Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy, Best Decision

I am 3 weeks post op from my tummy tuck. Overall I...

I am 3 weeks post op from my tummy tuck. Overall I had a good experience. I am 44 years old with 3 teen age kids. I have always been small 5'1" and 117 pounds at most, except during pregnancy (I got up to 155). I work out and and was toned everywhere but in my stomach. I had a pooch and loose flabby skin.

I was at the gynecologist for my yearly exam and was told I needed a partial hysterectomy (Utreus only) due to a fibroid tumor. My Dr. said it is common to combine TT with hysterectomy. This was a dream come true!!! I interviewed 2 plastic surgeons and made my decision.

My surgery was Feb. 11th. When I woke up I was in a little bit of pain in my upper stomach at the top of my rib cage. I spent 2 nights in the hopsital with a pain pump, the best invention in the world. My pain never got over a 2!! Coming home was fine, I slept in a chair with pillows and only got up to go the bathroom for the first 3 days. Day 6 I went back to the ps and was told to move more. I was in some pain but it was tolerable. I decided to stop all narcotics and switch to Ibuprofen.

I got the drains removed at almost 2 weeks. This was the best feeling. I had been extemely nautious and couldn't figure out why. Once the drains were removed I felt instantly better and completey better with in 2 days. I still feel stiff in my stomach area and my upper stomach is still the most painful and swollen. I am very happy with my new stomach, even though I know it will change in the next 6 months.

I was at the plastic surgeon yesterday for my 3...

I was at the plastic surgeon yesterday for my 3 week visit. I must say that the TT is a much harder recovery than the hysterectomy. I am still restricted from doing mnay activities, lifting anything over 5 lbs, walking too much etc. If I had just had the hysterectomy I believe I would be able to mall walk at the very least. I still feel that this was a good decision. I believe by the summer I will be very glad I decided to do both procedures. I just have to be careful slow down now!!

He took the time to explain the procedure. I trusted his expertise to make me look natural. His office was always available.

I am having a tt on april 7th, I am very very nervous. Were you very nervous? If so what helped calm you down. I am scared that on the surgery day I am going to be terrified to go thru with it. Any advice? Thanks so much.
I just kept thinking how much I wanted this and that even though I was so nervous this was a normal work day for the PS and all the nurses. When I got to the OR and saw the plastic surgeon and he drew on my fat, swollen, belly I knew I would do it. That would be the last time I had to look at my big stomach. As I have said before, it hurt in the beginning. Continue to take your pain meds. Prior to surgery tell the anesthesiologist that you get motion sicknes. They will take all the precautions so you don'twake up sick. Good Luck!!!
i'm having a mini tuck with my hysterectomy the later part of April so its nice reading your post on your experience..thanks for sharing
Just wanted to update everyone. I am now 5 weeks post op and able to do almost everything that I did prior to surgery. I am working out(speed walking and elliptical), even lifting light weights. I can wear my jeans!! I wasn't wearing my binder garment and the PS surgeon thought I was too swollen. I have been wearing it the last couple of days and I can see a big differnce in the swelling.
I'm 46 and 5'7 and weigh 170. People kept asking me when the baby was due! Even women! I finally had my tummy tuck on Feb 23rd and went home about an hour after the procedure with my best friend watching over me. I slept about 22 hours a day for 3 days and just got up to go to the rest room. Getting up was very painful at first and there is no way I could have done it on my own. A new leaf was turned on March 5th when I had my drains taken out on and I started wearing the tummy binding wrap. What a difference! Before I was all bent over and couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes without being winded! I went back to work and stood for about 8 hours on March 9th, 2 weeks after surgery. I think I overdid it as I bent down to pick things up a lot during the day. My biggest concern is the bloating and burping I do at night. Gonna try some GasX and see if that helps. Excited about my final outcome though! Good luck to all!
Do you have pictures that you could post, before and after? Hurray for you about going ahead with the Tummy Tuck! It'll be amazing for you after the long recovery! I had mine on Feb. 25th, and am suspicious of the drains myself. I think they cause more restraint and discomfort than anything, but for the purpose they serve, I will stick them out as long as possible. lol, I also have the pain pump, Wonderful little device!
I have not taken any pictures yet. I should or I will regret it. I do have before pictures so I will try to post some pictures soon. Although I am happy to get the drain out, I now have some increased swelling. Oh well back to the couch with my feet up for a good part of the day!