Tattoo Laser Removal - Wrist

I got my first tattoo on my wrist when I was 18....

I got my first tattoo on my wrist when I was 18. It didn't turn out that great so after a few years I had it covered up with a new tattoo (which had to be bigger and darker).

Its now been a few more years and I can see my previous tattoo showing through. It really annoys me and being on my wrist it is very visible. I really hate this tattoo now i'm so bored of it and it's not a great design. I've had 2 sessions of laser removal so far and i'm very pleased with the results. Yes its extremely painful, but it will be worth it in the end. Its only a small tattoo but on my tiny wrist it looks big and bold. Hate it! As I only had my second session the other day, its still very blistered and sore. I've uploaded a pic of the tattoo before any laser, and it right now after 2nd session. Any questions, just ask :)

Forgot to mention: my tattoo is about 5x5cm....

Forgot to mention: my tattoo is about 5x5cm. colours are red, black and green. i pay £50 per session which lasts 10 mins maximum but depends on how many times I ask for a quick breather/break. i really recommend the clinic, its called SK:N. They are very professional, hygienic, safe, and i'm so pleased with the process so far.

Update 04.02.13:-
The blisters have completely gone now. Looks like its healing nicely. Starting to become itchy, as it does!
I will upload a photo when this is completely healed, just before my next session (which will be my 3rd).

Tattoo removal can be a very daunting and frustrating journey. But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And if I can do it, you can :-)

Today my wrist looks like its healing really well....

Today my wrist looks like its healing really well. The scabs have almost all come off and its only been just over a week since my treatment. Excited as I see my very faded tattoo beneath. Next session on March 10th :)

I've got my 3rd session this Sunday. Will upload...

I've got my 3rd session this Sunday. Will upload more pics :) wish me luck x

I had my 3rd session yesterday. I take Co-Dydramol...

I had my 3rd session yesterday. I take Co-Dydramol pain killer tablets (prescription only) to help with the pain. I knew they were going to increase the intensity this time so I took 2 tablets instead of just 1. I also used EMLA numbing cream 1 hour before treatment. The nurse turned up the intensity quite a bit, yet I found this session less painful than my last! It must be the extra painkiller I took. Only thing is, Co-Dydramol makes me very drowsy and you can't drive whilst taking it. I've re-dressed it a few times now, and from what I can see, it looks much more faded! This time, the tattoo has not blistered at all, which is great! Blistering is really horrible. I am keeping the tattoo covered whilst at work and keep applying Aloe Vera gel and CU3 Complex cream (intensive tissue repair cream). My next (4th) session is on 20th April. I will upload a new photo of my tattoo when it is fully healed :-)

So I had my 4th session of laser on my tattoo...

So I had my 4th session of laser on my tattoo yesterday. They turned the laser up to maximum intensity and it HURT. I still use numbing cream on my wrist an hour before the treatment. My nurse said that my results would be much better if I didn't use the numbing cream any more as it thickens the skin (and makes the laser less effective.. So next time I will try it without. My wrist is very sore and it bled quite a bit after the session. I can see some definite fading already which is encouraging! Session number 5 is on 2nd June :-)

Session 5 - complete!

So I had session number 5 last weekend. My tattoo is healing well and I can see some very good fading! I'm quite excited actually! I booked my next session for August 25th as that gives me 2-3 months to enjoy summer, then I will carry on every 6 weeks. Its now getting too warm to wear long sleeves to cover up my wrist and its just plain uncomfortable when its hot. If anything, the downtime will do the fading process some good! Its funny because I am now on the highest intensity with the laser and my nurse said its going to take much longer to heal, but to be honest its healing faster than ever! Which is fantastic.. I hate the healing process which normally takes a week - 2 weeks. My tattoo is scabbed over and I can see the much-faded tattoo underneath. Its been 5 days since my session and I think it will be fully healed by next week. Very encouraging results. I will post a photo when it's healed. Comments/ questions are welcome :-) Annie x

Still using numbing cream..

I forgot to mention; I am still using numbing cream. I know I should try it without, but i'm just too scared of the pain. I mean, with the numbing cream its pretty damn painful, so without the cream, it would probably be hell. I will try it without numbing cream at some point, I just couldn't do it this time! Fellow laser people will understand :)

Tattoo is fading well, but expect I've still got a long way to go!

Laser session number 6

Today I had laser session 6. I asked the nurse how many more she thought I would need and she said realistically about 4. That's music to my hears, I really thought it would be more like another 10. I was also told that as the ink gets less and less, I will have less effects after treatment. In other words, it should blister as much and it should heal quicker. Its been a few hours since my session and I've already taken off the dressing and its really not too bad! Its not blistered this time and the swelling isn't as bad as it normally is. Pics of healed tattoo will be uploaded in a few weeks :-)

6th session

Hi guys just thought I'd update this. I had my 6th laser session at SK:N about 3 weeks ago and my tattoo is all healed now. I've paid for a package of 4 sessions so I've got another 3 left and then I've decided to try the Picosure laser. I have to travel a bit further and pay quite a lot more for that laser but I've heard it's really effective. My tattoo is definitely fading, but not as much I had hoped by the 6th session. I know I need to be patient but it's taken just under a year to get to session 6 (with 2 months of no laser for summer) and I really want to speed up the process with this new laser.

Not giving up

Just had my 7th session on the weekend. Its healing well and not blistered at all. I see slight fading but it should fade more in the next few weeks. Session 8 is booked for 16th Nov. Then I will have one more after with the same laser (old technology) then I will book my first session at Trueskin in Esher, Surrey, with the new Picosure laser. Photo to follow in a few weeks :-)

Update

This is how far I've come... So far. October 2013

8th session this Saturday

Just uploaded pics of my tattoo today just before my 8th session. I took different angles so you can see how each area is fading.

Session number 8

So I had session number 8 last weekend. I've uploaded a pic - its still quite scabby. It seems to be fading less now. Hopefully the Picosure laser can pick up from the old laser and get rid of this thing once and for all! It's been a long journey and mental patience is KEY for success.
Session number 9 is on December 29th. Then I will be trying out the new Picosure laser for session 10.

Peace & Love x

Picosure

I've booked my first Picosure laser session with Trueskin in Esher for 1st Feb 2014. It will be a consultation, patch test and my first session all in the one visit. I've been quoted £299 per session for my tattoo. Expensive, but so worth it if it's quicker and more effective!!! :) let's just hope I don't need many.

Dec 2013

9th session with q-switched laser coming up. Then 10th will be with picosure

Just found this photo...

Session #9

So I had my last session at SK:N on Sunday. My tattoo blistered a bit and it also bled this time. I think it's healing well. Looking back on 2013 I spent the whole year going through this removal process and I still have more to come. It's been difficult mentally and very painful. I could've easily given up on this, but I am so determined to get this off me. Some days I've felt so down about it. Looking down at my wrist and thinking "why did I do this to myself?!" and feeling such despair. I have to stay positive, I've come a long way and if this is how far I've come in a year, it's exciting to think that by next Christmas, this tattoo should be GONE. I've found it so reassuring coming on here and reading other people's stories and views it's really helped me. I'm glad I'm not alone :-)

Anyway, I've got my first session of Picosure on 1st Feb which I'm actually looking forward to. I want to see what all the fuss is about. I have high hopes for the green and black ink, but not so much the red. Luckily, the red is the largest part of my tattoo which means once the green and black have gone, I can go back to the old lasers to finish off the red (the old lasers are much cheaper!).

Photos to follow :-)

xx

Photo

Here is my tattoo right now- 3 days after session 9.
There are scabs forming and it is blistered but I think when that all heals/falls off, the tattoo will be very faded underneath... From what I can see already!

Feeling positive

I'm seeing great results with my fading. I can't wait for the scabs to heal/fall off so I can take a photo! The red looks so much lighter and some of the black is almost gone! Exciting!

Photo update

Still not healed and still very scabby, but i just thought i'd show my progress.

Does anyone else find this.....

So after I have a laser session on my tattoo, it scabs and everything as normal. Then when it starts to heal, the tattoo looks very light and faded, but when it heals completely the colour seems to come back.... It's hard to explain but was wondering if anyone else has experienced that?

Photo update

19 days after session #9

First Picosure session on 1st Feb

I really am hoping for miracles now. My tattoo seems to have completely stopped responding to q-switched lasers . I hope so badly I wont need any more than 2 picosure sessions. They are so expensive! £300 every six weeks is just soul destoying! I'm just glad it's a relatively small tattoo, I feel so bad for people removing large tattoos. Still, at least we have the choice of removal! I bet in a few years laser tattoo removal will be so cheap. Man, this process is long :-(

Picosure

If anyone who's had picosure laser sessions on their tattoo, I'd love to hear what you think about the pain, effectiveness, cost etc.

I feel I have such high hopes and expectations for this new laser as it's very expensive and raved about. I really hope it lives up to its name! Updates to follow after my first session on 1st feb :)

My first Picosure session

So I had my first Picosure session yesterday at Trueskin in Esher.
The clinic was lovely and the staff were very friendly. I had a lady called Edita for my consultation and session. She was so enthusiastic and helpful.
We had an in depth chat about the Picosure laser and she talked me through everything. She said most clients say the pain is much worse than q-switched lasers, which I agree with. It's a slightly different kind of pain, but definitely worse. Edita couldn't believe I'd had 9 previous laser sessions and she was optimistic that Picosure would produce much better results. She told me not to take my co-dydramol painkillers and not to use numbing cream; apparently if I had came in with the numbing cream on or had taken painkillers she wouldn't have been able to carrying out the session; it's against their policy for the client to use these when undergoing Picosure laser treatment. So I'm glad I didn't put anything on before I went in! As I'd never felt the true pain of a laser without numbing or painkillers, I was so nervous as I didn't know what to expect, plus the fact it's a new laser. Edita carried out a patch test on my tattoo on 3 areas of each colour. She saw I didn't have any pin point bleeding or any strange reactions so she proceeded to laser the entire tattoo. It was over within a few minutes. Much quicker than the q-switched laser. I was pleased to see the green reacted very well and turned a pale yellow colour. I was talked through the payment options and as I will probably need at least 4 Picosure sessions (let's be realistic), I decided to go for the picoplan. The picoplan is a payment plan that pretty much guarantees removal within a year. Each session costs £299 for me so I paid that for my first session and from now on I will pay £75 a month for a year for 3 more treatments every 6 weeks. If the tattoo is still visible, they will give me another 4 sessions free of charge. I think if it's still not removed then they keep treating it until it's gone. This basically means for a total of £1200 (including full payment for my first session) my tattoo is treated until it's fully removed. So this works out the best plan of action with regards to cost. I will upload a photo of my tattoo right now which is swollen and has tiny blisters. I am told I will see some good fading in about 4-6 weeks. So far so good I think! Just a little side note; I started having laser sessions on my tattoo about 14 months ago. And Picosure could take another year.

Photos

Tattoo 4 days after picosure

I swear I will never get rid of this damn thing....

Unsure about pico

So I'm pretty sure my tattoo has not changed one bit after the picosure treatment. I thought the green was a bit faded but now it's healed the colour is still as vibrant as it always was. I'm booking in my next picosure session because I can't give up on removing this. I'm just feeling very disappointed that the expensive Picosure is producing worse results than the cheap q-switched laser.

Black ink

Also, the black ink has not budged one bit from picosure, how depressing!

Tattoo pic

Still healing but thought id upload another pic... I can't see any fading from picosure, does anyone think it's not fading?

Update on first Picosure session

So my tattoo's pretty much healed now and I really don't see any further fading. I've signed up for the Picoplan so it's £75 for the next 12 months until this thing is gone. I was looking at my photos on here and realised I should really take them in natural day light so they're all consistent. I'll do that from now on. I'm starting to lose hope in this whole thing. I can't believe how bold and dark my tattoo still is, it's depressing, after all the sessions I've had and all the money spent and I still have a very visible tattoo. Well, here's hoping they turn the laser up for Picosure number 2. I don't care how much it hurts; I just want it gone. Next session is booked for 15th March.

Still no change

Really disappointed with first Picosure treatment. I see no fading whatsoever!

Picosure Laser Settings

The lady who did my first picosure session told me that there is only one setting on the picosure laser. So it won't increase at all. Does it really only have one setting?! If you're having picosure, i'd really like to hear what you think or what you've been told. As I really can't believe they would only have one setting.. which so far has done nothing to my tattoo!

Other companies using our photos

I had someone message me on here to let me know that they found my tattoo pictures on a laser website using it as their own. Is there anything I can do about this?! I'm a bit annoyed I wasn't even asked.

Update

So my 2nd picosure session is next weekend. Here's a pic of my tattoo right now 5 weeks after my first picosure treatment.

Picosure #2 (11th laser session)

So I had my second picosure session yesterday which is my 11th laser session included the q-switched laser sessions. The lady put the machine on maximum setting as I had not great results from the first session. It hurt much more (as expected) but I had my lovely sister there to hold my hand. It's still very swollen but here's a pic of it right now. Updates to follow :-)

2nd Picosure

I went to Center Parcs over the weekend and my tattoo was quite blistered. I went in the spa sauna rooms and swimming pools and my tattoo was fine it didn't hurt or anything. The blisters have now popped and it's all healing well. I do see some fading which is good news. Next session on 26th April :-)

Side by side photo

Picosure

I've only got 20 days until my 3rd picosure session (12th laser session in total) and I really think I still have a very long way to go. My laser technician said she thought4 picosure sessions will clear my tattoo completely, but I really don't see that happening. Anyway, I knew it was going to be a long journey so I never had my hopes too high. Next session on 26th April.

Update

Just thought I'd upload a new pic of my tattoo to show it's progress.

Looks like you got some great fading from this last treatment! Are you feeling a bit more hopeful with this one?
Great fading since your last update, thanks for updating us. How do you feel about your progress so far?
Thank you! I feel it's been such a long time since I started this, it will be 2 years this November. I probably will need another year on this and although it's faded significantly, I did hope for complete removal within 1 year.
Thanks for the update, I did some research for you and found an FAQ that speaks to red ink removal:
DOES PICOSURE GET RID OF RED INK?
PICOSURE LASER FOR QUICKER TATTOO REMOVAL?

Thanks so much for that!
I have found that in the later sessions of removal (post treatments 5 or more depending on results), waiting at least 3 months b/w treatments will heed the best results as you have to allow yr body time to oull away the ink. Best of luck in yr upcoming treatment :)
*pull
Yeah I think I will leave it a bit longer between treatments in future, maybe 2 months will be ok. Thanks :)
Definite fading in those pesky leaves! Also, cool to see the red/pink looking a lot less vivid! That black looks like a stubborn little bugger though! Keep at it.
Thanks I will do! It's still scabby so when it's healed I'll take another pic and hopefully it will have faded even more :)
Hey, Are you sure she turned it right up to the maximum setting? I had my second picosure treatment last weekend and it looked a lot different afterwards to how yours looks. The skin was really red where the laser had been and its still not fully healed. Do you know what setting they used? My first was set at 2.9 and my second 2.8. (I believe 5 is the lowest setting and 1 the strongest)
Hey she said it was on the maximum setting but I didn't ask what number that was. It could be because I've had so many q-switched sessions that I don't have a huge amount of ink left to remove so it doesn't react as much. It's really blistered right now and is painful to touch. I think everyone just reacts differently. I will ask her what number setting she used when I go for my next session
I noticed that as well! I was extremely annoyed when I goggled "picosure removal", looked at images for that search and found my pictures along many other reviewers on RealSelf.
*googled. Also sorry, I thought you were just talking about searching for images on google.
That worries me, they obviously don't have any success pictures themselves if they're resorting to copying pictures from here which probably are from lasers not even offered at their clinic! Very misleading. Must admit the one thing putting me off picosure at trueskin was the fact the website only offered cynosure pictures which are in my opinion unrealistic.
No way! That's pretty crazy. I wonder if there is anything stopping people from lifting pictures from this site? Perhaps there isn't? Either way, would have been nice to have been asked!
yeah it's terrible isn't it! they are pretending i'm one of their clients its really mis-leading to people viewing the website. I don't think there's anything I can do really..
That's messed up!!! AKA copyright infringement. I'd contact the website/journalist and ask them...
I have had 3 pico sure treatments at Trueskin in Esher now. I didn't notice much fading after the first treatment either, but hang in there. I feel the second treatment I had produced the best results so far , but I am hoping I only need 1 possibly 2 more for it to go completely. They definitely can alter the settings. They advised me they started me off on a low setting to ensure there were no adverse reactions to my medication that i take. There weren't so they increased it the next time when I noticed a big difference. the lady I am seeing is also treating her mum and she has also had 3 treatments now. i met her mum the first time I went there and her tattoo has virtually disappeared completely. My only concern is because I have slightly olive toned skin, I think there may be some loss of the natural pigment in the area I have had treated. I used some Fakebake at the weekend though and this seemed to cover over the difference in skin tone pretty well. It is definitely a big improvement on having the tattoo on my arm.
Hi there :) I am also taking medication which they had to check it was ok first, and they said it should be fine. I've not had any strange reactions or anything so hopefully they'll increase the power for my second session. I have heard that people with dark skin can suffer from loss of pigment, but if you take proper care of your tattoo once treated it should be fine. Pigment can come back in time so if it does look strange I'm sure after a year or so your natural pigment will come back. I'm pretty lucky in that respect, I have very pale white skin so there's not a lot of pigment to lose lol!
And I am glad to hear they can alter the settings!
I am pretty sure laserhopeful is correct.
It can be set differently for sure. I think some of the confusion comes in around the word "power". I was told that there is only 1 power- strength of pulse- but the spot size is what they adjust. A smaller spot size = more power because the whole pulse is concentrated into a smaller space. So that explains why picosure has lower numbers associated with higher strength, i.e 2.8 is much stronger than 3.5. The 2.8 describes the diameter of the spot...:)? Let us know what you figure out!
I'm still trying to get my head around the Picosure settings. I know that it requires less energy (J) because shorter pulse durations mean higher peak powers, and the Picosure operates on the picosecond range, as opposed to nanosecond. With Q switched lasers you'll have a maximum amount of energy you can produce for each spot size - as you increase the spot size, the j/cm2 becomes less because, as laserhopeful said, the energy becomes less concentrated. My guessing is that the Picosure is the same - they'll start with the larger spot sizes and subsequently a lower available fluence to gauge the reaction with the skin and to work on the shallower ink, then once treatment progresses they'll decrease the spot size in order to get to work on the more stubborn stuff, by increasing the fluence --- but this still doesn't clear up why it starts at 3 and then works down, if indeed these figures refer to fluency. Confused!
Yes it is quite confusing. I can't get my head around the scientifics of these lasers I just like to know the power can be increased etc.