Body Lift and Arm Lift - So Excited - Hawthorn, AU

I have just turned 50 and over the past 2 years...

I have just turned 50 and over the past 2 years lost 42kg (and still losing albeit very slowly). I've always hated my arms and spare tyre around the middle but they have become more obvious and jiggly now I've lost the weight. I dropped from 111kg to 69kg through strict diet and re discovering my love of exercise, to the point of becoming an obsession again. On turning 50 I underwent a bio age assessment and have gotten my bio age down to 40 and although I don't look 50 (in clothes) I feel like I'm in my 30s again.
Surgery has been booked for 20 June, by which time I hope to be down to around 67kg and this will be the final leg of my journey. Surprisingly the few people I have told have been so encouraging and all have said I've worked so hard over the past 2 years and deserve it. Even though I feel a little guilty spending so much money on myself..I just need to remind myself it's now my time.
I had a few different consults and have decided on Mr Richard Bloom in Hawthorn. Really impressed with the consult, his assessment process and I felt very comfortable talking about my body, which I am very uncomfortable with.
I now have to wait 3 months, as I have a few competitive events in the next few months and I wanted to wait until winter, to wear all the heavy baggy clothes during my recovering. The only concern I have is the recovery time and stopping myself from trying to get back into exercise too quickly. I love reading about the experience other people have had with these procedures and have read mostly positives. Every day is a day closer but it can't come quick enough :) I shall post some before photos closer to the date

3 weeks until surgery - excited and nervous

I have just sent off my paperwork to the surgeon and hospital. Compression garment arrived today. This is it, Im getting it done. I keep reading stories from others who have undergone similar procedures and am very grateful for all the details (good and bad). Love all the photos and think I know exactly what Im up for. Just not looking forward to the recovery time. My only concern is having the arms and LBL done all at once, its going to make any movement difficult and I am sure painful. I haven't really told many people, mainly just those who have been soo supportive during my weight loss journey - the common reaction is you've worked soo bloody hard to lose the weight (diet and exercise only) that you deserve to complete the journey and be totally happy. I was 70kg when I initially saw my surgeon, but went on a cruise for 2 weeks and put on 5kg :( Im now back to 71 and pretty sure I can reach the goal I have set myself of being under 70kg by June 20 - D day.

Any advise on recovery/pain control from those would have undergone similar procedures would be fantastic. Ive taken 2 weeks off work, but think I will need a 3rd week, although my job is sedentary, its 12 hour night shifts. No exercise is going to drive me mad, hopefully shuffling around the block will help.

Ive got no idea how much skin/fat is going to be removed, as I have toned up pretty well via exercise with good muscle tone under all the skin - cant weight to get some more definition. Can anyone let me know how much weight in skin/fat was removed during their procedures.

Will post some pics when the surgery is done - hate my before pics but happy to post them next to some after pics :)))

2 weeks to go!

Had a case of the doubts, then reviewed my photos taken at my initial consult. Certainly erases all the doubts. Finally adding some before photo, which I'm highly embarrassed about but here goes

3 more sleeps until D day

Still in the excited phase. It's going to be the longest 3 days of my life as I can't wait to get this done. Reached my goal of being under 70kg before surgery. Really happy about that. I have read so many stories on this site, mostly positive (thank God) that I will do anything and everything I can to make my recovery as smooth and uneventful as possible. Come on Friday!!

5 days post op - looking huge :(

Stayed in hospital 4 days and certainly needed every one of those days. I'm now home and doing ok. Walking almost straight apart from a little pulling in the back and tummy. Pain is only about 3/10 unless I move the wrong way. Virtually no pain in the arms and once the swelling goes down I'll be really happy. Swelling in the back and tummy is huge and stretching my compression garment to the limit. Sleeping in the recliner at home which is great. Glinting to the toilet on my own but not had a poop yet. Appetite is virtually zero but trying to force myself to eat something. Will post some photos after my first post op appointment next week. Not taking my garment off til then as there is no way I could get it back on. Generally the first 3 days were awful but each day is getting a little better :))

Every day is getting easier

Finally saw my PS today after stuffing up my previous appointment and missed it. 18 days post op and the tapes were removed to real my scars. Wow, healing beautifully around the tummy and back, but a little thicker on the arms. Swelling is still quite prominent in my belly (about 50%) which I wish would hurry up and resolve. Two stitches removed - 1 from each side, which works explain the discomfort if I tried to sleep on my side. Had a nap this afternoon - on my side, it was bliss. Have finally transferred from the recliner back to my bed - heaven!! I've lost a couple of kilos, when I think is more from barely eating the first week post op. Appetite is back but trying to keep to 1200 calories per day. Chomping at the bit to get back to the gym, although I won't be kickboxing a while, if I can get on the spin bike in a few weeks I'll be happy. I've been walking the dogs with my daughter the last week, but any path with a slight rise makes my back ache, so I have to remember not to stoop and walk straight with my bum tucked under. I've included 2 photos, I don't see a massive difference yet, as I'm still pretty swollen. Back to the surgeon again next week and then 2 weeks after that, when I hope to have the all clear!

27 days post and back at the gym- yippee!!

27 days post op I was feeling pretty good so I went to the gym and rode the spin bike for 30 min - light pedalling with low resistance. Felt great to be moving again. No pain just a little tightness in the tummy. Next day back on the spin bike for 40 mins, a little faster and a little more resistance - no dramas. The following day on the spin bike for 40 min and walking on the treadmill for 20 mins. Everything seems to be loosening up quite nicely. Rest day followed by 1 hour on the spin bike and 10 mins of light boxing - just going through the motions with no power - can't wait to unleash the beast. Slowly increasing the time and intensity - body is loving the work. Will start light weights and running next week. Feels sooo good to sweat again, Nd I'm sure the exercise is helping to reduce the swelling as I'm peeing all the time and the tummy is starting to feel a little softer.
Saw my surgeon 3.5 weeks post. He was amazed how quick and well I am recovering. Scars are healing beautifully. Usually he sees patients again at the 6 week mark but as I'm doing so well we are leaving it until the 8 week mark. Standing straight, moving well and swelling probably down about two thirds. Back at work doing 12 hour night shifts but I'm still going to wear the compression garment for another 2 weeks as I feel I start to swell towards the end of my shifts. The only problem I have had is some irritation of my skin where the new silicone tape has been applied - but all things considered it's minor and I can live with that. I'm just waiting to get the photos taken at my last appointment and I shall post them. Plus I've lost a couple more kilos - down to 67kg - only 4kg from my goal weight. Life is good!!
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Looking great already slowly but surely...keep us updated more pictures... In my prayers for you healing...
You Look Fabulous, amazing results.... Kudos to YOU!!!!!! xo
Your are looking great!
You look fabulous! How are you feeling? :)
Thank you. Slowly getting there. Finally the swelling is going down, albeit slowly, but I'm starting to get some shape. First shift back at work tonight - 12 hour night shift but it's a sedentary job working at Triple Zero, which is equivalent to your 911. Back is aching already bit I'll suck it up. Back to surgeon in a few more days to change tapes again. Finally sleeping on my side but sleep is fairly broken every time I need to change position. A couple more weeks and I should be back at the gym yay! How are you travelling??
Looking good! =)
You look great - all the saggy skin has been removed. The arms take longer to heal - and the scars on the arms do not fade as well as the other scars. You will feel fantastic once you have healed and are back at the gym. I think not being able to go the gym is the hardest thing about having plastic surgery.
Thank you. Getting there slowly, but just not fast enough :(
Checking in on you. How are you feeling? Did you get a peek at your body at your doctor apt? I hope all is well. :•)
Hello. Thanks for checking. Each day is getting a little easier. Managed to sleep a few hours in my own bed last night instead of the recliner -bliss! I have my post op appointment on the 4th. Only took my compression suit off once to give it a wash. Still pretty swollen so can't really see much improvement yet. Arms are great, using them about 70% of normal. Can't wait to get the tapes taken off and get a good idea. Will post pics soon. How are you going?
Good luck Friday! Your before pictures show that you are quite fit, so you should have a nice result. I just had my LBL on Monday. I'm still in some pretty intense pain, however, I'm usually able to get about an hour of sleep after taking my pain meds. The sleep really helps. I haven't been up for eating much yet, either, so my husband and daughter have been making me smoothies with protein powder to help fuel my body for healing until I get my appetite back.
Thanks so much. I have just read your story. I too had a lot of indecision but once I locked it in that was it and I'm happy I have stuck to my guns. I read in wonder how you went home the next day -yikes! I have been told I must stay in hospital 4 nights, which judging by the pain most people have I'm more than happy to stay and get things under control. I love my protein smoothies and guess I'll be living on those for quite a while. Do u know how much skin/fat was taken in weight. I'm hoping my recovery is a bit more manageable than some, as compared to them I don't have as much skin to remove, as I didn't want to do this until my weight was low (under 150lb) and stable. Can't wait to see some pics, I'll be posting some a few days after my surgery. Looking forward to catching up and "comparing notes". Ps I would be happy if I lost the appetite for a while too :))
I was sent home an hour after I woke up from my surgery - I think it makes more sense to stay in a hospital or recovery facility for a couple of days - the first couple of days are hard and after that it is just discomfort. Good luck with your surgery.
I went home the same day, about 3 hours after they woke me up. Honestly, I was more miserable in recovery than I was at home. For me, I was going to be hurting regardless and wanted to be home where my family was. I don't think I could have if I had my arms done as well though. My arms and walker were instrumental in getting me out of bed.
Surprisingly I have been using my arms to help lift me from my chair. My arms not painful, just stiff at the elbow and armpit. I've read other people say the arms are worse than the body lift so I was expecting the worse.
Wishing you well...Our tummys looked very similar...not alot there just wrinkly skin...the LBL will help alot! Are you also rebuilding the butt? I had none, so I had to add alittle something....
I don't have a lot of butt anymore - just the wrinkly skin - under which I have buns of steel from a million miles of cycling. Hoping the lift brings it all back into shape - 2 more sleeps. :)
I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with your arms. How long was it before you were driving again - that's a major concern for me. I have every confidence in my surgeon as I know I have picked one of the best...stayed tuned :)
So excited for you and I will be following your story...How funny that you went on a 2 week cruise right before your surgery...I did the same thing, I went on a 28 day south pacific cruise to mentally prepare of course...not to mention the extra weight gain...haha As long as you have help around you, you should do fine having the arms done at the same time. You will just need help getting up and down and that sorta thing, but that's only for the first few weeks...after that you will feel much stronger...as your body continues to heal.
Funny thing is we have another cruise booked 3 months post op. No way am I putting weight on during this break. Hopefully I'll be fit enough for spin classes, rock climbing another a gazillion other activities on the ship. Shame I won't be up to wearing any sleeveless clothes, I'm sure I'll still be too self conscious about the scars. But I will be wearing some tight fitting outfits to show off my new bod :))))
Congratulations on your weight loss and getting so fit. I had my arms done at the same time as a lower body lift - it is very hard to have both procedures done at the same time because you really need your arms to lift yourself up off of bed, chairs, toilet, etc. That being said, I managed it so you will too. On the plus side, you only have to recover once. My suggestion would be to get a seat riser for the toilet and if you can get a loan of one - a walker helps for the first couple of days. The fact that you are in such good shape will make things a lot easier. Get a lot of rest afterwards. If you have any questions, let me know.
Thanks so much for writing back. Yep, the recovery is really my only concern. Some many differing stories I have read I just don't know how good, or bad, mine will be. I have a million questions but I've just gotten home from night shift, so will post later. Any advice is certainly Ppreciated.
I'm sure you will make your goal and everything will turn out great. I think we all feel the guilt but I think you definitely deserve it
Congrats on the weight loss! I can relate to the guilty feeling. I am having a lower body lift in 11 days. I am excited, nervous and feeling guilty. Luckily I have a supportive husband, so that helps. Looking forward to seeing your before and after pics! Good luck with your upcoming competitive events coming up!