enjoy my next two evenings. My 2 youngest will be with their dad the next 10 days and I get in to worry mode. Anyways with the help of my teenager and amazing boyfriend, I think I can get through the hardest part... the first 10 days post op. =/

Out of Surgery

Woke up from surgery and it felt like I was only out 5 minutes. Everything went well. I'm in slight pain but managing it quoth morphine. I know it will hit me when that drip is out. I want to share with you what is affecting me most. Emotions. I've been so big for so long that my brain isnt understanding such a big part of me is gone. The doctor removed 30lbs of fat/skin. I literally broke down in tears when I sat on the edge of the bed to get up for a bathroom break. I'm so used to my stomach sitting on my legs and it wasn't there. So this is crazy. I'm going to go now, but wanted to update anyone who may be reading my story.

post op day 2

Feeling the burn and plenty of pain. I am very hunched over and a recliner is my best friend right now. As soos as drains are out I will post pics for a better "after" pic.

3 days post op

Cabin fever stir crazy im going a lil coo coo. Managing pain very well. Maybe 2 pills a day. I felt a lil feverish last night but im ok now. I do have some dark purple blochiness. I think its just bruising. Ill post a pic. I see dr tomorrow and over the phone he didnt seem too concerned with it. Anyways im hanging in there. Im just bored out of my mind. Getting up is difficult. Standing too long takes my breath away. Oh and after 3 days of no bowel movement, I finally went. I was not able to wipe myself. Im sure it was the toughest thing my 16 yr old has ever had to do for his mom. =/ I owe him $20 at least. ;)

post op 4 morning

Just had about 7 solid hours of sleep. First time in a week. My back hurts so bad i have no words to describe it. I'm sure it's from skin tightening? My scar will be kind of high on my back it seems. I havent really seen it. As far as the front, the incision is super super low. Its like Iin the crcreases of my thigh/stomach meet up and so low on my pubic area that where I pee from is probably less than an inch away. My "area" is so swollen its nuts. I just assume its because of the cut but man it hurts and the purple blochiness hasnt gone down. I see Dr Casso today, so I will let yall know if this is typical or not. Im extremely miserable right now, its almost 730a and I have to pee so bad but getting up already hurts thinking about it. My boyfriend is asleep and my teenager is asleep. They don't want me moving around on my own but I don't want to wake them. I'll do it solo. =/ I will let you know how the appt goes.

Patiently waiting to get through this first week!!

hematoma? bruising?

Heres a pic of my very low incision and what it looks like 4 days post op.

post op day 5

I slept in my bed last night propped on pillows. It felt great! I was able to get and start my day. Cleaned drains and took my first shower. Of course I have the bestest best friend in the world. She stood in there getting all my hard to reach places. Which there are a lot of them. This is the first morning I got up and started moving around where I didn't feel so hunched over and the burning along my incisions on my back seem to go away. I could say that all of this is just because it's 5 days later or maybe because I took norco an hour before getting out of bed. I don't know. I've been up 3hrs now and besides exhaustion from all the standing and hot shower, I feel really good. Ok, so if you're following me on here right now I mentioned the purple in my pubic area. Well tje pimple sized blisters are much bigger. I called my dr just now ( Saturday) he answered his cell phone, no problem. Anyways, he says to expect they may pop and leak out. I was told to put antibiotic ointment on any that open and that he will decide how to take care of it monday. Most likely but cutting out the area and restiching it. =( I'm sad about this because I don't want to be slowed down anymore than I need to be because I have to get back to work. Anyways I'm posting a pic. I know it can be a lil graphic but I want whoever needs this indo to see how ugly it can be.

going back under the knife 7 days post op

So my lil purple area may or may not heal properly without being cut out. But ive got to get back to work asap so I opted to just get in there and get it over with. I go back in the morning at 7am. The doctor charges nothing and the anesthesiologist fees are covered by my insurance since this is now considered necessary and not elective. Anyways. This far along I am sleeping in my bed pretty comfortable now. I don't roll over or anything like that, just s

continued. .

My phone rang and my last post went up incomplete. Anyways I was mentioning my sleeping propped up and it feeling pretty good. I do have discomfort all day doing different things but I'm happy that I'm up and moving around even if just a little. I've ran to walmart, barnes and noble, and take the kids to daycare with assistance getting them in and out. I'm scared this revision is going to put me back on my healing time but its best to just get it over with. My very low pubic scar after 2nd surgery will now be brought up a lil, more under belly button now I think. I'll post a pic now and one after surgery. I'm hoping my posts help someone out there. Im just typing how I think or talk and realize I'm all over the place sometimes. =) also I want to note I have high pressure and was very over weight this issue I'm having isnt that uncommon for people like me.

revision of the abdominal wound

I had poor blood circulation after my 360 body lift near the incision closest to my pubic area. The scar was very low and within 2 days it was already turning purple. Yesterday i had that area removed. The results are not pleasing to my eyes, but it was better than leaving it and it never healing.

10 days post op from 1st surgery

I'm ready to go back to work. Super bored. Can't do much around house rather be making a paycheck. I have back pain quite a bit. I'm able to do a lot for my daughters. Just improvising bath time( they shower more now) and cannot pick them up. Otherwise I'm OK.

8/1/14 pics

After pics so far. Still swollen but I'm functioning.
Dr. Casso

I have nothing but positive words for the doctor, his staff, and the St Johns Methodist hospital staff. I'm very pleased with the service I have received. My issues with my incision was not the doctor's fault. I have high blood pressure and over weight. Complications are more likely to happen to us than others. I knew going in. =/

Hi there! You look great!!! Today is my 45th birthday and I've done nothing but lay around. Lol My husband left work early and had lunch with me, and we might go out to eat tomorrow night. It will be my only outing except for my doctor's appointment! Getting bored & stir crazy but I'm doing e everything by the book. How are you feeling today?
Thanks for informing us on your status... Your looking awesome, I hope your healing recovery goes smooth. Your in my prayers been really thinking about your since I started reading your posting. Take care, don't do more than you are suppose to your healing is very important. Keep us informed and post more pictures as you can...
Thank you so much for thinking of me. It means a lot to me to know that people are following my journey. It's a serious one and I cannot believe I'm where I am today. I know I have a ways to go as far as healing. Today I pushed myself way too much. 3 days ago was my revision surgery and here I am today hardly no rest out running around for the past 10 hrs. There is definitely no place like home. I'm comfy in my bed right now and I don't plan on doing much for a few days.
How was your doctor's appointment?
Well I got one drain left. I'm happy about that. Got all my stitches out except for the ones I got yesterday. I'm not in a binder until Monday possibly. However my incision that was very low in my pubic area is now about 2 inches from my "you know what". It's not a natural look to me but maybe it will change once the swelling goes down. I'd rather look a lil weird than never heal. So it is what it is. =/ I'll post a pic tomorrow.
How are you feeling today?
Good afternoon. I'm feeling fine. Was home a couple hours after surgery. I am hunched over again and my back hurts but as far as the revised abdominal wound I haven't seen it yet. I'm bandaged pretty good. I'll be seeing the doctor later today. How are YOU feeling today??
Meh. Still feeling blue. I'm just frustrated bc recovery is sooooo sloooooow. My boobs look good, but I still look so fat in my tummy above my incision. I'm REALLY hoping that it's mostly swelling and no what my new shape is going to be. :(
Do you have any pics? I am curious to see your incision where you think it's still fat.
How can I send one?
Hey you. =) Hoping you're doing okay today.
I hope your surgery went well this morning and all is well. :)
I am home and eating! Was starving. I feel pretty good. Havent seen how new incision looks but I don't have too much discomfort thus far. I'm sure these pain meds ate doing their job. I'm truly going this fixed the problem. I have a post op tomorrow at 415.
Great news! I'm glad you went ahead and took care of it. Now you have to REST; really take it easy so your body can heal. :)
Best of luck tomorrow!
Thanks. It's definitely not as nerve wrecking as the first time around. But im also in maternal mode just being with the kids this evening not thinking about it.
I hate that you have to have more surgery! How will they do it? I'm so tightly pulled, there wouldn't be enough skin. Tight like a drum. I hope you come through your procedure with flying colors.
I have a bit of loose skin kind of in my pubic area. Its going to be much tighter now and incision will get a lil higher. He said my pubic area will get a lil flatter? I still have a lil fat in it. Keep in mind though I'm still a big girl so he has something to work with. How did your appointment go? Drains still in?
My appointment went well. He snipped some stitches (that pinched a bit) and took out my drain (allejuha!!). It felt weird but didn't hurt at all. I'm in quite a bit of pain tonight after my outing and he wouldn't give me more pain medication. :( I'm out of that EVIL binder and in more of a girdle thingy. It's tight but more comfortable. Today I'm feeling really blue; really teary. I guess from pain, recovery, being stuck in the house and the medication. I hope everything goes great tomorrow!! You're so calm...I'd be a basket case!!!
I am sorry to hear youre blue. I do it too. Just kinda lay there ans let tears fill up my eyes. I'm doing the whole I should have waited, I can't believe I spent this much money, how am I gonna get back to work if I dunt hurry up and feel better, my kids.... that part is breaking my heart. Its going to be okay for you. This time next week I bet we are both talking about how easy it has gotten. Imagine how hot you're going to look and feel as soon as some swelling goes down and you're in an outfit you never thought you would wear. Hold your chin up young lady, you got this! =) BIG HUGS!!!
Oh goodness! I think going in now will be for the best. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Hope you're doing well. Following your story for updates!
Following your story! best wishes!
Hi i totally understand and please post picture after when everything heals! Hope you are feeling better,
We're surgery buddies! I go back for my first plug-in on Monday. How are you feeling?