(At Home) Derma Roller for Acne Scarring, Female, Age 31, Light Olive Skin

I am writing to review my experience with derma...

I am writing to review my experience with derma rolling at home.I have light olive skin, female, age 31.I don't have wrinkles, I have some very faint fine lines but these are not my main concern, I roll for acne scarring improvement. I have some moderate acne scarring that needs attention while I am saving up for a more expensive treatment. I got the dermaroller in 0.5mm first. It's the MT roller. I got it on ebay for around $6. After my first treatment, I ordered a second roller, this time a 1.0 mm roller. The second one was also an MT roller since I liked the first one so much, and the price is the same. I hoped to work to a 2.0, but for now I am going to continue with the 1.0. I have rolled three times now.
The first time I rolled, it wasn't as aggressive because it was a smaller needle. The second time, it was more aggressive, due to the longer needles and also because I wanted to see if the results would be better if i rolled more aggressively.
I will speak about the second and third time, which were similar experiences. The first roll was more of a trial to see if i could tolerate/ to see if it was a waste of time. I want to start out by saying that the results are subtle and gradual. Rolling extremely aggressively or too frequently is going to be conter productive. If you are an impatient person, please restarin yourself from over doing it! It's not going to help. Collagen takes time to develop and bild and rolling too frequently will damage collagen formation. Rolling too aggressively could result in more scarring. I roll once every 5-6 weeks. I keep my roller in a ziploc bag inside the plastic case it came with. I start out by cleaning off my bathroom counter with disinfectant, then I lay out a clean towel. I also have a clean small towel and a clean bowl. I lay my skin creams (will explain later) out on the opposite side of the counter out of the way. i pour some alcohol into the bowl. ( enough to submerge the end of the roller in.) I soak the end of my roller in alcohol, then dry it with the small towel. Then I start to roll on the right side of my face, on my cheeks under my eyes and on the side of my nose, then on the cheeks by my ear and side of my face. I do get some pinpoint bleeding, however not too much, i don't want to over do it. Every now and again I clean the end of the roller with the alcohol, pat it dry, then keep going. Once i have the whole right cheek and side of my face area rolled, I apply a Vitamin C serum, a second serum. a retinol cream, then a Vitamin C cream. I know it's alot but I figure it can't hurt. Then I repeat the same thing on the opposite side of my face, then my forehead. I do my nose and under my eyes as best i can, but I need to order a smaller roller for small areas. I do the sides of my mouth and chin last. I am not as aggressive here because I don't really have issues with this area of my skin.
The second time I rolled, my skin broke out a little on the sides of my mouth a few days after rolling. Because of the pinpoint bleeding, redness and recovery time, I wold advise not to roll if you need to wear a full face of makeup for a couple days ( like if you have an important event, job interview, etc.) The down time isn't major but for a couple days your face is a little red and puffy. It's very normal that your skin will start to peel a bit a few days after.
I know some people have gone on to write reviews immediately after rolling and given impressions that were a favorable due to the swelling and plumping of the skin being mistaken for results that are better than they really are. The plumping will subside. your true results (like I said earlier) are much more subtle and gradual. Your skin will continue to improve slowly throghout the period in between rolling. Don't get discouraged or try to rush it. It won't happen overnight.... be patient and consistent or just don't waste your time. I will post some pictures once there is enough of a difference to see some good noticeable change, which i am guessing won't be for at least 8-10 months. I do see subtle changes in my skin already but i am not sure if it's enough for photos just yet.
Just make sure you keep your tools clean and disinfected, be patient and consistent, that's my advice. It's a lot less expensive and simple to do at home for those of us on a budget. Thanks for reading and best of luck :)

A quick photo of progress after 3 rolls

The yellowing on the first photo is due to an issue with my camera, and the photo isn't optimal but it's the best "before" I have. The second is the progress so far after three rolls. The improvement is very subtle but it has improved a little. Not sure why realself site downsizes the photos almost to the point of having to bust out a pair of glasses. Anyway here is the photo.

fourth roll

I just did my fourth roll which will be the last roll for quite some time as I am having laser done next month. I won't even attempt to roll for at least 4-6 months after that (probably 6.)This was my most agressive roll to date- I had some pipoint bleeding but it's really surface. I am attaching some photos of how it looks after my roll. it doesn't look as red in real life.

Rolling again after laser

Yesterday I rolled again for the first time since my laser treatment. In about a month I will update with a photo, once any results are evident. I rolled a bit more agressively than normal. My face bled a lot. I think the bleeding was a result of taking an OTC pain reliever that is a blood thinner. Today my skin is still swollen and a little red. When it's swollen like it is now, it seems like the results are better than they are. Oh one more thing, after rolling I used some Lancôme collaser 5x stuff for collagen boosting in addition to some strivectin resurfacing serum and some vitamin c cream.

Time for update, it's been awhile

I thought it would be a good time for an update since it's been awhile. I haven't been rolling often because it takes a while to recover and if I have places to be I don't like to go out in public with sores or scabs on my face, it's embarrassing. I plan on rolling tomorrow which is going to be Labor Day. My mother-in-law has a Tria age defying laser and I'm going to use the tria on my skin directly after the dermal roll. I'm posting some pictures of what my skin looks like currently and in 30 days I'll post some after pictures.

Skin after rolling + tria laser

Just wanted to share a quick photo of how my skin looked after rolling followed directly by the tria laser. It is still pretty red right now, 24 hours post and my scars still have micro-swelling. The photo I'm sharing here is not the after result, just a photo if the amt of redness I incurred. And yes it hurt lol but I really want to see some results, hopefully this pays off. After the roll and laser I put my usual regimen of like 7 creams and serums. I'm going to start back up the retin a too, and in 1 month I will post a new progress photo. Here is the redness level pic: cute, right ? Lol

Creams/serums

Here are my serums I use after rolling.
self administered

Excellent!

Thanks for sharing that, I would be thrilled if you would do a video demonstration on using the Dermaroller.
Hey again Eva. I would prefer to remain anonymous and I don't want to show my face. There are several on YouTube for anyone who is interested in videos. I have been experimenting with something new- that is using the tria age defying laser after derma rolling ( tria is an at home laser much like the ones used by doctors, but at a lower setting) I'm excited about it and will definitely continue to post my results even if I find it doesn't work. The laser is supposed to stimulate collagen production. In 2 weeks I am going to post some photos to see if there has been any improvement. :) I would love to have another in office laser treatment from a doctor. The cost is what is holding me back.
Totally understandable :) no worries! Good luck with the Tria, will watch for your updates to see how it goes.
Wonderfully detailed review, I really want to try an at home Derma roller but I am so scared. I saw this post from one of our members and wondered if you could offer any help:
HOW HARD DO YOU HAVE TO PRESS DOWN ON A DERMA ROLLER FOR IT TO WORK?
Ok Eva I left them a comment on their page to help them out.
Eva G/community manager - please help me out - I don't know what I posted that's against community guidelines/term of services and don't want to do it again - i see you don't allow actual website addresses posted, that only took one time to figure that out, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks
Hi MarilinFL, it was a 3rd party website. I sent you a PM regarding this. Let me know by contacting me directly if you have any other questions. :) Thanks!
To be honest your are doing something wrong, I end up with acne scars bcuz as everyone was so scare of acne that make my skin dry, when the skin is dry are not able to heal well. I learn that for fact like about tree months ago, I have 3 cats the female is more neurothic meeting strangers so my niece from USA want to meet her, so I grab her in my hands to show to her, as I do with the males, one stay quiet just miau when he get tired of been in the hands, other male get away from my hands and run but didn't use the nails so don't hurt,but the female was the neurothic,so I end up with few scratch on my neck and hands and other's areas not much, the point is that the one on the neck and boob heals quickly and without leave any mark, the others take so much longer too much, the difference on the same day scratch to heal are that I use oils on regular basic on those areas that heal faster the oils was apply two times a day or more bcuz I use oils on that areas, use tanamu oil and coconut oil. I still see a line on the one that never been treated with the amounts of oils. Then I read over web recently and find for sure that moisture is the best thing to cure quick and good. So if you are going to use the dermaroller to the point of bleeding use some oils after that like tanamu, cocunut oil, after few minutes apply something like cacao's butter, and maybe some Vaseline, yes sound like too much but is the best way the skin heal to a trauma keep it moisture, won't go to bed with a dry skin or the skin will stretch more harder to cure. After all babies grow around placenta yes a liquid so that give you and idea that new cells form better in moisture. So keep moisture!
I love your comment especially the part abt the miau. :)
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I just a question about your ice picks acne scars , have you seen progress on it becoming more even ? Also does it bleed like that every time you roll ? And does it scab at all ?
It didn't bleed much until I started rolling more aggressively. On my ice pick scars i have noticed some improvement but I'd really like to see more dramatic/faster results than what I have been seeing. I might pay to go get lasered again, if I can come up with the money.
Have you ever considered getting Percutaneous Collagen Induction, or Needling just within the acne scar itself? These "pin prick" scars need to be needled while leaving the rest of your skin alone. That way the collagen will build up only in the indentations. Good luck!
I tried needling and it made my scars deeper so I stopped but I might have been doing it wrong
I'm new to the rolling and I don't exactly know where to start. Groupon is now offering a micro needle for $24 that I may purchase. I dont have bad acne on my face, but I am getting wrinkles so I am looking for any anti aging procedure that I can do at home! What creams or serums should you use afterwards? Are you only suppose to roll once a month? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!
Oops sorry I am just now seeing this. I would recommend anything that boosts collagen, vitamin C is very good for collagen boosting. If you are already using something that boosts collagen it will absorb much better right after rolling. I use like 6 different ones afterward, it might be excessive but I figure it can't hurt. One of them is the ole henriksen brand, and the Lancôme brand too. I do feel like once a month is a good amount of time, I wouldn't do the treatments any closer together.
Conservativefry, I just got my dermaroller 1.5mm but haven't used it yet. Can you tell me if you have seen a big difference in your cheek areas? That is my troubled area.
Not a huge difference, it takes at least 10 rolls spaced 30 days apart minimum to see noticeable results. It's going to take some patience on your part. If you take good before and after photos you will be able to see a good improvement, but if you just look in the mirror it won't be as easy to see the progress. It's little by little. I do see some improvement but then I went and did laser.
Ok. Thank you!! I am excited and scared all at the same time to do this. My scars are pretty deep so I am willing to do anything to get rid of them. I can't afford the C02 or Fraxel like my derm recommended. So dermaroller it is! I will be in contact with you as I start to use my dermaroller!
Ok sure! I got the laser and wasn't all that impressed with it for my scars but it improved the rest of my skin. You can try icing your face first if you don't have a high pain tolerance. I do have a fairly high tolerance. I am really starting to think punch excision is the only way to get rid of deep scars. I have a few myself. I'd like to get excision and subcision but I'm not sure how much it is or who does it around here.
Can I ask how long after rolling did u take the after picture u posted? I am wondering if the results look that good because of inflammation in the skin? I had a pixel laser done and was thrilled with the results until about a month after....I ended up scarring really badly from the laser and didn't even realize it happened until about a month and now 6 months out. Most of the micros welling has gone down and all of the scars were revealed. It's been devastating.
Wow sorry to hear that! The photos are abt a month post, and I have been disappointed with my results as well. I do have some improvement but not at the level I was told I would have. I don't think my doctor went deep enough with the laser I had. All the swelling has subsided at this point and my scars are still evident but not as bad as they were. Still frustrating to see them!!
Do you consider use of Calendula Ointment or serum afterwards with sterile or distilled water? How did your Laser therapy go?