Overweight and my Doctor Said Yes! - Houston, TX

First, I found this site while researching for my...

First, I found this site while researching for my own answers. I am scared and very nervous about my upcoming procedure. I have chosen to get a 360 circumferential body lift. I have not been out of the 200's since I was about 15 yrs old and quite frankly I am tired of not being able to see my toes and vagina! My highest weight was 309lbs with both of my daughters, this was just a 18 to 20lb weight gain each time. I spent years in the 280's, lost it and was at 199lbs in Aug of 2007. Of course, it was easy with marriage to gain weight and end up the 220's, then 230's, then who knows when it all came back. A year in to separation and finally divorced! THANK GOODNESS! I am happy to say I have been in the 250-60's for about 7 months. I know this is not a huge weight loss, but for me it is much more than that. I have kept it off and that is what is important to me thus far. I am active and everyone that knows me can tell you I am on the track walking and jogging or at our free recreation center 1 to 5 times a week. I do the ab challenges, the squat challenges, you name it. I am a lot more conscious of my food intake than I ever have been before. BUT, I am just big. I feel my best at the weight of 215-220, and ideally that is where I hope to be, even by the end of this year. That may sound crazy, but when if you are like me, you know exactly what I am saying. I am beautiful inside and out. I know this because I get told this way too many times to think otherwise and also because, I can see it. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but guess what? While I am working out and sweating my butt off, I don't want this thing flapping up and down. I don't want to look uncomfortable and I definitely do not want to feel it either. I went to a doctor expecting to be told no on June 25th and I was not! I know a miracle is not about to happen to me from this surgery, but I do know I am going to be more physically fit so that I can get more physically fit, if that makes sense? I think I have a BMI of 39 or 40 and from what I have read, that is unsafe. I also have high blood pressure, but it is under controlled by meds. The doctor did not deny me because of this, so if you are questioning a consultation, just go. Get the answers from them, not from all of us who may or may not be helping. I also have a lot of fat, not just the loose skin. I have yo yo'd a lot in the last 20yrs of my life. I think they realize that some of us are just big and that even if we are active, this flap is not going away. I plan to post some pictures soon and will definitely keep up with the post op as well. I want to inspire one person, the one person who is just like me.

-Kristi 5'7, 260lbs

7/19/14 Before Pics

I am scared and nervous with a hint of excited. I am scheduled for 7/21/14, 2 days away! I have no idea if I am truly ready for this, but here is to jumping in feet first. I have gotten some medical power of attorney paperwork done, vehicle power of attorney, and hugged my coworkers like I may not be coming back. I am a realist and understand, poop happens. With all morbidness to the side, I am trying to get my house in order. I think I have definitely been nesting. I work today and tomorrow, then have surgery bright and early Monday morning, so my mind is racing. I know I am going to forget something!!

I guess I am concerned with compression garments, I own none. I am trying to get a recliner, I know I wont be able to get in my bed. I also have no idea if I should have medical supplies on stand by or do they send me home with stuff??? Anyways... I am going to try and enjoy my next two evenings. My 2 youngest will be with their dad the next 10 days and I get in to worry mode. Anyways with the help of my teenager and amazing boyfriend, I think I can get through the hardest part... the first 10 days post op. =/

Out of Surgery

Woke up from surgery and it felt like I was only out 5 minutes. Everything went well. I'm in slight pain but managing it quoth morphine. I know it will hit me when that drip is out. I want to share with you what is affecting me most. Emotions. I've been so big for so long that my brain isnt understanding such a big part of me is gone. The doctor removed 30lbs of fat/skin. I literally broke down in tears when I sat on the edge of the bed to get up for a bathroom break. I'm so used to my stomach sitting on my legs and it wasn't there. So this is crazy. I'm going to go now, but wanted to update anyone who may be reading my story.

post op day 2

Feeling the burn and plenty of pain. I am very hunched over and a recliner is my best friend right now. As soos as drains are out I will post pics for a better "after" pic.

3 days post op

Cabin fever stir crazy im going a lil coo coo. Managing pain very well. Maybe 2 pills a day. I felt a lil feverish last night but im ok now. I do have some dark purple blochiness. I think its just bruising. Ill post a pic. I see dr tomorrow and over the phone he didnt seem too concerned with it. Anyways im hanging in there. Im just bored out of my mind. Getting up is difficult. Standing too long takes my breath away. Oh and after 3 days of no bowel movement, I finally went. I was not able to wipe myself. Im sure it was the toughest thing my 16 yr old has ever had to do for his mom. =/ I owe him $20 at least. ;)

post op 4 morning

Just had about 7 solid hours of sleep. First time in a week. My back hurts so bad i have no words to describe it. I'm sure it's from skin tightening? My scar will be kind of high on my back it seems. I havent really seen it. As far as the front, the incision is super super low. Its like Iin the crcreases of my thigh/stomach meet up and so low on my pubic area that where I pee from is probably less than an inch away. My "area" is so swollen its nuts. I just assume its because of the cut but man it hurts and the purple blochiness hasnt gone down. I see Dr Casso today, so I will let yall know if this is typical or not. Im extremely miserable right now, its almost 730a and I have to pee so bad but getting up already hurts thinking about it. My boyfriend is asleep and my teenager is asleep. They don't want me moving around on my own but I don't want to wake them. I'll do it solo. =/ I will let you know how the appt goes.

Patiently waiting to get through this first week!!

hematoma? bruising?

Heres a pic of my very low incision and what it looks like 4 days post op.

Congratulations! You are so brave for sharing pictures. I am looking to do a total body lift within the next 2 months and would appreciate if you shared pictures often. I'm extremely excited and eager to learn through others experiences. Best of look! I'm sure you'll look fab!
You are looking great! I'm so happy for you! Keep feeling better!!
Thank you. Going in friday for a check up. I do have a lot of purple blochiness near incision. Right now I'm assuming it's just bruising.
ThisYearEverythingChanges... I'm in search of and doctor at this moment I would love to see your results and consult with your ps...when your feeling better...I'm in California...
Nana, I will keep you updated. I imagine some of he best PS are near you in Calif
Thanks for sharing with use your surgery... Blessing and prayers going your way for your safe healing. Hope to see some pictures...
Congrats...Happy Healing, can't wait to hear a update and see some pictures!!!!
Thank you. I will.
I'm so happy for you. I can imagine it was quite emotional and the journey is just beginning! Keep us updated and take care of you!
Thank you and I will. I want at least 1 or 2 people to read my profile because thats what I wanted when I joined. To find someone kind of like me. I will say this, nothing can be as bad as it was before I went in to that OR room. My teenage son said me a lil while ago that its sad that people have b to go through all this physical pain to get fat/skin off of them. I agree but also explained that the mental pain of living it everyday was worse.
You are going to be so happy with the results. I haven't had my surgery yet but I can only imagine. I don't have nearly as much excess skin so I can only imagine how thrilled you are going to be. I am scheduled for next month so I will be eager to follow your story. Prayers for an uncomplicated surgery and speedy recovery!
Thank you. I'm on a rollercoaster ride. Tomorrow morning is coming waaay too fast! Keep me posted on your surgery. I wish the best for you too.
Looking forward to seeing your amazing results! Who did you choose? I consulted with a couple of surgeons in Houston that had beautiful work on larger women (Cortes and Patronella) I have some metabolic issues and haven't been at a normal weight in years despite exercise and clean eating. I was 196 the morning of my surgery and today weighed in at 180 even with the swelling! I ended up going to a surgeon in Dallas because I wanted the no drain method really badly (I'm super queasy about anything "yucky" lol!)
Oops I was meaning to add that only one surgeon (not the two I mentioned) said anything about my weight. I was really expecting it too. I even asked one point blank and he said many women will never be at an "ideal" weight and what hes most concerned about is a stable weight that can be easily maintained.
hey thanks for the reply to my first post. I do plan to post some pics, but geeze I am pretty nervous about doing it. I will though. im also extremely nervous because 7/21/14 is quickly approaching and I feel like im about deliver a baby! I feel like nesting and doing things around the house that I could have done ages ago yet all of a sudden they seem so important! haha.. my biggest fear is not making it out alive! I have 3 kids that I need and I know they need me. ugh but if I can get past that, im good. not too worried about the drains. I chose Dr. Casso, he is off of Nasa Parkway. I felt super comfortable with his. I see him again next week for pre-op. It will definitely hit me then I know it. I seriously have no miraculous expectations, but I do feel like im making a good decision to do this while Im young enough and have the WANT in me to keep my life on the right track!
Welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss and on maintaining it. Maintaining weight loss is almost the hardest part and you're doing a great job! Good luck with your surgery, please keep us updated and let us know how you progress.