Wisdom Teeth Removal Changed my Facial Contour - Greenville, NC

It has been a year since my dentist removed my...

It has been a year since my dentist removed my right wisdom teeth due to a cavity in one that caused a lot of pain. His recommendation was to remove all of them but at the time I decided to do 2 and then come back a couple months later to remove the other 2.

I have delayed the removal of the other 2 because I have noticed significant change in my facial contour. I am not 100% sure why this has happened but I do know that it happened after my teeth were removed.

The right side of my face seems to be receding and my jaw looks shortened. I no longer have the fullness and volume that I once had on that side. My cheek seems to sag and caused a deeper nasolabial fold and larger under eye circle. Overall I feel like my face has lost it's youthful contour and makes me look older and more gaunt.

I have never had any issues with my face before up until now. It has caused a huge drop in self confidence and I only take pictures with my head tilted or on facing with my left side because I can not stand the way my face looks on the right side.

The only thing the dentist recommended was to remove the other 2 wisdom teeth so that I could have even symmetry. Well that's just great! Now I can have my entire face look 8 years older and not feel like myself. He made me feel as if I was vain and self centered by telling me that "Plastic surgery could be an option but that would be drastic for such a minute change in facial aesthetics. You should take a close look a magazines and see that not all models have symmetry." Ok...well I don't care about what models look like I just want my face to look like it did before my teeth were extracted.

Can a professorial please take a look at my pictures and tell me their opinions. I am not making this up in my head, the pictures prove the loss of either muscle, shortened jaw, something has happened and I would like to know what I should do next because I do not want to just settle for "Well that's it! Deal with it!"

I have included a picture of the way my face looked before the the wisdom teeth were removed. Please excuse the puffy eyes (just woke up) and lack of makeup. I figured makeup would cover up too much.

Note: Wisdom teeth removed only on my right side.

Hey Lori, I removed a wisdom teeth back in the Uk and when I went to Iran the dentist told my mum that the face could change but I didn't want to put braces on so I ignored. Biggest mistake of my life, one side of my face got bigger and my upper teeth shifted to the left. My nose shifted and my eyes slightly asymmetric, no matter what, I still can't find what my problem is and what to do with it but I think I'm gonna have to get braces. So sorry this has happened to you. If you managed to find out anything please keep me informed.
Hi Brit, I have a congenital condition that caused one side of my face to be smaller and have less tissue. A plastic surgeon just started a series of Sculptra injections and I believe this would be a good option for you. A very good facial plastic surgeon can help you but it's a "buyer beware" market so check out surgeon reviews online and get more than one consultation. Good luck...
Hi Brit,

I could be a special rare case =/ This does not happen often but the dentist said it is possible. My wisdom teeth grew in just fine and I actually still had room behind them. The only reason they were removed was because the dentist recommended it.

I'm 31 years old and I have just been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. I'm getting a second opinion next week so hopefully I'll get some kind of explanation and solution. I really hope this dentist can help me somehow =/

Hi Lori,

No fun at all. I too hope they can help. Let us know how it goes next week.

Thanks,

-Britt

Thank you Britt!
I sure will.

-Lori

Hi Lori,

Wow, I've never heard the removal of wisdom teeth changing the shape of someones the face, that's no fun at all. Have you decided are you going to have your second set removed? Thanks so much for the pictures. Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt