My First Time Filler Under Eyes is Artefill - Houston, TX

I am middle 40's. I have always taken care of...

I am middle 40's. I have always taken care of my skin by taking lots of B complex vitamins, and all other vitamins for skin, especially vitamin C which promotes collagen. I never go in the Sun, and always wear powerful sun screen for the most minimal exposure. So I never needed collagen or botox. In the last year I just felt that my eyes were looking tired. The first thing I did 6 months ago was CO2 laser resurfacing (my story and pics are on Real Self) and I loved the results, except that it did not tighten the sunken in area of my lower lids from the nose to the center of my lower eye. This area greatly bothered me. I felt I would look much more awake and youthful if I could only fix that sunken in area. The rest of my eyes were acceptable to me. So I logged onto Real Self and asked some doctors how to correct this and they all said that filler was the way to do this.

I know some doctors cautioned about getting fillers that are too thick for the thin skin area under the eyes, but I had heard Artefill, though thick, lasted 5 yrs or permanent and that greatly appealed to me rather than going back every year for other fillers.

I was willing to take the chance that it might be too thick. I also researched on Real Self the fact that if Artefill is injected and overfilled that it can be massaged immediately after to disperse the overfill.

I had never had a single filler or botox around my eyes so I did not know what to expect at all. I imagined slight bruises and that I'd look okay to go to work the same day.

Holy crap, not so! I went to a houston clinic that I was giving a second chance before I judged whether I'd return there again. My appt was at 11:30 am. I drove from Galveston, Texas to SW Houston. When I got there the staff seemed unprepared. I am not exaggerating that they took me into a room and told me to get comfortable and then came in 3 more times and asked me to move to another room so they could do other pts. The problem was that that clinic location did not have Artefill in stock and had to drive to the Galleria location to pick it up. Finally in the last room they put lidocaine around my eyes and let it soak in.

The doctor finally knocked on the door and came in telling outright that Artefill is permanent, and if I do not like it he can not take it out. I will be stuck with my decision. Otherwise it's a good filler, but he'd have to go deep into the tissue because the lower lid skin is very thin and Artefill is very thick. Then he started telling me about the fact that 80% of the filler will eventually be absorbed by my body, then the 20% of microbeads in Artefill is what continues to build collagen. So I might see swelling then actual decreased volume, but in 3 months I will see the greatest results... So then I started feeling greatly confused. I started wondering if he was saying the filler might decrease in volume enough that it wouldn't look like I got anything done ... was he saying Artefill disappears and my $600 injection per eye = $1,200 was going to decrease a lot or a little? I know regular fillers are immediate and last for 6 months to a year pretty much keeping their volume. I had read that Artefill is great and last 5 yrs so I had to shake off what he was saying as me just misinterpreting what he was explaining and tell him to go ahead and do it. He explained that this is a different filler and so on. I was there and ready and told him to just go for it.

On the first eye he hit a blood vessel and that eye swelled greatly. Then the other eye seemed to go smoothly. When he handed me the mirror I was greatly horrified. I had assumed filler injections around the eyes would be so mild that I could just dab on a little cover over minimal bruises and leave better looking than before. Oh, crap was I wrong. My eyes were so violently swollen and asymmetrical that I didn't even trust that he injected the eyes evenly.

(I had gone to the same doctor 3 years ago and bought 3 syringes of Perlane for the commas around my mouth and one side was flat and one side didn't look adequately filled. I left with an uneven face. I didn't know if this was because of his skill or because everyone's face is slighly asymmetrical and perhaps I needed more filler on that other side. I kind of expect that a skilled doctor can analyze that and fill accordingly. I didn't blame the doctor then. I didn't feel happy with the result. I'm not a complainer, and maybe it was just my face. So I came back to the same clinic 3 yrs later for Artefill because most other clinics do not sell Artefill anymore. I would give the clinic the benefit of doubt, and try them again.)

After I saw the swollen uneven distorted condition of my eyes, I told the doctor that this happened last time I came, and I felt unhappy leaving uneven, and now I was scared that this might be the result of the physician and I asked him to come back in the room, but he seemed unconcerned. He said sometimes this happens, and lots of pts think that the injection was not done right because of swelling...and sometimes hitting a blood vessel is just something that happens. He said to let him know how I am doing in 3 months and walked out.

The filler looked so uneven I started to massage the overfilled swollen one immediately. I applied pressure to disperse any overfill and kept massaging it for 72 hours and now it's starting to even out. I've been putting warm compresses on it for 20 minutes 3 times per day and doing light circular massage to help the bruising.

Maybe the physician is correct. Maybe this is normal or one of the hazards. I am glad to see that since my massaging and warm compresses it is turning out just fine, like the physician said it would. So maybe I should not blame this on the physician's skill. I just want readers to know exactly what can happen, and what to do if they feel their is overfill. You must massage it immediately. If you wait weeks, a month or two it will already be set.

It's day 5 and I had to return to work again...

It's day 5 and I had to return to work again with black shiner's around my eyes. Now the bruising is black and green so everyone at the hospital where I work kept asking if I was okay. Yep, just vanity gone wrong:) The swelling has evened out, but I bet it would not have had I not read on Real Self to massage the uneven overfill. I still am not certain if I should have massaged it or just left it alone, but one can see the ridges of the Artefill, and it did not look even and it did look bumpy, so massaging it evenly dispersed it. I think it was helpful info.

Having no prior experience in eye fillers I had no idea, but now I know what is involved. Be prepared that you might have some downtime.

I'll post some pics after the bruising heals.

It's day 7 and I only see minimal plumping...

It's day 7 and I only see minimal plumping effect from the Artefill. My bruising is healing, and at least I'm not permanently damaged. Maybe this is the deflation that the doctor told me. If it is it is so different than other fillers that stay plumped. Hopefully those micro beads in Artefill will fill in the rest of the indentions, otherwise I have to pay to get another filler. I'll post up to day 10. Then post a pic at 3 months. To show readers if any improvement happens. I hope I can wait that long before wanting to run to the nearest real cosmetic surgeon and get another filler. I wanted smooth flatness under my eyes. This is not that.

I had high hopes for Artefill, but feel let down. ...

I had high hopes for Artefill, but feel let down. I don't know if my lack of results was the product or doctor's skills? The bruising healed within 12 days but the product deflated as if nothing was ever injected. $1,200 wasted.
I have to wonder if this is what the doctor meant when he told me that I would see a deflation of product? Then he said in about 3 months the micro beads will plump up. Who the heck wants to wait 3 months. I really really wonder and want to ask Doctors if they use Artefill and if they see the product disappear within 10-12 days? If they see tangible improvement over a couple of months or is this hogwash? (Sorry I have not posted more pics. I took them each day of healing and deflation, and have to download them. My computer was in the shop getting repairs.) Now I have to definitely say not worth it, I am suspicious that the doctor didn't have the product upon my arrival, and had to go retrieve some and I really really wonder if he actually injected Artefill. If so the product didn't work on me. I believe that I could have gotten the bruising no matter what filler I used. That is one of the hazards of injecting anywhere. I am just shaking my head in disbelief that my whole $1,200 went for no result at all. It is as if I did nothing at all! If you are planning on any filler what so ever you need to give yourself at least 10-15 days of healing just in case you end up bruising. After experiencing this I could never ever believe in those "Lunch time beauty treatments" where some doctors advertise you can go in at lunch time and come out looking refreshed and beautiful ready to go. UMMMMMMM NO.

Okay...one month has passed since my first time...

Okay...one month has passed since my first time injection. The results are not impressive. I have a permanent blue mark under one eye. Perhaps the product or the blood vessel that died when accidently injected. Here are the one month photos: I wanted Artefill to fill my tear trough area. It didn't. That was one 0.8 cc syringe per eye.

Are you ready for my 3 month post Artefill...

Are you ready for my 3 month post Artefill injection photo where the doctor claimed I'd see the best result. There was absolutely no miraculous collagen building. My lower tear trough area still looks sunken in. And there is a permanent dark mark under the one eye in the crease where he injected. I've heard others say this happen to them too. I feel so disappointed. I really had high hopes for Artefill, and the product let me down and took my $1,200 and did nothing but bruise me and leave me with zero results. The other day I heard a commercial for another slow building filler named Scultra. The commercial said 'Sculptra builds collagen slowly because no one aged overnight and you wouldn't want to anti-age overnight...' Bullcrap! I want a filler that works immediately so I leave the dr. office looking years younger immediately. I'd never choose a slow acting filler ever again, or even believe in one. Not no, but heck no. I want to see the results for my money right in the dr's office and leave feeling beautiful and refreshed. Remember my dr told me that if I wait 3 months the micro crystals in Artefill will fill in the creases and continue to build collagen...Look at my 3 month photo below and look and the permanent dark mark in the injection crease. Not happy.

My birthday is coming up on Oct 27th and there is...

My birthday is coming up on Oct 27th and there is an opening that day at the Cosmetic surgery clinic.I am going to UTMB (where I am employed) to a board certified plastic surgeon to get Juvaderm injected under my eyes. I'm getting a great price of $425 per 1cc syringe so I'm getting one per eye. No more trips to these special discount beauty clinics.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do the days before to prevent bruising. I must go to work the very next day. I'll post photos.

Note: I just got diagnosed with a stomach ulcer and can't take the usual vitamin C and am on a very bland diet. I can't take any supplement that irritates the stomach. I have vitamin E but some cosmetic procedures actually advise against taking it before procedures so I'm confused what to do to help minimize bruising. Can anyone offer advice. I know Juvaderm will fill in my tear troughs immediately, unlike my bad results of Artefill. This is my present to myself. I like to look my very best and I deserve a pick me up. I can hardly count down the days till the 27th. I do expect some bruising because the tear trough has a lot of blood vessels. I'll post results as soon as I get it done. Juvaderm might not last 5 yrs, but at least it will work for about a yr. I can live with that.

Months later, after no results from Artefill, I...

Months later, after no results from Artefill, I found a wonderful place called Oasis Spa in Webster, Texas owned by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Todd Adams and his wife.

There I got the most professional injection of both Juvaderm Ultra, Botox and Perlane and was very please with the result. To see this just click on the Blue "T in Texas" to read my other posts. Thank you.
Dr. Keshwani, M.D. MedCure Anti-Aging

The staff @ Med Cure Anti Aging and Skin Care had my appt schedule weeks in advance, but didn't have my product in stock when I arrived. It was weird for them to keep shuffling me from room to room 3-4 times so they could do other pts. Dr. Naz. Keshwani did not seem concerned about my fears, he just did the procedure and spouted off a few replies and left the room. The told me let him know in 3 months how things go... He said his pts tell him he makes them beautiful. I told him I didn't feel beautiful leaving all swollen and asymmetrical, and how a pt feels is important. I said if this didn't come out even I may never return, but if it comes out okay I might just accept that I had no idea what to expect with no prior experience of fillers around my eyes. Maybe It will turn out okay. There was nothing discreet about this procedure. I could not hid the bruising or swelling with the thickest makeup.

WOW! I am so for all your horrible experiences. I have only gone to Hope Harris at Aegea Medi Spa in The Woodlands, who works with my plastic surgeon Dr Thomas Shannon. All have been extremely professional from consultant to follow-up. I met them in 2008 when Dr Shannon fixed a botched BA from another Dr. Hope has become a friend while resurfacing my face from old acne scars, refreshing my crowlines wrinkles with botox and getting ready now for my first Artefill. And I completely trust her. She has never let me walk out the door feeling insecure or ugly! I always feel like a beautiful new woman. With two new babies, in my mid-40s, she's a miracle worker!
i had a tiny amount of juvaderm done in serial puntures under my eyes almost a year ago, and the areas are still 'plump enough' that i don't need any more at this writing.
everything i've read says that the skin below the eyes is too thin for artefill. technically, it's only approved for the smile and marionette line areas, but doctors do use it in a lot of other places. it doesn't do any good to mention at this point, but for anyone else considering a filler below the eyes, actually any ha based filler would last along time there because the body makes new collagen, even with temporary ha -based fillers.
Do not ever inject Artefill in unindicated areas. If the placement is even slightly off, you are faced, no pun intended, with a permanent PPMA deposit. If you cannot resist the urge, go to a very well versed physician who has ample training. Trust me as a heath care professional, if you have the training, you can convey this confidently and without elusive or defiant behavior. My vanity placed me in the predicament of misplaced Artefill under my one eye. My conscience tells me to share this warning with others. Also, avoid Medispas, no matter how experienced the physician claims to be in injectables. If they are truly experienced, they do not need Medispa to be supplementing their income.
I agree and thanks for sharing this. Seems that 62% people like artefill and also the fat transfer so I really think the key is in the skill of the application so clearly this is NOT something to get at discount spa or by someone who doesn't do it REGULARLY. I'm considering getting it from a board certified facial plastic surgeon who ONLY does faces and he teaches artefill to other doctors in the area. He was talking about putting in the corners of my eyes and I'm going to have to reconsider that as maybe I should just try something like juvaderm first and see how I like it as I want it for the wrinkles that only show when I smile. I think he said that in 8 years, only had to remove a nodule twice.
For the people that did receive Artefill, you should consider yourselves lucky that it didn't last. I had Artefill injected in my chin 2 1/2 years ago and there is still a lump where she overfilled the area. I keep hoping that one day it will go away and the area will be flat again --but if it has lasted this long, I think it's here to stay. Would of been great if done right!
Have the doctor do cortisone injection in lump...go every month until it is gone. I had silicone years ago & had many lumps. My dr used cortison & he reduced them quite a bit. Good luck and INSIST on this!

I can not say who told me they have had "10 or more syringes of filler in their face this year"and they are in their 20's, but this is a reality. I'm thankful for honesty. Young women and old are injecting a lot of syringes. I wanted to know why certain people look so perfect without hardly a single line and I got most to admit they've had a lot. Most of these did not use Artefill, it was other fillers. I really truly suggest that you never use Artefill unless you have already filled your lines with something else and just want to add Artefill in-between and hope it ever build in your skin. If Artefill was 50% permanent filler balls and 50% bovine you might get a result, but otherwise, prepare to deflate. I think it does not work on a huge number of people and then patients are so upset. This is sad because first time patients are trying to feel better about their self and shelling out an awful lot of money, usually for a special event only to feel cheated by Artefill. (If you have the money for 6-10 syringes then you might as well get a face lift Or be prepared to have a ongoing upkeep.) I wanted to say to everyone who has commented, thank you. It's too hard to have to sign in, list my user name and also my email for every single response. I do read these and try to answer now and then.

SEVEN syringes? wtf? I mean, that's crazy.....does anyone know if that's how many it takes (and apparently more) to get anything at all? Oh -- also, joan198, don't feel bad as that'[s far less money wasted than many others. At least you didn't get adverse results like bumps or anything? Also -- one more very important thing. I know that the initial collagen that surrounds the spheres dissipates and looks like you didn't get anything, but collagen takes time to build, so maybe you will get better results in a few months? I think that's how it works but not sure, just what I have read on here. Keep us updated please!

got artfill about four or five months ago. I had no brusing what so ever however, It was suggested to me that they use a cangula which misses the vessels. Of course it was $100 more but well worth it. Again I had seven syringes, really I see very little difference my cheeks are alittle fuller, I do have nice cheek bones but I all ready had those. After $4000 dollare I feel I was taken and will never go to a beauty clinic again ever.

What a total bummer! I've read about that cangula which that doctor should have used and avoided the blood vessel. I once spent about $800 on silicon 1000 in my lips and I barely notice any difference but fortunately nothing bad happened over time either. I really wish you would share some pictures as it is hard to believe you have no result whatsoever. Most clinics do before and after pictures Did the doctor show you before and after pictures of HIS WORK? What is his response to this?

I hear you about your concerns with artefill. I have had 6 artefill so far. I'm 44 and look good for my age. However I must tell you that it's so important that you go to someone who is an "expert injector" of artefill. My doc is a national trainer on the filler. You really can't get full results with one artefill. It's usually one artefill per side of face and depending on the person to reach full correction you may require several injections. But this is done slowly over time because it's permanent and you can always add more but can't take it away. Riveria laser studios in Dana point ca is where you should go.

In Tampa Florida, Dr. Richard Castellenjo has been using it for 8 years and he is the one who is training other doctors so that's who I would go to and he said I need 6 syringes around my face and eyes as well. He did talk about little at a time so not sure if that means not putting it in all at once or what so I'll have to ask him more questions as I really wasn't well enough prepared when I had the consult.
I had one syringe injected under my eyes (1/2 each) three weeks ago. I had a lot of bruising and swelling. I had the procedure on a Friday, and within 4 days a lump formed in my tear trough area on my left eye. It has not gone down, and the spa told me that it was the bovine collagen that had not left my body yet. They assure me that it will go away, but it is still the same size and I see no indication that is going away. Has anyone had a lump that went away after the the first 4-6 weeks? The spa won't inject it with anything yet because they want to wait until the collagen leaves my body. Any insight (good or bad) is appreciated.
I had artefill and after 4 months have hard lumps under both eyes and the wrinkles stand out more than before.Also have 2 nodules on left side of mouth and one on right, each are the size of the tip of your index finger.I wish I had never heard of artefill.My Dr. asked if I had trouble with scaring, which I don't so his solution was to add restalyne beside noules under eyes to help even them out.Didn't work.Have had consult with plastic surgeon.
This is a tough one, but I would suggest cortisone injected into that lump. Collagen doesnt dissapate that quickly...it could be there for months. Get rid of it with a steroid. I used to get collagen injections as fillers before HA's came along. Cortisone is cheap & easy for doc to do. Please look into this. Go to another doc if u must, but the person who did this should do it gratis until it is gone!!!
Again, cortisone is the only antidote to get rid of lumps from artefill. I had silicone years ago...I know all too well!
Yes, does sound like you need to see a plastic surgeon who can remove it. Good luck.
I had a tiny amount of silicon 1000 in my lips in 2009 and didn't have any bad reaction other than I felt like there was barely any noticable difference...Maybe over the years collegen has formed as my lips might be a little fuller but not worth the 800.
First of all, I was really interested in getting my undereyes injected, and I went with a temporary filler first (restylane). I'm really glad that I did, because it doesn't look quite like I expected (I'm not sure what I think yet), and I'd hate to be stuck with something permanent that I don't like. Second, I did bruise and the doctor was clear that I should avoid heat and massage, and in fact that continually massaging a bruise can lead to permanent discoloration! So there's some info for readers out there.
After reading all this, I'm thinking this is the best advice particularly around the eyes as for myself, I've never had anything injected and I want to see what the result would be as I'm really looking for something to affect the folds of undereye wrinkles when I smile.
ValRN, I can attest that Artefill does not work at all for some. I had two vials injected in naso-labials and marionette lines in April '10, and two more injected in August '10. To this day I have not seen even a slight improvement.
Don't you have a before and after picture? Maybe you needed more and just not enough product. Most people would think I don't have hardly any naso-labials and marionette lines but I see it and the doctor said I need 6 vials in my whole face and he trains other doctors. I once had a little restalyne and Juvaderm in that area and it was also barely noticable... I think it was 2 and one half vials total and there was a difference but not to my satisfaction and I didn't want to spend more on something that wasn't permanent.
Also, a top of the line fractional C02 laser (the type ONLY a doctor can operate)can safely be done right on top of filler being placed.
I currently have 8 syringes of Artefill in my face and LOVE it! 5 were placed about 10 weeks ago with 1/2 syringe placed under each eye. The last three were placed last week right before my Fractional C02 laser treatment (another 1/2 syringe under each eye) I am an RN Aesthetic Injector and where I work we ONLY inject Artefill under the eyes. Juvederm and other hyaluronic acids can pull in too much hydration and give a puffy look under the eyes whenever you retain fluid and can also give a Tyndal effect (blue streak). Artefill has none of these side effects. At our office we offer many things that cut down on bruising, nerve blocks with epi, ICE, blunt tip cannulas that push aside veins rather than piercing them! We often place a 5 pack of Artefill in a patient and end up with no bruising at all. It sounds like you may have gotten a bit of PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) if you still have a bruise type discoloration on your skin a month or more out. A person with any ethnic color in their skin can get this reaction. Bottom line is, when anyone is looking to get Botox, fillers, laser…..when you go in for your consult, ask tons of questions, tell the injector what bothers you and ask for his/her opinion of how they would treat your concerns. Go with your gut, if they are not 100% patient with you and answering intelligently then walk away and keep looking. Our office has been injecting Artefill for 5 years, if you are going to get Artefill injected, go to a top selling office for Artefill, Artefill is best placed with a micro droplet technique which is truly an art form. It shouldn’t just be slammed in by someone who doesn’t use it on a weekly basis. I have had Juvederm and Radiesse in the past and I can honestly say that I have never had anything feel more natural than Artefill and at 48… my under eye area (along with the rest of my face) looks amazing : ) Also, to help cut down on and treat bruising, start taking Arnica and Bromelain tablets several days before your injections and for a week after. Traumeel cream is very helpful to put on bruises 2 to 3 times a day. Ask your Aesthetic office if they have a laser to treat your bruise…we do! Most people are going to want 1 to 3 treatments in the under eye area depending on age and how well your body builds around the spheres (the permanent aspect), it is considered the industry standard to only inject ½ syringe under each eye at a time and to wait 4-6 months for the next treatment. When you are satisfied, you should be happy for at least the next decade!