My breast reduction recovery story - Grand Rapids, MI

I wanted to have breast reduction done for a long...

I wanted to have breast reduction done for a long time. My breasts always hurt my back, they were too big for my frame, they made me look heavier than I actually was, and I was tired of being known as bustybarb. It's very hurtful to be teased about your breast size. For some reason no one understands this. They always say "I wish I had your problem". and on and on it goes. Guess what! You don't want my problem. I promise you! I feel so great without them hanging off my shoulders I can't even begin to tell you! And I can wear cuter clothes and not have to hide under baggy sweaters anymore. If you wear a cute turtleneck with a jacket over it when you have large breasts people look at you like you're a freak. It gets REALLY old.

These girls were taking over my ribcage.

A photo showing just how low and heavy they were. Notice when I lift one up how much more of my ribcage shows vs. the other side where it hangs and sits on my ribcage.

Photo Update

Healing process photos

More photos of healing and before and after shots.

Here are some photos showing my journey to healing. They are a bit out of order but each has a caption so you will be able to see my breast reduction progress.

Photo timeline of healing progress

I thought it might be helpful for someone who is about to have a BR to see a timeline review of incisions and healing process.

I hope it helps you. The earlier photos look scary, but they don't feel as bad as they look. Every week just brings more healing. I got frustrated around 2.5 weeks post-op because I hadn't yet turned a major corner, but at about 3 weeks post op, things seemed to really improve.

Photo update of healing progress

I meant to put these photos in a different review, but once you hit "Post Update" you can't go back and add….so here are a few photos of my healing journey.

Correction

I said earlier that at 3 weeks post-op things seemed to really improve and start healing. I meant at 4 weeks. Actually to be honest week 3 was probably the hardest - even worse than weeks 1 and 2 because of my expectations. I EXPECTED to be much better by that week and it was beginning to seem to drag on. I was getting bored and tired of being so in-active. Especially since it was the last weeks of summer! But I knew that resting and NOT being active pays off in the long run when it comes to healing. I did not want to risk a setback, so I resisted the urge to become more active and kept on resting.

Six weeks post-op photo

Posting my six-week anniversary photo. I noticed my surgeon used a different technique for the incisions. You can see my healing progress and the different incision technique in this photo. It's more of a curve than an "L" shape.

They are a bit red today. Nothing to be concerned about…It's the normal healing process.

Six weeks post-op photo

Six weeks post-op and my scar looks a bit red today, but overall everything is healing nicely. Such a change from weeks 1-3!
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Hammond uses the SPAIR technique. He created this technique himself, and it is a way of making the breast incisions have the least amount of scarring. He did an excellent job and am very happy with the end result. See my photos to see how the incisions differ from other breast reductions done by other surgeons. I recommend Dr. Hammond to anyone thinking of having breast surgery. Even if you don't live near Grand Rapids, it might be worth traveling here to have him as your surgeon. My scars (at six weeks post-op) are thin and less noticeable because of his technique. I am so happy with my results!

Just wondering what size you started at and what size you are now? Do you know how much he removed?
Blue asked me the same question. Here is what I told her: I was a 38 H before surgery (professionally measured). I could also wear a 40G. I had been cramming myself into a 38 DD for years before the professional measurement. My surgeon removed just over 700 grams from each breast. I think one was 704 and the other was 720. My size after BR is probably going to be a 38D. I was hoping for a C cup but utimately left it up to my surgeon to choose what he thought was best based on my height, weight, body shape etc. I am 5'7 and weigh about 170. Almost all my extra weight is carried in my belly. I hope to lose that belly soon! I hope this helps. I know before surgery I always wondered about what size would look best too. A lot depends on your ribcage bra measurement and height and weight, so if you are smaller overall a D cup might still be too big for you. Likewise if you are taller and heavier, a D might be too small. I would ask your surgeon and check out the before and after photos of his work to see if you trust his "eye" in this regard. Good luck!You're going to love the way you look even if it's not your perfect size. That's the attitude I adopted beforehand so I wouldn't freak out if they were not what I was expecting. Keep an open mind. It's gonna be great!
Amazing results! Interesting technique? Congrats.
Your breast before are about my size in length 36 ddd, and the perfect size I would like to be post what size where you before and now? Your pictures helped me get a great idea of what to expect
Hi Blue. I was a 38 H before surgery (professionally measured). I could also wear a 40G. I had been cramming myself into a 38 DD for years before the professional measurement. My surgeon removed just over 700 grams from each breast. I think one was 704 and the other was 720. My size after BR is probably going to be a 38D. I was hoping for a C cup but utimately left it up to my surgeon to choose what he thought was best based on my height, weight, body shape etc. I am 5'7 and weigh about 170. Almost all my extra weight is carried in my belly. I hope to lose that belly soon! I hope this helps. I know before surgery I always wondered about what size would look best too. A lot depends on your ribcage bra measurement and height and weight, so if you are smaller overall a D cup might still be too big for you. Likewise if you are taller and heavier, a D might be too small. I would ask your surgeon and check out the before and after photos of his work to see if you trust his "eye" in this regard. Good luck! You're going to love the way you look even if it's not your perfect size. That's the attitude I adopted beforehand so I wouldn't freak out if they were not what I was expecting. Keep an open mind. It's gonna be great!
6 week picture looks amazing! I can't wait to be at that stage!! Your pics are so encouraging and I'm so happy I took the plunge to be part of the tiny boob committee! X
Missy your new breasts look fantastic! Congratulations!
wow youre healing great! you look so good!
Thanks for progress photos. I am looking forward to to the next couple of weeks. My steritapes are still on and it has just been a week, so I can't really tell how my progress is, if any.
Don't worry MsBobcat…you'll see progress soon! The first three weeks are the most difficult. But so worth it!
you look so good!
You look great!
wonderful result, fits your body beautifully
Wow...congrats...you look fantastic!!! I had surgery august 18th and feel amazing...everyday gets better and better:)
Wow, you look FANTASTIC!! I can't wait for my surgery... only 2 weeks away!!! I loved your pics, thanks for posting!
Thanks MoonPye! You too are going to be so happy when its done!
Glad things are going well for you. I was wearing a 36G sometimes H cup and was unable to carry all the weight of my boobs, so I know how you feel. Again, so happy for you.
good luck, this will transform you. i had the surgery for the same reasons as you, hope you have read my review charting a normal recovery over 7 months
I agree it will change so many aspects of your life. I was a 30H! Am 5'7" and weigh 123 pounds, so you can tell how disproportionate my boobs were. I am 19 days post op, and a note for peediewife, not sure if your the right lady, but are you from Lincoln UK? I have moved 9 months ago from Lincoln to mid Wales. I had my surgery done in Cheltenham as I chose ny procedure on the surgeons credentials rather than where and who was closest to where I live.
Yep, i had my surgery in Lincoln, have lived in this area 2 years
Hope you're enjoying living there. I lived there all my life, but after both daughters flew the nest, me and my husband wanted an 'escape to the country' and a fresh start which included a new look and a healthier way of life. I love my new shape, and would like to say thank you for documenting your journey, to help others going through similar. I have my new boobies and my husband has just bought a motorbike..he hasn't ridden one for 20yrs..mid life crisis for us both I think!
Ha ha, my husband has had a motorbike since he was 50, we sort of escaped FROM the country to move here, live in a large village with all amenities only 15 minutes into Lincoln after 18 years of life in the middle of nowhere where even a pint of milk involved using the car.....I think it is easier to be active in a town than it is in the middle of nowhere because you can walk places for a purpose!!!!
I understand what you're saying..we live in a nice village and it's great to have amenities near by..we made sure we weren't 'in the middle of nowhere' keep us posted on your journey, and weight loss, you've done brilliantly, I'm hoping to lose perhaps 8 pound..it's just this flippin jelly belly! Take care x
Good luck! I got marked the day of my surgery. I got to take a shower the morning of the surgery too.
congrats! you look great! :D