46 years old, work out regularly - Happy So Far - Stuart, FL

I had Smart Lipo done on Feb. 19 on my upper and...

I had Smart Lipo done on Feb. 19 on my upper and lower abdomen and flanks.  I'm 46 years old, work out regularly, but never have been able to get my stomach looking good - I do cardio and lift weights regularly, but nothing worked.  About 2 years ago, I went to a well respected surgeon to ask about regular lipo.  He said I was not a candidate for lipo since I had some loose skin and he felt a tummy tuck would give me the best results and lipo would just leave me with looser skin.  I was not happy with the idea of getting a huge scar across my bikini line so I did not get the tummy tuck.  When I heard about SmartLipo being able to tighten the skin as well, I had to check it out.  I went back to the same surgeone and he said he could definitely do a great job for me using SmartLipo.  Unlike most posts I've read, I was given a lot of anesthesia so I did not feel anything during the procedure.  It took approximately 2 hours and after I woke up in the recovery room, a nurse sat with me for about 45 minutes.  I had two incisions low on my bikini line, one at the top of my belly button and two in my back around waist high.  There was one stitch put in each incision with a bandaid over each.  I had about 2 liters of fat removed and had a compression garment on around my waist.  Make sure you have someone to drive you home and care for you the first day.  I slept for about 2 hours and then the effects of the anesthesia started to wear off.  I was expecting all the leaking and drainage everyone talks about, but I had none.  Apparently, my surgeon sucked it all out and there wasn't even a drop left to come out of me.

On the first day, I felt as though I went through a very rigorous workout and was sore, but not hurting.  The next day I felt worse.  I was very uncomfortable to say the least.  My flanks, lower abs and back were extremely sore and it was painful to get out of bed, sit, etc.  I took my pain meds, but they didn't help all that much.   I felt pretty uncomfortable for about 3-4 days.  I started wearing Spanx instead of the wraparound garment because it was tighter and didn't have the seams which bothered me.  It was extremely difficult to get the Spanx on and off, but it was well worth it.  I slept in them as well and they really helped me to keep everything tight and get better results. After 3-4 days, I really noticed the difference - I actually had a flat stomach for the first time in my life!  Although my lower abs are still a bit swollen, I can see a dramatic improvement.

I went back to the doctor a week later and he removed my stitches.  All I had were five tiny incisions that will close up and barely be noticed.  I do have lots of bruising (especially on my lower back).  The odd bruising I never expected was to my pubic area and my lower hip/upper thigh area.  It's been 10 days and all I have left is bruising on my back and public area.  My abs and waist look so much better and I am extremely please with the results already.  He said he needed to give me lots of anesthesia because he would not have been able to work so vigorously on me if I was awake.  He said I still had another 40% swelling to go down in my lower abs and 20% to go down in my waist and in about a month I would sort of get all sucked in.

I am already happy with the way I look so it can only get better as far as I'm concerned.  Yes, I was very uncomfortable for a week, but it was well worth it.  I have not had a flat stomach my entire life even after putting in all that hard work at the gym.  Just make sure you get a great surgeon - I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's better if you are not awake during the procedure and the surgeon can do more work and you won't feel a thing.

P. Dudley Giles, Stuart, FL

He is a well respected board certified surgeon who specializes in only the body (breasts, lipo, etc.) He is extremely knowledgeable and honest about what to expect and the results you should see.

Hi Shel777 Happy to know that you are comimg along fine. I am getting smaller everyday not as flat as i would like to be but comming along nicely. I can wear form fitting dresses now and friends and family say that I look great and have notice the weight lost. They don't know about my smartlipo and never will my secret.I am sill sore aroud the middle.Everyday gets a little better please continue to feel great and flat.
Good to hear you are both better. My doctor also suggested heat for circulation. He said hot tub or the heating pad. Very lumpy and numb, but it changes daily. I am just over 2 weeks now and I am still pretty excited. I lost 10 pounds. I also found myself too sore to even make it to the kitchen and the medication did take the cravings off. Then, I paid a lot of money to jump start the "better body" and I better not screw it up. The doctor said I should shrink up another inch until my next appt. in 2 weeks. Oh, ya I found out that he took out 3500 cc's. Maybe that is why I may be a little more sore. It was worth it though. I think if I am 3 mos out and still lumpy, I will be concerned. Still all a little crazy. Never thought I would do this, but I feel much better about myself. It is nice having you 2 as a support system.
I am going in for my 2 week post op check up on 3/10. I am lumpy and I have to say, "still a little sore." Today is the first day I haven't taken pain meds. I guess everyone is different. Going to Mexico the end of April. I gave it a good 2 monhs for healing. Hope it is good enough for a bathing suit! Can't wait. Stuartgirl you sound like you are doing well. Slim, too.
Good luck at your post-op. Mine is scheduled for 3/13. I still feel a little sore, but lumpy. I've been massaging my abs every morning since I've read alot about massaging (and lymphatic drainage?) to get rid of the lumps. I'm going to ask my dr. how often to massage, etc. to see what he recommends. Let us know what your doctor has to say about getting rid of those lumps
Hey guys I'm doing much better still sore somewhat. My stomach has gotten a lot smaller so I'm happy about that. I still have three lumps but they also have begun to strink. My Dr. told me to take off my garment so its has been a week since I had it on, even though he suggested that I wear it when I go to the gym I am waiting two more weeks before I start. I still massage everyday along with the hating pad before bed Dr. orders to help the blood flow.I now can see a smaller waistline starting to take shape, remember i still have swelling.
stuartgal, do you mind telling me who your surgeon was? I live in the fl area. Any help, would be appreciated, thank you!
{now listed above. must register for free to view}
Stuartgal, I just had the exact procedure 5 days ago and I could have written the same review. I was awake off and on, though. I love my flat stomach and hour glass figure. I am amazed so far. I don't have a lot of bruising (except pubic/lower stomach.) I am so sore and swollen though. When did the pain subside? Tell me it is coming soon... For others out there...Use the MPX, make sure the fat gets "suctioned" out and make sure you have an experienced doctor. It is your only body-do your research.
I am 10 days out and happy to say I went to the gym this morning! My doctor gave me the go ahead but suggested I wear the garment while exercising. I still feel a little sore at night so I take Tylenol, but the pain is gone! I did a lot of walking the past week and I used a little handheld roller to massage myself while laying down and it really helped. Although the doc said I could take off the compression or Spanx after two weeks, I am going to try and continue with it because I think it really helps keep me tight. Hang in there and you'll be fine!
Stuartgal, Thanks for the encouragement. 6 days out:I have to say that this morning, the pain is a little better. I can't wait to go workout, myself. I think I will walk on our treadmill a little today, because I read it was good for circulation, but watch out for more swelling. After rereading what I wrote on the first comment,(pain killer induced,)my flat tummy was the very next morning after surgery. I am very swollen all around right now. I am trying to be patient and I must say the pain is getting better. I have to also thank my husband for being so good and helpful. Not pretty now, but will be later!!
Hang in there, you are going to be amazed in the next week. I forgot to mention that the compression around my waist has also helped curb my usually insatiable appetite! I have been eating really well and I have to say, even though it's only been another 2 days since I wrote my review, all of a sudden, my stomach is even flatter than ever - of course, my pants are too loose now, but who cares! I am very happy. Good luck!
thanks you guys have given me a new strength to wait it out day by day. I had my smartlipo about 17 days on upper and lower abs and 10 days on my sides. my stomach is not flat yet but a lot of the swelling have went down I can't wait. My Dr. says it will take about 2 more mon. before i have the look that I want. I still feel a little something but I quess it is a part of the healing. I do have two lumps on my stomach so thanks.
I feel great and have been going to the gym and back to my full workouts with no problem. I also have a couple of lumps. I have been trying to massage them, but from what I've read, it will take about 2 months for the skin to adapt to the new contours of the body. I am still wearing compression garment on and off and am hopeful that the lumps will go down eventually!