Very Happy with Ultherapy - North Vancouver, BC

I share the same experience and doctor as...

I share the same experience and doctor as "debrat" the other reviewer. We are very fortunate to have access to such a good doctor who does a fabulous job at her clinic.

I'm approaching mid 50's and showing laxity around my neck and mid to lower part of my face and had Ultherapy a month ago. I've waited to post so I can also review the after-effects of the session.

During treatment:
The treatment will be painful and my doctor made no bones about it. She gave me a topical to apply an hour earlier. Also, tiny injections of painkillers/freezing all over the areas targeted for treatment...it felt like little pin pricks...this was the only "pain" if anything, that I felt throughout the whole treatment. I also had the option for a Demerol and I promptly took it. The scale of pain was about 1 or 2...I almost fell asleep by the end of the treatment!

It was pretty cool to be able to see on screen how deep the Ultherapy penetrated in order for it to work...my doc pointed this out at the beginning. The whole session lasted about an hour for 3/4 of face (from below the eyes) and neck as I didn't need a brow lift.

After treatment:Immediately
I didn't show any visible signs of having any treatment done. Back in early 2008 I've had Fractional Laser done at the same clinic for pitted acne scarring, so I know what its like to have to wait about a week before being able to return to work. Not the case with Ultherapy and that's whats great about it. Only felt a little sore around the lower jawline where there's bone below the skin.

After treatment:One week
I didn't see any noticeable difference like some other lucky reviewers. 2 areas that were sore at the jawline showed slight yellowish bruise spots that was easily covered with make-up while at work and no one noticed anything.

After treatment:Now (One month later)
Yellow bruises disappeared after a week. Tenderness, gone after 2 weeks. While I don't notice much difference around my face and jaw, there's definite improvement on my neck...which to me, was quite disgusting before treatment. So I'm very happy and can't wait for the next couple of months to see more improvement. My previous experience with Fractional Laser has taught me how the treatments help the skin to keep improving with time over many many months. I am just as confident that Ultherapy will work the same way for me.

Everyone's skin and condition is different and some of us respond to treatment better than others. I hope I respond to Ultherapy as well as I did with the Laser but I think one needs to manage their expectations about the results. What's important is to ensure that you have a doctor who is experienced in that particular treatment to minimize any side effects like "welts" that I have been reading on these reviews. Also, someone who is competent with pain management so you will have a less painful = less stressful session. For these and the results, its worth the time and money. In my case, my doc and the staff at the clinic are so fun and easy to be with that I had a blast while I was there :-)

I hope anyone else contemplating Ultherapy will find this information helpful.

Not sure this is the place for it, but might as well.

I would like to share some of my loot of online research and personal phone calls to various clinics in Western Canada and Washington.

I do agree with most people that an experienced doctor is very important. Seems like some posters worship their doctors. Personally I like my Ulthera doctor in Vancouver. He is very busy, knows what he is talking about and gave me advice that made sense. I have to say that he is not "sensitive" and fuzzy but that is not what I am looking for. In fact, he was straight to the point with me about the reality of aging and what is realistic. Pricing was fair, waited a bit. Being a cynic, I don't believe there is a perfect clinic out there, I am happy with just good and honest doctors. How I picked my doctor in Vancouver? See my method here and hope this can be useful for others: For those of you in the BC area or Vancouver area, here is my breakdown of all the clinics as of Sept 2011. Yes, almost stalker-ish, but I researched every website, including all Ulthera videos and websites, regularly and doctors. Yes, this paranoid freak called every place before doing my first treatment (except Dr. E in North Vancouver as he or she was a very recent addition to Ulthera's list and I was worried that he or she wouldn't have enough experience). From the first, Lupin, Victoria (end of 2009), Cheng, Vancouver (spring 2010), Wong, Richmond (summer 2010), Queen's Park Laser (not a doctor? technicians), Richmond (spring 2011)and Ebrahim, North Vancouver (summer 2011). I basically researched each one online and by calling their offices. In general, being paranoid, I don't trust clinics or doctors with many poor reviews or clinics with perfect and poor reviews only (the doctor can't be both god and demon but no where in between). I have tried many clinics in the past for Botox and other treatments, and found that those doctors with a god/demon reviews are usually demons in disguise. After a few good lessons personally, now I use my gut instinct and my head and have not gone wrong with Ulthera and my choice of doctor.

I am from the Vancouver area and would like to know which dr. you selected?

Hi everyone and Jeenu, After researching for more than one and half year, I have made the jump into Ulthera thanks to everyone's input. I feel I need to do my bit and give back by starting to post. I am still intrigued by Ulthera and I keep up with it. After reading your experience and "debrat"'s experience, I thought both of you were the same person! I was also amazed that both of you had bruising. My bad, I didn't see that you wrote that you shared the same doctor. For my work (yes, working girl needs to make those $$$ to keep me looking good), I can't afford to be bruised. Since I am planning for a second round of Ulthera at the end of the year, I was worried because it is hardly mentioned by posters online as well as the many clinics I have called prior to doing the first treatment. I called my doctor's office in Vancouver and was told that they don't recall seeing a patient with bruising from Ulthera (they are one of the most experienced clinics in Western Canada). I mentioned that you had freezing prior to Ulthera. They told me that likely the bruising was from the needle and not Ulthera. PLEASE, PLEASE confirm this for me so I don't have to worry. I am worried about the bruising experienced by the both of you.
Dr. Ebrahim

Dr is not only a funny, sensitive and caring individual, she's also constantly acquiring new knowledge in many other areas of related expertise, professionally. While we can read up on reviews and google searches, it helps when you have doctor like her who takes the time to explain in simple terms all about the various treatments and the pros and cons associated with it...takes away all the confusion!