Overweight and my Doctor Said Yes! - Houston, TX

First, I found this site while researching for my...

First, I found this site while researching for my own answers. I am scared and very nervous about my upcoming procedure. I have chosen to get a 360 circumferential body lift. I have not been out of the 200's since I was about 15 yrs old and quite frankly I am tired of not being able to see my toes and vagina! My highest weight was 309lbs with both of my daughters, this was just a 18 to 20lb weight gain each time. I spent years in the 280's, lost it and was at 199lbs in Aug of 2007. Of course, it was easy with marriage to gain weight and end up the 220's, then 230's, then who knows when it all came back. A year in to separation and finally divorced! THANK GOODNESS! I am happy to say I have been in the 250-60's for about 7 months. I know this is not a huge weight loss, but for me it is much more than that. I have kept it off and that is what is important to me thus far. I am active and everyone that knows me can tell you I am on the track walking and jogging or at our free recreation center 1 to 5 times a week. I do the ab challenges, the squat challenges, you name it. I am a lot more conscious of my food intake than I ever have been before. BUT, I am just big. I feel my best at the weight of 215-220, and ideally that is where I hope to be, even by the end of this year. That may sound crazy, but when if you are like me, you know exactly what I am saying. I am beautiful inside and out. I know this because I get told this way too many times to think otherwise and also because, I can see it. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but guess what? While I am working out and sweating my butt off, I don't want this thing flapping up and down. I don't want to look uncomfortable and I definitely do not want to feel it either. I went to a doctor expecting to be told no on June 25th and I was not! I know a miracle is not about to happen to me from this surgery, but I do know I am going to be more physically fit so that I can get more physically fit, if that makes sense? I think I have a BMI of 39 or 40 and from what I have read, that is unsafe. I also have high blood pressure, but it is under controlled by meds. The doctor did not deny me because of this, so if you are questioning a consultation, just go. Get the answers from them, not from all of us who may or may not be helping. I also have a lot of fat, not just the loose skin. I have yo yo'd a lot in the last 20yrs of my life. I think they realize that some of us are just big and that even if we are active, this flap is not going away. I plan to post some pictures soon and will definitely keep up with the post op as well. I want to inspire one person, the one person who is just like me.

-Kristi 5'7, 260lbs

7/19/14 Before Pics

I am scared and nervous with a hint of excited. I am scheduled for 7/21/14, 2 days away! I have no idea if I am truly ready for this, but here is to jumping in feet first. I have gotten some medical power of attorney paperwork done, vehicle power of attorney, and hugged my coworkers like I may not be coming back. I am a realist and understand, poop happens. With all morbidness to the side, I am trying to get my house in order. I think I have definitely been nesting. I work today and tomorrow, then have surgery bright and early Monday morning, so my mind is racing. I know I am going to forget something!!

I guess I am concerned with compression garments, I own none. I am trying to get a recliner, I know I wont be able to get in my bed. I also have no idea if I should have medical supplies on stand by or do they send me home with stuff??? Anyways... I am going to try and enjoy my next two evenings. My 2 youngest will be with their dad the next 10 days and I get in to worry mode. Anyways with the help of my teenager and amazing boyfriend, I think I can get through the hardest part... the first 10 days post op. =/

Out of Surgery

Woke up from surgery and it felt like I was only out 5 minutes. Everything went well. I'm in slight pain but managing it quoth morphine. I know it will hit me when that drip is out. I want to share with you what is affecting me most. Emotions. I've been so big for so long that my brain isnt understanding such a big part of me is gone. The doctor removed 30lbs of fat/skin. I literally broke down in tears when I sat on the edge of the bed to get up for a bathroom break. I'm so used to my stomach sitting on my legs and it wasn't there. So this is crazy. I'm going to go now, but wanted to update anyone who may be reading my story.

post op day 2

Feeling the burn and plenty of pain. I am very hunched over and a recliner is my best friend right now. As soos as drains are out I will post pics for a better "after" pic.

3 days post op

Cabin fever stir crazy im going a lil coo coo. Managing pain very well. Maybe 2 pills a day. I felt a lil feverish last night but im ok now. I do have some dark purple blochiness. I think its just bruising. Ill post a pic. I see dr tomorrow and over the phone he didnt seem too concerned with it. Anyways im hanging in there. Im just bored out of my mind. Getting up is difficult. Standing too long takes my breath away. Oh and after 3 days of no bowel movement, I finally went. I was not able to wipe myself. Im sure it was the toughest thing my 16 yr old has ever had to do for his mom. =/ I owe him $20 at least. ;)

post op 4 morning

Just had about 7 solid hours of sleep. First time in a week. My back hurts so bad i have no words to describe it. I'm sure it's from skin tightening? My scar will be kind of high on my back it seems. I havent really seen it. As far as the front, the incision is super super low. Its like Iin the crcreases of my thigh/stomach meet up and so low on my pubic area that where I pee from is probably less than an inch away. My "area" is so swollen its nuts. I just assume its because of the cut but man it hurts and the purple blochiness hasnt gone down. I see Dr Casso today, so I will let yall know if this is typical or not. Im extremely miserable right now, its almost 730a and I have to pee so bad but getting up already hurts thinking about it. My boyfriend is asleep and my teenager is asleep. They don't want me moving around on my own but I don't want to wake them. I'll do it solo. =/ I will let you know how the appt goes.

Patiently waiting to get through this first week!!

hematoma? bruising?

Heres a pic of my very low incision and what it looks like 4 days post op.

post op day 5

I slept in my bed last night propped on pillows. It felt great! I was able to get and start my day. Cleaned drains and took my first shower. Of course I have the bestest best friend in the world. She stood in there getting all my hard to reach places. Which there are a lot of them. This is the first morning I got up and started moving around where I didn't feel so hunched over and the burning along my incisions on my back seem to go away. I could say that all of this is just because it's 5 days later or maybe because I took norco an hour before getting out of bed. I don't know. I've been up 3hrs now and besides exhaustion from all the standing and hot shower, I feel really good. Ok, so if you're following me on here right now I mentioned the purple in my pubic area. Well tje pimple sized blisters are much bigger. I called my dr just now ( Saturday) he answered his cell phone, no problem. Anyways, he says to expect they may pop and leak out. I was told to put antibiotic ointment on any that open and that he will decide how to take care of it monday. Most likely but cutting out the area and restiching it. =( I'm sad about this because I don't want to be slowed down anymore than I need to be because I have to get back to work. Anyways I'm posting a pic. I know it can be a lil graphic but I want whoever needs this indo to see how ugly it can be.

going back under the knife 7 days post op

So my lil purple area may or may not heal properly without being cut out. But ive got to get back to work asap so I opted to just get in there and get it over with. I go back in the morning at 7am. The doctor charges nothing and the anesthesiologist fees are covered by my insurance since this is now considered necessary and not elective. Anyways. This far along I am sleeping in my bed pretty comfortable now. I don't roll over or anything like that, just s

continued. .

My phone rang and my last post went up incomplete. Anyways I was mentioning my sleeping propped up and it feeling pretty good. I do have discomfort all day doing different things but I'm happy that I'm up and moving around even if just a little. I've ran to walmart, barnes and noble, and take the kids to daycare with assistance getting them in and out. I'm scared this revision is going to put me back on my healing time but its best to just get it over with. My very low pubic scar after 2nd surgery will now be brought up a lil, more under belly button now I think. I'll post a pic now and one after surgery. I'm hoping my posts help someone out there. Im just typing how I think or talk and realize I'm all over the place sometimes. =) also I want to note I have high pressure and was very over weight this issue I'm having isnt that uncommon for people like me.

revision of the abdominal wound

I had poor blood circulation after my 360 body lift near the incision closest to my pubic area. The scar was very low and within 2 days it was already turning purple. Yesterday i had that area removed. The results are not pleasing to my eyes, but it was better than leaving it and it never healing.

10 days post op from 1st surgery

I'm ready to go back to work. Super bored. Can't do much around house rather be making a paycheck. I have back pain quite a bit. I'm able to do a lot for my daughters. Just improvising bath time( they shower more now) and cannot pick them up. Otherwise I'm OK.

8/1/14 pics

After pics so far. Still swollen but I'm functioning.

drains!

I came home with 4 drains. Getting in the shower for the first time was Heaven. These drains got on my nerves. Naturally you don't want to tug on them, it hurts! So, I put them in a plastic bag and my best friend stood in the shower with me. (it's 3 ft by 6ft, just remoldeled..) she actually had to help wash my lady parts cus quite honestly I couldn't really bend forward and even 14 days after surgery I'm having to wipe back to front when showering and going to the bathroom. Maybe some of you are luckier. Anyways, back to drains... I still have 1 in since I had that revision surgery 6 days ago. I found that sitting it on the ledge made me nervous, I pondered..... where the hell can I hang this nuisance!!!!! Well, a lanyard my friend a mofo lanyard! Hehe hehe =)

15 days post op

Had a good day. Woke up way too early but eh it comes with parenting. I feel pretty good overall. I get tired easily and still lay down every few hours to rid my back discomfort. Nothing really important to report, just getting back to normal one very slow day at a time.

drain scarring

So I'm curious if these drain holes leave nasty scars? My sis had hers in her pubic area but all 5 of my holes are in my upper/outer thighs.

Advice on taping after showers etc... use paper tape. I used some crap I already had from years ago, in one day it was a raised up bumpy rash. Use paper tape!

tomorrow makes 3 weeks

I cannot believe how much has changed about my body in the past 20 days. It's been a roller coaster of emotions and physical discomfort.

I'm happy, very much so.

The main thing bothering me today is my pubic area under the incision is extremely swollen. I don't what to do but stay in compression garnets and use hot water bottle between my legs. I hope this goes away fast.

3 weeks and in a skirt

The most feminine I've been in a long time!

what's this white plastic thing? anyone?

I got out of the shower last night realized I have a patch of incision that's not quite closed. I noticed something white hanging out and thought it was a worm! My boyfriend pulled it out. Uhm it's plastic and probably a part of a suture? I don't know. If you do, let me know. Thanks.

34 days post op

Life is "almost" normal again. I'm bending over to pick up stuff again with no problems, reaching to grab stuff in the car, leaning back to pacify children with snacks/drinks while driving, and the best is well I'll leave that last thing to for your imagination. My confidence is soooooo much higher than it ever has been. I'm making a list of things I want to do that I've never been able to because of my size. Not necessarily weight, but that big ol gut just got in the way of so much. I want to cliff dive! I want to go ride go carts, play laser tag/paintball again, I can't wait to travel and not be scared if the sea belt is going to buckle over me on the plane. I am eager to live life and match my experiences to my personality. I'm starting today walking 30 mins after work at least 4 days a week. I'm hoping it's not too much for me. I've wanted to run a 1/2 marathon for yrs and this time nothing will stop me. I'm just so excited for my future once I'm healed and feeling 100%! The love of my life asked me to marry him a few days ago too.... I'm smiling on the inside way more than anyone will ever know.
Dr. Casso

I have nothing but positive words for the doctor, his staff, and the St Johns Methodist hospital staff. I'm very pleased with the service I have received. My issues with my incision was not the doctor's fault. I have high blood pressure and over weight. Complications are more likely to happen to us than others. I knew going in. =/

You look great girl! People do not realise that the procedure is really invasive surgery and not like having a mole removed. You are going to see improved results daily and learn to love your new body. You deserve all the praise for your life changing decision and I wish you all the best for the future.
Way to go...:) I hope mines 15lbs or more... I'm so ready...
Congrats! Did you say, Yes! I'm very happy for you my friend. I can't wait to have my done counting the days. I have a list of things I want to do as well. It's a life change alright. My pictures you look awesome girl. Don't push yourself more than you could do... Not healthy...
Thank you thank you! Of course I said yes! He's my best friend and has loved me through a lot. I don't have any recent pics but will get some soon enough! You take care my friend.
Thank you!! Hope your feeling great... :)) more pictures you motivate me...
CONGRATS!!!!!
Thank you. =) what are your days like now? I think about you and hope you are getting back into the groove of things.
How's my partner doing?
She doing just fine so happy to see your results. You make me cry to see what you went threw. But, just look at you... So beautiful girl where's all the selfies...
You look fantastic - it will be wonderful for you to enjoy your life again.
Thanks suga! I just checked out some of your pics and wow you my friend look great.
Awesome, fantastic and so happy for you!
=) thanks
@ThisYearEverythingChanges ... Just need to tell you are looking amazing!!! I hope your feeling a lot better. It's worth it all enjoy life now...
*smiling big* so happy for you girl! Glad things are going well. Keep that positive energy flowing, there's nothing you can't do now! Congratulations on the engagement
Thank you!!!!
Hey there!! How are you feeling?
Yes, a dissolving suture. It would've freaked me out!! LOL ***removed 3rd party link as not permitted on the site***
Thanks. Lol. I really was pretty confused.
That's an Insorb staple - they slowly dissolve over time but parts of them will come out or in your case all of one. I've learned how to pick the ends of them out as they seem to work their way to the surface.
I got another piece out this morning. It was crusted up in a scab. Otherwise it's ok.
Your looking beautiful, must be feeling sexy my friend. What size are you in cloths?? We'll I'm scheduled for pre-op Aug 18, and my surgery is on Sept 10th getting I've shopping for items that i will need as we'll taking care all the nesscary in the home before the day comes. Count down has started feeling emotional, excited and since don't like to lie nervous. Can't wait to see results. We'll, take care, take it easy for your healing. In my prayers...
Our 3 week surgery-versary! I go back to the doctor this afternoon and I expect him to release me. I'm REALLY DREADING going back to work tomorrow. So much so that I am literally nauseated. I have such a stressful job and my commute is over an hour one way. Feeling depressed again today and feeling guilty about "wasting" so much money. Hopefully getting out today will help. How are you doing with work? How are you feeling? Hope you have a great day!