Horrific Experience - Extremely Painful - Would Not Recommend to Worst Enemy

I went into my procedure 5'6", 120lbs, age 44 with...

I went into my procedure 5'6", 120lbs, age 44 with a few trouble areas: outer thighs, upper/lower tummy, back rolls, mozilla side boobs. I am very fit for my age - no kids. However, I suffered life-altering injuries 20 yrs ago and I was in a wheelchair for 1.5 yrs. Due to the difficult recovery from that accident, I developed problem areas of fat that won't go away and now have significant cellulite issues.

I am very modest but in the Summer like to wear a midriff which I have not done in 20 yrs since my accident because I hated my stomach appearance. I thought SmartLipo was the answer - I have done mesotherapy, countless workout routines including personal fitness training etc and nothing worked. I only wanted my tummy done but after consulting with a prominent La Jolla doc, who said SmartLipo is a piece of cake and urged me to do the other areas...gee, I am already under anaesthesia..., off I went to surgery.

I had five areas done in Nov 2007. My outer thighs are smooth as a baby's butt!!! My stomach is ruined with lumps and sagging skin - I cannot believe I ruined my nice body over a little protruding tummy...it hurts like hell too. I take Vicodin every couple hours just to get through the day.

Recovery wise, I could not get dressed for 6 days. My crotch is bigger than my dog's head. My back boobs and love handles are slightly improved but I am still horribly swollen and bruised so only time will tell. One side of my waistlibe is more sculpted than the other and on my small frame it really is obvious.

It was the most painful thing I have experienced in my life - I have been through a lot and am a "tough" girl when it comes to pain - this was awful. despite the results, I would never have willingly gone through the recovery - I was not well-informed.

[Editor's note: this review was originally published under Liposuction and was moved to the Smart Lipo reviews in May 2008.]

My stomach appears to be permanently disfigured from the initial procedure. I have tried everything to fix my initial results which were horrible. It does look better but I cannot look at myself naked in the mirror or in the shower. The skin is taught or loose in areas and there are many lumps. Believe me, I have tried everything and spent a lot of hope filled dollars on Thermage, Lipodissolve, 3 rounds of Smartlipo with another doctor, and exercise. I figure now I am permanently disfigured from the above-named doctor. My best advice to anyone small in size who is considering this procedure is to simply not do it -

I had smart lipo done a year ago and your stomach looks just like mine. I am small too but just wanted to get rid of my pooch without losing my boobs. My stomach now looks terrible. It's soooo depressing. I feel deformed. :-((

Wow, I hear of horror stories but, yours scared me. I have been looking into getting the smart lipo with Dr. Schafer he is known as Dr. smart lipo. I actually looked at Dr. Kincaid first... go figure. Glad, I chose to check out other doctors. How are you doing now?

Four years later and it's better but horrific. I...

Four years later and it's better but horrific. I am finally willing to add some pictures. I have tried just about everything - now whats left is a tummy tuck with a huge ugly scar.

Did you actually need a full tummy tuck?!
I'm sorry you had to go through that and will pass along that info for those considering smart lipo. To me you really did look good but I'm sure you feel better now!

6 yrs later . . . Tummy tuck was only real remedy to the deformities.

6 yrs later, I could not find any "non-invasive" treatment to resolve the deformities left by the Smart Lipo. The final resolution was to do a full tummy tuck and suffer having a big scar. B/c I have not had kids, I did not need muscle repair. I am now 6 days post op and hoping to have the drain removed tomorrow. The pain is much less than I expected and I am not really uncomfortable. I will post photos as soon as I am able.

I am advocating AGAINST Smart Lipo for anyone that is of light frame . . . it is not the answer to trouble spots and will likely end as mine did.

7 days post op from FULL tummy tuck . . .

After 6 yrs of various attempts to "fix" the botched Smart Lipo, here I am having had a full tummy tuck to cure the defects. It's still not perfect but it's a heck of a lot better.

Tummy Tuck 8 days post op

Still have drain in and compression garment very uncomfortable. Not sleeping through the night comfortably yet.

Needed a sneak peek . . .

I'm liking what I see here . . . ;D
LOOKING GOOD!!!! Recover soon!
TY - I hope this is the last attempt to fix my stomach. ;D

Side by Side Abdomen photo

After multiple attempts to fix the bad Smart Lipo, I finally feel like I will look more normal. Sadly, now I have a huge TT scar but it's better than what I was dealing with so, I'll take it.
Love your results!! Enjoyed your review, but then you made me hurt!!!! :( ! Your comment about your crotch being bigger than your dogs head made me laugh and I can't stop! Had tears rolling down my face even.. I needed a good jolly laugh, just the timing is off- would not have hurt as much- let's say in a week or so, lol. :) thanks girl!
LOL!  It was too!! I think the TT has the side effect of reducing that area . . . . I feel tighter there now.  ;D  Happy healing gf.
Ummm. Ya, it's defiantly taken on some changes :) so the bonus of the TT is a little lift and tighten there too, hahaha. Hey maybe be a good thing- might make things new and improved? Lol. Will see in a few weeks!

I'm very happy with this result

Day 09 post op from FULL Tummy Tuck. Looks like it will be really cut when the swelling is gone.

Day 09 progress

Making progress . . . hmm, where is the swelling?
So glad you are happy with your results! You look great!!
TY . . . hope to get my drain out tomorrow. . . how are you doing?
I'm doing good, wish my energy levels were higher but in due time I suppose, did you get your drains out? I hope so! :)

Surgery almost derailed!

I was bitten on my belly the day before surgery and it almost derailed my TT as it was right where the incision was supposed to go on my left hip. Thankfully, I convinced my doc that he was going to cut that skin away so I did not think he needed to be concerned - he was concerned anyway and put me on Cirpo.
Omg was that a spider bite?? That's incredible! A TT sounds like the perfect treatment for that! ;)
Yes . . . a dang spider almost derailed my TT surgery.  Ugh.  I'm happy with my recovery and results so far. . . only time will tell but it's looking very good.
I'm so glad that didn't stop him from going forward, and it's a good thing nothing else came of it. Spiders and what they can do are so ScArY!!

11 dpo TT scar

This scar is not that bad and will only improve from here.
That's good like I think it was kimm told me to go buy some bling and I bought a watch for myself. So you go buy something nice for yourself as well.
Does the purchase of the surgery count?  ;D   I fear I will be broke for awhile . . .
I didn't pay over a 100 dollars for my watch but yes it can. I'm in the same shape you are in too. I just had so many problems with mine , I needed a little pick me up.

Day 12 photos

No pain today, fully upright, normal energy level . . . scar is tiny and I feel really happy today. Having coffee and gonna sit in my office to work.

Day 12 before n after

FYI: Schedule a housekeeper when doing this surgery!

So I looked at my hardwood floors with a huge GASP!!! My dogs have created very large dust bunnies. My hubby has been a fantastic caregiver but I guess he forgot how to sweep and dust over the course of our marriage. Anyway, I'm exhausted from sweeping and taking a break - it sucks. I highly recommend securing a housekeeper at least once a week until you're back on your feet . . . for those of us who do not have housekeepers.
I've already had the regular one and have loose skin above my bb. From what I have read, it the incision needs to be anchored into the deep tissue to prevent this from happening. I think it's something that not all PS's feel comfortable with, for sure. Thanks for your response.
You look great! Can I ask why none of the docs you consulted would do a Reverse tt?
Every doc stated to me that the Reverse TT left an ugly scar that over time widens and drops due to exercise and gravity.  The lower one is really your best option particularly if you do not need muscle repair as the healing time is sharply reduced.  I thought that I really wanted the reverse TT but am thrilled I opted for a normal one instead.

UPDATE

For those of you following my TT procedure, I've just done a new review and posted photos.

Never thought I'd wear this bikini

I bought this bikini 6 yrs ago and just removed the tags this morning . . . gee . . . wonder if it's still in style?

13 day post op Before N After

A picture says a thousand words
i had smart lipo done 4 weeks ago am in so much pain that i should had just gone with a tummy tuck i chose lipo cause i didn't am so swollen and depress
Once the Smart Lipo heals (6 months at least) you can consider your options if it does not work.  I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.
I hope you feel better.

Smart Lipo is a BAD procedure - It's taken 6 yrs to recover from the damage.

Friends don't let friends get Smart Lipo.
I'm now 5 days post op from a second full TT that had to be done to remove thick scar tissue which formed in conjunction with a large seroma which required surgical closure. My first TY was in July 2013. I'm praying this takes care of my issues once and for all.
I hope it does for you as well! So far it looks great!
TY Jen.

5 days PO from SECOND FULL TT which I had to have just three months after the first full TT b/c my burnt skin did not heal prope

I had to have a second Full TT b/c my skin would not heal and I developed a large seroma with thick scar tissue. I am now just 5 days out. I'm in a lot of pain but the results seem good so far. Because of what happened the first time, I have two drains in which won't be removed til Friday (God willing). So, again, I cannot warn women enough times NOT to get SL. It's a bad procedure.
I am so sorry you had to go through all this. I am 41 and two months post Smart Lipo and experiencing the same uneven bumpy texture on my stomach. Did you ever do the Smooth Shapes ( this is what they told me to do, gets rid of cellulite supposedly) on your stomach or Exilis ( to tighten)? What advice/suggestions do you have? You are looking great BTW !
Nothing will smooth it out - don't waste your money. I will post new photos this week when I get my stitches out.
I am SO sorry you had to go through all this. I am 41 and two months out from my Smart Lipo, I have the same concerns around the texture of the skin. It seems to get a little better with time but of course I am worried, especially after reading your comments. Did you ever do Smooth Shapes (they told me this is procedure for smoothing cellulite) on your stomach? Or Exilis ( to tighten skin)? Any advice you can give during this phase?

5 months after first TT and 4 weeks after the second one, here is the photo.

I think my issues have been resolved - I hope my story helps one person avoid the horrific disfigurement of Smart Lipo. I've suffered two Full TTs and have lost five months of my life having to rest.
WOW! You have been through so much, I am so sorry. I wish more people would understand the real complications with liposuction. I hope this time around you heal well :) Best wishes to you
I had the same issues, it's been 2 1/2 years . My skin looks like your, however I have a hard lump on one side of my abdomen, and small lumps throughout. I can feel my scare tissue. I went with another doctor who told me that he felt my skin would not survive a TT, so we did a fat transplant however that didn't work. I feel that I should another consultation. It's been a nightmare your always afraid some will see it. I'm very happy for, I hope someday to feel the same.
Wow I'm so srry this hppnd to u but it looks like ur good and hppy nw with everything. god bless u luv n hppy healing n good luck. Mwahz oxoxo

2nd BA and updated TT photos . . . after 2nd Full TT

Updated TT photos after 2nd Full TT - 3 months PO. . . also, minor scar revision to remove vertical scar yesterday and to revise new BA revision . . . I guess it takes me two times to get these things right. lol
I don't see the problem in any of your pictures, before or after. You were beautiful in all of them. I know you saw imperfection but I didn't.
wow, wow, wow, what a journey. I am so sorry that it was so rough for you. You truly are strong. You also look amazing. I know you have been through a lot but you are a testimony to how the body can heal with the proper care. Really you look amazing, head to toe. Several years ago I was deciding between lipo or TT for abdomen but I was so nervous about all of the uneven results you would see on the abdomen post lipo, even in the best hands. Much more likely to get a flat smooth tummy with TT. Yes there is the scar but that never bothered me. My before TT was way worse than any scar could be. Now post op from lower body lipo 15 days ago. Went back to the lipo expert who was going to do my belly 2 years ago. Anyway just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and so glad that you can rock that bikini now.
I hate to admit it but my smart lipo looks just like your pictures before u had tt. I will just learn to live with it. Did you do massage or any other things to help with lumps?
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Stuart B. Kincaid is a dangerous doctor - he never saw me after my procedure despite my three attempts to see him with terrible pain and suffering. I told his staff that I felt I needed to speak with him and that I might end up in the ER. He NEVER bothered to call me back. I've never heard of a doc not seeing patient post-op as most of mine call to follow up. WARNING: Do not go to this doctor.