Many Complications After Surgery...now the Dr. Wants a Re-do! - Houston, TX

I had a full tt with smart lipo of the flanks on...

I had a full tt with smart lipo of the flanks on June 28, 2011. After having 2 c-sections, I had some loose skin that bothered me for years, and I wanted my pre-baby figure back.

Complications began within hours after the surgery. The nurse came in to try and get me up and out of bed. The moment that she tried to stand me up, I started passing out. My blood pressure dropped to 60/40 and she thought that her machine was malfunctioning. After getting another reading from a different bp machine, it was the same. The hospital monitored me, made me eat some lunch, and took the pain pump out. They tried again to stand me up, and I kept passing out. The bp was still very low. At this point, the nurse called the dr. because I was suppose to be discharged from the hospital that day. He ordered another night in the hospital and 2 bags of blood. The next morning I was much better. He came by to visit, but he did not examine me. He wanted to make sure that I knew that none of this was his fault, but that he would pay for my second night's stay in the hospital. I was home by noon. Over the course of a couple of days, I began to swell in my upper abdomen to the point that I was short of breath. I thought this was normal. When I went in for my post-surgery appt., the dr. took one look at me and informed me that I had a "bleeder." My abdomen was full of blood. He said that we were going to see if it reabsorbed back into my body on it's own.

Over the next few days, I felt worse and worse. I made an appt. to see my primary care physician. She took one look at my stomach and my bp (80/60), and she told my husband to drive me immediately to the surgeon's office or to the ER. The surgeon attempted to open my incision on the table in his office later that day to "let it drain." He opened it about an inch before my sobbing made him stop. This was on a Friday, so he wanted me to let it drain over the weekend. I received a phone call from his home on Sunday night. He wanted to check on me, and after hearing that there was no change, he scheduled me in for surgery the next day to "clean me out." After waking from the second surgery, the swelling was gone. My family was instructed to bring me back in 2 days to check for infection, and I was put on very strong antibiotics. By the following Monday, my new incision wasn't healing. I had 2 open holes about an inch deep that I had to pack over the next 8 weeks.

I went in last week for a 4 month post-op. appointment. I am still having issues with swelling and pain in one area. Now he thinks that I may have ruptured internal sutures from the infection. My stomach swells so horribly some days, that I look like I'm about 5 months pregnant. He said that it should be totally flat at this point, and he wants to re-do the entire procedure. I've been crying off and on for days. It was the most expensive mistake I've ever made, and if I could take it back I would in a heart beat. Now he wants me to go through it all again. My stomach looked better before the procedure, and I almost died because of it. I have no idea what to do.

Im looking for a surgeon & like ashfarr Id like to know which surgeon you used if u dont mind sharing,thanks!
I'm sorry to hear the bad news on da tt. I'm really thinking about the tt very soon. If u don't mind me asking Wat surgeon did your tt
hi,
Im sorry to hear about your experience but at least the PS offered to fix it on his dime. Most PS want you to pay still for their fees just a smaller amount. Your PS fixed it and wanted you to be happy. I hope everything is good now wit h your results of the repairs. What doctor did you happen to go to?
After lots of research, I decided to let the doctor re-do the procedure. I came to terms with the fact that I just happened to be the small percentage of patients that had complications. He wanted me to be happy with my results, and wanted to fix everything on his dime. I had surgery on June 14th, and am 13 days post-op today. He wound up doing 1 1/2 hours of repair once he got me open. He said that everything had "come loose", which would explain my bulging upper abdominal area. I had the drains removed on the 4th day, and today is day 13 and I am standing up completely straight. This experience has been totally different than last summer (I was hunched over for 2 months). Although I am still swollen, my stomach is flat. He also did some scar revision, so I'm anxious to see what that's going to look like as it heals. I'm just glad to get this nightmare behind me. If I could do it all over again, I would just live with the loose skin and save my $11,500.
I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary care physician. Hopefully, she can give me some insight and refer me to another plastic surgeon for a second opinion.
So sorry to hear about all your problems from the surgery. Do you trust this doctor to do anything again? Perhaps a 2nd opinion from someone else would be a good start. You could still be healing especially since you had so many complications. And swelling does happen even at 4 months or longer even up to a year.

I can just imagine the depression you are feeling. Wish I had the answers for you. Hopefully you will find support here.
Im so sorry to hear of your complications!! So much to consider before surgery!
Hope things get better!
I feel so bad for you. Wishing better things come your way should you redo.