28 Years Old, Overbite, Openbite, Invisalign and Braces - Houston, TX

I've had ugly teeth for as long as I can remember....

I've had ugly teeth for as long as I can remember. It's my biggest insecurity, by far, and has hindered me in a lot of ways socially. I finally made the leap to do something about it instead of constantly being unhappy with my smile. Mind you, my insurance doesn't cover for any ortho work so this is all out of pocket. My doc has decided to set me up with Invisalign for the first 3 months then I'll be getting clear braces and will have those for 9 months to a year. I don't know if that'll be long enough to fix my teeth but we'll see. So far, the invisalign is okay. It was really tight as first and cut up the inside of my mouth quite a bit. I filed down the top so it wouldn't cut me anymore and its been fine ever since. Weird thing about my invisalign is my doc is having me wear my first tray for 6 weeks (what?! I know, right? I don't understand why either) My first tray already feels loose so I'm thinking I'm going to make an appointment and tell him what's going on and maybe he'll change how long I'll wear the trays. Anyway, as crazy as it may sound, I feel like I can see my teeth changing already. I actually like wearing my tray and can't wait to see what my smile looks like at the end of this long overdue journey!

Hi, and welcome to our Invisalign community!  Doctors have figured out so many different ways to use Invisalign, it's hard to keep track :).  I've never heard of that particular way, so I'm very excited to see what our RealSelf doctors can tell us about it.  I do know that problems caused by thumb-sucking tend to be extremely difficult to treat, so that might be the reason he's going with a combination.  When you say Clear Braces, are you talking like ceramic braces?  Here on RealSelf, we have a community called Clear Braces, but that's for other brands of Invisalign-type aligners, and I'm guessing that's not what your doctor had in mind.  Do you know if he'll be going for regular or self-ligating?