Smart Lipo "Upper Abs, Lower Abs, Flank" - Houston, TX

I had my smart lipo performed today. But First I...

I had my smart lipo performed today. But First I must extend HUGE thank you to those who have shared before me because I was more prepared for this procedure than ever possible without you.

After seeing another local doctor and leaving in shock over the quoted price, I followed the referral of someone on this site and was told about another local doctor. After my consultation and subsequent fantastic quote, I was ready to go.

I went in for blood work about 2 weeks ago and was measured and consulted on all to be expected and I was again put at ease about this procedure. I weighted in at 138lbs and my height is 5'5". My age is 44.

I have always had a thin build but since I hit my 40's no matter what strict diet and rigorous exercise program I followed, the muffin top was not disappearing. Dr. Mac said this particular section (lower abs) is inherited and would never leave. Nice to know now!!

Anyway, I followed many other recommendations on here and started taking Arnica a week ago to help with the bruising and swelling. Also purchased some loose fitting clothing from Salvation Army for $6 so I could get them all stained with the blood tinge and discard them. Since I had refused to buy the next size up in my clothing - I had no loose clothing to wear.

I grabbed a bite to eat on my way to the office. I took my meds with me and I was given 2 tylenol with codeine (as I am allergic to vicodin) and 2 valium. Once they kicked in, I changed clothes into the office gown and was marked up by the doctor and pictures were taken. They took my vital signs and I was laid down on the table.

From the beginning of this procedure, until the very end I never experienced any pain or discomfort. It kind of had a funky strange feeling but nothing resembling pain. And when he finally got to the suction part, it tickled me so bad that I could not stop laughing the entire time. It was actually fun. Since your totally awake during the whole procedure, I had stimulating conversation with the doctor and the nurses which made it pass quickly and reduced anxiety.

Now, for the compression garment...I feel like I am wrapped up like a cannoli. It is a little difficult to get into and I have already had to change the maxi pads due to drainage. Remember, lots of drainage is very good...you want as much out as possible.

My procedure started at 1 and I was out by 2:45. Though I must say this crotchless compression garment is a trip when you use the restroom...it just is...it is bizarre to use the restroom without pulling something down..LOL

I am able to walk around fine but I know I need to rest. I covered my car seats with a plastic table cloth and old towel but that really wasnt necessary. However I did the same thing for my bed and it is much needed as I am really draining.

It is 7:00 pm now and I am starting to feel some pain but not too much (yet).

I am already sick of laying on my back but I know I had better get used to it. I usually sleep on my stomach so this should be fun. I have some ambien on standby but I really hate to take that stuff. Especially since I am supposed to drink a lot of water and we all know what happens then!!

I hope to post pics when I have some available.

I will update you again tomorrow.

DAY TWO: On a pain scale of 1-10; while laying in...

DAY TWO: On a pain scale of 1-10; while laying in bed=3; getting in and out of bed=8; once I am up and moving around=5.

I am glad that the doctor only made 2 incisions; each just above each side of c-section scar so I am able to sleep on my side.

I could probably get away with no pain meds but I am taking them because they help me rest.

Some swelling but no bruising (so far). I continue to take the Arnica to help with that. I am drinking lots of water so I am up and down a lot. I just took a shower and I have not really needed much help doing anything.

Washing the compression garment was irritating because hand washing does not get the blood tinge out of it (even with peroxide). I was told not to put it in the dryer so I pressed the water out with a big towel and now I am trying to utilize this Texas heat to hang dry the garment outside (probably as hot as the dryer though...hahaha)

DAY 3: Spent most the night going to the bathroom...

DAY 3: Spent most the night going to the bathroom and dying of thirst but slept well between trips. My pain has almost completely gone. The only thing I am experiencing now is soreness from the swelling. I still have no bruising and my drainage has completely stopped. While I have gotten out of the house to run errands early, I am taking it easy for the most part.

I am taking daily pictures of my stomach however I don't have a before picture to compare it to so I hope the doctor will provide me one. I do have a picture of all the fat they sucked out but most people seem to not want to see it...do you?

DAY 4: No pain only a little soreness from the...

DAY 4: No pain only a little soreness from the mild swelling. I spent the day walking and shopping with no problem however I did take an Advil this morning. I slept on my stomach last night which was awesome but still I am so darn thirsty I can't seem to drink enough water so I did spend the evening with intermittent sleep and trips to the bathroom. I continue the Arnica, antibiotics but not the pain meds.

Now my abdomen is tender to touch and hard in some places and lumpy in others however I was told to expect this so I am not going to be concerned.

DAY SIX: for some reason I am feeling more...

DAY SIX: for some reason I am feeling more swollen and more sore than in previous days. I am having trouble sleeping at night and its making me cranky during the day. I am ready to be out of this first compression garment as the zipper is rubbing irritations on my flanks. Tomorrow is my first post op and I get another garment so hopefully it will be less irritating and a lot of questions and concerns will be addressed.

As for the appearance, still very tender (but no bruising), several lumps. I look very bloated which is attempting to discourage me but I am trying to resist. It is too early to judge as yet.

DAY 7: my post op was today...gained a pound but...

DAY 7: my post op was today...gained a pound but I had just eaten lunch so maybe that was it. Got my new compression garment and I cant believe how tight this thing is but somehow I got into it. I like this garment much better because it is without the zipper and hooks. I am experiencing a bit of an itch and rash on my flanks which then nurse said treat with lotrimin and/or benedryl cream.

I was not happy when the nurse told me that people who are slender to begin with...experience swelling much worse and for much longer than heavier people.

I have just not felt well this week probably from not being able to fully sleep on my stomach all through the night and get a good nights rest (going to the restroom multiple times thru the night) and it is catching up with me. I am just dragging through the day with a struggle finding energy...almost mimicking depression.

WOW....had my first abdominal massage yesterday...

WOW....had my first abdominal massage yesterday and it was very painful and I had more than normal swelling that evening; however today I have had very little discomfort and swelling so it definitely is beneficial to get them often. I just booked 2 a week at 1/2 hour for now. The burning feeling during the massage is just too difficult to endure for an entire hour at this point in my recovery.

I am right around week 7 and I feel the twice...

I am right around week 7 and I feel the twice weekly abdominal massages are helping tremendously. I have a few dimples on my lower ab and some loose skin but I am starting to see improvement in these areas. I no longer wear the compression garment while I sleep and it is just too irritating. The compression garment provided with my surgery causes a lot of skin irritations so I am pretty much only wearing Spanx during the day. The material is just so much more comfortable. I still feel the burning sensation at times and experience slight discomfort during massages. I only experience swelling occasionally but that has almost completely subsided as well. I can really see great definition in my flanks but I still have "hard" areas on each side of my flanks in identical positions and she is working on them with each massage. I am starting to feel better about my decision to have this surgery but it has been discouraging up until now with the dimples and loose skin. I am taking pictures regularly and will try to remember to upload the pictures soon.
Dr. Robert McWilliams