Bracioplasty - Houston, TX

Had bracioplasty on 5-1-13. I am now 4 months out...

Had bracioplasty on 5-1-13. I am now 4 months out and still pretty sensitive. The scar goes from armpit to elbow and have to Say takes some getting use to. I still wear the compressions whenI know I will be over using (ie: cleaning house) to help with swelling. The scars are still red and raised, but my PS assures me when they turn white they will not even be noticed. So I wait for that day. Until then I wear 3/4 sleeves. I think its a mental thing for me.

Arm Lift Scar

Does anyone feel self concious about their scar in short sleeves? Im generally very confident, but its been 9 months and my scar is still very red. I dont want people to see the scar and question me about what happened. its nobodys business. How can i hide the scar (besides makeup)? i tried that and it just gets all over my clothes. Thank You in advance for any suggestions

arm lift update

I had my arms done 1 year ago and I am happy for the most part. The only issue I have is with this banding that occurs when i bend my elbows (see pics). The scars are still very pink, but my body takes a good 2+ years to turn any scar so I'm not to freaked out about that. I am a little surprised about the sensitivity along the scar line though. I guess just like everything else, it just needs more time too.

I have never seen a arm that bands like that before. Do you think over time it will stretch a bit? I know it's been a year. Would a fine thin lipo technic work to lesson the pull in that area? There must be something that can be done to make that banding stop...I have had some sensitivity in my left arm only...not always but it's been over a year, so I wonder when that will be gone completely. It doesn't happen often but when it occurs I am always surprised by it. Since my arms have a lot of hanging skin they were NOT pulled too tight at all, in fact not pulled enough.
My doctor said he could lipo but I'm afraid to do that because my arms are nice and tight. And then other doctors say give it more time. So idk...smh
My arms loosened a lot, as in too much, I am hoping when my new surgeon does the fix at the bottom of each arm about 3 inches that it will be enough to also address the sag....
I had my arms done 5/1/2014 and 90% of my scars are turning white, still some red inthe armpit area but I do have some of that banding when I bend my elbows too...I guess I need to be patient...my problem is with the nerve damage, waiting for the numbness to go away. I have just a little swelling once in a while but I do wear my compression garment whenever I'm home and when I'm sleeping...I feel like it protects me somehow.
Wow! Your scars are turning white fast! Its been over a year and mine are still pink about 1/2 way down. The nerve damage is the worst for me. It is still very tender to the touch, even after all this time. Did your PS say if anything could be done about the banding?
How are you now? Are your arms still painful? Did you have lipo and drains?
i am fine now. i did have lipo and drains. i begged him to take the drains out after 3 days (they were very painful in my armpits) so he did with my promise to keep my arms elevated as much as possible. The scar line is still very tender, due to the nerves i think, and sometimes i can feel tightness after i work out but other than that im perfectly happy!
I go back to my PS in the morning, hoping that he tells me for almost 11 weeks PO that I am right on schedule as far as the healing. I still have some nerve damage pain, some swelling in my upper right arm, some days are better than others and the right is worse than the left. I did not have any lipo and my PS does not use drains. I am going to ask him about the banding...hoping to get copies of my pictures from him to post soon.
please let me know what he says about the banding. i go back to my PS in august. we can compare notes...lol
mrs.impatient, well, PS says my scars are more light pink than white, I guess it's the lighting in my bathroom/bedroom but hubby says pale pink :) PS said the banding will eventually even out, reminding me again about "mother nature taking her time and she wants perfection" and doing some light massaging in that area might help too. I asked about my numbness and he said that nerves repair themselves only about a millimeter a week - mine must be starting from the shoulder down - at that rate it'll be a while but he said that I could be just sitting there one day and all of sudden I won't have the numbness anymore. I'm healing great for just having it May 1st...I think my new middle name needs to be "patience" :)
lol...LoveToShop...thats why my name is Mrs. Impatient! that is interesting to hear about the nerves. my surgery was 14 months ago. As a matter of fact it was on MAY 1, 2013. i just noticed your date is the same 1 year later! i am still VERY sensitive. several PS on here have said to give the banding issue some time, but in my mind 14 months is a long time. i will let you know what my PS says about it too. i go at the end of august. how exciting we have the same anniversary!
mrs....so now I'm having a complication with my right arm. I had a small lump right above the elbow, PS said there was bleeding internally in the arm during my surgery so it could be a small hematoma. Tues out of the blue that area grew and my arm hurt very bad so I kept the compression sleeve on when I went for my 45 min walk, slept in it and when I got up Wednesday , yikes...the area is swollen, the little lump has grown, my arm is red and a bit warm to the touch. I kept it elevated all Tues and Wed night, felt better today, Thurs, but it is still red and swollen...PS is closed until Monday. Would you wait until Monday or should I call the on-call number?
so sorry to hear about this. But No...please do not wait! Call the on call # ASAP! i dont want to scare you, but this is serious. you do not want to throw a clot or it can kill you. Keep me posted please. Lifting up prayers for you that everything will be fine
I think you got a nice result and FYI:I CAN'T SEE ANY SCARS. Smile and enjoy your new arms. Now you can show them off in tanks,tube tops,strapless dresses and spaghetti strap maxi dresses. lol Thanks for sharing your experience as i am 18 days post-op from smart-lipo on my arms and i'm still impatiently waiting for 6 months to come. Bella
Your arms look great!! Thank you for posting pictures, and Congratulations on your beautiful result!
Thank you so much for sharing! It's great to see other people on Realself who have had Brachioplasty, and to be able to follow the healing/ results. I'm now 2 weeks out and loving it! I haven't seen my scars yet, they are under steri strips. Eventually, I'll post a better pic, but what a great difference this surgery makes!! Best wishes, and thank you again!!
Do you have any "bunching" at the end of your scars (down by the elbow)? I do, it was "puffy" there and now the puffy is gone but it looks like the skin is pulled as in if you pull a thread and it bunches...2 inches on one arm and maybe 1 inch on the other...I do think this will need to be recut, but this is something that can be done in the PS's office. This is in the area where my drain tubes were, so I think it was just stretched too much...How about you, any areas that are different from the rest?
I don't have any bunching. My drains were in my armpits and I begged him after 3 days to take them out. So he did with the promise that I would keep my arms elevated and I did. Maybe that's why I still have so much swelling...hummm...but after 4 monthsI would think that should be gone. I bet the bunching will relax and resolve over time.
That's what my PS said, but I'm thinking it will eventually need a small re cut...no biggie... I have heard it's common for people to have a redo surgery to get the results they want...I would not want that but a small fix would be okay
Thanks for posting your review. I'm considering this surgery but I'm worried about the down time. Have you had other scars that have healed well? Are you happy with the shape? Would you do it again? Thanks so much for sharing. It really helps other women considering surgery to hear first hand from women like you.
i did the arms 4 months ago on May 1st. i would absolutely do the arms again. my PS took 2lbs of fat and skin off each arm. and now they are shapely and muscular looking. the scar goes from armpit to elbow but i can deal with that. the scars are still very sensitive to the touch, but it does not stop me from getting things done. now i am waiting for the scars to turn white