I Had Surgery a Week and A Half Ago

I'm 34, mother of 2, had two hernia's (one failed...

I'm 34, mother of 2, had two hernia's (one failed hernia operation), a totally absent belly button and a lot of loose skin. Admitedly, my anxiety was high at even the thought of a surgery. But after dealing with girdles that either roll up my belly or under my belly and all the other uncomfortable contraptions, I gave in.

I had my surgery a week and a half ago with the most amazing Doctor ever. He was great, his recovery room staff were great, even his anesthesiologists was great--hilarious. They all made me feel comfortable, like I really had nothing to worry about. And I didn't.

Since my surgeon requires patients with Tummy Tucks to go to an after-care facility for one night where you're waited on hand and foot by nursing staff, you feel like royalty. The smoothies were excellent.

I can't even imagine having had to go home right after that major surgery to my 2 and 3 year old with drains and bleeding and medications and vitaling. My husband is great, but I think it would've been tough for him. So I stayed two days. ;-) When I got out, I was walking well, learned how to manage my pain, cleaned up and relaxed, ready to heal.

The best part, I think, my surgeon was more than a surgeon. He's actually invented some of the procedures that other doctors are using. And did the hybrid tummy tuck on his wife, Extra presenter, Dayna Devon. I work with doctors for a living and I know what makes a good docor great is 1) bedside manner and 2) someone who doesn't treat you like a list of plug and play symptoms but someone who goes above and beyond to better his work, the industry for that matter.

Pros-My biggest concern was that I'd look boxy in the middle, not really natural. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but with tummy tucks, I've noticed a sort of boxy look in the abdomen, not really sculpted or contoured like a natural look would have. I would have been happy to live with the box above what I had but I must say, only a week and a half later, I'm seeing the contour and I'm really pleased. I'm not sure if that was the extra lipo-sculpting that did it. I think so.

Cons-Drains for 7-10 days, maybe longer depending on how you heal. Mine was 7 days. Little nagging pains. Constipation from the vicodin. I had to stop taking Vicodin after 3 days and switch to Tylenol. But that first bowel movement was excrutiating.

Hey all. Im 12 days post op and UGH Im going crazy because I have 2 and 4 yr old at home that really need my attention. Im still feeling weird about my tummy. The incision doesnt hurt at all. BUT its all the tightness in my abs that are kicking my butt right now. I cant stand straight all the way yet. What I do is I stand up against the wall for a few mins a days about 3 to 4 times a day and I find that relieves the tension from being hunched over. I still cant fit into my clothes. I think its cuz my cut is still tender so I cant put NOTHING over them. My Dr told me I could stop wearing my binder a week ago. BUT Im weary about that. I keep reading about people wearing them religiously so Im wearing some shorts looking gurdle that I bought at the mall. ALSO yelling at my teenager doesnt help out AT ALL. When I eat I feel like my stomach is gona bust... is any of this normal. I tried on my bikini this morning and was discouraged because it seems that the incision at the begining and end is too high for my bathing suit =-( then again if he woulda gone any lower it would be in a sensitive part of my body.. I hope all of this was worth it. I do have a flat tummy. The lower part is swollen still. I guess it woulda helped to have said from the get go that I had a full tummy tuck, and lipo on my lower back and backside of my ribs... that hurt really bad. Someone tell me Ill be nomal someday. My muscles feel so numb its scary, they are tight and pull with any move. OH and DONT COUGH OR SNEEZE... GOD I felt like something inside of me came undone sorta like when u pull velcro apart... =-( Not feeling too great. Im almost regreting this whole thing. I shoulda done lipo 1st.
I have the same problem with the girdles etc.. they just hold back the skin mostly you can still see the huge bulge that makes me look about 5 months prego... Plus I do massage and it's really hard with a hernia! Not too mention picking up the twins at 20 pounds each!! I'm thinking that if your doctor could do it without the alloderm (or mesh), than mine should too! And I totally agree about the boxy results that alot of people seem to get... I'd much rather find a surgeon who can make me look like I have a waist again!!
can you post pics of before and after? your doctor didnt need alloderm? thank you soo much for responding, i'm scheduling it in june soo the more info i have the better!
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

To live a comfortable life again without hiding my belly from my husband, my friends, or a high wind that wraps my clothes tight around my belly or lifts it up. It's nice to have my old self back again, girdle free. It feels right.