(At Home) Derma Roller for Acne Scarring, Female, Age 31, Light Olive Skin

I am writing to review my experience with derma...

I am writing to review my experience with derma rolling at home.I have light olive skin, female, age 31.I don't have wrinkles, I have some very faint fine lines but these are not my main concern, I roll for acne scarring improvement. I have some moderate acne scarring that needs attention while I am saving up for a more expensive treatment. I got the dermaroller in 0.5mm first. It's the MT roller. I got it on ebay for around $6. After my first treatment, I ordered a second roller, this time a 1.0 mm roller. The second one was also an MT roller since I liked the first one so much, and the price is the same. I hoped to work to a 2.0, but for now I am going to continue with the 1.0. I have rolled three times now.
The first time I rolled, it wasn't as aggressive because it was a smaller needle. The second time, it was more aggressive, due to the longer needles and also because I wanted to see if the results would be better if i rolled more aggressively.
I will speak about the second and third time, which were similar experiences. The first roll was more of a trial to see if i could tolerate/ to see if it was a waste of time. I want to start out by saying that the results are subtle and gradual. Rolling extremely aggressively or too frequently is going to be conter productive. If you are an impatient person, please restarin yourself from over doing it! It's not going to help. Collagen takes time to develop and bild and rolling too frequently will damage collagen formation. Rolling too aggressively could result in more scarring. I roll once every 5-6 weeks. I keep my roller in a ziploc bag inside the plastic case it came with. I start out by cleaning off my bathroom counter with disinfectant, then I lay out a clean towel. I also have a clean small towel and a clean bowl. I lay my skin creams (will explain later) out on the opposite side of the counter out of the way. i pour some alcohol into the bowl. ( enough to submerge the end of the roller in.) I soak the end of my roller in alcohol, then dry it with the small towel. Then I start to roll on the right side of my face, on my cheeks under my eyes and on the side of my nose, then on the cheeks by my ear and side of my face. I do get some pinpoint bleeding, however not too much, i don't want to over do it. Every now and again I clean the end of the roller with the alcohol, pat it dry, then keep going. Once i have the whole right cheek and side of my face area rolled, I apply a Vitamin C serum, a second serum. a retinol cream, then a Vitamin C cream. I know it's alot but I figure it can't hurt. Then I repeat the same thing on the opposite side of my face, then my forehead. I do my nose and under my eyes as best i can, but I need to order a smaller roller for small areas. I do the sides of my mouth and chin last. I am not as aggressive here because I don't really have issues with this area of my skin.
The second time I rolled, my skin broke out a little on the sides of my mouth a few days after rolling. Because of the pinpoint bleeding, redness and recovery time, I wold advise not to roll if you need to wear a full face of makeup for a couple days ( like if you have an important event, job interview, etc.) The down time isn't major but for a couple days your face is a little red and puffy. It's very normal that your skin will start to peel a bit a few days after.
I know some people have gone on to write reviews immediately after rolling and given impressions that were a favorable due to the swelling and plumping of the skin being mistaken for results that are better than they really are. The plumping will subside. your true results (like I said earlier) are much more subtle and gradual. Your skin will continue to improve slowly throghout the period in between rolling. Don't get discouraged or try to rush it. It won't happen overnight.... be patient and consistent or just don't waste your time. I will post some pictures once there is enough of a difference to see some good noticeable change, which i am guessing won't be for at least 8-10 months. I do see subtle changes in my skin already but i am not sure if it's enough for photos just yet.
Just make sure you keep your tools clean and disinfected, be patient and consistent, that's my advice. It's a lot less expensive and simple to do at home for those of us on a budget. Thanks for reading and best of luck :)

A quick photo of progress after 3 rolls

The yellowing on the first photo is due to an issue with my camera, and the photo isn't optimal but it's the best "before" I have. The second is the progress so far after three rolls. The improvement is very subtle but it has improved a little. Not sure why realself site downsizes the photos almost to the point of having to bust out a pair of glasses. Anyway here is the photo.

fourth roll

I just did my fourth roll which will be the last roll for quite some time as I am having laser done next month. I won't even attempt to roll for at least 4-6 months after that (probably 6.)This was my most agressive roll to date- I had some pipoint bleeding but it's really surface. I am attaching some photos of how it looks after my roll. it doesn't look as red in real life.

Rolling again after laser

Yesterday I rolled again for the first time since my laser treatment. In about a month I will update with a photo, once any results are evident. I rolled a bit more agressively than normal. My face bled a lot. I think the bleeding was a result of taking an OTC pain reliever that is a blood thinner. Today my skin is still swollen and a little red. When it's swollen like it is now, it seems like the results are better than they are. Oh one more thing, after rolling I used some Lancôme collaser 5x stuff for collagen boosting in addition to some strivectin resurfacing serum and some vitamin c cream.

Time for update, it's been awhile

I thought it would be a good time for an update since it's been awhile. I haven't been rolling often because it takes a while to recover and if I have places to be I don't like to go out in public with sores or scabs on my face, it's embarrassing. I plan on rolling tomorrow which is going to be Labor Day. My mother-in-law has a Tria age defying laser and I'm going to use the tria on my skin directly after the dermal roll. I'm posting some pictures of what my skin looks like currently and in 30 days I'll post some after pictures.

Skin after rolling + tria laser

Just wanted to share a quick photo of how my skin looked after rolling followed directly by the tria laser. It is still pretty red right now, 24 hours post and my scars still have micro-swelling. The photo I'm sharing here is not the after result, just a photo if the amt of redness I incurred. And yes it hurt lol but I really want to see some results, hopefully this pays off. After the roll and laser I put my usual regimen of like 7 creams and serums. I'm going to start back up the retin a too, and in 1 month I will post a new progress photo. Here is the redness level pic: cute, right ? Lol

Creams/serums

Here are my serums I use after rolling.

Ok so update with pictures

These are my post results side by side with my before photos. The before photos are from my skins' original condition, at the beginning of my journey. I cringe looking at those pics. Please keep in mind that I have had laser treatment once. I would say my skin has improved about 50 to 70 percent, and I am continuing on my journey. I'm getting married and I want to have beautiful skin ( at least comparitively speaking.) of the 70 percent, it's been about half of the improvement from the laser and the other half from derma rolling. If you can afford laser of course I recommend that but if you can not afford laser multiple times a year, like myself, I recommend derma rolling. If you can combine the two ( of course with a healing time after laser, by all means) then you may be able to reduce the number of laser treatments you need. With derma rolling alone it will take 10 times as long, but at almost no cost. You will see results but you have to stick with it and be consistent. I just had to replace my roller because it was getting worn and I decided to go up to the 2mm. I am not gonna post any more pics here except to post my final results. Not sure when that will be. Hopefully soon lol but not betting on that. I will still come back and answer questions in the comments from my own personal experience. Anyway, here are the pics and best of lucky to anyone dealing with this horrible skin problem. Retin A also helps :)

Pic of my roller

One of the commenters below requested a photo of the roller I use so I am attaching it here. I did not set out to endorse any particular brand but since someone asked I use the MT roller and it was like $6 on eBay. I know other companies make them at varying price points. I got great results with the inexpensive one. There are other brands but I really just chose the one I chose based on the color and the design. The other brands probably work just as good.
self administered

Excellent!

Oh wow $6 - that is cheap....everyday I am one step closer to buying one... thanks for sharing!!
hi! I really loved your description and pictures. Very, very helpful, but can you post the picture of your dermaroller or give a link where you bought it? There are so many of them and some are quite expensive. Thank You
Oh the derma roller came from eBay, it was under $7, I don't think I'm allowed to post a link but it was the clear and light blue green roller.
Hi again. I went ahead and found my box for my roller so I could tell you which one I use. The one I have is called the MT roller- I am attaching a photo of what it looks like. This is a stock photo though but mine looks just like this. I got it on eBay from an Asian seller who had the best feedback score . The MT brand is pretty good, I have had 3 of them now, I went up on the size twice. I have not tried the last size I got, the 2mm and I don't think I will be going beyond that. I initially started with the .5 because I was apprehensive about the pain level but actually the .5 turned out to be easily tolerable so I went up in size. I would recommend starting with the 1.0 size though if you have a high tolerance for pain. The only down side of ordering it from china is that it takes a few weeks to come in and there's no way to track if but mine did come in sealed packages 3 times now. Altogether I have spent under $20 on 3 MT rollers. Of all the creams I use, I would say the Lancôme collaser5x is the best one and the vitamin c cream is the 2nd best. I only use those when I roll, other days I use retin a at night and boscia tsubaki oil in the day time.
Looks great, were the photos taken right after rolling? How long did you use Retin A for?
Hi Eva. The photos (after) were taken almost four weeks out from rolling. The retin a, I had used for a month or so prior to my laser treatment, then I had stopped using it completely. I started back up using it a little over a month ago.
How long does the redness last?
Eva, my skin has a little residual hyperpigmentation from the laser. Some days it's not really red and others it is more so. Usually after I wash and dry my face with a towel it's a little red. But the redness from the rolling, for me anyway, generally subsides within 4 days. During that four days my skin starts to peel also in the area I have rolled in. After about 3-4 days my swelling subsides and my scars are visible again. They do look to be somewhat improved from the photos and I believe the tria is excelerating the results.
Hi conservativefry, your results look so great. May I ask for how long have your scars been there. I want to undergo dermarolling treatment as I have tiny indented scars all over my face. But I wonder if it will work because my scars are around 8 years old... I tried different things to improve my scars but nothing worked. I still have active acnes so hope they will be gone soon and I can start the treatment. Cheers, :):)
Hey there o'henry. I'm not sure how long I have had the scars but for the past 4 years or so they have really been bothering me. They may have been there for quite some time before that though. I had horrible acne from the age of 12 until around 24. Then my acne cleared up but the scars were already there. It would definitely be a good idea to wait until your active acne clears before beginning treatment, because it would be very painful and the bacteria from the acne might cause an infection. I would try retin a to clear up the acne first.
Thank you, I hope to read future updates from you :) your skin just look so gorgeous now, and to be honest my skin condition looks much worse than your original condition photos. I have more motivation now. Same problem here about the acne, I have had it since my teenage, and it seems to never stop (Diane 35 is the only thing working out for me to clear up the acnes. Nothing else, even retin a. But one day I will have husband and want to have kids, sometimes I overthink what to do with my future skin without Diane 35 lol). I hope I can see results using dermaroller after a year, of course I should not rush though...
It's still nowhere near the way I want it to look. I'm getting married in abt 7 months and hope my skin will be looking at least somewhat better by then. I hate the scars on my cheeks. It's almost impossible to cover even with makeup. If I would not have taken before photos I would not be as happy with my progress- seeing the photos side by side is what makes me realize how much progress I have made. Sometimes I look in the mirror and only see what's wrong, not how much better it has gotten. I do still get pimples but only one or two here and there. I have clogged pores though and blackheads. Gross right. I even have it on my back and shoulders.
I have seen your progress with dermarolling.I just want to ask that did your large open pores closed by dermaroller.cause I got my first treatment of dermastamp by a dermatologist on 12 Sep14 ,I had acne scars but didn't have open pores problem.. N just after one day of dermastamp I can c my face filled with large open pores n it's been around12 days they are not leaving.. I'm so worried..
Yes I did see a very nice result with pore size after my peeling subsided. I have never had derma stamp before but the principle is the same. If your skin looks worse 12 days after I would say do not do it again. It may be that your doctor or tech did the procedure wrong. It definitely should not make your pores larger. I had tried needling on just my deep spots with an individual needle and it was making the isolated scars look worse so I quit doing it. Now I just do the derma roller followed by the tria laser. I may be going to get another laser done professionally so hopefully I can get that done.
Thanks for the reply,my redness n swelling had gone within a week but pores are not leaving.. I m so confused whether to go to another doctor for dermaroller not dermastamp cause now I have open pores with acne scars.. I went to thedermatologist who did my first treatment. N he said they will go but u have to do atleast5 sitting s to c the improvement.. I'm definitely notgoing to that doctor... but how to treat them shall I continue with another doctor.I don't know I'm so confused
I do the derma roller to myself, if you have the money I would recommend getting laser. If not, I would say maybe go to a different doctor for one derma rolling session just so you can see how it works and how much pressure to apply, then get a roller online and do it at home. That's what I do, just do it myself because I'm trying to save up for the laser again so instead of paying a doctor $150+ per session I do the same thing to myself for free and save that money.
Thanks for sharing that, I would be thrilled if you would do a video demonstration on using the Dermaroller.
Hey again Eva. I would prefer to remain anonymous and I don't want to show my face. There are several on YouTube for anyone who is interested in videos. I have been experimenting with something new- that is using the tria age defying laser after derma rolling ( tria is an at home laser much like the ones used by doctors, but at a lower setting) I'm excited about it and will definitely continue to post my results even if I find it doesn't work. The laser is supposed to stimulate collagen production. In 2 weeks I am going to post some photos to see if there has been any improvement. :) I would love to have another in office laser treatment from a doctor. The cost is what is holding me back.
Totally understandable :) no worries! Good luck with the Tria, will watch for your updates to see how it goes.
Wonderfully detailed review, I really want to try an at home Derma roller but I am so scared. I saw this post from one of our members and wondered if you could offer any help:
HOW HARD DO YOU HAVE TO PRESS DOWN ON A DERMA ROLLER FOR IT TO WORK?
Ok Eva I left them a comment on their page to help them out.
Eva G/community manager - please help me out - I don't know what I posted that's against community guidelines/term of services and don't want to do it again - i see you don't allow actual website addresses posted, that only took one time to figure that out, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks
Hi MarilinFL, it was a 3rd party website. I sent you a PM regarding this. Let me know by contacting me directly if you have any other questions. :) Thanks!