I Done It! - Halifax, Nova Scotia

I am 41 yrs old. I have two beautiful boys ages 10...

I am 41 yrs old. I have two beautiful boys ages 10 and 12. I have worked out consistently for the past 10 yrs and I eat very healthy. I am in good shape and fairly muscular. However, my tummy and navel has never responded to my excercising since my boys were born. They are stretched beyond return and no matter how much core and cardio I done, I realized that this was beyond my control. I dreamed of having a belly that actually reflected the hard work I put into it on a daily basis.

Had my pre-op at 11:45 on May 2, 2012. My surgery...

Had my pre-op at 11:45 on May 2, 2012. My
surgery followed at 1:00. On the way to the OR
the nurse asked me to empty my bladder. I went
In to the washroom and quickly realized I had
Just started my period. I let the nurse know and
went to my locker to get a tampon. The nurse
said it was no big deal at all and that I would be
surprised on how many ladies do start around
their surgery. I went into the OR where the anesthesiologist
put an IV in and the nurse gave me a gas mask
to breathe into and the next thing I know I was
Waking up and it was done!

Post Op Day 3. I feel great today! Up around and...

Post Op Day 3. I feel great today! Up around and able to make myself a coffee. No pain, just stiffnesss but still taking my meds regularly. I also just had my first BM! Yay! I have been eating super healthy and have been drinking lots of water so I think that may have helped. My spirits are great! I know I still have a long road to recovery but if things don't get any worst....I can totally handle this :)
Hope my other surgery buddies are doing well!
To all the other girls due for surgery this week......you guys can do this! Sending loads of positive energy your way! hugs!

1 week Post Op Got my drains out today! Feels...

1 week Post Op
Got my drains out today! Feels soooo good to be rid of those freakin' things! Can't believe I was able to conceal them from my children for a whole week. Certainly required some creativity! lol. Doc says everything looks good! I feel much better than I ever expected! Even took advantage of being in the city...and got a couple hours of shopping done! The only issue I have right now is that I have developed a cough. Each time I cough it is brutal! I don't even leave a room without a bottle of water and a pack of strepsils in my hand just in case I get that tickle in my throat. I'm really nervous that I may bust my incision. Bending over and applying pressure on the incision during an episode certainly seems to help. Really hoping it goes away soon!

8 days Post Op
Yay! Got to take my first shower since surgery. Feels amazing. Looking forward to walking to the bus stop to pick up my son today. Still have that annoying cough but each episode does seem to be a little less intense!
I was very concerned about keeping this surgery a secret since it was a very personal decision for me and certainly not one I took lightly. I am off work on "vacation" and I am feeling confident that if even now, someone walked into my house they would not suspect that I had any type of surgery. That certainly is a big relief for me! Really don't want to feel I have to justify my decision to anyone.

2 weeks Post Op Went to the clinic yesterday to...

2 weeks Post Op
Went to the clinic yesterday to have my prineo (skin closure used in place of sutures) removed. The removal was very fast and caused very little discomfort. So now I am free of bandages. My incision looks much better than I expected. The nurse felt that everything was healing wonderful and I could stop wearing my CG after 3 weeks post op. Yay!
I continue to feel great. However, if I do too much I get a lot of tightening ...which is good, since it's a warning sign to slow down. I am very pleased with the results so far and have just posted my 2 weeks post op pics. I go back to see my PS at 8 weeks post op.

3 Weeks Post Op Back to work this week. Went...

3 Weeks Post Op
Back to work this week. Went much better than I expected. Even started getting back into exercising. Nurse said I can remove my CG at three weeks but I have still been using it at night, during exercise and anytime I feel tight and tired. I am able to cough and sneeze now without much pain ....just tightening. Really starting to feel myself again!

4 Weeks Post Op
Each week things continue to improve. I have been so blessed so far in terms of recovery! My belly button is still red though, so I am a little nervous about getting a bath or swimming yet. I am pleased that my stomach is getting some of it's natural curvature back and looks less block like. I can't believe my surgery was a month ago! I am so excited that I went through with it and was able to keep it a secret from everyone (except my husband of course)! Can't wait to hit the beach this summer!
Nova Scotia Plastic Surgeon

I had seen other Plastic Surgeons for consultations but just got that warm,comfortable feeling with Dr. Bendor-Samuel which made him a perfect fit for me.

So excited going to see this doctor tomorrow about my tummy tuck. Only called on Monday, but they had a cancellation. So excited I've lost 80 lbs and this is the last step for me.
Hi Helle37828, Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! Dr. Bendor-Samuel is amazing! You will love him! Let me know how things go and don't hestitate to message me if you have any questions or concerns. Cheers!
Saw him today for tummy tuck and breast lift today. He can book me in for next Wednesday!! Definitely going with tummy tuck still debating about the breast lift.
Next Wednesday! Wow! That is so exciting! All the best!
Could I ask you a question? I'm scheduled for a consultation with Dr. Bendor-Samuel in November, but I'm worried about what the cost will be. I really think I will need a full tummy-tuck with lipo (as opposed to the mini tummy tuck's that they talk about sometimes). Was the $8136 price for a full or a mini tuck? And did it include lipo? Thank you. :)
Hi nswriter, So nice to hear from you! The price was for a full tummy tuck, no lipo. Feel free to ask any questions. I have absolutely no regrets!
Thank you. I have a consultation next Friday on oct 26 and I can't wait. I'm much like you although a little older ( 45). I eat right, exercise regularly and still have a bulging belly with stretch marks. I only had one child.....and that was18 years ago. I can't believe I finally have the opportunity (ie, money) to do this!! I should be a good candidate for the surgery. Very excited but also nervous. Never been "under" before. Thanks for your reply!
It was my first time "under" as well!

You look totally fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

MamaD, Have you looked at my profile pix yet? We have the close to the same tummy. I posted some 8 day swimsuit pix today. I m still pretty swollen especially if you look from the side. I hope in another four days I will look more like you. Congrats, you have a beautiful body!
Thank-you blue eyes! You're so sweet!
You look great!!!now you have the perfect body!!be proud girl, you look awesome!!SOOOO happy for you:)
Thank-you so much AlexSee!
You look awesome! Now you've got a beautiful tummy to match your rocking legs! Congrats!
Thank-you SunnyLove! We BOTH look great :) Thanks so much for your continued support!
hey...how do i get your legs??...very nice!!
Thanks "Fromthetrenches"
I am not sure if there is another follow-up after
The 8 week appointment or not. I expect there would be
at 6 months or so. I'm sure you will be pleased with your results
as well. Dr. Bendor-Samuel is amazing!
wow!!! you look great...wonderful results, and it will only get better...you look fab!!
you look fantastic!! And just 2 weeks out! I hope I do half as well, but you are much fitter than I am and I also need lipo, I am 6 days away, can't wait!! Are you done seeing him at the 8 week post op? I will be driving to BC (my husband has been posted there) just around the 8 week mark.
HELLO!!! We have the same doctor! I really liked him, so glad all things are going well for you so far. Do you have drains? Will you be posting before and afters?? So happy you found me, sorry again that I didn't reply earlier! Hope you update again soon :)
Hey there "fromthetrenches", so nice to hear from you!
I had 2 drains but just got them removed yesterday. So good to be rid of those dang things! I will be posting some before pics shortly. I will wait for next week to post the after pics when I get the skin closure tape off. Dr. Bendor Samuel used a combination of mesh and liquid adhesive called Prineo instead of sutures. Seems to be working fine with less maintenance required.
I still can't believe I actually got it done! I have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised so far with every aspect of the journey. I think reading the forums on this site ceratinly prepares you for the worst.
oh wow, neat!! I've actually asked no questions!! I'm so excited and trusting that I figure what ever happens will be for the best :) I wonder if he'll do the same for me? Can't wait to find out! Looking forward to seeing your photos. I'm seriously so excited I have a hard time not telling everyone I see that I am getting it done :)
MamaD...I'm scheduled to start on my surgery day too! Must be true what the nurse says. lol