LASIK Was Expensive, Worthless for Me - Greensboro, NC

Following LASIK surgery, I could see 20/20 and was...

Following LASIK surgery, I could see 20/20 and was so excited as I was very very nearsighted. However, 5 years later, I am once again wearing contac lenses and glasses. Though my vision has regressed to the point it was initially, I am restricted to driving with them. I would NEVER have wasted $3400 if I had known I would once again be wearing contacs and glasses a few years later. I cannot financially afford to have the procedure repeated and probably wouldn't even if I could.

Dr. Robert Selkin

This doctor has relocated to Tennessee and no longer practices in North Carolina.

I had almost the identical experience. I loved my new vision at first, and when the vision started to fade, I had it re done. I now wear contacts and glasses again, and have the "floater" issues along with horrible night vision and halos.

Having said all of that, my vision without correction is still much better than it was pre op, so I would probably choose it again. At least my glasses are nice and thin now.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thanks so much Dr. Dornic for your kind offer. The experience has certainly left me less than happy with the results. : ( A blade was used to form the corneal flap initially and am wondering if this is also your method? Also, price is a concern. I will email you privately regarding these questions. Thanks again. Holly
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi there. I was 45 when I had LASIK and didn't require bifocals or anything at the time, just very nearsighted. I spent (wasted) a lot of money on this procedure and if you research lasik enhancements you will find it's not uncommon at all to require a repeat procedure. Hope this helps.
Hi Hollyjo, sorry to hear about this. would you mind telling us at what age this was done? I'd like to learn whether there is any age correlation. Thanks.
When I had the presurgical exam, my eye was fine except for some dryness so plugs were inserted also. The cornea thickness and everything was fine. All I've been told is that vision sometimes regresses (which I was not told about prior to surgery nor after until this happened) and repeat LASIK is required. When I search on the internet, it's not very rare at all. I was very very nearsighted prior to having LASIK, and while it's not to that point now, I do require glasses or contacts. If I had it to do over, would have saved that money, especially since I'm still having to purchase contacts and glasses. I had five years without correction and it was wonderful but definately not long term enough for me to justify the price.

Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience. I can see how it would be very disappointing to have to wear contacts & glasses again after having the procedure done.

I'm guessing since he has moved his practice it wouldn't make much of a difference now, but was a guarantee of any sort offered on the procedure?

No guarantee was offered other than an enhancement at no charge if substantial change occurred within the first twelve months following surgery. A doctor in Raleigh, NC is seeing his patients that need follow up and will redo the surgery for "only $3000" if I want to come in for a consultation. I think I'll pass on that. I was so excited following the surgery and it was AMAZING to be able to see but would not do it again as it's very expensive if the eyes regress and it's more common than I realized. The surgeon never mentioned that possibility either so I elected to have it thinking it would be "forever." : (

I would have thought the same thing. Did either doctor say anything about why this may have happened specifically to you, like the shape or thickness or your cornea wasn't ideal for the surgery, or anything like that so other people could keep in mind as they consider LASIK?