Allergic Reaction to Restylane - Tear Troughs - Houston, TX

I have gotten Restylane injections under my eyes 4...

I have gotten Restylane injections under my eyes 4 times previously and never had an issue. In Oct 2011, I received Restylane in tear troughs and Juvederm in nasolabial folds from "med-spa" (nurse inject).

Beginning in Feb 2012, my eyes started swelling and given the last injection was 3 months prior - I assumed it was not the Restylane and went to urgent care believing I had orbital cellulitis. Went through the full gammit of doctors - urgent care, opthamologist, family doctor - and treatment - antibiotics, CT scan.

Finally went to dermatologist and she determined it was the Restylane. Went on round of steroids and went through 3 months of hyaluronidase injections, as well as steroid injections. Last injection was in mid-May. Doctors office never reported to Medicis, so I did (which may explain why adverse reaction reports are low).

Will not be using Restylane again and will be long time before I consider use of fillers under my eyes. Will be looking at laser treatment to tighten the skin under eyes soon.

The HA is finally all gone, but has left even deeper troughs than before. I am getting Radiesse filler from a fantastic dermatology physician group. It doesn't fill as well as the HA fillers, but it does lessen the after-effects from the allergic reaction. I think it (HA allergic reaction) is definitely under-reported!
Hi - I am having the very same issue 6 months out from Juvederm. It's horrible and most doctor's can't understand or believe because reactions are rare and maybe under reported. No more fillers for me. This has been really torturous. Only benefit for me was to get real about loving what is. How are you doing now? Hopefully great!
My eyes look like your photo but I just got mine done yesterday. Is this a bad sign? Or normal swelling for day two? My eyes look like a balloon. It's my first time and I'm worried the nurse put too much in my eyes.
Mine were usually swollen right afterward, but would go down in a day or two. This occurred 6 months after my last injection - and out of the blue!
I think it was less than a syringe - because the nurse used the remainder in my lips.
I would recommend you go to a doctor instead of a medspa. For example, Advanced Dermatology (several locations) has their MDs do this.
how much did you have injected under your eye, if you don't mind me asking?

Can you say where you went? I live in Houston, am a virgin to fillers and have been looking for a med spa to get filler under my eyes! Terrifying. I am so sorry for what you've had to endure!

thank youu very much,i was about to have a fillers under my eye,cos i am scared of operation,but now i am looking for some other options.i look bad enough with HUGEcircles and even dracula method amd mezotherapy didnt help.,no botox and no stem cells...i dont wanna cut my skin under the eye...not sure what else i can try..well...good luck to everyone ...
sorry.. thanks for sharing your story.. maybe people should not use fillers more than 4 times. and under the eyes, risk is more than other areas..
Wow, that's awfu! I never knew you could have an allergic reaction to fillers. This is good to know. Thanks for sharing your story and posting pics. I may have to reconsider the use of fillers for now. All the best with your recovery.
My gosh, I am so sorry that happened to you. Had you always gone to a medi-spa before? Or do you think that's what the mistake was? I've had some pretty bad experiences at a medi/cosmetic-spa that I will be sharing when I'm ready. Hope it heals and you feel better.
- Julia
Twice at a medi-spa and twice at a dermatologist. I am not sure what to think since the reaction was so delayed (3 months after the fact!). However, I will be going to doctor's office going forward.

This is a very helpful and informative review. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure it was scary when you weren't sure what it was, or how long it would last.

You had mentioned you won't be considering fillers under the eyes for a long time, and how could anyone blame you(!), but I'm curious would you try fillers in other places still, or are you just going to avoid them altogether now?

I actually just got Juvederm at a doctors office last week for my nasiolabial folds - looks great, no issues so far. I am just going to stay away from the eyes and Restylane.