My 60th Birthday Present to Myself-Getting Healthy. Grand Rapids, MI

I had a breast reduction in November 2012 and...

I had a breast reduction in November 2012 and tummy tuck in March 2013. I've tried every diet possible to lose weight, but find myself heavier than before the above 2 surgeries that cut and sucked probably 20+ lbs. off me. My weight is approx. 240, BMI 39, I'm 5'5" and will be 60 years old January 20, 2015. I need to get healthy. This year my doctor told me I'm pre-diabetic. In March my A1C was 6.3, thru some dieting and exercising I was able to get it down to 6.0 which is still prediabetic. I have had high cholesterol for probably 30+ years (I take medication), non-alcoholic fatty liver (which will eventually attack my liver just like liver scerosis), vericose veins, tingling in hands & feet, high blood pressure, sleep apnea (never diagnosed but I wake up gasping for air), short of breath, lots of arthritis in my joints that hurt more due to obesity. I tell people during my adult life time I've lost about 1,000 lbs and gained 1,100 lbs. I'm sure I've screwed up my metabolism and it's time to do something to get healthy before I find myself taking insulin shots and all the complications that come with diabetes and the other chronic ailments I have. I mentioned to my Dr. that I was seriously thinking about the Gastric sleeve procedure (after my diabetic class in his office) hoping he wouldn't think I'm lazy since I can't lose the weight. He totally surprised me when he told me he agreed 100% that it was the best option out there for me to lose & maintain my weight for the rest of my life. I was gifted some money from my Mom which will pay the $18,000 I've been quoted by St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI so I can have the surgery 30 miles from home. I have friends who have gone thru them and are extremely happy with the outcome. I have filled out the paperwork, have had many of the required tests done, my insurance will not cover this surgery so no waiting there. I'm going to their free seminar on Aug. 9th (1 week away) and hope to be able to move ahead quickly. I've asked my husband to go with me and hope he will to understand the process. After my TT he said "no more surgeries" so I want to get him involved and excited for me. I'm sure I'll be blogging alot like I did with my other 2 surgeries. I don't anticipate having nearly the pain/problems with this that I did my TT 16 months ago.

Before pics

I've never minded having my picture taken, even thou I've been a big woman most my life. I know many big women hide from the camera and wear dark clothes-not me. I believe big women can dress well and carry themselves proudly. Hope that self-confidence comes thru in my pictures. I'm looking forward to having my pictures taken after I lose weight.

Raring to go more than ever.......

My husband & I attended free seminar regarding gastric surgeries. I was the first person thru the door to register (after sitting in front of the building 30 min. waiting for them to open), I sat in front row (the only one) in front of our speaker Dr. Foote who is one of 4 bariatric surgeon at Grand Health Partners. With 4 partners there is always a bariatric surgeon on call. There's no need to go to the ER with complications. He went thru the different procedures and explained they take out more gastric bands than they put in since gastric sleeve works so well. He said he can complete gastric sleeve surgery in 1 hour and 17 minutes. The practice has done 8,000 gastic procedures. He had graphs showing the patient satisfaction percentages for each procedure. He gave me alot of confidence. They have before & after support classes. They will not do surgery on anyone who has mental issues or who smoke (they do nicotine testing) since this hinders healing and can lead to a host of health issues. Their practice does require the 2 week liquid diet before surgery. They will have follow-up appointments with me 3, 6, 12, 18 mos. and annually for the rest of my life. I can also continue to attend any of their support classes that I want. I like having support after my surgery 30 min. from my home. This is one of the reasons I'm not willing to fly off to Mexico for this procedure. They complete their surgeries at St. Mary's Hospital where each person has a private room and will stay 1-2 days. He said in our area 99% of their surgeries are covered by health insurance once you jump thru all the insurance hoops. I'm definantly the 1% minority doing self-pay. My husband attended with me and is on my side to have the surgery since my general practicianer endorsed this weight loss surgery 100% to help with my co-obesity chronic health issues. I've been ordering my supplies: 2 different kinds of whey protein, biotin, liquacel, torani syrups, gummy vitamins, vitamin D, calorie-protein-carb book and high protein/low carb protein bars. I'm calling Monday morning to start lining up the psych test and to review what medical tests I need before I can have the surgery. I would like to be on top of everything and be scheduled for surgery with in 1 month. That would give me 4 mos. to lose as much weight as possible before I turn the BIG 60.

Pushing forward....

I called Grand Health Partners when they opened at 8:30 this morning. I was able to schedule my Dr. White internalist appointment for Monday Aug. 25th (2 weeks from today) and also schedule Fri. Aug. 29th for my Psych test & Surgeon Dr. Foote for that day. I would gladly schedule my surgery date but guess I have to do these meetings before they will move forward. I would of like to get into the internalist sooner but Dr. Sandy the 2nd internalist is on vacation this whole time. Oh well I need to practice patience.

Waiting & planning.....

I'm getting the supplies that I've been ordering since starting this journey. I have my chewy vitamins, biotin, vitamin D, protein power, liquaCel and Isopure-160 calories, zero carb, 40g protein drinks, zero calorie flavoring for my protein drinks and new pj's for the hospital. Today I went shopping with my daughter to get school clothes for granddaughter who will start school in less than 3 weeks. Since we had the day out alone we also went to Lane Bryant. I didn't plan to buy any new clothes since I won't be wearing 20-22W for much longer. So to give me motivation I bought new clothes in size 14-16. I even bought a new cinch waist little black dress in size 16. I know none of it will fit me right now, but I'll keep trying everything on until they do fit me after my surgery. I also bought new sexy bras in size 38C & 40C, I currently wear 44C. Only 8 days until I meet with the internalist, and 12 days until I meet with psych & my surgery doctor. This is real and time is moving on. I'm more than excited to put this behind me and start losing the 60-70# that has gotten too comfortable riding around on this body.

More before pics & (too small) Size 18's

I'm going to include some new before sleeve photos with better lighting. I also ordered 2 size 18 (regular womens sizes not W) dresses and a size XL top. I thought I'd take my 'before' photos with these very tight clothes then some of my 'after sleeve/weight loss' pictures when these clothes actually fit me, instead of my 'big' (before surgery) clothes as I loose weight. Hope that makes sense.

Tests-Tests-Tests

I went to the internalist today. They performed the EKG in their offices. I was so anxious & nervous I thought I'd have a panic attack (had a tight chest) and my heart was racing. So the internalist thought my heart murmer was loud and said I'd need a new echocardiogram (the last one was 2 yrs ago) and gave me an order for a bunch of bloodwork tests. So now I'm doing my fasting bloodwork tomorrow and waiting to get an appointment for the new echocardiogram. I see the behaviorist & surgeon on Friday. The Dr. today thought my surgery would be scheduled soon since I'm a self-pay.

Moving-Moving-Moving forward.....237.5lbs & 39.5 BMI, 49.3% fat

My official "before" numbers are: 237.5 lbs, 39.5 BMI, 49.3% fat, 117.0 fat mass. My goal weight will be 150-160, I have to be 150# (max) to get to the very high end of "normal" body weight. Desireable range for fat is 23-34% (mine is 49.3) with 36.0-62.0 lb fat mass (mine is 117.0). The real numbers will be when I have A1C of less than 6% (no longer prediabetic), and can quit taking pills for other health issues.
I did all my fasting blood/urine tests today. The results will be sent directly to the internalist (Dr. Dawn White) who ordered them. I have my echocardiogram scheduled for this Thursday with results also sent to Dr. White. Friday is behaviorist & surgeon visit. I'm hoping all my tests will be with the internalist this week or 1st of next week. On Friday I'm going to ask to set a surgery date. Wanna keep moving forward.

I'm getting sleeved and starting my new life on 9-15-2014

Met with behaviorist today and he didn't see any reason I wouldn't be a good candidate. Then met with Dr. Foote and we were able to set surgery date for Monday September 15th (17 days away). He could of actually done surgery on Sept. 8th but I have a mammogram & need to be at the hospital with my Mom on the 10th. On Monday Sept 8th I go into their office for a 4-5 hour training class. Since my BMI is (barely at 39.5) below 40 I only have to do 800 calorie/per day pre-surgery diet for 1 week. Also I do not have to do all liquids like some people report. The sugeons office had my blood/urine tests results and should have my echocardiogram (I had done yesterday) in their office by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. My blood/urine tests were all within 'normal' range except my A1C was showing 6.3 again (was 6.0 in July) which is a measure of my blood sugar. I'm hoping after surgery to have this below 5.7 which is 'normal'. I need to hold off diabetes for a few more years. This will give me 4 mos. & 5 days to get off as much weight as possible before I turn 60 years old on Jan. 20, 2015. Dr. Foote explained post-surgery my diet will be liquid for 2 weeks then soft food for 4weeks. Also great news was I can continue my water aerobics right up until the day of surgery and get back in the pool 2 weeks after surgery. I'm so excited I think I'll burst!

Future health issues without GSV surgery

A couple health issues that are going to be bad if I don't get this weight off. My non-alcoholic fatty liver will attack my liver and destroy it like liver scerosis. My Dr. has told me this is extremely painful and can/will eventually kill a person. Also, with all the heart problems in my family carrying all this weight in my middle will definantly affect my heart in the future, if it hasn't already. When I talked to Dr. Foote 3 days ago he told me that the abdomon/middle fat responds very quickly after gastric sleeve surgery and should be some of the first fat that is gone with surgery & weight loss. This was very encouraging to me since I want this middle fat gone-gone-gone. My surgery is 2 weeks from today.....can't wait to join the (weight) losers! I also found a new website with lots of pictures: obesityhelp.com

Debbie Downer or Gym Addicted?

I run into a acquaintenance today. She had heard I was having gastric surgery & asked me why. I tried to explain to her (she's probably 30 yrs old) that I'm having health issues and need to get the weight off permanently. She told me she knows several people who have gastric surgery and put it back on. I understand that. Most days she spends 3-5+ hours at the gym working out. I give her alot of credit since she's lost around 120# just with diet & exercise. At almost 60 years old I'm too tired, old and hurt all over to spend 3-5 hours at the gym and I want to have a life after I do my water aerobics. I wished her well and walked away. She hasn't worked in many years she receives disability checks for her croans disease yet has the energy to spend countless hours working out. Why do people need to put down a decision we've made to better ourselves? If I could lose my weight and keep it off I would.

6 days to sleeve

I spent 4 hours at surgeons office doing pre-surgery appointment. My head is spinning with all this info. I have to have last minute blood tests done to make sure my levels of everything are good. My weight was down to 234.8 today. I immediately start my presurgery diet of 600-800 calories per day. I'm thankful I only have to do this for 6 days and not 2 weeks like those with BMI above 40. My post-op 2 week & 6 week appointments were set. I have to quit taking all supplements plus my premarin, aspirin & celebrex for the next 3 weeks since they are afraid of blood clots. I can use tylenol for my arthritic hands but not looking forward to them getting worse like they did when I went off celebrex before a previous surgery. I'm now thinking that most of the supplies I've already bought (probably $400-$500 worth) are worthless since my surgeons office had me buy their products since the calorie & protein levels are what they require. I have 6 days of presurgery meals & 14 days post surgery meals and the cost was $348.75. I did some extra supplies for variety since some items come in boxes of 7 and I don't want to eat the same thing everyday. The doctor suggested we start taking biotin immediately to help prevent hair loss. Also, taking their vitamins & iron. So before you start ordering protein powder, vitamins, etc. see what your surgeon suggests. I will continue with my low calorie meals until Sunday at 6PM, then only liquids until midnight, then nothing until my surgery at 3:30 on Monday. I was glad to hear that Michigan is the gold standard (among all states) regarding gastric surgeries. Everyone in my class is part of a survey group (along with 5,000 other patients who have this surgery every year) where our information is sent to University of Michigan where they review all parts of the bariatric procedures & processes to make it better. We were told that bariatric doctors from all over the U.S. come to Grand Health Partners to learn how to do this procedure. Glad I'm being operated on by the experts.

For comparison...

3 days and I'm going to get VERY hungry before surgery.

I've done my last minute blood/urine tests and had to answer questions to surgeons office why my urine was clear on Aug. 26th & Sept. 11th but showing an infection in between. I went to my family Dr. with urinary tract infection, took antibiotics and now it's cleared up. I Did my registration and everything I needed with hospital. The scheduler at the hospital called today and gave me my surgery time of 3:50 on Monday. The hard part is going to be NO food Sunday after 6 only clear liquids until midnight then NOTHING until after surgery. Can you say 22 hours between last light meal and surgery??? I'm thinking of setting my alarm for 11-12 and having some high protein clear soup. I'm already waking up at 2-4AM every morning starving and can't sleep, how will I get by another 12 hours without food or water? Not excited about this part of the process but will get by I know. Maybe I'm getting a bit nervous (and hungry on approx. 1,000 calories per day) now. Keep strong my gastric sisters!

1st meal after sleeve.

The little cups are my breafast. I'm doing so well I may get to leave this afternoon. That would be less than 24 hours post surgery.

Finally sleeved!

Monday my surgery time was set for 3:50, we got to the hospital around 1:30, which made for a long day since I hadn't eat/drink since 9PM Sunday night. They finally came for me a little after 5 for surgery. I remember being in the surgery room, then nothing until I woke up in recovery. As soon as I woke up I was taken to my private room. Since I've had MIRSA in the past every doctor, nurse, cleaning lady, etc that came in my room had to put a blue plastic full apron on. The waste baskets were always full of blue plastic aprons. I was taken for a walk around midnight the night of surgery then around 4AM. In between anytime I would get to sleep someone else would come in and wake me. Plus they needed my bed head up 45 degrees so that makes it a bit hard to sleep also. Tuesday morning I went up the elevator to a floor with a chapel, beautiful grand piano and beautiful places to sit & relax. They have a courtyard & I went out there (pushing my pole with my IV solution) and let the sun shine on my face for awhile. Tuesday everyone came in and said I was doing super since I'd quit the pain med pump around 4AM and hadn't had anything else for pain. Finally one nurse said as long as I was doing so well I could go home if I wanted. So I took that to mean soon, I called hubby and started bagging my stuff up. In reality "soon" actually turned into 5-6 hours of getting my pain meds and the doctors to sign off, etc. As soon as I got home I went to sleep in my bed without anyone poking and proding me. I finally got up and heated up some core protein drink (chocolate) and sipped on that-it was just like hot chocolate. Then I started trying to push the liquids and then I took a valium and went back to bed. I was up around midnight hurting-so I had to drink some protein & liquids before taking another pain pill. I found I could sleep on my back pain free, but when I rolled over to my sides everything hurt. It's Wednesday, I'm home and able to relax, and nap when I need. In the hospital they said the liquids are much more important than the protein at this point. I'm trying to get both in. I'm glad the surgery is over and I'm home to rest and heal. I'm hoping every day will be a bit better. They must of pumped alot of liquids in me at the hospital since my weight is up 5# since surgery. Thank-you for all the caring & prayers....Judy

3 days post-op exercise-exercise-exercise

These are my thoughts-they may or may not be true. I believe with the low calorie diet before surgery and 21 hours before surgery with no food or water, major surgery on the stomach, then 16 hours of IV fluids only, that my stomach virtually fell asleep and forgot how to work. Of course when trying to put food (liquids only) down there it became VERY angry at the idea of having to wake-up and do it's job again. I've been out of the hospital 2 full days and I feel better each day and even notice how I feel better at night than I did that same morning. Yesterday I was able to get in 60 min of walking, 46 g protein & 42 oz of liquid in my very angry stomach. Today it's being a bit more cooperative so todays totals are: 60 min of walking/bike riding, 65 g protein & 66 oz of liquids and I'm feeling pretty darn good since I had major surgery 3 days ago. It's not easy getting in the nutrients but I want to feel good & I want to heal so I'm taking little sips & making big progress. Also I truly believe I'm doing so well since I was doing alot of water aerobics & bicyling right up to the night before surgery. I also got up the morning (1-1/2 days post surgery) and went outside and proceded to walk my driveway-very slowly. Each walk was a little easier and I kept walking. Today I didn't take my heavy duty pain meds only tylenol so I decided I could safely ride my bike on our busy road-and I went 3 miles without getting overly tired. I will keep riding my bike farther & farther everyday and drinking my water and drinking my protein while I heal this angry tummy of mine. It would be easy to lay around complaining about the pain (believe me it's there) but I don't feel that is the solution. My daughter & her family came over tonight and couldn't believe how good I'm doing. I'm actually surprised how good I'm doing also but I'm going to keep working to get better everyday. This morning my fingers were so swollen I couldn't get my wedding ring on, tonight I have my ring on and it's sliding around so I'm thinking I'm losing some of that IV fluid. Thank you for all your well wishes, Judy

Does acid reflux cause coughing?

Okay I need help here. A couple nights ago I kept coughing & coughing all night. It was really hurting my abdomon when I kept coughing. It felt like I had a tickle in my throat. So the next day I sucked on cough drops most the day trying to get rid of that nasty cough. Even with sucking cough drops at times I'd cough really hard, it was uncontrollable. At one time I wondered if I was coming down with a cold or bronchittis, but since I haven't gotten any worst and don't feel like I'm getting sick I can't figure it out. I've had acid reflux for years and controlled it very well with Nexium. Dr. Foote told me I had a hyhenal hernia that he repaired and I would need to continue to take the Nexium for 2 months until this healed, then I shouldn't have anymore acid reflux. I had a friend tell me yesterday that she was always coughing before she was diagnosed with acid reflux & now that she's on medication she doesn't have problems anymore. So, I'm going to try to take Nexium twice a day and see if that helps with this problem. Has anyone else had this issues either before or after surgery?

Down 18# in less than one month.....I'm THRILLED! 1 week post-op.

I started my journey with the free seminar on August 8th. First appointment at Grand Health Partners was Aug. 25th when I weighed 237.5#. With my own lower calorie eatting plan, 1 week low calorie pre-surgery eatting plan and 1 WEEK after surgery I weigh in at 119.5#. I feel that I'm well on my way to a healthier and thinner life. Has it been easy-no, but the best things in life aren't easy. Keep the faith WLS sisters!

Acid reflux

After being on hold 45 minutes at Grand Health Partners (trying to return their call of yesterday) and leaving a very angry message they called me back on my cell phone like I asked and I was able to talk with the nurse about my coughing at night that I thought might be acid reflux. She said she was in the office alone and trying to prioritize the most urgent messages to return first. I sure know there were lots of PA's and nurses at the hospital (from Grand Health Partners) when I was there, maybe some of them need to stay in the office & help with the phones instead of wanding the hospital halls. If they are short staffed because of Monday surgeries then they should make follow-up calls on days when they have more people to call & answer the phone. While I was out riding bike the PA called (on my home phone again) and I didn't even bother trying to call back since I know how that'll end. Anyway the nurse called on my cell phone (like I've asked them to do since I'm never home) and told me the coughing was acid reflux and if I'm already taking 2 nexium per day I can also take another type of antacid. Something I didn't know-I shouldn't eat, drink or take any pills within 1 hour of laying down or going to bed at night. This will also cause acid reflux. If they told me that previously I forgot, but I don't think I was told. Also we went to an unfamiliar restaurant for supper, my soup choices-creamy broccolli or chili. I had the creamy broccolli and had the worst gas cramps ever. Just a few more things I'm learning on my sleeved journey. 70 minutes of biking & walking today. All is well tonight.....hope it is with you also.

Nine days post-op

I took a picture this morning and compared to one earlier this summer.

10 days post-op. !st week vs 2nd week post-op

THE FIRST WEEK: after surgery is rough, like any surgery. When I came home less than 24 hours after surgery my stomach was still extremely swollen and not very accepting of liquids of any kind, but I kept sipping to get my fluids & proteins (didn't reach goals first couple of days). It would of taken me an hour to get down 8-12 oz of liquids. There wasn't any way I could lay down that was comfortable. I had problems with acid reflux making me cough at night. I felt a bit deprived not being able to go out to eat (something we do alot). The first few days I only walked 10 min. at a time. Within few days I was riding my bike & walking longer distances. I went shopping 4 days PO and got a bit tired out, hot at one point and wasn't sure if I wouldn't be sick. SECOND WEEK AFTER SURGERY: I'm getting all my nutrients in without problem, still using surgeon store meals. I can get in 8oz. of ground up soupy oatmeal AND 4oz. of liquid to take all my morning pills within 15-20 minutes. I'm down 19.5# from my 1st doctors appointment 1 month ago today. My measurements from my bust to my hip are EACH down 2-2.5". I walked/rode my bike over 2 hours yesterday (3 different trips). I had to look around but was able to eat in a restaurant (1/2 bowl chicken noodle soup mostly broth & soft noodles). I took my ground up meal to friends last night who invited us over for a meal. I'm learning to deal with eatting situations that would of caused me stress last week. I'm riding my bike up town (1.5 mi each way) this morning for my 8AM hair cut/color then working in the office of the local funeral home for a few hours. I go back to surgeon tomorrow and hope he will release me to go back to my water aerobics and see all my pool friends. One more step in 'getting back to normal'. I hope this helps all my WLS sisters. Let me know if you have any questions, Thanks, Judy

Don't want to do that AGAIN

I've been doing so well I decided to have a bit of soft fish and zucchini squash. I chewed every little bite really good. Well it started feeling like I was swallowing a baseball, then it started hurting. I kept burping trying to get up the trapped gas. I headed to the bathroom and threw up everything I'd eatten. I've never done that, I've felt uncomfortable like I ate too much or too fast but never to the point of actually thowing up. I'm now having popsicles for supper trying to calm down my stomach. Won't do that again for awhile.

handy little card

I received this card at surgeons office yesterday. It states that the person with this card has had a medical procedure which requires small amounts of food to be eatten. Please allow this person to order off the child's or senior menu.

3 weeks post-op down 26.5#

I'm trying a few more foods, which don't always agree with me. I've had a couple bouts of diarrhea and I've thrown up a few times but I've learned that's all part of learning my new sleeved stomach. I started at 137.5# 6 weeks ago, I'm at 111.0# today. I lost 12# in the 3 weeks before surgery and have lost 14.5# since my surgery 3 weeks ago today. I hope all is going well for my soon to be WLS sisters and my recent WLS sisters of the shrinking pants. Gotta just keep exercising, trying new things and keep plugging along on my weight loss journey. I'm starting to get more comments from friends who are noticing the significant weight loss......always good for the ego and motivation for sure.

I means 237.5 & 211.0#

I posted my weight wrong-of course you know that since I wouldn't of needed this surgery if I started at 137.5#.

4weeks post op

I'm going to post some new pictures to show the difference in how I look. I'm wearing smaller size clothes than I have in a long time. I've lost 2-1/2" off my abdomen (caused by fatty liver) which helps a lot. I still have a long way to go.

5 weeks post op (tomorrow) and enjoying lots of new foods.

My weight has done a bit of up and down in the past couple of weeks. I was up 5# in 3 days, now I'm down 6#. As long as I'm following the program and my clothes are getting loser I'm not going to let the scales bum me out. I've really been enjoying a few new foods lately that I haven't been able to eat in a LONG time. I had scrambled eggs one day (I haven't had eggs in probably 2 months), then a couple days later I tried a bacon/cheese omlette and it was delicious. Yesterday I had a small tossed salad (with dressing) , 3-4 large breaded shrimp and even a few green beans. It feels so good to order off a restaurant menu without worrying if I'll throw up after I eat. Today I had roast pork that tasted sooooo good. Luckily our local restaurant let us order 1 meal and split it. I'm not able to eat nearly as much as I used to (which is a good thing), but having a variety of regular foods is heaven for me. I have tried ground hamburger a few times (meatloaf) and each time I end up feeling like I have a rock in my stomach. I talked with a friend who's been sleeved about a year and she said beef is the worst-so guess I'll have to stick with chicken, turkey, pork & fish for awhile. I'm enjoying my new food freedom. How are my WLS doing?

5+ weeks po, down 30.5# and feeling good about myself until I saw PA today.

I'm 5 weeks + 3 days post op with my sleeve. Today was my 6 week appointment at Grand Health Partners Offices. I met with dietician first and she went over new foods with me and explained that when I throw up and have alot of slime it's what they call 'foamies'. She was very nice & was happy with me trying new foods. I figured out that I'm getting less than the 60-80 grams of protein I need per day so I bought their nutrition bars to eat between meals which will give me an additional 14-15 g of protein with each bar. I will continue to eat the surgeons oatmeal w/skim milk to keep the protein level high of my breakfast meal. Then I met with the Exercise Physiologist who was extremely pleased with the fact that I do aerobic aqua classes/self water exercising 5-7 days per week. She did go over some strength training exercises that would be good for me to add to my exercise routine. THEN came the PA. I was eatting a protein bar when he came in. He told me I was eatting WAY too fast. I should be taking smaller bites & chewing each piece 20-25 times before swollowing. I told him about throwing up and he told me that could damage my staple line and I should not be eatting too fast or too much or the wrong foods that would cause me to throw up. I told him about going away for a few days and having trouble finding food, he told me I MUST plan for these events ahead of time. Then I asked him why I had diarrhea when I ate yogurt, oatmeal & skim milk-he told me it was a lactose intolerant thing (How was I supposed to know?) Then he told me I MUST journal (I know I've been enjoying not doing this) either on paper or myfitnesspal to make sure I'm getting in the 60-80 grams of protein per day. I was VERY turned off by his personality and definantly felt like he talked down to me, like 5+ weeks after surgery I should know all this and be doing it. He said I'll be much more successful in my weight loss & maintaining my weight loss if I journal. So now I guess I'll be keeping better records. I have to go in for a bunch of blood work in 4 weeks then my 3 mos. appt. in 6 weeks to go over all this again & see how I'm doing. I was excited going to my appointment today with my weight loss success and left feeling pretty down after my 'scolding' from the PA.

6 weeks post op- doing great!

Enjoying my 6 week (today) post-operative life more & more!

I started at 237.5# and this morning I'm at 204# (down 33.5#) so it won't be long before I'm BELOW 200# for the first time in a long time. I started with a BMI of 39.5 and I'm now at 33.9 BMI which is still in the obesity range. I'm focusing more on getting all my protein (60-80 grams) and my water (64 oz still not happening) and I'm feeling much better about my weight loss. After my 2 week doctors appointment I focused more on what new foods I could eat (mashed potatoes & gravy) instead of on the protein & water and it slowed down my weight loss-my mistake. I'm seeing people at 1 month (on realself) who have lost 40# and aiming for 50# at 6 weeks and here I'm at 33.5# at 6 weeks. I now have my priorities reset and I'm moving forward on my weight loss journey. Wishing the best to my new WLS sisters and those who are going to be having surgery. I'm so enjoying the compliments and my new smaller clothes that are getting baggy already.

just a funny

Don't just watch the scales...watch the inches also....they really tell the story.

I'm 7 weeks post-op today. I wish I could say I had a big weight loss since last week but in actuality it's only been 1/2# for the past week. Since I can literally feel my body becoming tighter and smaller (my clothes are fitting differently) I'm not worried about the small difference on the scales. Since Sept. 1st (2 weeks pre-op) I measure myself each month. I'm VERY happy with these numbers for sure. I'm down: bust-4" (mostly back & side fat), below bra-3" (also back & sides), thickest part of my abdomon-5", around at belly button-5.5", around at Tummy tuck-4.5", Arms & thighs-atleast 2" each. I'm sooo happy with these numbers.

8 weeks po. Down 38#. Saw 199# today.

My stall has ended and the scales is moving again. I stepped on the scales this morning (my weekly weigh-in) and was greeted with 199#. I thought that was a reason to celebrate so I'm wearing a new size 16 bathing suit to water aerobics today. Hope all my wls sisters are plugging along with me. This is not a sprint (like other diets) but a marathon!

Did some retail therapy to celebrate being in ONEderland.

It was fun trying on size 14's which I bought a pair of black pants and XL in juniors black pull-on skirt. I don't think I've ever wore junior sizes, always misses or women's. Had a fun time trying on clothes.

All the (half) pounds are important. 198.5#, 38.5# loss at 9 weeks post-op.

Well my grand total weight loss for the week is half a pound. Of course I always think it should be more but it's sure better than gaining weight. Hope all my WLS sisters (pre and post-surgery) are chugging along like I am. It's a marathon....not a sprint.

10 week updated pictures

I'm down another 1/2 # to 198.0 since I posted last week. I've some new comparison pictures. I don't have a fancy computer program for beginning/after pictures so please bear with my low-tech pictures. Hope everyone is doing well and has a happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving and losing.

Dr. James A. Foote

I've been given a great review from a friend who had this surgery. She loved her surgeon Dr. Baker who is with Grand Health Parnters weight management team. After looking at their 4 partner doctor reviews I know they are all very, very qualified in this procedure. My free seminar was conduced by Dr. James A. Foote, M.D.,FACS-General Bariatric Surgery today and I have decided on having him do my surgery.