Horrible Experience - I wish I would have seen this website prior to getting my Sculptra injections. - Bakersfield, CA

I wish I would have seen this website prior to...

I wish I would have seen this website prior to getting my Sculptra injections. I had injections done under both eyes. First in November 2007 and again in January 2008. After the first injection, I developed a pea sized lump under my left eye. My dermatologist told me it would go away. I had the second injection performed and now have large lumps under my left eye and a medium lump under my right eye. My dermatologist has been using the V-beam laser on these bumps with a little bit of success. To anyone considering Sculptra - Do not use it!!!! I am extremely self concious now - I hate the side effects of Sculptra. I have reviewed websites on Sculptra and they speak of small lumps that will go away. Well mine are not small and they have yet to go away! None of the websites or pamphlets talk about the large lumps that you may get and the fact they may never go away. By the way, I was extremely diligent in massaging the injection sites. I followed the after care instructions and I still had horrible side effects!

Here is my update:  I am 21 months out from...

Here is my update:  I am 21 months out from having Sculptra injected under both of my eyes.  I followed the after-care instructions, and I massaged down to the exact minute.  In fact, I didn't stop massaging until approximately 3 months ago when I realized that the bumps weren't going away, and all I was doing was irritating my skin.

After numerous V-beam laser treatments failed (my derm was giving them to me at no-cost), I finally decided to have a facial plastic surgeon perform a subscision procedure.  I had two subscision procedures performed 4 weeks apart, and there has been a significant amount of change in the bump size.

I hope this gives some of you hope that your horrible experience may be reversed.

It has been 4 years since I had Sculptra injected...

It has been 4 years since I had Sculptra injected under both of my eyes and 2 years since the subscision procedure.

The subscision procedure was a success as I am lump/bump free.

In case anyone was wondering, the subscision...

In case anyone was wondering, the subscision procedure consisted of the doctor numbing my face (it still was not a pain free procedure), and using a needle to break down the Sculptra lumps/bumps.

I can only compare it to using a needle to scrape at a ball of hardened sand. And just to clarify he did not cut anything out of my face.
Dermatologist injected Sculptra - Dr. David Saadat performed subscision

I would recommend my subscision Dr. as he was very compassionate and was willing to perform the subscision procedure.

Fortunately for you, the surgeon who did your subcision did a beautiful job. Congratulations! By the way, I have 7 Sculptra injections (age + facial asymmetry) and my injector did everything extremely well and I feel like the product was a God-send. We pay a lot of money to board certified injectors for cosmetically pleasing results and of course lumps are not pleasing. I know your pain from ending up disfigured after paying $$$ for it. Wish you luck on any future injections.
So sorry all this happened to you. Sculptra is horrible. I too wished I had found this site before my experience. I just had two bumps surgically removed from my chin area. I have tiny scars but at least now I don't have to touch the "pebbles" on my face anymore. Which, by the way, were growing larger.
I'm thinkin about gettin scupltra in my lines between my nose and mouth any feed back on this
Sculptra should not be used around the eye for many reasons and now you know one. If you have read this and then you see a doctor that will do it anyway, you should have walked/ran away. There is a reason he didn't say no. $$$$
I was on the operating table for what was supposed to be a right lateral canthoplasty. When i woke up he had done both my eyes and put sculptra in my lower lids. None in the meat of my cheeks. All in my eyelids. He had no written consent to do my left eye or sculptra. He is a board cert ps and he assaulted me. These doctors do what they want. They must be held accountable. Others were told it would go in the meat of the cheek but ends up above the orbital rim. I am sueing because my face has been destroyed.
Well that explains it. He did this without you knowing and your consent. You are doing the right thing by suing.
BTW - from what I can see from your latest pic is that you look really great. :)
But I can not get my lower eyelid back or normal soft tissue back or my health or good looks back. No matter the outcome I am the loser.
That is not me. I "don't look that bad" so tired of hearing that.
I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but if you read the Sculptra site, it makes it pretty clear that it's not to be used around eyes or in lips. Did your doctor not know this?

I have the same problem only under the right eye..My e-mail adress is t***********.net please let me know the name of the doctor so I may vistit with him as well...Thank u so much...

Also, post-subcision, in your 2nd to last photo, I still see the lumpiness. How long after subcision did the lump go away?
Once the swelling went away after my 2nd subcision procedure, my lumps were gone. Hip, hip, hooray!

Hi, I have the same problem with the lumps. Can you give the name of the doctor that performed that submission. I can't find anyone in my area to do it.

Please give me an update. Living same situation April 29 th 2013. I had sculptra injected in 2009.
Hi jostarr, Not sure what your situation regarding Sculptra is. I may have missed your story. Could you let me know. thanks.
2009 got Sculptra a little below my cheek bones for my cheeks were a little flask we can say. On left side like a pea size bump and right side small red kidney bean type size bump. This has been there all the time since but that is a result of my collagene working so hey there it was good. Well Last week took blue pills for cold soar that I had on my left side of nostril. It was intoleratable to much burning & wanting to scratch. That is a first because usually when I get a cold soar its on the side of my mouth. and I use Zovirax cream and I'm good. But for my nose needed to take those pills. (Valacyclovir ) Its in french though. French were I live Well now my bumps are more see-able per say. and my skin is a little red. Maybe cause I'm just looking all the time and perplext. So, whent to see the doctor who did the injections. He's not my family doctor he's a cosmetics doctor that does stuff like botox etc.. Not surgery's etc. He was baffled and needs to call Aventis/Dermik there the Sculptra producers. He will come back to me on friday with info. He suggested injecting small doses of steroids to reduce the collagen. etc. I'm scaired to be played in the face. Would rather do something with someone that has done this to a patient. Feel more comfortable with someone that knows what to do. Saw my family doctor last tuesdayshe reffered my to see a plastic chirgeon and I do have an appointment april 30 for a consult. but if he doesn't know about Sculptra well I'm scared that if he removes it it will be like just taking a kiss off or something I want to make shure that it is not dangerous to make it grow more etc now Im just guessing I aint no doctor... I would feel safe to get it removed in the most safest matter.
Sandchic,

I injected juvaderm under eyes and have the same experience as you. Your eyes pre-subcision look exactly like mine and the multiple doctors I have seen don't want to remove it surgically. How much did your subcision cost? Perhaps I would fly to California and have your doctor do it.
My subcision was $600.00 per session, and I had to have two sessions.
You are right! Sculptra is not to be used around the eye area! When my doctor suggested using Sculptra, I had never heard of the product.

Silly me for trusting a doctor who has many, many years of medical education and training! :)

I did later find out, however, that the Sculptra pharmaceutical reps were promoting the off-label use of Sculptra in the eye area. Shame on those reps!

As you can tell by my pictures, I learned a very tough, but valuable lesson. And lucky for me I was able to get it fixed.

Good luck with your treatment, and please feel free to contact me again!
I had my first Sculptra yesterday. It was very painful!! They used some numbing cream that didn't work so well. She said she will try something different next time to help with the pain. I will give one more try but if its as bad as it was yesterday, I'm done. My reading of Sculptra states that it's not to be used around the eyes.
they should be putting numbing cream on you face in a generous amount...not thick but not sparingly... and you should be sitting for an hour until you are fully numb..it really shouldn't hurt... I believe my doctor mixed the sculptra with a numbing/pain reliever of some sort...not positive but pretty sure...I was very swollen..but I think mostly because of the liquids that were injected....most of the swelling went down the same day... Im so numb when I leave I can barely speak...its comical... but you should barely feel it!
My sympathy to all the people who have the unfortunate experience of lumps caused by fillers. It causes extreme self paranoia and awareness.
I did the same thing four years ago, I have been told by two plastic surgeons that there is nothing that I can do. It may go away one day. I've been told that it does not look too bad... I see it and am stuck with the results.
hi, ugly sculptra inflammatory nodules led to infection and now i have been diognosed with maxillary osteomyelitis. this sculptra was injected 2/20/08. i have been in pain ever since. i am now looking at the nest year of surgery and antibiotic treatments. sculptra is a dangerous product.
Dear Dru, Sculptra is classified as a medical device. I do not know why it isn't a drug. The information the manufacturer supplied on Wickipedia just changed once again...