Excited and Nervous - Hinsdale, IL

I have been reading the posts here for a while. I...

I have been reading the posts here for a while. I have my surgery planned for Aug 7th and am very excited but nervous too. I have received approval from my insurance company.

Some of the concerns I have are about returning to work in 2 weeks, those of you that have had it done...do you think this is doable?

Also I see details about the Ahh bra and genie bra..how do you know what bra to get for afterwards. What else do you need afterwards, things that were handy that MD did not tell you.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Ok I just have to say that I love this site and am...

Ok I just have to say that I love this site and am getting more excited...everyone is so positive.

Thank you so much for the info....I too am a nurse and work as a case manager, so no lifting. So good to know I will be able to go back to work in two weeks.

I called this am an made my isurance aware of the scheduled date. Gives me a little palpitation ( of excitement ) just saying I have a date scheduled. All is good per insurance.

I love this site and love seeing photos...of before and after. I would post some pictures if I knew how...not to good at the computer.

To post pictures click on the button that says update review. At the bottom of that page you will see places to add pictures. (You need to do this from a laptop or desk top computer, it won't work from you phone or tablet.) Then you will have to look in your saved pictures and select the ones you wish to upload.

Hi M3. Thanks for posting! I went back to work in two weeks. I'm a nurse in a doctor's office. I didn't have quite the stamina that I normally have and I couldn't do a lot of lifting, but by compromising with the other nurses we were able to work it out. And each day I got a little stronger and didn't seem quite as tired. I think two weeks is totally doable, unless of course you are running a jack-hammer or something like that.

The things that I found really useful post-op were comfy pajamas that had a button up top, 6" ACE bandage (I used this in place of a surgical bra--I liked that I could control the compression) easy to digest foods, Docusate Sodium(Dulcolax) because the pain pills are constipating (I even suggest starting them a couple of days before surgery and continuing until you are going to the bathroom normally) and things to keep you entertained like DVDs, music, puzzle books, books, etc. Make sure you plan to do nothing much more than rest the entire first week. It takes a lot of energy to heal, and if you give yourself that time you will do great. Also my doctor had me showering with Antibacterial Safeguard for the two weeks prior to surgery and also after surgery. I didn't stop using it until I was 6 months post-op, I don't know if that is the reason that I didn't get an infection or not, but I know it sure didn't hurt!!

I wish you the very best of luck, please keep us updated throughout the summer as to how you are doing. Really August is just a tad over a month away, so I bet the time will seem to go quickly!

7-14-12: Starting the countdown to surgery...24...

7-14-12: Starting the countdown to surgery...24 days to go. I am getting more excited everyday. I have most of my stuff ready, button top jammies, hair appointment beofre surgery,,,,etc.....any new advice?

Not long now! So glad you are more excited than nervous!

Hi all, Today I am 4 days post op and have...

Hi all, Today I am 4 days post op and have transitioned to acetaminophen for pain. Think I might take vicodin at bedtime. I have showered once, followed up with PS once, and plan to see PS on Monday to have some stitches out.
Things that I learned after my surgery that I wanted to share.....don't be afraidd to take the prescription pain meds, I thought about every dose, worried I was taking too much etc.....and I now know that I needed it in the beginning, I should not have worried so much. ( I didnt want to take too much) ALSO I discovered that I did have a scopolomine patch placed from surgery, and this has been the most nausea free I have ever been post op.
I had trouble with fever and chills when I got home, (I stayed overnight day of surgery) up to 101.7. Kinda freaked me out, too early for infection, couple communications with MD ( was already on oral antibiotics too) and eventally went away.
Very happy with the results so far, lots of bruising and def the lipo area under arms/sides is the most painful.
I am sure I will be able to go back after one more week off, I am bored already. Have been walking around, but cant do too much, I can't wait to shop!!!!!
Hope all are well

Good luck at your appt tomorrow! Glad to hear that you are doing so well!

I have been a little reluctant to post, everyone...

I have been a little reluctant to post, everyone has had such a good experience...and I don't want to scare anyone away. Then I decided that maybe someone else is having some difficulty and they would know that they are not alone.

I have had some minor bumps along the way, now dealing with a bit bigger issue. My left is perfect and I am in love with it. Righty is having some difficulty, I have a hardened area, pretty large 4x3 inches, that is tender and swollen and makes the breast misshaped. I will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow. I went to the PS last thurs and he aspirated (with a needle) the area, did not get much but he did a culture ( turned out negative thank goodnesss). I am on antibiotics and return tomorrow to see what is next. Not sure what I will have to do, hoping against another surgery. PS said possible fat necrosis . I read up in this and sems that the body can reabsorb it, seems like kinda a big area.

I am still happy that I did this. I have a sports bra with little bitty straps, and they are not digging in anywhere. I love it.

Wish me luck, I hope tomorrow is good news,

Hope everyone else if doing well!...I don't want to seem like a complainer......but this is just the way it it!

m3grrrls, no one will think you are a complainer at all. I think it is very important that the less than perfect recoveries are shared along with the easy ones. It is vital that everyone knows what they are in for. Most are told the risks, but when you are faced with them, it is a real shock and can also be quite depressing. There are some other girls on here who have had some difficulty with their healing. Take a look around at the other reviews and you may find a couple who can maybe give you some ideas or suggestions. Never hesitate to reach out to anyone on their page. Everyone is so helpful. Check out the reviews by toobiginlongbeach, Flgal77, and NanaLyn. These are a few of the girls that I can think of who haven't had the easiest of recoveries. You will find a lot of encouragement from these ladies. Please keep us updated! I will be anxious to know how your follow-up appointments go!