DDD to a D ... Feeling Lighter Everyday - Greenville, SC

I am 19 years old and live in asheville, nc. I...

I am 19 years old and live in asheville, nc. I have had large breasts since I was 13 years old (D). Every year in high school my breasts grew larger and larger without any explanation. By the time I graduated I was around a 36 dd and by Christmas 2012 I was a 38 DDD. I have been singled out as the girl with huge boobs "big boobs McGee", the biggest boobs I've ever seen. It really honestly sucks because they were so uncomfortable all I did was try to cover up the obvious.

My family and I recently went on a backpacking trip to the south of England, cornwall which was the last straw for me. My back was unbearably uncomfortable, I could hardly stand up straight and the only thing that helped me was the 10 lb backpack I was wearing. As soon as I got home me and my mother got a reccomendation from a family friend to see dr. Barry Bishop in Greenville, SC.

I saw my PS for the first time on April 17, 2013 and he said I was an excellent candidate with obviously disproportional breasts. He also told me that he would happily tell me the advantages and disadvantages in getting a breast reduction without any obligation to making him my surgeon. He has about 36 years of experience and I was very confident that I wanted him to be my surgeon. I had another appointment scheduled with another PS in June, but I wound up canceling it after talking to Dr. Bishop and our friends who had gone to him.

We filed with our bcbs insurance, but unfortunately they denied me because I didn't have enough proof of pain. Even though we had called them several times and they seemed confident. I find that to be completely unfair and honestly stupid because anyone who looks at me can see that they are to large for my body and clearly causing me pain. I am around 160 lbs and 5' 8" I am not by any means thin, but I am not big either especially not big enough for my 38 DDD's.

My parents decided that they wanted me to get the surgery anyways and were extremely supportive, so we scheduled it for may 15, 2013. The weeks before my surgery were a total train wreck of sleepless nights and way to much research. My one suggestion for anyone about to get this surgery is to not look up awful pictures and surgeries. I almost cancelled, but then I asked myself if I would be happy this summer with my large breasts and if I would wonder all summer "what if I had gone through with it?" I decided that I was willing to take the risk and trust my doctor.

I arrived at my plastic surgeons office on may 15 at 7:15 am. My surgery was performed right there because they have an accredited surgical center. It was a fast process, took a urine sample talked to my doctor who was so kind and calming, then my anesthesiologist and the next thing i knew I was lying on a bed being injected with something awesome!!!! I did cry a but before, but the staff was so understanding.

I was put under twilight anesthesia, which means I was not completely under during surgery, but I felt no pain and have little recollection of the procedure. Apparently I had several short conversations with my surgeon, which included me telling the staff I loved them and trying to see my stitches. I've been told I am hoot when I'm under the influence of surgical drugs. The one amazing thing about having twilight instead of general anesthesia is how much easier the recovery is after surgery. I was only in the recovery room for 1 1/2 hours before I got to go home. (I see my doctor next Wednesday to get some stitches removed)

Yesterday was a breeze because I had been injected with numbing stuff, but today has been difficult. The numbing stuff has worn off and honestly it feels like a lot of pressure and almost like a burning sensation. The pain meds help (hydrocodone), but I do feel quite nauseous on them.

I got to take my tight ace bandage wrapping off today. It was a total relief!!! I really didn't want to look at the twins, but my mother said they weren't bad so I looked and honestly they looked so much prettier then I expected :) everything has gone well up to this point. I think my biggest fear is necrosis but I am trying to do everything in my power to prevent that!
I get to shower tomorrow (3 days post op) I am so excited!!!!

3 days post op

Today was much easier than yesterday. I woke up around 6:30 am with a lot of pain so I took another pain pill, but after I had a shower around noon everything started to feel better. I have feeling in both my nipples already and the scars weren't half as gruesome as I had expected. I know it is a process so I am trying to keep my activity very minimal and ice as often as possible. So far bruising is little to none. I have been eating fairly healthy (lots of protein). I hope tomorrow is even better than today!

5 days post op.

Yesterday was hard for me. Lots of itching and very emotional. Today was good though. I actually got out for a little and got lunch with my mom. Being
Out wore me out though and I'm back in bed . Doss my bruising look normal ? It's not pretty!!!!!

16 days post op

It has been 16 days since my breast reduction. I haven't updated in a while because I've been so into seeing what my new body can do. I am so happy now and the pain/itching is little to none. I have started putting palmers vitamin E oil on my scara and it feel great. The hardest part for me still is sleeping. I have to sleep with pillows behind my back and one under each arm so that I don't turn over. Last time I woke up on my side it was very painful. I have been hiking a lot and can run in less than a week!!! Yay!!! Best decision I ever made
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

I have Had an amazing experience so far with plastic surgery associates of Greenville, SC. They are the kindest group of people. They calmed me down and made me feel so comfortable throughout my entire procedure. I would reccomend them to anyone looking to get a breast reduction:)

How are you feeling now?! Im pretty disappointed, my consult had to be rescheduled to this coming Friday (supposed to have been two weeks ago) due to my dr going to Oklahoma after the tornadoes-definitely a good cause. How long did your doctor say before you could do heavy lifting? That's the only thing that makes me nervous about the surgery because I have a 4 month old son that'll be probably 6 months before the procedure would even happen..idk what im going to do about that, my husband can't take too much time off!
8 weeks 10 pounds or less nothing over 10 pounds I miss working out that is all I'm missing . God bless you doll !
You look amazing!! I'm hoping it's the results of the surgery and not because you're a beautiful, vibrant 19 year old. I'm 50 and my surgery is in 6 days. Should have done this years ago. Good luck with your continued recovery!
Thanks for sharing, your story is making me feel more confident in my decision, we are actually the same size. My surgery is next month, im 7 years older than you so wishing I had done it,sooner.
Actually my surgery just got moved up to next Tuesday June 11, 2013. I am so nervous, any words of advice?
I am so happy for you!!! My advice would be to trust your doctor and be at peace with your decision :) let people take care of you after surgery and don't rush back to your everyday activities because you boobies won't like you if you push them to hard ;) take arnica montana and bromaise for bruising. i promise this will make your life a million times more enjoyable! Good luck and keep me posted on your progress!
I'm considering posting my progress as you did. I miraculously got my surgery covered by my insurance. Question, did yours include liposuction?
No I didn't need liposuction but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if yours is included.
Progress report, as requested ;) 2 days post op and not much pain bug burning is so intense sometimes, I cant handle it. I only have nipple sensation in my right breast so Im a little worried but all in all I am happier with the size. How long untill the swelling dies down a little, what was your experience?
Day 2, 3 and 4 were the hardest for me as far as burning/pain. It was more irritation than anything. As far as nipple sensation I got complete sensation back around day 4. I wouldn't be concerned about it though because each women is different and I know it can take several weeks for some women. Gets lots of Rest and by day 5 the burnin should subside and by day 10 you should begin to feel like yourself again. So happy for you, good luck!
So happy for you to have the 19 year old sized breasts you deserve. You look incredible you brave gal!!
thanks for sharing your story i can relate to your issues i am 4 days post op God bless you & look great!
Wow your results after 16 days are incredible!
Beautiful results McCallum:-)
Woop you look great! :-) are you not taping? I am so with you you on the back sleeping. I HATE IT!!
My doctor hasn't told me to type. What does that entail ???? What kind of tape ? What is it for ?
Tape*
My PS wanted me to use surgical tape on the incisions for 3 months, as this makes for less noticeable scars. The tape flattens and protects the scars, and keeps them from widening. Unfortunately I had a bad allergic reaction to the tape, and had to give it up, but I've seen others who've been able to keep it up, and the results are amazing. Have a look at Top Heavy's results to see what it looks like after 3 months: http://www.realself.com/review/new-zealand-nz-breast-reduction-surgery-scheduled-apprehensive
You look great!! Thank you so much for posting this. I have a consultation scheduled with a plastic surgeon June 7th. I had gone through the process before, but decided to wait since I hadn't had any children at that point and they stressed that after surgery you may not be able to breast feed..well, I wasn't able to anyways (probably because I'm so large!!). Anways, I really appreciate your story. I am 24 years old and wear a size H. I completely feel for you and all the pain you went through and it amazes me that you're insurance company wouldn't cover it as a medical necessity!! No one understands how uncomfortable/painful big breasts are unless they have big breasts themselves!! And I always say no one in their late teens/early twenties should have breasts this big!! So thank you for giving me even more courage to go through with this!
Thank you for your sweet comment. I am 10 days out and I feel better and better each day. You will be so fantastically happy when all is said and done.
You look great, definitely more proportionate!
You have way less bruising than I did at there days. They are looking very healthy and normal to me.
Your bruising doesn't look abnormal. Are you taking anything to help with bruising/swelling? I used Arnica Montana and ate fresh pineapple post surgery and my bruising was minimal. Also I have noticed gals who didn't have drains bruise a little more. Looking good!
I am taking arnica Montana! I should try the pineapple. I wonder if the fact that I didn't have drains does something to do with my bruising . Probably! Thank you for the tips :)
You can get bro slain tablets from your health food store that works great with the bruising. I have almost no bruising. Of course I began taking 3 days prior to surgery and continued for at least 3 weeks after. I took several a day on an empty stomach .